Doctors Cheating Patients Into Death By Milking Medicaid.

t-pain

my great aunt, age 80+ said her doctor tried to get her into surgery to fix her chronic (every 2 months) urinary tract infection. cost about $8k

how many 80+y.o. patients even survive surgery? how many become incontinent after surgery?

why are doctors doing this? what happened to ethics and do no harm?

my other great aunt had chemo for cancer , about the same age. said it just about killed her. would you do chemo at age 80? shes still around, bought a new bike and goes riding around , so i guess it was a win for her.

all i know is get a second or third opinion before dropping 10k on medical bills by some quack.

I had a good friend, a game warden, down South.  He came in to me professionally on a rare basis.  

One time he came in with a sinus infection.  It would have been easy just to fix the problem, after all he was a young man and healthy.  But not seeing him much, I decided to make sure he had all his checks done.  

Long story short, his hemoccult was positive, I scheduled a colonoscopy (remember he came in with a sinus infection).  He had 4 polyps that were precancerous.  If I had just done the minimum, he could have died of colon cancer.

Doing surgery on an 80 year old has risks.  So do chronic urinary tract infections, especially in 80 year old.  80 year olds die of urosepsis every day.  

Before you jump to conclusions and look at dollar signs to make your decisions, how about talking to the doctor about their reasoning, and maybe having a second opinion.  Most importantly, how about talking to the patient to see what she thinks?

Dr. Bob

i recommended drinking more fluids (reportedly drinking 4 small 6oz bottles of water per day in florida heat) and obtaining a second opinion.

there are many options available to treat UTI and surgery is not high on that list. especially when cranberry juice is the number 1 treatment.

i'd like to see the statistics from complications of surgery vs death from uti>urosepsis.

it may sound like an easy task to "talk to your doctor". but of the 20+ doctors i've been treated by, probably my mmj cert doctor has spent more time with me, and has been more indepth, than any of the others. thats including car accident ER hospital stay and doctors who have performed minor surgery on me. in fact i've learned more by going online and webmd and googling than i did in any office/clinic/hospital. wow was i pissed when i learned i had to back in for surgery again. the doctor didnt tell me my symptoms/problem came back in 90% of patients treated. when a small prevenative application could have saved me the time , and saved me from infection risk again? i'm still pissed and i dont think i'll ever forgive. yes the problem came back , but i'm not giving the same doctor a 3rd chance, fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

i'm not against doctors, dont get me wrong. i just want people to get more opinions and information before resorting to surgery.

I never had that done, or heard of it. I don't run to a doctor for much, but what would warrant this test, mostly with a sinus infection? 

I had a good friend, a game warden, down South.  He came in to me professionally on a rare basis.  

One time he came in with a sinus infection.  It would have been easy just to fix the problem, after all he was a young man and healthy.  But not seeing him much, I decided to make sure he had all his checks done.  

Long story short, his hemoccult was positive, I scheduled a colonoscopy (remember he came in with a sinus infection).  He had 4 polyps that were precancerous.  If I had just done the minimum, he could have died of colon cancer.

Doing surgery on an 80 year old has risks.  So do chronic urinary tract infections, especially in 80 year old.  80 year olds die of urosepsis every day.  

Before you jump to conclusions and look at dollar signs to make your decisions, how about talking to the doctor about their reasoning, and maybe having a second opinion.  Most importantly, how about talking to the patient to see what she thinks?

Dr. Bob

I never had that done, or heard of it. I don't run to a doctor for much, but what would warrant this test, mostly with a sinus infection? 

No the point was I took the time to make sure the patient had all their screening tests even though it was just a sinus infection.  One of the tests came back positive and resulted in a colonoscopy being ordered.  We found the polyps on the colonoscopy.