That Pesky Irradiation

shishka

Update Regarding the Status of Tweed's Products
May 01, 2014
To our Valued Customers,

At Tweed, our number one priority is to provide a wide variety of high quality medical marijuana. We aim to be a reliable partner that always has the supply of products that our customers require.

To date, we have fallen short. Although we targeted April for our first strains to be available, we will not be shipping until May. As a new company growing and harvesting our first batches, each step has taken longer than expected - particularly product testing. We have included a process called “cold pasteurization” (also known as irradiation) for our initial batches in order to provide the safest medicine possible. This process has taken extra time that we did not
anticipate.

With each passing week, we’ll be releasing more and more strains and in increasing volumes. We’ve already announced plans to accelerate construction, which will allow us to offer an extended variety and quantity of medicine. While we will likely experience more growing pains, the entire Tweed team is working to ensure that we
continue to be transparent, customer-focused, and committed to the highest standards in quality and variety.

Your support and patience is truly appreciated.

The Team at Tweed
Edited by shishka

It might be worse than we thought.

pot-zombies.jpg

DOA, Electric Frankenstein, Gein and the Graverobbers, and Damage Case provide the punk-fueled soundtrack for this all out gorefest about a crop of radioactive marijuana that gives unsuspecting potheads a gruesome case of the munchies. A simple bag of chips won't suffice for these bong-ripping brain eaters, the only thing that will satisfy their undead craving is a heaping helping of human flesh.

Around here we have a sterilization method that is absolutely guaranteed. We call it fire and it works every time.

No one needs this wiz bang irradiation schit except dumbasses who want to use it to pitch their product to dumbasses..

Nope. Moldy cannabis goes in the trash around here. Or you could make oil, thin it out, and put it through a small enough filter to separate out the bacteria. Science is our friend when we cut through the BS. That's how I knew right away they found mold in their process. Instead of fixing the process they added a step to make it so they can grow moldy cannabis all day long and still sell it to you. They are bull headed stupid and think everyone else is stupid too.

Nope. Moldy cannabis goes in the trash around here. Or you could make oil, thin it out, and put it through a small enough filter to separate out the bacteria. Science is our friend when we cut through the BS. That's how I knew right away they found mold in their process. Instead of fixing the process they added a step to make it so they can grow moldy cannabis all day long and still sell it to you. They are bull headed stupid and think everyone else is stupid too.

What does filtering out the bacteria have to do with mold?

Different organisms altogether.

What does filtering out the bacteria have to do with mold?

Different organisms altogether.

The filters I mentioned are for filtering out bacteria. They work for mold spores too. I'm glad you are paying that close of attention to my posts to find this mistake. Thanks. Would you like a link to buy some filters or were you just fault finding?

Edited by Restorium2

No thank you, I have no need for filters of that sort.

I don't even like the idea of responding to you at all.

Your sentence gave me the impression you didn't differentiate between the two and though it was worth mentioning for others, who might get the wrong impression from your statement.

No thank you, I have no need for filters of that sort.

I don't even like the idea of responding to you at all.

Your sentence gave me the impression you didn't differentiate between the two and though it was worth mentioning for others, who might get the wrong impression from your statement.

I know. You would rather just hit the 'like' button on every post that is negative towards me. lol

Thanks for the help anyway. The same filter works for both bacteria and mold. It's a tedious process though. I tried it once to see how it works. It's hard to force the oil through that fine of a filter.

Edited by Restorium2

mold tests are cheap, and can placed in a bag with bud and shaken for a count, or placed in the grow or drying room also.  Beware though, mold is present in most areas, including leaf material, grow rooms, foods, etc. Understanding mold counts and types will go along way when concerned. Many of the cannabis molds are visible and will have an off odor detectable by our nose for avoidance too. Under a microscope they often appear as webbing or veins amongst the glistening trichomes. Google has a ton of pics for reference.

Most of those are simple irritants to the normal functioning immune system. Writing a check in the grow/drying room is the answer to avoiding powdery mildew, bud rot, black mold, etc.

