Yabba Dabba Doo !

trichcycler

Colorado is cashing in
Wednesday, 26 Feb 2014 | 11:40 AM ET
CNBC's Jane Wells reports the first tax revenue numbers are being reported in Colorado. Pueblo County did $1 million in gross sales netting the county $56,000 in one month.

Two months into Colorado's great marijuana experiment, a single trend may be poised to tarnish the "natural and healthy" image of legal weed: hash oil concentrate. Washington, the next state to roll out legal recreational marijuana, has banned it. Colorado is trying to regulate it.

Hash oil concentrate, a powerful distillation of marijuana's essential active ingredients, is mixed into many new and popular cannabis products: edibles, drinks and liquids that can be "smoked" in vaporizer pens like e-cigarettes. The problem-child of concentrates may turn out to be the actual concentrate itself—a hardened or viscous mass of cannabinoids created via a process of butane-gas extraction.

Making it can be explosive. In fact, all over the country, people have been exploding kitchens and basements trying to make their own butane hash oil.

101448857-AP13030406495.530x298.jpg?v=13
AP
Nicholas Broms, who was involved in a drug-related explosion last November. Broms was one of the growing number of casualties from manufacturing hash oil, a potent marijuana byproduct made with butane.

And smoking it—a new craze called "dabbing," because a little dab'll do ya—is giving an intense high miles beyond the mellow effects of a joint.

Hash oil concentrate isn't new, but the current version is. The recent incarnation appeared on the scene only about four years ago, according to marijuana.com.

Concentrate is an extremely potent form of THC, the psychoactive element in marijuana. According to Brian Ruden, owner of Starbuds, a marijuana dispensary in Denver, while regular marijuana might contain 15 or 18 percent THC, hash oil concentrate gets closer to 80 or even 90 percent.

The high that a user gets from concentrates is far from natural, and the method by which hash oil is made sounds anything but healthy. Marijuana trim (or sometimes bud) is infused with a hydrocarbon, usually butane gas. The butane strips the THC and some other cannabinoids out of the plant when the mix is put under intense pressure. In addition to marijuana concentrate, the goopy stuff that emerges is laced with butane. This has to be cooked down to remove the residual chemical. The result (if the cook doesn't blow up; butane is explosive) is a glassy substance called "shatter" or "wax."

In part, the bad press for concentrates may be a little unfair. People blowing up their kitchens trying to make butane hash oil at home doesn't mean hash oil itself is bad. Fires and explosions all over Colorado have alarmed lawmakers and the media alike. In Aurora, where marijuana sales are still illegal, there have been four butane hash oil explosions in the past four months, the most recent landing two young men in the hospital with burns after they blew out the windows of their apartment.

According to Julie Postlethwait, spokeswoman for Colorado's Marijuana Enforcement Division, new safety rules for the manufacture of concentrates are slated to go into effect on March 2. They include ensuring an industrial hygienist or professional engineer approves manufacturing equipment, and having eyewash available on site. But, she said, they apply only to Colorado's commercial marijuana industry. "Individuals have the right to grow their own plants."

Can they make their own concentrate? "Yes, legally," Postlethwait said. "It's up to local authorities, cities and towns and counties. They can prohibit the manufacture of concentrates. I don't know if they are."

Local authorities may not know if they are, either. Many officials seem confused about the details of current marijuana law. According to Colorado's Municipal League's "Election Results Retail Marijuana," only one town, Gunnison, specifically establishes "standards for home cultivation" and "personal processing." Other municipalities prohibit "marijuana product manufacturing facilities," but that could be interpreted as commercial production, leaving the door open for making concentrate privately.

Localities can forbid as many of Amendment 64's rights as they want, and many have, at least for now. Aurora's moratorium on all cannabis enterprise will be in effect until May 5. "Manufacturing of hash oil," City Attorney George Zierk said, "is illegal in Aurora." According to Aurora police officer Frank Fania, at least one of the young men involved in Aurora's most recent hash oil explosion has been charged with a crime: reckless endangerment, but not hash oil manufacturing.

Having gotten past the bad press created by stupendously unsophisticated people cooking dangerous concentrates in the kitchen, there's still the unhealthy, Breaking-Bad image of actually smoking the concentrates, called "dabbing."

The whole problem may have something to do with blowtorches.

To smoke dabs, you need concentrate ("shatter" or its softer cousin, "earwax"), a small, sturdy pick, a specially crafted bong and a blowtorch.

101445224-AP710300031172.530x298.jpg?v=1
AP
Three people suffered minor burns in an August explosion at a Mount Vernon, Wash., apartment, where authorities said they were trying to extract hash oil from marijuana by using butane.

