My Patient Was Out Of Meds, But Had No $$

slvrvetteragtop

As some of you know from my post  'What is Reasonable Compensation', I am new to all of this. I am slowly learning 'all things cannibus', however, I have 5 green thumbs, and 2 green toes, so I can grow anything.  I became a caregiver because a friend was having difficulty paying the dispensary $20 per gram for her meds, as she is on a fixed income (Social Security).  She called me and said that she was out, but her SSI would hit her bank account on the 9th.  I dropped off 24g, and told her to pay me once she got her money.  On the 7th, she called and told me that her car had broken down, and she had to pay $600 to get it fixed, but that she would pay me on the 9th.... and that she was out of meds.  When I stopped by her place on the 9th, she gave me some money, but not nearly enough to cover what I had previously deliverer or what I was delivering that day.  Today (4/13) she told me that in the last 4 days she has gone through 11g of what I delivered 4 days ago... Knowing that she is not going to get any money until 5/14 and her meds delivered will not last that long, what am I supposed to do?  She already is into me for $250.

dump

I've known types of people who will lie beg or steal to support their habits. And I've known the types that will ask to borrow money

to afford their blood pressure meds. I would never say no to my broke patient, however, they would never lie, beg, borrow, or steal

for their needs. If they did, I would remove them from my registry immediately. Those types have often been capable of other

less than desirable activities.

be safe

Edited by grassmatch

Over the years I have found that many people of limited means get behind easily, and usually the most patient folks they owe lose out. Not a good situation all the way around. I've employed some pretty low income people before and have seen countless similar situations. For example a guy who did mechanic work for me...needing a $100 advance today to keep the water from getting shut off - with a promise he'd work tomorrow to pay it off...then when tomorrow comes he doesn't show up, because now he needs diapers and formula and some other guy will pay him on the spot for work done...meaning the work I already paid for in advance gets set aside. I don't think this is necessarily someone taking advantage of a CG, just someone trying to keep up but always falling behind...and likely with no access to reasonable credit.

its a difficult problem to address..

compassion can only go so far.

i had to drop one patient a couple years ago because he could not afford to procure meds regularly.. but another one i kept on and took payments on the past due amount.

each scenario will require your best judgment...

i would tend to give people a chance while remembering that your bottom line is crucially important to your own health and welfare.

be compassionate to the point you are able.. then call the bluff. 

oh.. fyi i no longer extend any credit to my patients.  ultimately that was my best possible solution.. cash and carry only.

Thanks for the responses and advice!  Actually, gardening is my way of staying sane, so it is a hobby for me, and not a way to generate income.  The lighting units I have purchased benefit my other plants, and I have been enjoying homegrown, organic tomatoes all winter.  Money is not the issue, it is more of a principles thing.  I would be honored to have veterans as patients, and not charge then anything.

See if there is an effort made to come through or just asking for more herb. Any one here ever meet anyone who sings your praises as long as they get herb? those people tend to evaporate like water on a hot day at noon.  Also if you are running short you smoke the least amount possible. The just get by amount. Has that effort been made? 

ask your patient if you can grow some outdoor on his/her property.assuming they own land.

outdoor can be as cheap as some fencing and water and a bean or two.

try (i swear to you it cant hurt to try) asking LARA if they can siphon off some of that $20 million to pay for low income people to get meds.

it depends on the situation. if shes a good patient, keep her. if you are going to drop at least give her 2 weeks notice.