I think these types of growers speak of this as a way to convince others that any other way is substandard to their own, while presenting erroneous issues to substantiate their techniques.

mold tests are cheap, and can placed in a bag with bud and shaken for a count, or placed in the grow or drying room also.  Beware though, mold is present in most areas, including leaf material, grow rooms, foods, etc. Understanding mold counts and types will go along way when concerned. Many of the cannabis molds are visible and will have an off odor detectable by our nose for avoidance too. Under a microscope they often appear as webbing or veins amongst the glistening trichomes. Google has a ton of pics for reference.

Most of those are simple irritants to the normal functioning immune system. Writing a check in the grow/drying room is the answer to avoiding powdery mildew, bud rot, black mold, etc.

I think these types of growers speak of this as a way to convince others that any other way is substandard to their own, while presenting erroneous issues to substantiate their techniques.

Handy test, never heard of that before.

Do you know what they test for? 

Spore count higher than normal (spores are pretty much everywhere, all the time, Right?) or do they detect mycelial growth?

Edited by I wood

The only time I've had mold is when growing outside. Big buds and heavy rain at harvest time.

I can see where you might have problems if you had a big grow and inadequate ventilation. Maybe tried to pack too many plants into a warehouse or something.

each step has taken longer than expected - particularly product testing.

They actually sound like first timers, "The book says 8 weeks but it doesn't look like the picture on the Attitude website."

Or, maybe they're just more into testing than selling, I've fallen into that trap. :bong2::bong7bp:

The mold level target is never zero except in special applications such as medical and drug facilities which operate in a "clean room" environment where no stray particles are permitted. Mold is a natural ingredient in outdoor air most of the time. We do not want to find higher indoor mold levels than outdoor, and we do not want to find high levels of problematic mold spores indoors.  Even though a count comparison is silly, because of all the different kinds of molds, it does give a prediction.

http://www.medicinalgenomics.com/qpcr-mold-and-bacteria-testing/

steep hill words;

This writeup aims to help providers begin a path towards effective quality assurance over the medicinal products they provide to patients, and become leaders in the industry in the process.

WHAT ARE MOLDS – Molds are biological organisms in the Fungi kingdom. There are many thousands of species of mold in the world. Molds are everywhere. They are in the air we breathe, the food we eat, and the water we drink. Many molds are innocuous, yet many others are potential human pathogens. All molds require moisture to live and reproduce, but mold spores can survive exceptionally extreme conditions devoid of water or warmth.

MOLDS AND CANNABIS – Certain molds seem to continually reappear in the medical cannabis supply. Many of them are fairly ubiquitous and most likely would appear on many similar large leafy green plants. Plants themselves make exceptionally good ecosystems, and generally support a large biological array of species. They are excellent sources of water and sugar, which many animals, bacteria, and molds require for survival. Cannabis is no different, and just about any plant, whether it is grown indoors or outdoors is usually teeming with life.

Under average conditions, you are more likely to find mold spores on a plant that is outdoors. Most molds live outside where there is ample access to water and food. But molds that are outdoors are also more likely to be kept under control by natural checks and balances. Indoors, if molds are able to gain a foothold natural checks are generally lacking, and a small problem can quickly grow to be an epidemic. In grow rooms, the problem is usually exacerbated by high levels of heat and moisture. Once mold is able to gain a foothold inside, it can be extremely difficult to regain control of the situation.

The following is a list of typical molds found on mold in California in order of increasing rarity:

• Powdery Mildew
  • Penicillium
  • Yeast
  • Aspergillus
  • Cladosporium
  • Fusarium
  • Botrytis
  • Aureobasidium
  • Acremonium

and more…..

The relative frequency of these molds will change based on specific geographical locations and environmental conditions.

MOLD PREVENTION – The main key to preventing mold is controlling moisture. For outdoor growers, this can be very difficult. In the late fall, the likelihood of rain increases with each passing day. Once it rains, the soil often becomes saturated and water remains condensed on the underside of leaves and in the tight space between flowering tips. One of the worst things that can happen to an outdoor grower is for a period of rain to be followed by a warm windless sunny day. If this happens, the area underneath the canopy and nearest to the soil can become like a sauna, and a mold explosion can ensue.

