How Asts Handles Medical Marijuana Pee Testing

t-pain

https://www.astscorp.com/downloads/Michigan_Medical_Marihuana_Act.doc

Michigan Medical Marihuana Act (MMMA) of 2008
How Does it Impact Your Company
In the past couple of months, I have been asked to address the issues involved in the
recently passed Michigan Medical Marijuana Act of 2008 from occupational clinics, legal
firms, and employer organizations. The legal issues involved are far ranging and the
recent case regarding the termination of an employee from Wal-Mart in Battle Creek
emphasized the challenges created with this law.

I am not an attorney and this letter is not intended as legal advice. I do feel a
responsibility to our clients in Michigan to provide sufficient warning and information to
allow each of you to respond in an informed manner.

The MMMA was passed with the approval of over 60% of the Michigan voters. This law
is an attempt to override the Federal Drug Administrations ruling that marihuana (both
marijuana, and marihuana are acceptable spellings, however most state and federal laws
spell it with an “h”) is a Schedule I drug indicating that it has a high potential for abuse,
with no currently acceptable medical use.

The law requires that an applicant complete a registration form found at
www.michigan.gov/mmp and the cost of processing the registration is $100. One section
of the form must be completed by a Michigan licensed M.D. or D.O. stating that they
“recommend” that the patient use marijuana for medical reasons. This has created a new
medical practice among physicians that will evaluate your medical files and assist in the
completion of the form. The cost of this 15-minute evaluation is in the $200 to $250
range. There is a separate section that allows the patient to declare a “caregiver” that will
be permitted to grow and sell marijuana on behalf of the patient. Therefore, the law
allows patients and caregivers to grow (up to twelve plants per patient), possess (up to 2.5
ounces), and sell marijuana.

The law prohibits use of the drug in public; however they may possess the drug in public.
Luckily, it does prohibit the operation, navigation, and/or being in actual physical control
of a motor vehicle, boat, or aircraft.
How will any of this impact your business? Most voters believe that we should allow
terminally ill patients should be allowed to use any drug they choose. However the list of
qualifying diseases is very wide ranging and the state has already received more than
17,000 applications as of February 2010.

Most of you don’t know me personally. I am 57 years old, five foot eleven and weigh 175
lbs. I take 3-4 mile hikes with my dog at least 5 times per week, and golf frequently
usually carrying my clubs. I was recently informed by one of the medical marijuana
clinic physicians that I would qualify for medical marijuana. It seems that chronic pain is
a “qualified debilitating medical condition” under MMMA. You see, my knees (which
have both been replaced) ache after I hike through hills and ravines or carry my golf
clubs around the course. How may of you have chronic pain?

Most of the illnesses listed in the MMMA make claims to benefit from smoking
marijuana; however all of the illnesses listed are treated more effectively with
conventional medications.

My office has been dealing with the issue of medical marijuana since 1996 when
California passed their version of this bill. As an MRO, it is nearly impossible to
determine if the ID card is valid. The MMMA does not verify the recipients of the cards.
The cards are a simple ID card that does not contain a picture of the patient and are easily
copied and manipulated to include any name you would like. The physicians typically
will not respond to the MRO request and there is no pharmacy involved. In addition, we
typically receive only a copy of the completed registration form as evidence.

When presented with a positive marijuana test result from a donor that claims to posses a
valid ID card, ASTS issues a “positive” test result with the following comment:
“The MRO has received supporting documentation for a claim of medical
marijuana use. Marijuana is classified by the U.S. FDA as a schedule I drug
indicating that it has a high potential for abuse, with no currently acceptable
medical use.”

The MMMA clearly states that the decision to allow employees to use marijuana is still
left to the employer. As an employer you must address the following issues;
1. How will you address a positive marijuana test result when your employee makes
a claim of possessing a Michigan Marihuana Program (MMP) ID card?
2. With urine drug tests, it is impossible to determine if an individual is “under the
influence.” If this term is in you policy, make certain that this phrase is defined as
any amount of the drug above the established cut-off levels.
3. How will you address a situation when an employee is possessing or selling
marijuana on company premises with an MMP card?
It is our advice that every company addresses these new employment issues, put the
policy in writing, and distribute to every employee so that you avoid the challenges
before they arise.

If we could be further assistance in addressing this issue, please contact us at 800-477-

Vern Jones
www.astscorp.com
www.astsmaritime.com