Outdoor Design, Top Covering

sho

So we have converted a large room into a giant humidor, we keep the temp at 68 F. and rh at 65%, they can hang for well over a year this way. 

cool. i'm surprised they dont rot at those humidity/temp levels. is there air filtration or air movement or light or is it a dark room ?

i'm curious because people always ask how to long term store marijuana... thanks for any advice.

It is prudent to count them as one or the other, and not as an unlimited quantity. Counting drying plants as usable marihuana doesn't make sense for two reasons:

1) Drying marihuana is not yet dry; it is wet, and does not fit the definition of "usable marihuana;"

2) Wet marihuana weighs ten times more than dry marihuana, so every harvest would put the grower out of compliance.

So, you don't want to set up a system that drying marihuana can be mistaken for usable marijuana, in my opinion.

Sounds more like 'stored' marijuana then drying marijuana. Some ideas look a lot better on paper than in the court room. His hanging marijuana definitely is not wet or it would be moldy by now.

I wonder why he would make that up and then not come back and bust me, humm

Because he's waiting to see some of your 60 pounds on the street. You think he believed 5 patients are going to smoke all that marijuana? He will send that fat biker nark in the Caddy over to your house to make a buy. Then the chick in the Prius. He's workin' it no doubt.

I wonder why he would make that up and then not come back and bust me, humm

Because he's waiting to see some of your 60 pounds on the street. You think he believed 5 patients are going to smoke all that marijuana? He will send that fat biker nark in the Caddy over to your house to make a buy. Then the chick in the Prius. He's workin' it no doubt.

he has had 3 years, how long is he planning to wait? that 60 pounds is no longer on the street, it is up in smoke!

I don't sell to people driving Caddy's ;-P and no one with a Prius would drive down my driveway!

Edited by wkinne

he has had 3 years, how long is he planning to wait? that 60 pounds is no longer on the street, it is up in smoke!

Then you have been very lucky. Thinking that they are going to let you sell 60 pounds on the street, you are not lucky enough to overcome that mistake for very long. You can either be right out there in public following the law to a T or you can hide and sell 60 pounds on the street. You are having your cake and eating it too. Cops will bust you for that. Even if you know them.

Unanimous Michigan Supreme Court Decision Upholds Voters' Intent of Medical Marijuana Law
Posted: 06/14/2012 5:53 pm

On Thursday, May 31, the Michigan Supreme Court unanimously agreed to overturn a decision by the Michigan Court of Appeals and protect medical marijuana patients and caregivers, preserving the intent of the Michigan Medical Marihuana Act (MMMA). The highest court in the state, in reviewing two cases -- Larry King in Shiawassee County and Alexander Kolanek in Oakland County -- ruled that registered and unregistered medical marijuana patients and caregivers are entitled to a medical marijuana defense, so long as they meet the requirement of Section 8 of the MMMA.*

The court relied heavily on ballot language, notably to, "permit registered and unregistered patients and primary caregivers to assert medical reasons for using marijuana as a defense to any prosecution involving marijuana." Michigan voters overwhelmingly approved the Act in November 2008.

This admittedly broader interpretation of the law finally follows what many courts have failed to do since the MMMA was enacted -- listen to the will of the people and truly understand the intent of the law. Voters approved the MMMA as a means to help patients and caregivers, protect them from arrest and allow them to achieve a higher quality of life through the use of medical marijuana.

In the last two years since the Court of Appeals decision, patients and caregivers have suffered greatly because of such a narrow interpretation of the law. Many of those cases will undoubtedly be revisited, with patients being properly defended and allowed to rely on a law some judges disallowed in their courtrooms because of personal bias.

Beyond the aforementioned cases and potential appeals, this decision has a huge impact moving forward for patients, caregivers and law enforcement.

With several bills being debated in the Michigan Senate that could change the MMMA, including one that would provide the names of registered patients to law enforcement officials, the Supreme Court's decision has the power to render them obsolete before being voted on. While many politicians are working diligently to pick apart the MMMA by drafting and sponsoring bills to further restrict access and patient protections, the state's highest legal authority is essentially saying their efforts are wrong.

If HB 4834 were to be passed, providing patient medical information to law enforcement, new and re-applying patients can avoid potential conflict by simply not sending their paperwork in to the state. The Court's decision allows for those with an established doctor-patient relationship to present a medical marijuana defense, regardless of status with the state.