You twirl a dab of the concentrate onto the pick, apply a blowtorch that looks like it belongs in an auto mechanic's shop to the bowl of the bong until it's glowing hot, then touch the dab to a nailhead inside the bowl. The dab vaporizes instantaneously and the user sucks up the smoke—almost pure THC.

"Dabs have become a culture unto themselves," said Harrison Garcia, a salesman at Denver's Green Solution dispensary and blogger for Weedist.com. "There are serious 'dab people' who only dab and do not even smoke flower because it's just not strong enough for them."

Despite the media interest and hype, dabbers still seem to be a small minority of users. Elan Nelson, head of business strategy and development for Medicine Man, a large Denver dispensary, says about only 10 percent of their sales goes to dabbing concentrates.

"You have to have a very high THC tolerance," Nelson said. "We're not really recommending it."

Starbuds' Ruden concurs. Dabbing concentrates aren't a big portion of his sales. "Although we sell a lot of concentrate, we sell much more flower and edibles," Ruden said via email. "One limiting factor is the concentrate supply, we keep running out."

A more enthusiastic Austin Gilliam, general manager of Kine Mine, an Idaho Springs, Color., dispensary, puts it this way: "It's flying off the shelves. We have it back-ordered from the manufacturer now. It's a trend. It seems to be very popular with the young people."

Popularity with the young people is just what Steve Millette, executive director of CeDAR, the University of Colorado Hospital's residential rehab, worries about. The younger a person begins to indulge, the more likely he or she will become addicted, Millette said, adding that concentrates are "like going from a glass of beer to a glass of whisky."

"Addiction isn't the only problem. There's also mental illness," he said.

Millette, who thinks legalization was a mistake, sees marijuana leading to "a motivational syndrome," a condition in which a person becomes apathetic and loses the interest and the will to do much of anything. And since young adults are at a particularly vulnerable age when it comes to psychosis, Millette feels the popularity of marijuana concentrates poses a particular danger to them.

"If there's already a predisposition [to mental illness], putting a concentrated toxic substance into the brain can be dangerous."

"Marijuana," he said, "is not harmless. It is not safe."

The U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration recently moved to create a new drug code for marijuana extracts. They want to track it as a separate entity.

"It's not for beginners," Medicine Man's Nelson said.

Little Bear to Omri "You should not play with magic you do not understand."

I have to agree with part of the article, especialy how the young have realy been the ones doing dabs the most, and it is kinda like when I was younger, I went from my old mans beers to hard liquir, man If these kids grew up in my time they would be happy with just the buddz available, no seeds. sticky.stinky and kick butt smoke!  these punks are spoiled!

Now I have been making honey dew for a long time, there was no internet, I believe I got my instructions on how to make it from high times, back in my day it didnt come like wax or shatter, it came pretty much just like honey the same thickness and color!  and even that way,  put a lil in your bowl on top of your mj and trust me that lil bowl got every one in the circle just as buzzed or better than these dabbits!

And Im pos it didnt have any butane left in it, even after viewing many video's I realy dont understand how the ear wax or shatter can be butane free.

It truly dont belong in the hands of amatures when it comes to making it, Even though I have done it so many times over 30 yrs I dont find it to be safe either, I find it to be the quickest most potent way to make it though!

Now as far as tinctures and cannabutter, I truly dont under stand why that would be ilegal to make with usable mj ( shake, budds,stems.ect) Butter isnt as dangerious as making fryed chicken!!!!

Peace

Just like Hexane is a petroleum product like gasoline, they are different products. Smoke shop butane is not the correct gas to be using for a safe cannabis extraction. NButane on the other habd is organic, food safe, and non toxic. shaving cream, Pam cooking spray oil, are examples of nbutane in action. What suppose you  happens to the nbutane that is used to push shave cream out of the can goes???  huh punk?  where does it go when you spray it in the hot pan on the stove.......yeah....consider that you phuqeuur you..... :yahoo-wave:

butane vaporizes instantly at ambient room temperatures. After blasting and warming, your liquid evaporates until there is no more butane remaining. The tamisium weighs the in and out total of butane, assuring what goes in, always comes completely out, to be re used next run. The only way I know to trap butane in oil is to freeze it before it vaporizes out. But even sitting it will either be in a liquid state and visible, or a gas state and evaporating. Bic lighters allow the inhalation of butane with most flicks. butane is not a poisonous gas. it simply displaces the amount of oxygen your lung can hold, in direct relation to the volume of butane inhaled, like smoke, or vapor does also.. If you were inhaling butane vapors with a flame you would burn your lips and lungs.