There are techniques that can be used to limit the risks associated with a rain event. Completely removing all vegetative material on the underside of the plant within the first 2-3 feet nearest the soil significantly increases airflow under the plants. Air flow will evaporate moisture faster reducing the period of time most amenable to mold growth.

Indoor growers will find that they are better able to control the moisture of their grows. They should expect to invest a decent amount of money into a quality dehumidification system. Relative humidity should be kept at or below 55%. While less important indoors, reducing vegetative material in the few inches nearest to the growing medium can be helpful.

Most molds prefer environments that are on the slightly acidic side. It can therefore be helpful to perpetuate conditions are alkaline. Alkaline water itself can go a long way toward reducing the risk of a powdery mildew mold (PMM) infection. Neem oil can be helpful in eliminating PMM, but is also useful as a preventative measure. Some advanced growers, especially in greenhouses where the risk of mold infection is high, have begun using foggers and nebulizers with anti-fungal compounds. In greenhouses, where the risk is highest these devices maybe used as much as 16 hours a day. This can almost guarantee the elimination of the risk of mold infection.

Animals should be kept out of indoor grows and cure spaces. Dogs and cats will shed dander, and can bring any number of unwanted mold and bacteria into your workspaces. In all grows, plants that are weak or sick should be destroyed and removed from the garden. Weak and sickly plants generally have weakened defenses and can be a target for any number of diseases and pathogens.

MOLD REMEDIATION (INDOOR GROWS/CURE SPACES) – The first step in remediating mold problem is to determine its cause. In order to do so, you must think like a mold. Molds thrive in environments rich in moisture, food, and warmth.

The main factor is moisture. Controlling moisture indoors will go a long way toward controlling a mold problem. In grow rooms, water must be present in order to keep the plants alive. The relatively high temperatures needed for optimal plant growth are unfortunately generally in the optimal range for mold proliferation. Higher temperatures also increase the air’s ability to hold moisture, which means that moisture will steadily be moving from the soil to the air via evaporation, and also by means of transpiration through plant pores. This means that a grow room will by default become humid if no process is in place to remove humidity. If a mold problem exists, the first thing that should be done is to implement a dehumidification system to bring relative humidity below what is optimal for mold growth.

Molds reproduce by making spores that usually cannot be seen without magnification. Mold spores waft through the indoor and outdoor air continually. When mold spores land on a damp spot indoors, they may begin growing and digesting whatever they are growing on in order to survive. In grow rooms, the likely source of food will be dead plant matter and organic matter from the soil. If there is an excessive build up of food, it will be easier for mold to grow. Growers should completely clean grow rooms of plant debris regularly

In cure spaces, dead and drying leaves will accumulate on the floor. It is absolutely imperative that a cure space be meticulously cleaned at least once a week. Do not allow leaves to accumulate on the floor. They will dry out and become crunchy and then turn to dust. Once they become dust they can become suspended in the air and contribute greatly to a potential mold outbreak. It is advisable to clean the floor at least once a week with a light bleach solution (i.e. 2 TBSP per gallon of water), or other anti fungal liquid mixture. Once a month the walls and ceiling should be also be scrubbed. If the cure space has mold contamination, extreme steps may be necessary to eliminate it. If you establish your cure space as a source of mold contamination, do the following:

1. Empty cure space of all items, racks, trays, and cannabis. Only bare walls and floors should be exposed.

2. Clean all surfaces (i.e. floor, ceiling, and walls).

3. If the contamination is slight, bleach may work to kill it. Bleach is not an EPA approved biocide. Products such as Mold Stat, or Du Pont Rely +ON. These are very strong chemicals, but may be the only way to eliminate serious contamination.

