Obamacare

Yah those are all valid points. You can look at it anyway and theres pros and cons. The way im seeing it, the cost to me for the next 5 years that i probably wont use it, is almost 20k that could of went into my savings or extra money towards the loans i have that have ridiculous interest rates. Im already covered in a car wreck or motorcycle accident, my wife too. But oh well, maybe in three years ill need some major 100k surgery. On the other hand ive been doing some reading and i think according to website, your only punished if you dont have health insurance for at least 4 out of 12 months.

Yah those are all valid points. You can look at it anyway and theres pros and cons. The way im seeing it, the cost to me for the next 5 years that i probably wont use it, is almost 20k that could of went into my savings or extra money towards the loans i have that have ridiculous interest rates. Im already covered in a car wreck or motorcycle accident, my wife too. But oh well, maybe in three years ill need some major 100k surgery. On the other hand ive been doing some reading and i think according to website, your only punished if you dont have health insurance for at least 4 out of 12 months.

Every think of just paying the $90 penalty then? And go uninsured like you want to?

I am glad I read this thread. I really had no idea that Obamacare was helping any Americans. It has no effect on me being that the insurance I have is qualifying.

It is great that it is helping some people, but I cannot agree with this Obamacare. It is completely unconstitutional from what I have seen.

One example: Someone I know that lives in my community. I don't care how many people it helps, it is just wrong for Obamacare to punish people because they do not make enough money to purchase the insurance. Some people don't get a "free" check in the mail. The person I know works, is unable to find a full time job, stuck with a part time job. After paying taxes, and paying his child support like a good father would, he is lucky to end up with $15-$20 after everything is taken out. That is just enough to pay for gas to get to work, sometimes. He survives by doing odd jobs for the local neighbors and those mini jobs are drying up, there is no money. So how can our government punish him with $100 fine for being an honest American that wants to work, wants to pay his bills, does not do drugs, just because he doesn't make enough money to afford the "Affordable Care Act". This is anti-American looking at it from his prospective. By the way, this man is in his 50's. He has had to walk 15 miles to work because he did not have money for gas. Why would these corrupt politicians approve something like the ACA when there are so many people in this situation? I just can't support something that punishes a person for wanting life. liberty, and justice.

Why is there not something added into the ACA that offers an exemption for those with that type of extremely low income? If it had something in there to protect Americans that are way below poverty, I could maybe be more accepting. I just can't accept people being punished and discriminated for not making enough money.

Why is there not something added into the ACA that offers an exemption for those with that type of extremely low income? If it had something in there to protect Americans that are way below poverty, I could maybe be more accepting. I just can't accept people being punished and discriminated for not making enough money.

I think that's what Medicaid is for. And Snap or F.S. Everybody should have access to Health Care. Think that's what Obs' plan is all about...   our Quality of Life... Qualis vita, imo

...sorry about your 'friend' perhaps he is also saddled with a medical condition ? that needs attention ? 

I am glad I read this thread. I really had no idea that Obamacare was helping any Americans. It has no effect on me being that the insurance I have is qualifying.

It is great that it is helping some people, but I cannot agree with this Obamacare. It is completely unconstitutional from what I have seen.

One example: Someone I know that lives in my community. I don't care how many people it helps, it is just wrong for Obamacare to punish people because they do not make enough money to purchase the insurance. Some people don't get a "free" check in the mail. The person I know works, is unable to find a full time job, stuck with a part time job. After paying taxes, and paying his child support like a good father would, he is lucky to end up with $15-$20 after everything is taken out. That is just enough to pay for gas to get to work, sometimes. He survives by doing odd jobs for the local neighbors and those mini jobs are drying up, there is no money. So how can our government punish him with $100 fine for being an honest American that wants to work, wants to pay his bills, does not do drugs, just because he doesn't make enough money to afford the "Affordable Care Act". This is anti-American looking at it from his prospective. By the way, this man is in his 50's. He has had to walk 15 miles to work because he did not have money for gas. Why would these corrupt politicians approve something like the ACA when there are so many people in this situation? I just can't support something that punishes a person for wanting life. liberty, and justice.

The fine is to offset the costs if he has to go to the hosipital uninsured. It's a small price to pay to offset the high price that might need to get paid by the rest of the population of America. I don't see that as unfair.

i think we can all agree obamacare is bad and we should have single payer. right ? right.

so whenever the republicans come up with a single payer plan... the ball is in their court now.

Remember, what they are calling Obamacare was originally a Republican idea. Who else would think of forcing you to buy something from a private company?

Hopefully soon they'll just give us a list of what we do and don't need so we don't have to make any decisions ourselves we'll just look to the government nanny for guidance.

tumblr_lzo6o0vpay1qk9b9zo1_500.jpg

There is; The fine is either $95 OR •1% of your yearly household income. (Only the amount of income above the tax filing threshold, $10,150 for an individual, is used to calculate the penalty.

You know what is worse than paying $200 per month for nothing? Getting old, sick, or injured and becoming bankrupt over it. You may not gain anything now, but you will have it when you need it.