"butane" the smoke shop special 5x bs is NOT just butane,it is not organic, it is not food grade but some 13 other gases, that may or may not be evaporating at the same rate as butane. One additive is mercaptan, which will make you sick, leaves a residue, does not evaporate. don't fear the process as much as you fear the people smoking cigarettes while doing it.

or using a sterno can to warm the pan, these are the real toxins !

in the cooking pan when we spray the pan for eggs, or on the chin when shaving. :lolu:

I dont use the spray schitt when I cook and I dont shave!  but I do love my bho!  so go phaq your self! bawahahahahaha!

oh dont forget you can huff that crap too that you cook and shave with!  What do you shave?  you told me you were a hairless tooth fairy!

peace and I still love you! :blow-a-heart:

I dont use the spray schitt when I cook and I dont shave!  but I do love my bho!  so go phaq your self! bawahahahahaha!

oh dont forget you can huff that crap too that you cook and shave with!  What do you shave?  you told me you were a hairless tooth fairy!

peace and I still love you! :blow-a-heart:

Now that's some phunny chit there phaq! :lol:

jokes aside NButane -C4H10, is a distilled gas, at the top of the ditillation column. Solids do not appear until C17H36. Unless of course we are considering the solute and it's concentration as the dissolved solids. In that case, those get vaporized of course, in quick pulse like inhalations.:bong2:

there is no more butane remaining.   What about the dissolved  solids  in N Butane?  where do they wind up?

yep, and when its "gone" it leaves a sticky powdery substance like sulphur behind, in your dabs, on a glass plate, etc. mercaptan is not food safe, yet Nbutane is. mercaptan is not present or added to lab grade nbutane, like it is in some store bought lighter fluids. Not all, but some.( "5x" filtered does not make it purer in a chem sense, but in a mechanical filter sense, so it doesn't clog the workings of a lighter, )

yep, and when its "gone" it leaves a sticky powdery substance like sulphur behind, in your dabs, on a glass plate, etc. mercaptan is not food safe, yet Nbutane is. mercaptan is not present or added to lab grade nbutane, like it is in some store bought lighter fluids. Not all, but some.( "5x" filtered does not make it purer in a chem sense, but in a mechanical filter sense, so it doesn't clog the workings of a lighter, )

I agree that mercaptan-containing butane is not suitable for cannabis extractions. But when you said it doesn't evaporate, when clearly it does, someone reading your post might think "Gee, he's wrong. Mercaptan does evaporate." And then the reader might make a poor choice. So thanks for completing the discussion.

because it "boils" does not mean it is removed. I extrapolated on the boiling to add that it is NOT completely removed, opposite of the insinuation.  I do not claim to know what exactly is remaining however. I distilled butane with and without the additive, and assure you the one with mercaptan always leaves the same residue on new glass. Only the butane with this additive leaves this behind. It is possible I suppose its possible that when merc is added, so is a "X" substance that remains after evaporation.

Speaking of using canned butane for medicinal extractions. maybe those practicing will be interested in this, or not. but it might matter to a sick person.

This is scary to me, and people I have worked with. We all agree people should not play with magic they do not understand.

this is interesting stuff here

This is an example of a typical 'Lighter-Refill Can' BHO "BLAST" extraction.

1097030_192070630963902_1143318184_o.jpg"However, it is being done through an EMPTY and STERILE borosilicate tube into a STERILE 304SS NSF collection vessel.

I released 49 cans of Newport's "Near Zero Impurities" through the empty chamber and then evaporated at 120*f. After 4 hrs at 120*f I observed a relatively thick coating of oil with a 'new-tire' odor.

I then video recorded the vessel having a 50th can blasted into it. You can see the 'Mystery Oil' separate as the butane hits the oils that are in the vessel.

The oil was then placed under vacuum at -29.9hg at 140*f for 25hrs; the oil did not evaporate (see other posts for further details on the 'purge').

NOTE: This oil was found while loading/recovering closed-loop through filters--ss 50micron and coffee. I did not use filters and ran as an open "BLAST" for video purposes.

This 'Mystery Oil' is at Steep HIll Halent Laboratories with the hope that they will be able to identify and then test for it in your BHO.