4. Spray surfaces with encapsilant. This may not be necessary if the problem is not serious.

5. Clean and disinfect all racks, dehumidifiers, air conditioners, etc. before returning them to the space.

6. Consider changing air filters on air conditioners and dehumidifiers if they are removable.

Dehumidification is necessary for proper curing of cannabis. Sometimes it can be difficult to keep humidity low in a cure space. Wet cannabis is around 80% moisture content. In order for the cannabis to properly dry, that moisture must be removed from the plant material in a timely manner. The need to remove moisture from the plant is balanced by the need to allow chlorophyll to escape the plant. If the plant dries too quickly, chlorophyll will become trapped in the plant and it will smell like hay and potentially be a harsher smoke. If mold has become a problem in a cure space and the space cannot be cleared immediately, a grower may find that lowering the temperature will help stop the problem from spreading. This will lower the relative humidity in the cure space, and inhibit more mold growth. It is highly unadvisable to continue using a cure space once mold has gained a foothold.

Cure spaces should not have any wood surfaces. Ideally the walls, floor, and ceiling should be made of metal, glass, or synthetic materials like plastic. You will find that these materials naturally inhibit mold growth. If a surface is made of wood, and mold has begun growing on it, the only solution may be to sand the surface down until the mold is no longer visible, and then apply a sealant. Mold eats wood. Avoid having it in your cure space.

Ventilation can also be a source of mold contamination. Cure spaces and grow rooms should not pull unfiltered air in from the outdoors. Ideally, both should have HEPA filters on any intakes, and the rooms should be positively pressurized. This means that the air pressure inside the room is greater than the areas around. Air will flow from within the room to the outside through unsealed cracks and leaks.

Handy test, never heard of that before.

Do you know what they test for? 

Spore count higher than normal (spores are pretty much everywhere, all the time, Right?) or do they detect mycelial growth?

some growers are satisfied with 5x over the outdoor count, some demand less than outdoor. It comes down to expense, location, and need. Simple tools like a dehumidifier, ac unit, no water spills or leaks, heap ventilation, air scrubbers, go a long way at keeping spores to acceptable levels. I have what I call a dirty indoor greenhouse type of grow rooms, often with dirt in the trays, even with worms in the little spill piles. theres always some rogue dried leaves here and there, a bubbling bucket of tea, and I've seen condensation on the ac unit even. I see no visible mold anywhere in the rooms, but the counts are the same as the outdoors. Interesting though, the remainder of the building tests slightly higher than the outdoors. dirt floor maybe, ac exhaust, surely.

• 4 months later...

I really dont think Tweed is up to the task of being a licensed producer right now. Am currently registered with them and thus far am less than impressed. Went to place an order with them today only to find out that both the strains I need are out of stock and wont back in stock til DECEMBER! As a company who took on patients knowing the demand they would be facing and not being able to medication to fill that demand is both irresponsible and unprofessional. I will be heading to my Dr and requesting a change of LP

Edited by JesseG604

hey help me out jesse.  LP?  are you in Canada?

also, i know a caregiver's woman who got bronchitis she could not shake, despite 4 hospitatizations last winter.  docs narrowed the cause to the moldy weed with wpm and botyritis she was smoking.  she didn't want the guy to give it to patients, so she smoked it.  poor 'kid.'

Edited by pic book

Inhale any kind of mold spores will mess your lungs up. Necrotizing pneumonia has gotten me twice now and it doesn't go away.I didn't get it from moldy mj. I got it outside in my garden. We have so many different kinds of molds and fungi out here,it was that weird stuff that looks like dog puke and when you spray if with water it explodes into brown smokey spores. I could feel it get into my airway,they smelled like all mold does. I left the puffballs alone this year. I find different kinds of fungi everywhere,on tree bark,in a sunny area in the grass,in shady areas,on our roof shingles. And they are all different. And in my case,not very good for me. Not even the sun kills it.I can't use poison because of the animals. And even BLEACH full strength didn't kill that smokey stuff. Could be in the bedding,the plants,Hubs buys cheap at the end of summer,and I thing some of those are coming with mold.I keep telling him to NOT buy plants with any kind of brown leaves,or dots,but he still does. Oh,and the new neighbor decided to clear out the part of the woods he bought.....and burned poison ivy. What an idiot. Our house is old and has a cinderblock basement. There is no way we could ever make it mold-proof enough to grow mj. And from the way some of my bushes look,they are getting torn out ,put in plastic and dumped. I would not even burn them,I don't know what they have on them. Sometimes even burning,the tried and true way,is contaminating the smoke.