Private sector insurance saw to it that we did go bankrupt. The ACA is the better way to go, and there will be progressive steps taken down the road to negotiate prices for medical goods and services that will help to further bring costs down. That could mean single payer, as it would necessarily be the single most efficient system. One payor that bargains, such as the Canadian Government  does, with supply, equipment, and treatment providers will go far to control costs. We are presently damm near 100 percent more expenensive in cost per patient than than the average cost of the closest ten industrialized countries, The private sector did us no favors, and it will not.

Edited by GregS

Yes the young don't think they need it and most won't sign up and will be fined for not doing so its the Law now

Yeah...but the fine is 1% of taxable income - which will be calculated when you file next years income taxes, so young people who feel they don't need medical care this year will basically forfeit part of their refund next year.   This is a mistake if they make less than $30k annually because they would get subsidies that would cover most of their premium...but the IRS has a mandate not to go after accrued tax penalties so it's really a matter of personal choice. 

I'm surprised how many people have decided not to even look into it because they don't want to pay anything for health insurance.  I'm also jealous that they are so healthy they won't incur any medical expenses at all this year.   Even when I was in my 20's, I had the occasional injury, accident or illness that sent me to the doctor's office.  

No its not. The progrAm only works if younger heAlthier adults sign up and dont use there coverAge. That isnt happening for the reasons i stated Above. All the program is trying to do is move the burden from one set of people to another.

I think the program was trying to fix more than simply shifting burdens from the old to the young.  I'm a cancer survivor and almost filed bankruptcy after racking up $70k in medical bills surviving chemo - and I had health insurance.  My employer laid me off while I was being diagnosed - they realized something serious was up when my doctor kept calling me back for more tests and biopsies over the course of a couple of weeks so they decided not to wait until I knew what the real problem was.  I found myself on unemployment paying a $400 Cobra premium and worrying that the insurance company would refuse to pay for my treatment or find an excuse to cancel my policy.  

It's not right for a country with "the greatest medical system in world" to put people who have worked hard and had health insurance thru their employers in that position - not to mention the financial ruin that follows after your treatment is complete.  

I have been holding down a job I hated every second of for the last 5 years just so I could keep insurance until this law went into effect.  Blessedly, that employer laid me off a couple of months ago and I guarantee it was to get me off his insurance program.  I'm sure I was increasing the rate for the group.

Employers should not be in control of health insurance - nor should they be privvy to an employees health conditions at all in my opinion.  I was disappointed that Medicare for all wasn't considered more seriously but I will take the protection that this law gives me gratefully and with a smile.

I'm happy to report that I just signed up for "Obamacare" with a premium of $109 a month.  Granted, I have a $7k deductible and a 30% co-pay but I'm sleeping better at night knowing that if I relapse, I can get in to see a doctor. 

I also believe that getting insurance on the Exchanges frees up employees to leave jobs they hate, work part-time or start their own businesses -  which will revolutionize the way American's work in the coming decades.  To be a "free agent" will be a great blessing for skilled workers (I work in IT) and I believe it will push wages up and eliminate salaried work with dozens of hours of unpaid overtime each week.  

My SO is self employed and qualified for a 100% subsidy.  He wasn't going to sign up because he had heard that it was too expensive to afford while he nurtures his fledgling business.....he is thrilled as he has been without insurance for a couple of years and has postponed needed medical care for too long simply because doctors won't even see you if you don't have insurance.

I think in a few years, we will look back and know that the Affordable Care Act was a true game changer for American workers.  

That said, I agree that the transition is more difficult for younger healthier people who would simply go to the ER if they sustain an injury.  But, by the time most people hit 30, they have the need for some kind of medical care and will appreciate it at that time.  And, if young people stay on their parents policy until 26, they only have 4 years to feel screwed over until they actually need it.  I also think it's more difficult to swallow as another monthly "bill" than it would have been if it was an increase in payroll taxes...which is what we would have seen with Medicare for all.  

But, let's face it.  If you are 25 and uninsured and you could be turned away at the ER without insurance - you'd probably consider it a necessity no matter what your age.  

You have to get auto insurance. People with less risk and people with more risk, in a pool to cover loss when it occurs is not a scam, it's just how insurance works.

People not having insurance because they just want to use the money for fun things, and then getting hurt and not wanting to pay the health bills, or not affording the health bills, is just wrong, and it had to end sometime. That time is now.

If you keep wanting to say that it is wrong for younger folks to pay for insurance because the premuims pay for older folks health care then you are creating a war between the old and young. Do you really want that?

Unfortunately for the young, the older the citizen, the more likely it is that they vote, write/call and donate to their Congressmen.  With the massive number of Baby Boomers in the population, benefits will swing toward the older voters rather than the younger.  It sucks to be a young non-voting citizen....but I'm surprised to find young, healthy people who don't have any medical issues posting on a site to promote the use of medical marijuana.  I - personally - can't wait until our MMJ is covered by our Health Insurance.  

