Are Tobacco Vaporizers Good For Cannabis Oils?

Brief little followup.

My latest pen is a bottom fill Ego "wickless" (actually a very small wick) CE5. Stated advantages of bottom fill are more efficient with oil (especially versus the ones with long wicks to the top where the atomizer is), rebuildable.  But decided I don't like the bottom fill method for the following reasons: 

1) If the oil is relatively thick, filling it at the bottom means that more oil adheres to the sides closer to the tip when you squirt it in. In one case I had to subsequently acquire thinner oil for dilution to reduce the viscosity enough so that it would properly flow down to the wick area.

2) When you add more oil, you unscrew the atomizer from the tip and now have two pieces in your hand with sticky oil surfaces exposed. Awkward and potentially messy. Not so with a top fill.

3) While it is rebuildable, the separate parts means that there are more places for leakage down to the battery. Not a big deal if yer vapin' tobaccy, but at $20-$30 for CO2 oil, cliquid, etc. Even if I were making my own, it still would be a significant loss. This happened with me recently. I don't THINK it was user error. 

I do like the idea of  a very short wick and minimal loss (theoretically) of precious oil of the bottom fill, but #3 is a deal breaker for me. 

Since my experience with different pens is limited, thought there may be other brands/styles that I should take a look at that might reduce the problems above.  

Have a couple variable voltage ego style batteries, and would like to stick with that.

I have mentioned on my blog that the CE5 BDC has a flooding problem with e-cannabis oils. I do like it for my e-cigarette oils though, especially with the 1.8 ohm coils. 

For me, the KangerTech AeroTank Mini has worked flawlessly. Using PG USP it can be a little harsh, but tasty. Using PEG400 NF/USP and some NF Organic flavoring is very impressive.

Each unit has its pros and cons.

Sorry to hear you had problems. I'll tell ya though, I sure have lost my share's worth of oil testing the CE5 BDC with my cannabis oils. You just don't know until you try it. :D

Just ordered a Kanger mini (only 8 bucks on the bay) and we'll see how that goes. Seems like a top fill with a short wick bottom coil would be the best of both worlds since bottom fill is intrinsically messier to refill. But I guess such a creature doesn't exist.

• 1 month later...

Not only is the oil good when used in an e-cig vape, it is good for your health!

A caregiver that I have much faith and trust in recently sent me the following message:

"I also wanted you to know that my friend with asthma also had some spots on his lungs that they thought might be asbestosis. He has been vaping for about six months and they didn't see spots on his last image. They want to do an MRI to find them.

A friend of a friend with epileptic seizures (mild) that cannot be controlled with other medication got a gram. She was seizure free while it lasted - just a small dose in morning and afternoon. She got Tora Bora extract and would like a lifetime worth.

Wonderful stuff that you stumbled on! Thanks again!!!"

This caregiver beat his own cancer using concentrated cannabis oil. They have been following my vaporizing with e-cannabis oil blog. 

I have been vaping the oil with e-cig equipment for over a year. Recently I took a break and went back to smoking joints. I noticed that my lungs have been feeling a little uncomfortable and I have been coughing a bit more. Back when I smoked ciggs I was used to the effects. After having been smoke free for a year and I feel like I have a new pair of lungs it is very uncomfortable inhaling smoke again. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy smoking a joint here and there, but with vaping the oil I feel no negative effects on my lungs.

Edited by GrowGoddess

Just ordered a Kanger mini (only 8 bucks on the bay) and we'll see how that goes. Seems like a top fill with a short wick bottom coil would be the best of both worlds since bottom fill is intrinsically messier to refill. But I guess such a creature doesn't exist.

Very happy with the budvape/sapphire/o-pen disposable cartridges. They fill from the top, and have a bottom coil with short wick. Usually you can get a refill or two out of them before you have to toss them. They are very inexpensive online.

Hopefully it is the real deal, I have not seen one that inexpensive. Normally they run $20-$30. If you are using PEG and NF organic flavorings, it is the best clearomizer there is in my opinion. Also the most efficient to run. The unit is designed to last a lifetime aside from having to change the coils or maybe a gasket. The coils are only about $2 each, then it is like a brand new unit. I have been vaping on mine for well over 3 months. I really don't have any complaints with the mini except for being a little harsh when I use PG USP.

All glass and stainless steel ~ Medical Grade.

The KangerTech AeroTank Mini is awesome! Especially when using PEG400 NF/USP with NF Organic flavorings.