Currently, the MMMA protects patients in Section 6h by guaranteeing confidentiality and exemption from the Freedom of Information Act. Imagine being pulled over, and instead of being issued a warning or a ticket, the officer has access to your entire medical history, and uses it against you. The medical marihuana registry must remain confidential in order for the MMMA to work, and for patients to trust in it.

The bill passing could encourage patients to no longer apply to the state, but still go through the registration and medical processes to protect themselves, resulting in fewer applications and less money for the state. Politicians may not realize it now, but the bills they are attempting to pass are not doing anything to regulate medical marijuana, only making it more dangerous for already scared patients trying to find relief.

The timing of the Supreme Court's decision also couldn't be more poetic, and comes when the state's patients and caregivers are being harassed more than ever. With this ruling, Michigan legislators should shelve all the proposed medical marijuana bills and reevaluate the true issues -- making medical marijuana access better and safer for patients, protecting the law of the people and setting their personal agendas aside in a quest to better serve their constituents.

It will be interesting to see how police and prosecutors handle future medical marijuana cases in light of the Supreme Court's decision, now that each case will potentially be evaluated by juries made up of the same voting public who approved the Act.

*Section 8 - Except as provided in section 7, a patient and a patient's primary caregiver, if any, may assert the medical purpose for using marihuana as a defense to any prosecution involving marihuana, and this defense shall be presumed valid

Accordingly, we hold that to establish the elements of the affirmative defense in 

§ 8, a defendant need not establish the elements of § 4. Any defendant, regardless of 

registration status, who possesses more than 2.5 ounces of usable marijuana or 12 plants 

not kept in an enclosed, locked facility may satisfy the affirmative defense under § 8. As 

long as the defendant can establish the elements of the § 8 defense and none of the 

circumstances in § 7(b) exists, that defendant is entitled to the dismissal of criminal

charges.

Mary Beth Kelly 

Robert P. Young, Jr. 

Michael F. Cavanagh 

Marilyn Kelly 

Stephen J. Markman 

Diane M. Hathaway 

Brian K. Zahra

Then you have been very lucky. Thinking that they are going to let you sell 60 pounds on the street, you are not lucky enough to overcome that mistake for very long. You can either be right out there in public following the law to a T or you can hide and sell 60 pounds on the street. You are having your cake and eating it too. Cops will bust you for that. Even if you know them.

I do not sell on the street, I only sell to patients. I am a fat old man and do not even know any kids to sell to. I sold some at the Jackson Farmers Market when it was open, I have also sold some at C3 in Flint. But most goes to me and my 5 patients, it comes down to just under 1/2 ounce per day. I use no less than 1/4 ounce per day and sometimes close to an oz. I smoke through a vaporizer and also make BHO, friends help me keep up the pace.

This is not universally accepted around Michigan. Most places they are either a plant or usable. Take your pick. Either they are still in your plant count or they are in your usable. By the sound of it he has plants hanging that he's not counting as plants or usable.

I count them as plants, I do not grow indoors so I have zero plants in the ground after I harvest. Only in the spring when we are preparing 72 new plants do we finally have to harvest our last plants from the year before. This has worked great for me and I will continue. I helped pay for my son to go to law school, so if I do have problems he will be there to help me out. The worst that can happen is they pull my plants and I start over, no different than being robbed.

Hanging, drying plants are counted as plants rather than usable marihuana. This is why it is prudent to keep them whole, and inside the locked, enclosed facility, to avoid confusion.

Nice to see someone here has a non confrontational post, thank you.

GRAND RAPIDS (WWJ/AP) – The chief justice of the Michigan Supreme Court says he’s seen enough medical marijuana cases.

Robert Young Jr. told The Grand Rapids Press that the law approved by voters in 2008 is “no model of clarity” and says “it’s a mess.”

He spoke to the newspaper Tuesday while in Grand Rapids for a judicial conference, summing it up by saying  he’s “so sick of medical marijuana cases.

So do not plead guilty to some lesser charge, take it to the Supreme Court and listen to the Chief Justices complain to the prosecutor for wasting their time! We have won this fight, we just need for the Police and Prosecutors to learn this fact.

Edited by wkinne

cool. i'm surprised they dont rot at those humidity/temp levels. is there air filtration or air movement or light or is it a dark room ?

i'm curious because people always ask how to long term store marijuana... thanks for any advice.

