Seed Dump On Me: A Vietnam War Vet Who Started His Collection

pic book

of ganga seeds by sending back a trunk full from Ben Hue Province in 1969 has gifted me with his entire seed collection.  We happen to have strokes in common, eating buds and pomegranate juice in common...didn't know he had plans for me until he showed up with the key to the storage locker where he keeps 4 trunks of his, afi, malawi, dutch, cali, seed banks, and vietnam bag seed from his service days. He spent his leaves hunting strains and seeds and bigger bongs. He always thot he'd get a job that allowed him to grow, but never did, so all his life he just bot his weed so there is a lot of bag seed in the collection... A single guy who bot his women, his vacations were spent as he wanted----in foreign climes strain-hunting... now that dr. says '6 months' he is cleaning up lose ends, and i'm amazed and flabbergasted that he dumped on me the ownership of his collection plus the $68 monthly bill for the storage locker.  Any suggestions? 

of ganga seeds by sending back a trunk full from Ben Hue Province in 1969 has gifted me with his entire seed collection.  We happen to have strokes in common, eating buds and pomegranate juice in common...didn't know he had plans for me until he showed up with the key to the storage locker where he keeps 4 trunks of his, afi, malawi, dutch, cali, seed banks, and vietnam bag seed from his service days. He spent his leaves hunting strains and seeds and bigger bongs. He always thot he'd get a job that allowed him to grow, but never did, so all his life he just bot his weed so there is a lot of bag seed in the collection... A single guy who bot his women, his vacations were spent as he wanted----in foreign climes strain-hunting... now that dr. says '6 months' he is cleaning up lose ends, and i'm amazed and flabbergasted that he dumped on me the ownership of his collection plus the $68 monthly bill for the storage locker.  Any suggestions? 

You have a gold mine imo don't let it pass you up

trust any breeders?  trust one person or group? what about   just give everyone you can find a bag of seeds and let nature, free market, whatever take its course. its usually bad when one person has a large collection. that guy who started the Sea of Green technique lost all of his clone-only strains in a raid. 

want california breeders to have it? mich breeders? british columbia breeders? .

keep it in cold storage until mj is total legal?

dunno. keep it until you cant keep it no more, then pass it along?

theres also the problem of seeds losing germ rates over years. sometimes they can be tricked into germinating with chemicals and fluctuations in temperatures, but sometimes they are dead or too weak to sprout.

Wow dude thats an awsome gift to receive, I would talk to a few of the best growers in here, a few names come to mind, Lhb, grassmatch, and im sure you know a few, I would put a few sample packs together and work out some kind of deal with a few people, like clones in return, or pay it forward. (i know there are many good growers in here, no offense if I didnt mention you)

What ever you chose to do with them Im sure will be good enough to your friend that is leaving them to you!

Best of luck!

Peace

if you didn't know, this was in reference to someone possibly paying the past due rent and coming to an agreement, knowing you may be jammed up at the moment.

You may have gems in there that have been lost to most of the world by now. some could be the very cure that we know is "in there", for disease like epilepsy and cancers. Yours may be a collection of virgin untested territory and I believe you have the duty to explore those possibilities, any way that you can. This may be the gift of life, of a lifetime. Can you imagine having seeds to some of those wild flower varieties mowed down daily in Africa before they're even identified and tested? The very place where the majority of ancient medicines originate.  Considering the non breeder selections you possess of yesteryear sacred will give you points for sure. A passing man trusted you to do the right thing, I think you deserve to trust yourself to do it.

peace, do well with the gift

edit for " Past" bill amount owed? 

Edited by grassmatch

gm--the rent is current.  i called and asked the unit yesterday.

also found out they are not easy.   his signature that i am taking over the unit is not good enuf...to get access, i have to come show his note, and if the cig matches his rental sig, then i can put the unit in my name and get a passcode.  knowing what is in the unit, do i want to do that?

also, i asked him for an inventory of the seeds and he scratched out 3 columns--thai, laos, cam--and went to sleep, which is what he's usually doing.

he didn't emerge from the mists today, and so this afternoon i realized that unless he kept a list of the contents in the trunks they could simply be a stack of beans collectively half the size of a car--and all unknown.  for an engineer he is chaotically disorganized; his house is a cyclone scene that he built every inch of himself, with studs but no sheetrock.  