Edited by t-pain

As some of you know from my post  'What is Reasonable Compensation', I am new to all of this. I am slowly learning 'all things cannibus', however, I have 5 green thumbs, and 2 green toes, so I can grow anything.  I became a caregiver because a friend was having difficulty paying the dispensary $20 per gram for her meds, as she is on a fixed income (Social Security).  She called me and said that she was out, but her SSI would hit her bank account on the 9th.  I dropped off 24g, and told her to pay me once she got her money.  On the 7th, she called and told me that her car had broken down, and she had to pay $600 to get it fixed, but that she would pay me on the 9th.... and that she was out of meds.  When I stopped by her place on the 9th, she gave me some money, but not nearly enough to cover what I had previously deliverer or what I was delivering that day.  Today (4/13) she told me that in the last 4 days she has gone through 11g of what I delivered 4 days ago... Knowing that she is not going to get any money until 5/14 and her meds delivered will not last that long, what am I supposed to do?  She already is into me for $250.

This is a tuff situation to be in for you and her. your op up top here says you started to grow because she couldnt afford 20 buck grams from despenses. You also said in another post in here that you wish you had more vets as pt's because you would give them mm for free! That is awsome!

Why would you not do the same for this person who you started growing for, you said it was your hobby and you love to do it and the cost of equip wasnt the problem,

I mean It is totaly up to you how to handle Your pt's and It is none of my biz how or what you or they do for you. when you have an agreement with some one and they say they will pay this much a month for this much mm.

Personaly If I was in your situation, I would do what I thought was best for myself, I wouldnt want to cut no one off like imediatly, but Im not sure how long I would listen to exuses, and I truly beleive most people who have exuses are real, because I personaly have my own issues that require money for me and mine to live,

Its a tough Call!

Best of luck I hope it works out for both of you.

Peace

As harsh as this may sound you have bills as well and lets be real as a CG you have massive bills as well, Consumers/DTE, soil, nutes, your labor, insurance, car, etc, etc, etc...Do not let people push you around if you feel you are being taken advantage of then you need to stand your ground.

yes this is a compassionate bunch on this site...HOWEVER....you need to eat and support yuorself and feed your family.

I would not deliver any more meds until you feel like you have either been paid up to date or deliver just enough until she comes paid in full.  It is a tough pill to swallow because you do not want to see anyone in pain.  But be real my dude.  If your being taken advantage of..then part ways.  If your good at what you do then new doors will open up for you if you put yourself in the right position.

early on in 2008 I had a few patients play some reindeer games and mess around and that got nipped inthe butt real quick.  Now all my patients have been with me for several years.

If you have any questions PM  on here or email info@mtownmeds.com and I can give you some tips.

Nothing in life is FREE.  maybe our love for our family and friends but sometimes even that comes at a cost.  one way or the other..... :D

Edited by motorcitymeds

i learned the hard hard way the truth 'in god we trust, all others pay cash.'  before i came to that truth, i began to hate myself as a sucker, and the solution was 'cash only,' repeated...cash only, the grifters stopped coming.  their final gurgle--after promises to pay failed--you need me for plant count--flush!  

i never feel the self-reproach and distaste i felt from having swallowed stinky bs.

I hope that she is not using me, or taking advantage of my compassion.  She said  her car broke down and she had to pay $600 to get it fixed, so maybe this was one of those cash-flow situations.  I think I am going to wait a little and she what she does / says.  From a pratical standpoint, I did make an investment in equipment, and would like to get those costs covered, as well as keep the agreement we made with each other.

After that, it is really just the consumables and additional electric usage.  I have lots of free time, so that is neither an issue nor (for me) an add-in to the cost.

Again, thanks everybody for your input... as always, you all have given me things to think about.

the truth is some folks don't have income for both cannabis and toilet paper.  I had one woman who paid for her herb--an 1/8 a week--until i discovered she 'recycled toilet paper,' continuously washing out face cloths by hand......some poverty is real.   she gets her herb as part of my tithe.  those folks one takes on as charity, as part of giving your 10%, if you can.

the truth is some folks don't have income for both cannabis and toilet paper.  I had one woman who paid for her herb--an 1/8 a week--until i discovered she 'recycled toilet paper,' continuously washing out face cloths by hand......some poverty is real.   she gets her herb as part of my tithe.  those folks one takes on as charity, as part of giving your 10%, if you can.

The point is to know what is true