65 to 70 degrees F and 65% rh is what Cigar Humidors are set at. I do have a small fan keeping the air moving. It is 100% dark. They keep better this way than anything else I have tried. I have vacuum sealed, glass jarred with vacuum, frozen, paper sacked, even nitrogen filled buckets, and this keeps the buds the closest to harvest quality I have seen. We cut down the whole plant with bolt cutters at the base, we hang them upside-down with fan leaves on. After 3 days or so we will start removing some fan leafs if we feel like it, but not necessary. Trimming dry is a PITA so we are buying the TrimPal this year. We have them in a 50% rh room for the first 3 or 4 days to make sure we get no mold, then we set it to 65% rh for the remainder of their stay. This is not rocket science, we are just copying what has been done to cigars for years. We have never had a mold problem with this process.

Hope this helps.

Edited by wkinne

65 to 70 degrees F and 65% rh is what Cigar Humidors are set at. I do have a small fan keeping the air moving. It is 100% dark. They keep better this way than anything else I have tried. I have vacuum sealed, glass jarred with vacuum, frozen, paper sacked, even nitrogen filled buckets, and this keeps the buds the closest to harvest quality I have seen. We cut down the whole plant with bolt cutters at the base, we hang them upside-down with fan leaves on. After 3 days or so we will start removing some fan leafs if we feel like it, but not necessary. Trimming dry is a PITA so we are buying the TrimPal this year. We have them in a 50% rh room for the first 3 or 4 days to make sure we get no mold, then we set it to 65% rh for the remainder of their stay. This is not rocket science, we are just copying what has been done to cigars for years. We have never had a mold problem with this process.

Hope this helps.

thanks, yeah i understand the cigar thing, just never heard of people using a humidor for bud before.

theres a lot of stuff to read on the internet , i just missed it.

I really like the 60 gram ones, http://www.bovedainc.com/solutions/herbal/ they work perfect in a 2qt wide mouth mason jar with a 1/4 pound inside ;-P

If you are doing less than 10 pounds I would suggest the 2 quart wide mouth jars, they will hold a 1/4 pound nicely. You do need to be in a state that allows you to have that much of course.

Buy them mail order from Walmart or the like and they come in very light tight boxes

Fascinating thread and description by Wkinne and added info by Zap regarding plant count vs. weight. Hopefully we can welcome his report and at the same time provide new growers with the knowledge that his experience with LEO is unique when compared to what is happening in most counties.

I would have to agree with wkinne regarding hostility. There is no question that the advice he seems to have gotten from BAYNET does not jive with the current law, but the reality is the "law" is being applied differently all over the state. Lets not jump on the messenger, lets just take his experience for what it is and acknowledge that it appears to be unique.

For example, I think we would all agree that dispensaries are operating illegally, yet where I live in Detroit, I can walk to four of them. Over in AA, not only does the city side step the issue of legality, the City Attorney testifies in their defense in Lansing.

Wkinne, great post and very informative. I look forward to seeing future posts about how your efforts are going this summer. Now that said, if it had an operation like you do, I would not post anything, just too paranoid to trust politicians and LEO.

Edited by semicaregiver

thanks, yeah i understand the cigar thing, just never heard of people using a humidor for bud before.

theres a lot of stuff to read on the internet , i just missed it.

hey t-pain, wkinne knows the way-beyond side of bud way beyond you cause he is a commercial and a professional grow-err. This is so entertaining, to hear his boast, his inside info and you know he is just a few years in or he'd have a $15k trimmer or two.  it is great fun and interesting...he's backwards of us tiny grow ops, he is not wkinne but kwinn-the-eskimo pushing Big Slugger numbers...the dea guys love to read these shooters, and aims for them.  one of my ustabewive's cousins is kevin bacon, the actor, and her other cousin is dea so it's like we saw and heard the dea christmas and thanksgiving, and kevin is not as good a storyteller as the dea guy telling of grows busted on cornfields owned by lawyers and ministers.  

the point is, big grows, just cuz they are big azz grows; have to be quiet.  the dea looks for clues in media, local news, and cyber....kwinne, what you say in your defense may be legal, make give the law clarity if taken to the supreme court.  and so far you are lucky, cause most of the helicopters in the state every fall would have busted your azz.  you know you are a cowboy?   and a dare-devil.  can you do time?

thats only a few pounds of oil. i could consume 10 lbs in 1 year.

if any of you have 10lbs of usable marihuana and want me to take the 10 pound challenge, no charge even!

just let me know and i'll come over and pick up a great big bag of it.

453 grams per pound, so i'd have to eat 2 grams minimum per day.

smoke a few grams per day too.

and then make oil out of the other 5 pounds. for a gram of oil per day for an entire year?

i would not be able to drive during the challenge.