Ptsd Added To List Of Qualifying Conditions

Yippie, Me have purple heart, bronze star yupper combat vet. PTSD did'nt invade my life until after 27 yrs, being a hard working family man. And PTSD hit me hard. The use of Marijuana, makes me sane, if that makes any sense. I just wanta smoke my weed and leave me the fuk alone. Thanks to All for the work you put into making this condition law. Now i can go back to the campfire and light my dooble :) 

We are currently working on our quality control for certifications for PTSD.  I can assure all patients that an existing formal dx of PTSD from a primary will be sufficient for our purposes.  

What we are considering is if we can make the dx ourselves.  I am concerned that without a formal protocol with properly credentialed healthcare providers we could open ourselves up to an accusation of making the dx for profit.  I am also concerned that the hotel/skype clinics will seize on this and expand sale of signatures.  

The problem I see is that this is clearly a valid dx, a valid reason to be certified, but carries with it significant risk to the patients- An 'diagnosis of economics' dx of 'PTSD' by a hotel clinic more interested in your $120 than any future consequences for the patient) could bar you from obtaining life insurance and other very significant, life long consequences.  If the dx is real and supportable, so be it, but I don't want to see these hotel clinics labeling people with significant consequences simply to make a buck, as we have seen in the past.

As a side note, I don't give someone a diagnosis of hypertension lightly either, because it can make them uninsurable.  PTSD may sound harmless, or an easy way to get a card, but it is NOT without complications. 

Do what you wish, you are adults, but as a practice Denali is going to exercise caution on MAKING the dx, we will clearly certify those that already have the condition.

Dr. Bob

Edited by Dr. Bob

Hmmm.

I suffer PTSD due to a SWAT style drug task force raid on my cannabis garden. Still wake up from nightmares over it years later.

Oh the irony.

i got my PTSD also from being in Court for so many years

So sorry you had to be one of many some will heal and some won't Torey will never get over it i hope you do someday

The sarcasm of your question aside, patients are required to report their conditions and history when they apply for life insurance.  If they fail to report the PTSD their payoff to their families could be denied.  They also have to report their history to their treating physicians as part of their history which is then reported to the insurance company.  Furthermore, if the question of the card ever comes up the certifying conditions may become part of the public record.  To answer your question about hypertension, ALL bills that are submitted by physicians to insurance companies are by E/M (level of service) and ICD9 (diagnosis).

What I don't want to see is non-mental health professionals making the diagnosis in a hotel room on the basis of a single visit, with no follow up, simply to 'qualify the patient' for the card to collect the money.  If that kind of activity comes to light in a hidden camera interview (such as happened with Dr. Harwell) it would damage the program in general and cause PTSD to be viewed as a 'sham' diagnosis simply to sell someone a card.

PSTD is a serious condition, resulting in many deaths, and needs to be respected and FOLLOWED through with.  It is also a disabling condition, and a hotel diagnosis can easily result in years of disability hearings- if it becomes clear to the administrative judge at the disability hearing the diagnosis was based on checking off some boxes on a form in a hotel room or dispensary to qualify the patient for a card, it may well hurt the patient's chances.  

Finally, if a diagnosis of PTSD is given by a non-mental health professional in a hotel room for the purposes of getting the card, no arrangements are made by the diagnosing physician, and the patient later has a bad outcome (like suicide), the physician that made the diagnosis is toast.  Just imagine if I as an internal medicine doctor diagnosed you with a heart attack and said 'here is your ecg, best of luck to you' and walked away.

This is a GREAT thing for patients, marijuana helps to improve the quality of life of those military and non-military victims of PSTD and may well save lives.  But it carries with it responsibility  that can't be blown off.  Both for the patient and for the clinic.  There are ethical considerations to take into account.  Denali takes those considerations seriously.

Dr. Bob

Edited by Dr. Bob

Thanks Doc;

The sad thing is if someone with PTSD  and uses Cannabis for it if they forget to lock a door on there way out and end up in Court the first thing will be the judge will stop them from using it

and then we could have the first death like suicide and then the other side (Government ) will use that against all Cannabis patient 

oh i thought you meant uninsurable on medical insurance. i didnt even think about life insurance. sorry for the sarcastic question. thanks for the answer.

Health insurance can be problematic as well.  I am not sure how Obamacare would handle it, but traditionally health insurers will deny you for serious pre-existing conditions OR put you in a 'high risk' group causing you to pay 3-4 times as much for the same insurance as those without the condition in your demographic group.  Perhaps some of the folks on the board with ptsd can share their experiences with insurance coverage.

We put quite a bit of thought into our policies, that is why we are considered a 'high standard' clinic.

Dr. Bob

I am a Vietnam combat veteran, first encountering PTSD symptoms five years after discharge. The present VA treatment for PTSD has not really changed for over thirty-five years, hospiltalization inpatient, heavy psychotics/anti-depressents, meds such as SRI's, Thorazine, Zoloft, etc. Some cause suicidal ideation.

