Ptsd Added To List Of Qualifying Conditions

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/lara/Medical_Marihuana_PTSD_Final_Determination_Statement_031414_450457_7.pdf

RICK SNYDER DEPARTMENT OF LICENSING AND REGULATORY AFFAIRS STEVE ARWOOD
GOVERNOR LANSING DiRECTOR

March 14, 2014

I have received and reviewed the recommendation of the March 6, 2014, meeting
of the Michigan Medical Marihuana Review Panel. The Panel has recommended
that Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) be added to the list of qualifying
conditions allowed under Michigan law.

The panel voted 6-2 in favor of PTSD as a qualifying condition. The Chief
Medical Executive of the state of Michigan was an affirmative vote for approval.
In any decision I make, I must carefully consider the recommendation of the
Chief Medical Executive and members of the Panel. Further, as this is the first
time that the list of qualifying conditions has been expanded outside of the
original 2008 citizen initiative making this law, very careful consideration must be
given.

While I am approving the recommendation, i do remain very concerned with the
scope of this approval and the process in general. It is not within the scope of
my authority to condition the recommendation or make changes to the process.

However, i can state my concerns.

First, the condition of PTSD is a mental heaith issue. Granting this approval
steps Michigan away from the use of marihuana for disease of the body or
chronic pain symptoms of a physicai nature.

Second, veterans receiving VA benefits should consult their veteran service
officer or the VA facility from which they are receiving care to find out how the
use of medicain prescribed marihuana affects their individual treatment plan.

Third, although the citizen initiated action of 2008 allows for the provision of
medical marihuana to patients under the age of 18, I remain concerned that there
may be insufficient evidence on the effect of marihuana on minors.

Finaily, it remains my belief that expansion of the statute should be in the hands
of the iegislature, not the Director of the Department of Licensing and Regulatory
Affairs. Given that the legislature is currently discussing several marihuana
reiated topics, further legalization efforts belong with our elected representatives.

I put my trust in the medical professionals in Michigan to certify the use of
medical marihuana for PTSD with the utmost care and attention to the patient
seeking asistance.

Steve Arwood
Director

Edited by t-pain

since when is adding ptsd a 'legalization effort' ?

First, the condition of PTSD is a mental heaith issue. Granting this approval
steps Michigan away from the use of marihuana for disease of the body or
chronic pain symptoms of a physicai nature.

isnt Agitation of Alzheimer’s Disease a mental health issue?

In early stages of the (alzheimer's) disease, people may experience personality changes such as irritability, anxiety or depression. In later stages, other symptoms may occur, including sleep disturbances; agitation (physical or verbal outbursts, general emotional distress, restlessness, pacing, shredding paper or tissues, yelling); delusions (firmly held belief in things that are not real); or hallucinations (seeing, hearing or feeling things that are not there).

Edited by t-pain

Alzheimer's is a neurodegenerative disease and PTSD is currently viewed as a psychiatric issue. It almost seems to me like mental health issues are code for 'we don't know'. I think they're finding more and more that many of the conditions that they have been uncertain of the pathogenesis of often are directly linked with the ECS. Like PTSD. 

THE ENDOCANNABINOID SYSTEM PROVIDES AN AVENUE FOR EVIDENCE‐BASED TREATMENT DEVELOPMENT FOR PTSD

Predator threat stress promotes long lasting anxiety-like behaviors and modulates synaptophysin and CB1 receptors expression in brain areas associated with PTSD

excellent news

as a combat vet who suffers from PTSD i can say with confidence this is a move in the right direction

i will definitely be taking this new information to my local VA counselors :)

many people with PTSD need an alternative method to calm the turmoil... cannabis offers an excellent opportunity not only for medication relief but includes self perpetuating healing through the actions of maintaining a living garden..

