But What About The Chil, Er, Dogs?

GregS

I guess the DEA likes to keep them around to shoot when they kick in our doors. A quick and painless death, you know.

WASHINGTON -- Michele Leonhart, the head of the Drug Enforcement Administration, has a message for those considering legalizing marijuana: Please, think of Fido.

Testifying on the DEA budget during a House Appropriations subcommittee hearing on Wednesday, Leonhart said she expected a number of things to happen after Washington and Colorado were allowed to go forward with the legalization of marijuana last year. What she didn't anticipate was the impact on man's best friend.

"There was just an article last week, and it was on pets. It was about the unanticipated or unexpected consequences of this, and how veterinarians now are seeing dogs come in, their pets come in, and being treated because they've been exposed to marijuana," Leonhart said.

"Again, it goes back to the edibles, it goes back to products that are in the household that are now made from marijuana, and it's impacting pets," Leonhart continued. "We made a list of the outcomes we thought that might happen in these two states. We never thought of putting pets down."

Leonhart was referencing a story in USA Today which noted that the effects of marijuana could make it more difficult for a dog to breathe or vomit up a product that could kill them, like butter. The USA Today article noted, however, that on its own "marijuana itself isn't particularly harmful to dogs," and that dogs typically won't eat marijuana by itself.

The story referenced a 2012 study that found that two dogs who ate large amounts of marijuana-infused butter died, out of a sample of 125 dogs that were believed to have ingested marijuana.

Note to marijuana users in Washington and Colorado: Keep your dogs away from the pot brownies.

You could make a movie. Call it Rover Madness.

Edited by GregS

I know a dog who steals roaches and eats them. Had a cat that would sit next to me every night at 7pm waiting to blaze. But she says nothing about how our pets foods are being contaminated on purpose by China. Man talk about PATHETIC! Don't give your pets Heartworm meds because it kills the poor little worms.................................................

Time to ban antifreeze and chocolate too.  What else is bad for dogs?  Let's ban that too.  Oh, and cats might die if they eat poinsettias, so while we're thinking about the dogs, we better not forget the kitties too.

I was just thinking about the antifreeze I use in my rv lol!  Its getting to be time to drain the lines and flush the anti freeze out of them, I do worry about my own dog on my property, but I am most def doing my r.v preping in and  on my property, If a stray cat or dog gets to it before it drains in the ground, not much I can do about it!  At most I can only have 3 gallons in there, and im def gonna be flushing in the same spot so im sure I wont kill any pets or wild animals!

my dog likes the smell when Im medicating, so I realy dont give it much thought, I most def dont think about medibles, my dog eats dog food not people food, we dont all have ankle biters and feed them off the table, my dog dont even go in my trash, she dont get bones or anything off my table, and knows better than to even  be near us when we eat at the kitchen table, which is most nites!

The whole thing should have just been about children and leo putting them in danger, they are far from perfect, they are humans like me and you, and we all make mistakes, just we dont get to kick down doors and shoot people!

We cant put our own dogs down but they can kill our dogs?

Life is never Fair, but I can make the best of what I have and live a happy life!

Peace

I had a fifteen year old Rottweiler that ate fan leaves every day for the last two years of his life. He seemed to enjoy them and the only  medication I had to give him was an aspirin a day for his arthritis. He was in good health for his age right up to the day he peacefully passed away.

One of my cats likes to join me in the flower room and nibbles on the lower leaves. (I understand minor damage to the lower leaves actually improves the plant, I don't know if that is true but it hasn't seemed to hurt them and the cat's happy.)

Cannabis oil greatly improved the quality of life of my failing dog last year.  Like people though, animals need to get used to the new medicine.  Pets that accidentally ingest are not generally regular users and so are wiped out.  They just need some monitoring, like a person, to ensure they don't panic or hurt themselves by falling down stairs, for instance. 

There is no need for a vet visit unless there are other toxins involved.  Sit with the animal until it falls asleep.  Aside from a possible urinary accident, the animal will be fine the next day.