Its not a war. I worked for it, it should be mine. Making someone else pay for another persons problems is not a fix, its another problem. You have to get car insurance if you want to drive. Its not that way in every state but driving is a privilege. Its not mandatory to drive. Now with the act, i have to buy health insurance, great i got health insurance, since i could barely afford a 200 dollar a month premium, i now need to go to the doctors but wait i still cant because i still need to pay 6-7 k before my insurance actually covers anything. But wait, theres gov subsidies to help, not for me. My middle class income is to much to get any of those, but wait the lazy smuck down the street can use his, he coasted along, has no student loans or really any other bills, just hangs out all day, he gets subsidies from uncle sam or hell he probably qualifies for medicaid, lets make sure his lazy donkey gets help, or the old guy on the other side of the bridge, he never did anything with his life so he cant pay for his health problems, lets make the newest generation pay for his lack of accomplishment, all the while putting our country further and further into debt. Its at least helping some people right now, screw everyone else. This act does nothing to bring the actual cost of care down, nothing.

Student Loans ???  Aren't those supported by Federal Gov'mint Subsidies?  I wonder if the lazy donkey smuck down the street resents the fact that the Uncle Sam sent you to college so you can make so much money that you don't qualify for Health Insurance subsidies because you make too much money?

Everyone is on the Gov'mint dole....some people just don't think they fit the stereotype.  

Most still need medical insurance to withstand a $5,000 or $10,000 hit to their bottom line. Very few can self-insure, and those that can, for how long?

30% of the population will have a run in with Cancer in their lifetime.  I know a 24 girl fighting for her life from Melanoma right now.  The big C hits young and old and it's increasing in our polluted world.  

And, it's not a $10k hit.....it will cost hundreds of thousands of dollars to be treated.  Most Cancer Centers won't even give you an appointment if you are uninsured.  It's a death sentence unless you happen to be young an immortal.  

Yah, i dont want to have to pay 200 bucks to have something just to pay another 6k or 1500 plus 20% of cost in my case, to probably never use it, at least not for a good 10 years. I make close to that amount but the good majority is already obligated to go elsewhere. My student loans alone are 400 plus dollars a month. I never planned on having healthcare unless through my employer until i was over 30, so yah im a little ticked off. Next year i will have to include myself into the mix so the bill will go even higher.

I'm confused as to how someone with a degree that costs them $400 a month in government subsidized student loans doesn't have a job that already provides health insurance as part of the benefit package.  Most of the uninsured in America are minimum wage workers at places like Mc Donald's and WalMart.  

Unfortunately for the young, the older the citizen, the more likely it is that they vote, write/call and donate to their Congressmen.  With the massive number of Baby Boomers in the population, benefits will swing toward the older voters rather than the younger.  It sucks to be a young non-voting citizen....but I'm surprised to find young, healthy people who don't have any medical issues posting on a site to promote the use of medical marijuana.  I - personally - can't wait until our MMJ is covered by our Health Insurance.  

I think they are already working on MJ being covered on your insurance. Are you sure you want that? You really put that much faith in our government and the pharmaceutical companies?

Chit, my patients from the past would have to jump from pharmacy to pharmacy just to get authentic pain medication. Many times their meds were fake, like a placebo. For instance a M360 vicodin, every patient that I have known that takes them, say they are fake. They feel nothing, not even the acetaminophen that is supposed to be in them. Some would just get sick. 

Anyway, government supplied MJ or MJ covered by insurance, Not good for us, well for you probably.

Right now they are considering Canadian prairie weed. I have thrown better stuff than that in my wood burner for disposal! Boy that would suck if that is all you could get eh?

I don't believe they plan to supply patients with some good QWISO like this

Qush QWISO sample ready To winterize 3 29 14 047

hasn't even been winterized yet.

If my insurance covered mj for me, I would still be growing my own and I really should be growing my own food too. Especially living in North America.

There is.  This man qualifies for subsidies and might be surprised to find that he gets very affordable insurance.  He needs to turn off Fox News and get on the website and sign up.  If he can't pay the premiums, they will simply cancel the insurance.  If he's in his 50's and doing manual labor for a living, he needs medical care and he should have it AND it should be "affordable" -- which is defined as costing less than 9% of your Adjusted Gross Income unless he nets over $44k annually after he pays his taxes, business expenses and saves for retirement.   He sounds like exactly the kind of person who the program is designed to help.  

But this is just me. Im done ranting now.

You sound like someone who should just pay the tax penalty for a few years until you actually need insurance.  The IRS won't even come after you for the penalties like they would for regular taxes.....it's basically a free pass.  

Someday, you will realize that you need health insurance and you will be glad that you can get it within 30 days from signing up.  

I also have to deal with the wife.

The wife should love Obamacare.  She gets her annual exam free, free mammograms, covered birth control and  if you are planning a pregnancy, the birth of the baby will be covered.  Women use more medical care in their child-bearing years than men do.  A lot more.