This is really the first time the medical community of Michigan has weighed in on the program as a whole. This is basic approval for cannabis as medicine, too.

i want to warn you to stop that way of thinking.

frequently the panel would say that 'they dont want to recommend marijuana to people as a treatment for (whatever petition was in front of them)'. please take some time to review the panel videos that are available, or ask hayduke for his opinion. i think the exact quote was "i dont want to encourage the use of marijuana".

the panels job is not to recommend marijuana as a treatment, nor is it the panels job to evaluate or approve the medical use of marijuana.

the panels only job is to add qualifying conditions to the law so it will protect patients from arrest or prosecution if they used marijuana via recommendation from their doctor.

if you dont believe me, feel free to call or write the panel members and ask them yourself.

panel member list is found here http://www.michigan.gov/lara/0,4601,7-154-10573_42794-307197--,00.html

Edited by t-pain

Lol 

It won't be easy to get your Medical Records from the V.A 

it is actually extremely easy to get records from the VA

the VA is currently setting the standards for health care...

they have the website myhealthevet.com and every single interaction with your doctor is available for your review, download and print.

you can access your military records anywhere there is an Internet connection.

Awesome news! 

Thank you to the panel members and everyone involved for seeing this through :gym:

I do have issue with Mr. Arwoods' letter however.

1st. I have to wonder how much attention was actually paid to this statement given

the lack of editing. 

2nd.  'Marihuana' is not currently 'prescribed' at all.

Now... will Governor Snyder actually sign this?

it is actually extremely easy to get records from the VA

the VA is currently setting the standards for health care...

they have the website myhealthevet.com and every single interaction with your doctor is available for your review, download and print.

you can access your military records anywhere there is an Internet connection.

Thanks i've never have been able to have that site work for me and i have tried many times and as soon as i get to the end  of going thought the steps it tells me to call back at another time but i will try again soon 

Thanks again 

excellent news

as a combat vet who suffers from PTSD i can say with confidence this is a move in the right direction

i will definitely be taking this new information to my local VA counselors :)

many people with PTSD need an alternative method to calm the turmoil... cannabis offers an excellent opportunity not only for medication relief but includes self perpetuating healing through the actions of maintaining a living garden..

John I have to agree with you!  mm most def makes people feel better, and the gardening gives you peice of mind to say the least, there is nothing better than bonding with your grow room and making your own medication!  good post my friend!

Peace

Perhaps it will finally be apparent to public officials like Senator Rick Jones that you don't have to look sick to use medical marijuana.

Yea I hear that, we are not all in wheel chairs or bed ridden, just like all of the people on narco's, why is it the narcos that can kill people are so much more acceptable than mm, My whole family seen me on narcotics to try and live pain free, only to see me almost die going thru with draw, my old man is an old school retired cop and he dont want to see me on narco's He would rather see me do mm, we do alot togethr and it took a while to rap his mind around mm, but he has, he has seen me use it, and he see's that it dont make me all messed up like my old narco's did!

any rep or senator needs to know they will not have a job if they dont follow what their voters want, we need to kick all out of there.  who is not for mm, whether they are repub or dem, lets clear the slate and put people in there that have a heart and cant be bought!

Peace

Thanks i've never have been able to have that site work for me and i have tried many times and as soon as i get to the end  of going thought the steps it tells me to call back at another time but i will try again soon 

Thanks again 

...and I heard this! Health-E-Vets  called me last week and wanted me to stop at their office at the VA hosp. in AA to have my stuff  all  updated. Maybe even like mibrains claims, where you can access your records on-line. Perhaps it would be a good time to call them or check out their site:  Health e Vet   Apparently they are making an effort to get their records updated. Do believe priority is given to any with disabilities, esp on record.  I have had some luck  setting up my meds for delivery by USPS.  

I do agree with mibrains that they have definitely upgraded the facilities, quality of care, level of services, etc and they are starting to set standards, particularly in this field: electronic data acquisition (in this case) as related to Health Care Services. Not an insignificant accomplishment because of the shear scale of the project parameters. Seems they are quite experienced in this field. Anyway when I got to the Health E  Vets office yesterday they were closed, 9-3 pm are their hours. Maybe next time... 

Edited by solabeirtan

Yes indeed . The V.A. is making progress in leaps & bounds . I registered some time in Dec. 2013 . They told me I would have an I D card in about 10 days . In the middle of Feb. they said by the end of the month . My last apptointment (Feb. 28th) , they said early March . I think I said , WTH ? It didn't take this long to give me O D green and an M-16 . Other than that , no problems .