Edited by pic book

well if ya dont get it in your name and you cant get in it, they'll probably just throw it out after its not paid for. that or auction it off like storage wars. ;\

will they take a p.o. box addy? your name + p.o. box might be good idea...

Edited by t-pain

well if ya dont get it in your name and you cant get in it, they'll probably just throw it out after its not paid for. that or auction it off like storage wars. ;\

will they take a p.o. box addy? your name + p.o. box might be good idea...

my storage unit guy just emptys the units out and takes the shtuff to the dump,  I happened to be at my unit one day when the owner was evicting the unit next to me,,,,,I know him well, Ive had 2 units with him for prob 15 yrs,  He said there was a stereo system in there and offered it to me for 20 bucks, he said I had to take one of them furniture stereo's with turn table, you know the old ones that were in the living rooms that peeps would listen to if they didnt have a t.v, any how I couldnt see the one he would sell me for 20, so I leaned and got a peak of it, I moved the old one to my unit right next store, and than I got to see it, It was a 5 peice unit I believe crown was the name of it all, I already have d.j equip, but I took it any hoo, I got it home and hooked it all up, man it was awsome, better than what I already had but way to heavy to use on some of my gigs,,,,,I sold 3 of the 5 peices and got over 3k for the 3 of them sold seperatly!  I sold them on ebay, the best part is I didnt have 20 bucks on me when we did the deal bawahahahahaha!  I paid it next time rent was due, I always pay cash in case he dont want to claim it,,,,I dont claim it!

Peace and Im hoping I get another deal like that soon!

• 3 weeks later...

the first 4 canvas bags from trunk number 1 have pieces of cardboard in them as markers with names: panama gold, panama red, columbian gold, thai sticky (sic), and an oddball---monkey paw.  no dates present anywhere, but the monkey paw has to be recent?

how old is the cardboard? old cardboard is different than the cardboard of today i'd say. got any really really old boxes to compare?

any stickers, labels or writing on the cardboard aside from the handwritten note?

i wonder if we could go look at high times archives and see what strains were mentioned in the 70s?

btw i'll take a bag if you're getting rid of it haha

Edited by t-pain

The cardboard is thin and flaky, more like cheap layers of paper..the writing is  blue runny ink that spread out so i used a magnifying glass to read it.  no id or labels or wrapping but there are some dried grasses or stems, mixed in with seeds.

monkey paw is old. and awesome. Laos/Vietnam/Nepalese?) areas maybe, but who really knows. Nobody has offered the genetics for sale commercially, strangely,since I've been online, or maybe I didn't see it  yet. I have three females I am successfully  coaxing from the (supposed) Monkey Paw tissue cultures gifted to me from that area by a fellow culturist met online. A few years ago the same person referred me to others in the craft and I was gifted the wildest Sativa I've ever had(in culture form of course) from Africa ! waay to intense for anyone I'd say, least anyone I would want to know.....

how old is the cardboard? old cardboard is different than the cardboard of today i'd say. 

Might the difference be the chemicals used in production of the cardboard? As with most things, production methods have likely changed along with allowable processing chemicals.  Would hate to hear that some bad chemicals used to be used that leached into stored items.  

runny ink may indicate a moisture issue somewhere down the line. Get some of those seeds germing already before they expire for good :bong2:

The cardboard is thin and flaky, more like cheap layers of paper..the writing is  blue runny ink that spread out so i used a magnifying glass to read it.  no id or labels or wrapping but there are some dried grasses or stems, mixed in with seeds.

well, that would depend on your own growing habits of course. Any plant can be tamed and trained.

My Paws are 7 feet tall this day in flower, vegged only for a couple weeks after coming out of their blob. Giant leaves, thin, slight orangy smell so far. long flowering too. Panama Red was a blast ! not a great yielder for me, but super unique tasting with high vibration, long flowering too