Funding A Cancer Patient's Legal Fight

I'm harassing you fool. I might stop when your face is burger.

Greg

you are being rude and obnoxious.  this is your only warning...

Knock it off please..

this man needs our help who the h e l l are you to attack Dr Bob when he is trying to help this man? 

this is not a joke nor is it a place to carry out your personal vendetta with Dr Bob... end it right here right now or i will personally give you a time out... and i have never exercised that particular ability since i have been a moderator.

Do what you have to do. Townsend insulted me in more ways than one, and the admins refused to do anything about that, even going so far as to support him actively or through their chickenschit silence. Using an existing medical condition to insult me was the end of my even making a pretense about being civil toward the guy. Other members noted his crap and agreed it was obscene. Now the guy wants us to help him out, giving him money to do what he vehemently and repeatedly says is illegitimate, viz.. using a sec. 8 defense for a serious infraction of the law, letting registration lapse with no reasonable effort to keep it current, or some other damm thing he refuses to tell us. How do you spell hypocrisy? He can't have it both ways. His insistence that we bow and stoop to clearly wrong decisions that diminish our rights is sick. He is the COA's cheerleader. Screw him and anyone else who does not have the moral integrity to put him in his rightful place.

As long as he stays the hell away there will be no trouble. It is remarkable how civil the conversation here is when he is nowhere to be found. He has fomented crass argument many times in the past and will again given half the chance through admirably persistent but pathetically foul lies, fallacy, insults, and hyperbole, all of which are the most despicable things a person can engage in outside of violence. He is a known quantity.

With that I will leave well enough alone for the time being. But don't expect me to put up with his schit at any time in the future.

Edited by GregS

This case offers a couple of really good learning points.

This is more than likely going to be a Section 8 Defense, and a good example of when to use it.  

He has a clear diagnosis (several in fact) well documented by records.

He has been seen within a year (card expired less than a week before the incident) and did several follow ups.

He had already made his renewal appointment.

Due to the simple fact his card had just expired he is now forced into Section 8 rather than Section 4.

He admitted to using cannabis a full day prior to the incident which allowed the police to get a warrant for his blood- Lord knows what that will show.

His car and clothing had a cannabis odor.

The result is a Section 8 hearing.  One that will cost money he does not have and needs to ask for help to mount.  It is a good fight, but very expensive and he will be spending time in court when he should concentrate on his health issues.  Those that promote 'section 8 makes everything ok' need to remember what he is going through, and I don't see them leading the donations to help him fight the good fight.

So it is up to the rest of us to help this man, I have personally, my practice has, and so have many kindhearted strangers.  My personal contribution to help this relative stranger is over $1000 so far.  Dan Hartman is defending him at a good rate.  Please join us to help him.  He is a shining example of a Section 8 Defense, and an equally shining example of the personal and financial hardship that results from relying on Section 8.

Dr. Bob

Edited by Dr. Bob

A section 8 for having two grams of cannabis?

A section 8 isn't going to make the OUI go away.

I had a friend go through this exact same scenario. The best he's going to do with an attorney is MAYBE keep his driving privileges.  They didn't even charge my friend possession for his two grams and he DIDN'T have a card at all.

This is making a mountain out of a mole hill.  Explain his position to the judge and ask for lenience.  He got caught driving while impaired. Help him with that. Thank God the accident didn't get anyone hurt. This is one of those times that you have to really beg a judge for help. The section 8 is a bad, wasteful, idea. Wasteful for his health above all. I can't believe that you would ask the community to help with this terrible idea. We should be asked to help him with his life problems, not paying out the butt to an attorney for a wasteful, drawn out, section 8 trial. I saw this through with my friend and a section 8 was the last thing he needed.

In Michigan, if you are charged with  drug crime, you lose your license, courts have nothing to do with that, no way around that. Minimum 30 days (or 6 months), then you can apply for a restricted.

I have not read anything about how he was driving under the influence, he told the officer he had used medical cannabis.. There was already a case that was tossed because the officer did not prove the defendant WAS IN FACT impaired. so charges were tossed..

And I think a Section 8 is a great idea for this man, the more people stand up and fight, the better all MMJ patients are.( WITHIN REASON! )  If you are Shaun Taylor, well good luck but a fight will be hard... BUT a couple grams? 

C'Mon Mann!!

