Clone Time

I have always wondered do clones eventually go bad? I was thinking of germinating new seed to start new clones, I just want to know if clones eventually lose genetics and end up going bad? If they do ill end up germinating new seeds to clone from, if not I will continue with the clones.

I've cloned of clones for a hundred generations with no issues. Poor garden habits can introduce pathogens and bacteria that will cause genetic changes at the time of cloning though.

rare in a medical garden, more common in a greenhouse. no worries, be clean, use a clean sterile scalpel and dip immediately. we wish you great success.

Don't let that keep you from germing more seeds, because you'll be amazed at the different phenotypes that can exist in the same strain seed pack.

The Trainwreck that I've been growing for the past two years finally went bad on me. I got the original cuttings from a friend so there's no telling how long ago this was originally cloned. My last two plants were really stunted. So, while it may not happen often, it does happen. Time for me to place a seed order. 

• 3 weeks later...

that may not have anything to do with how many times its been cloned, or how old the cloning is. Your clonal failure may just have happened to your particular clone cutting at your hands. There is no expiration date on healthily taken clones.

WHAT HE SAID! Genetics do not wear out. Other environmental issues would probably be the cause.