These are not needed, I think the best remedy is alcohol but after years of self medicating you end up with a dual diagnosis and debilitating health effects from alcohol abuse

Marijuana fits the bill for a safe, even long term, mild treatment of PTSD, which in my opinion is whats needed. Marijuana has an antidepressant effect, giving a person a sense of well being, but most importantly greatly reduces REM and nightmares associated with the condition. Highly recommended.

Present VA policy towards cannabis had not changed, they still consider it substance abuse. This past week the VA signed off its present attitude towards cannabis and gave the go ahead for a VA study of cannabis and PTSD in one VA facility. Possibly within two years we will see a change of attitude.

Wow I just seen the letter........ WOW........... I thought for sure it would meet a mysterious demise........... But WOWWWW,...,.,,,,, Although he did it reluctantly he did approve it............

Those that were involved should and are proud........... It is the first time a condition has been added as stated.............. A great and just accomplishment.

I disagree with Atwood in that it should be up to leg. to add etc............. It should be right where it is.......... In the hands of a panel so long as that panel is just..................

Great work.

Snyder wants re-election, he is holding off signing MJ reforms for political reasons, hence no reform since they banned dispensaries in Feb 2013. Plenty of promises and a half baked plan to have a Canadian Pharma grow state MJ for sale in Pharmacies, I don't see why more people are not up in arms over this flagrant violation of our democratic process.

Snyder wants re-election, he is holding off signing MJ reforms for political reasons, hence no reform since they banned dispensaries in Feb 2013. Plenty of promises and a half baked plan to have a Canadian Pharma grow state MJ for sale in Pharmacies, I don't see why more people are not up in arms over this flagrant violation of our democratic process.

Snyder will more than likely not sign anything that doesn't put money in his or his cronies pockets. Does anyone actually believe he has the best interests of the citizens at heart?

Most people are not aware/concerned about medical cannabis because it doesn't effect them directly. They listen to the sensationalized stories in the media spread by Jones, LEO and their ilk and think the "pharmaceutical" cannabis is an improvement for the the patients.

The prohibitionists see that they are losing the war so they will try to restrict use by "protecting" the patients. Adding new conditions, in their minds is only encouraging drug addiction. (Narcotics are apparently ok)

My primary care physician objects to medical marijuana because it is not standardized or approved by the FDA. In my mind these are positives.

Granting this approval steps Michigan away from the use of marihuana for disease of the body or chronic pain symptoms of a physical nature.

They are so used to the single bullet medicines that it is beyond their comprehension that a single herbal remedy can help with so many ailments. "How can medicine for physical ailments be used for psychological issues?"

We're fighting years of brainwashing, not only about cannabis but medicine in general.

Present VA policy towards cannabis had not changed, they still consider it substance abuse. This past week the VA signed off its present attitude towards cannabis and gave the go ahead for a VA study of cannabis and PTSD in one VA facility. Possibly within two years we will see a change of attitude.

90% disability from the VA. Me a frequent flyer there. Every time i asked about cannibus use, i am told to keep it to myself. So i go in old school to the VA. Lotz a schammers out there cliam to be in combat, when in fact  they were nuttin but a Generals Aide. No offence meant to any one that served.  

They are so used to the single bullet medicines that it is beyond their comprehension that a single herbal remedy can help with so many ailments. "How can medicine for physical ailments be used for psychological issues?"

We're fighting years of brainwashing, not only about cannabis but medicine in general.

its an uphill battle fighting medical ignorance.

remember when they said there was no such thing as shell shock/ battle fatigue / post traumatic stress disorder?

http://www.salem-news.com/articles/october022013/ptsd-prevention_pl.php

i wonder if as kids people saw that one kid with (insert disease) who didnt have to do whatever forced activity like run a mile?

now they have that one co-worker who doesnt have to lift things because of (insert problem) so they feel resentment that one person is so special he/she doesnt have to 'do work'?

"they dont look sick"

where did this come from? your parents dismissing your complaints as you tried to get out of going to school?

http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/

• 3 months later...

Good point Brains...if you go to the Ann Arbor VA access to your records and files are located in the basement, its just down the hall from the Mental Health Dept. For example, the last time I needed files I just went down and signed for any, and all files under my name from 1976-2005, under law they have to release these files for your records. There is no time limit or limitation on how many times you use this right.

Many times clinicians will be telling you one thing to gain your trust, but writing something else in your files that might have a negative impact.

The present policy of the VA towards Medicinal MJ is to follow whatever State Law in which they are located. They do not endorse or RX MJ use but want to identify those Vets who have MJ cards. Right now the University of Arizona has received a grant from the Fed Gov, (first ever study allowed) to study PTSD and how MJ affects the condition. The VA basically has not changed treatment since the seventies, PTSD: use of heavy psycotics, SRI's, Thorazine for depression:  Zoloft, Celexa, (recently discovered to cause serious heart problems). These are serious, toxic medications which in my personal view have little to do with the condition, many such as Zoloft actually cause suicidal ideation. My advice is at this point and under the present atmosphere is: Keep it to yourself.