:bong2:

It is your past that is getting in the way Bob. We know you to be foolish in your determination to, till this point, refuse to recognize the authority of sec. 8. Is that changed Bob?? I expect an answer. Some here will take your advice and refuse to give because you have railed that it is somehow illegitimate to use the AD in a case like this. It is not a minor oversight, but a pretty straightforward failure to follow the reasonable requirements of sec. 4 which, as you have always insisted, is not good reason to rely on the AD.

You reap what you sow.

Edited by GregS

In Michigan, if you are charged with  drug crime, you lose your license, courts have nothing to do with that, no way around that. Minimum 30 days (or 6 months), then you can apply for a restricted.

I have not read anything about how he was driving under the influence, he told the officer he had used medical cannabis.. There was already a case that was tossed because the officer did not prove the defendant WAS IN FACT impaired. so charges were tossed..

And I think a Section 8 is a great idea for this man, the more people stand up and fight, the better all MMJ patients are.( WITHIN REASON! )  If you are Shaun Taylor, well good luck but a fight will be hard... BUT a couple grams? 

C'Mon Mann!!

If you can take the results of the blood test and somehow prove that he wasn't impaired when he got in the accident then that's a good fight. But spending tens of thousands of dollars on a section 8 for two grams is just stupid in my opinion. It's your money so spend it like water. Give it to the doctor's pal the attorney. I would give it to the person.

people v koon was the case of the guy who smoked mmj and drove but was not impaired.

so police have to prove impairment with a field sobriety test.

obviously if they let him go at the scene, he was not impaired.

cmon guys, lets try to be real about this case

dr bob, i think gregs is angry because you had made strong opinions on sec 8 in another thread.

people v koon was the case of the guy who smoked mmj and drove but was not impaired.

dr bob, i think gregs is angry because you had made strong opinions on sec 8 in another thread.

My friend just went through this very same thing. Might even get the same judge. I'm as realistic as it gets.

Let me take a guess that he refused the sobriety test. He either took it and didn't pass or refused it.

Greg is angry because he is an angry guy who doesn't listen or reason well.  I've always said Section 8 is a last defense, it is difficult and expensive.  It is always better to be Section 4.  I haven't even bothered to see what he said, but I am sure it won't add to the discussion or help Greg so I've not spent time on it.

Dr. Bob

My friend just went through this very same thing. Might even get the same judge. I'm as realistic as it gets.

Let me take a guess that he refused the sobriety test. He either took it and didn't pass or refused it.

What im getting from this whole thing, Is they took blood work, and after blood work came back, that is when they charged for the mm and oui! I could be wrong but im pretty sure that is what I read in here!

Peace

What are the results of the blood test?

Oddly we dont have that part of the report, It says they took blood and he smelled and his truck had a smell of mj in it!

this is the original officer report, I guess no one recieved permission to post the one about what his blood showed!

https://dl.dropboxus...iorRecords..pdf

If this one dont work it is in one of Dr,Bob's posts in this thread.

Peace

Let me also say,... who cares what this persons attorney argues in circuit/district to get these charges dropped.  More power to em. Any argument that releases his client is good by me.  I tis just when a case is taken to the COA level where concern over arguments begin. :-)

So,.. good luck on the court case. 

C'Mon Mann!!

Thanks i agree with Shaun Taylor it is up to him 

What im getting from this whole thing, Is they took blood work, and after blood work came back, that is when they charged for the mm and oui! I could be wrong but im pretty sure that is what I read in here!

Peace

That is exactly right Jim.

Was he driving high? That is something that is pertinent for us to know. What was his blood concentration? I know with certainty that he has access to those results because I am familiar with the requirement that he be notified.

Edited by GregS

I am compelled to assist this person, but am on the fence on this. While I don't condone smoking and driving, and driving while stinking I suppose, I hate to see this old timer in trouble.  I wonder if "no accident" would make it easier? I wonder how I'll feel if he hits a pedestrian the next time he drives under the influence, after I supported him with this charge ? Am I condoning driving while under the influence? Should I automatically serve up support for all crimes marijuana committed ? Is our card =carte blanche now ?  He was expired. He was under the influence(maybe?) He caused an accident.  One guy on the forum said he'd free a murderer with a card, if it meant making marijuana legal.

I don't support higher blood alcohol levels for drivers, and this brings that same taste up once more to me.

I'm still on the fence because I don't know all of the facts. Hopefully they are revealed in time for his defense.

I wish him and his family good fortune and hope this closes well for them.