I've tested 8 brands in this manner and all 8 produce the same oil; Vector, Newport, Power5, Colibri, Xikar, FasFil, Lucienne, Magnum 5x. "

I have a theory on this, gathered from my tamisium experience. The first few times I used nbutane

I was warned to perform "dry runs" first. You see, the butane is liquid because it is compressed, but when it is warmed/released it becomes a gas. Inside the tami this is all done under vacuum, naturally. The action actually will pull

residual oils from the stainless steel, even though it has been washed a half dozen times. This keeps happening for a few runs

when it finally comes up pure. The manufacturer is aware of this, and advises the dry runs for this reason.

At a demonstration I proved this with new washed steel ball bearings, and was able to produce oil from them with my tami.

I propose the same chemical action is going on inside of each butane canister, while oil is being pulled from the

can itself. jut a thought. When I learned of these facts of smoke shop lighter fluids I never used another can, except

to refill my lighter of course, as intended. NButane is flawless for this craft, and readily available to everyone. Its another big

pharma secret.

"Mystery Oil was discovered while building a closed loop system and learning to recover hydrocarbons in it without cannabis material. I used 6 Newport cans in my initial attempt; and upon breaking the unit down, noticed a light oil in the collection vessel. The oil surprised me. I sterilized the vessel and other components thinking it was the Stainless Steel or some error I had made and tried again; same oil. I then ran open cans into Pyrex; same oil. Ran cold cans; same oil. Ran can to only half empty; same oil. Ran filters (coffee, carbon); same oil. Tried 9 different brands (Newport, Vector, Colibri, Xikar, Lucienne, Power5, Magnum, FasFil, Turbo Power; all the same oil. (although, some were more waxy than others)

Once I was convinced I was not going to collect the oil with simple filtration techniques and that it was not coming from the stainless steel equipment, I decided to begin running larger numbers of cans to try and gauge the amount of oil in each can, as well as gather enough weight for a lab to identify it. I collected 2.45g (.030/can) of MO from 79 cans of Newport and 1.45g (.024g/can) of MO from 60 cans of Vector.

Knowing that "open blasts" were commonplace, and upon collecting what I see as a fairly large amount of oil per can, I decided to begin sharing the findings with family and friends who use BHO. And it was those individuals who, upon watching the videos or experiencing the oil in person, requested the Mystery Oil page start.

Currently, the Mystery Oil from Vector and Newport are with multiple laboratories and are being run through various MC/GS and HPLC analysis.
ButaneCANS.jpg
This oil's IDENTITY is NOT YET KNOWN (other than it is petroleum based).

Its PPM level within BHO is NOT YET KNOWN.

Therefore, whether or not this oil poses a HEALTH THREAT to BHO users, is NOT YET KNOWN.

The goal is to 1. identify the oil 2. determine its toxicity/danger and then 3. establish a 'standard' for the Mystery Oil that will allow labs to test for its presence in BHO."  http://www.mysteryoiltests.blogspot.com/

Ok. So when you said that mercaptan doesn't evaporate, what you meant was that mercaptan does evaporate. But some butane might contain substances that don't evaporate? I guess I'm confused.

It is worth wondering if the mystery oil you posted about also occurs in some volume with nbutane.

So far, I haven't seen any credible information suggesting that mercaptan itself poses any significant risk after an extraction. If the stuff boils at about 42F I'm not sure what your specific concern is with mercaptan.

Edited to add:  I'm not trying to be difficult.  I respectfully appreciate the amount of information you continually bring to this board.  It has really boosted the overall value here.

Edited by Highlander

canned butane with mercaptan always will leave a white visible residue after it is boiled "away" that's the concern with mercaptan. The amount inhaled is ultimately less than what is consumed in a glass of red wine, albeit swallowed, not burned and inhaled.

Ok. So when you said that mercaptan doesn't evaporate, what you meant was that mercaptan does evaporate. But some butane might contain substances that don't evaporate? I guess I'm confused.

It is worth wondering if the mystery oil you posted about also occurs in some volume with nbutane.

So far, I haven't seen any credible information suggesting that mercaptan itself poses any significant risk after an extraction. If the stuff boils at about 42F I'm not sure what your specific concern is with mercaptan.

Edited to add:  I'm not trying to be difficult.  I respectfully appreciate the amount of information you continually bring to this board.  It has really boosted the overall value here.

If I detect ANY substance besides my target, ever, using ntane, I will surely inform the board. The oil has been through some testing in the past. There were no contaminates in my absolut or concrete. I quit wasting money on tests telling me what I suspected already. maybe tests will get better, and I'll see something in there then, for now, I'm too old to care, while my patients accept the risks gladly. I find I need to make no claims once it's seen and sampled. I watched it (tamisium)live in action for years before I jumped.

Edited by grassmatch

• 1 month later...