Lara Online Applications?

huh, who asked lara/legislators about online applications and change forms?

its just a draft.

DEPARTMENT OF LICENSING AND REGULATORY AFFAIRS
DIRECTOR'S OFFICE
MICHIGAN MEDICAL MARIHUANA
Proposed Draft May 22, 2014
Filed with the Secretary of State on
These rules become effective immediately upon filing with the Secretary of State unless adopted
under section 33, 44, or 45a(6) of 1969 PA 306. Rules adopted under these sections become
effective 7 days after filing with the Secretary of State.

R 333.103 New registration application; qualifying patient and primary caregiver.
Rule 3. (1) A qualifying patient applying for a registry identification card shall comply with all
of the following: apply for a registry identification card in a manner prescribed by the
department, which may include an online application. An applicant for a registry card
shall submit the required fee and all of the following:

The department may waive this
requirement if the department is able to verify the applicant’s Michigan driver license or
personal identification card online through the Department of State.

Rule 11. (1) The A qualifying patient shall pay a $60.00 fee for a new or renewal application

2) A primary caregiver shall pay a $25 processing fee each time the department is
required to secure the primary caregiver’s criminal conviction history and verify his or her
eligibility to be a registered primary caregiver. The processing fee applies to new
applications, renewal applications, and changeforms that designate a primary caregiver.

(6) A registered qualifying patient or primary caregiver is not eligible for a refund if any
of the following occurs:
(a) The qualifying patient’s application isdenied or the qualifying patient withdraws
from the registry program.
(b) The department has processed the application or change form and issued a registry
card to the patient or primary caregiver.
© The department determines the primary caregiver listed on the application or change
form is ineligible.

no refunds you chumps!

this paper says 'legal name' about a hundred times, did anyone get a card with 'smokey mcpotsmoker' on it ? i mean really? really?

A qualifying patient whose application is denied
may reapply at any time by submitting a new application and the supporting documents
and information as specified in R 333.103. Any fee that a patient submits with an
application that is denied is valid for 2 years from the date the department received the fee
and may be used by the patient to reapply. Thisprovision does not apply to processing fees
submitted by primary caregivers who the department has determined to be ineligible.

ok so you can reapply without paying 2x.

(f) The department was unable to verify the information provided.

what if they dont want to? will that end the program?

(5) An applicant may submit a renewal application up to 60 days before the expiration
date on the registry identification card. A registry card is not renewed unless the
department approves the renewal application prior to the expiration date of the registry
card.

submit early, call often.

(3) The members of the review panel shall beappointed for a term of 4 years. A member
of the panel shall not serve more than 2 terms and 1 partial term, consecutive or otherwise.
However, a panel member serving when this rule takes effect may complete the term to
which the member was appointed.

interesting.

5) A majority of the review panel of those who are present at each meeting
shall concur with the recommendation in order to be considered an official recommendation of
the panel.

nice.

If the petition does not contain current medical, empirical,
and evidence-based data as described in subrule (1) of this rule, the department shall
return the petition to the petitioner as incomplete.

sure ok.

http://www7.dleg.state.mi.us/orr/Files%5CORR%5C1303_2013-105LR_orr-draft.pdf

The common complaint from applicants for renewal and registration is that the process takes too long.
This issue is compounded when an applicant who would otherwise qualify for registration submits an
incomplete application, is denied, and must begin the process anew. The online process would prevent
incomplete applications from being submitted, eliminate processing errors, and allow the applications to
be processed more efficiently. Further, the online process may reduce the costs the Department incurs to
process applications.

However, residents of rural areas with inconsistent internet service may
complain about needing to submit applications online.

wait... completely eliminate paper applications? online only??

The Medical Marihuana Program considered submission of paper applications under certain
circumstances, but this structure is neither feasible nor efficient.

i guess so. now the only 'old form' you get is until you hit f5 :P

I'll be looking into this. 

One issue with the 'legal' name is a common cause of rejections.

My name is Bob.  Everyone calls me Bob.  Mention Dr. Bob, folks think of me. 

but my drivers license and birth certificate say 'Robert".  So my application must say 'Robert'.  We get about 10 rejections a month for patients or caregivers that put a common nickname on the application and we catch more than 100.

USE THE NAME ON YOUR DRIVERS LICENSE OR ID FOR YOU APPLICATION.

Dr. Robert

I didn't.  They had my drivers license, soc. sec. and my printing of my name.  It's the same first name and the same address.  If they can't get it right 3 times in a row  I'm not about to call them and worry about card reissues.  I'll be getting another caregiver card in the next 2 weeks.  We'll see if they get that one right.

So now to be a caregiver i have to pay 25$?

Yes. It sounds like the reduction in patient application fees will be least partially offset by caregiver background check fees. 

It's my understanding that LARA currently uses ICHAT (Michigan State Police) for background checks, which should be at no cost to LARA. And, according to the ICHAT FAQ, all that is entered is the first name, last name, sex, date of birth of the assigned caregiver, and once entered it takes approximately one minute to receive the results.  It makes me wonder why a 5 minute task (my estimate) for an ICHAT background check would delay the process for a change form to 60 to 90 days.  

Edited by cheapshades

• 2 weeks later...

a copy of a kind email along with a reply may prove a worthy bit in your briefcase one day ....

I didn't.  They had my drivers license, soc. sec. and my printing of my name.  It's the same first name and the same address.  If they can't get it right 3 times in a row  I'm not about to call them and worry about card reissues.  I'll be getting another caregiver card in the next 2 weeks.  We'll see if they get that one right.

• 1 month later...

theres a june 20th draft now.

http://www7.dleg.state.mi.us/orr/Files%5CORR%5C1303_2013-105LR_orr-draft.pdf

June 20, 2014
DEPARTMENT OF LICENSING AND REGULATORY AFFAIRS
DIRECTOR'S OFFICE
MICHIGAN MEDICAL MARIHUANA

Proposed Draft June 20, 2014

Filed with the Secretary of State on

These rules become effective immediately upon filing with the Secretary of State unless adopted
under section 33, 44, or 45a(6) of 1969 PA 306. Rules adopted under these sections become
effective 7 days after filing with the Secretary of State.
(By authority conferred on the director of the department of licensing and regulatory
affairs by section 5 of initiated law 1 of 2008, MCL 333.26425 and Executive
Reorganization Order Nos. 1996-1, 1996-2, 2003-1 and 2011-4, MCL 330.3101, MCL
445.2001, MCL 445.2011 and 445.2030)
R 333.101, R 333.103, R 333.105, R 333.109, R 333.111, R 333.113, R 333.117, R 333.119, R
333.123, R 333.125, R 333.131, and R 333.133 of the Michigan Administrative Code are
amended, R 333.126 is added to the code, and R 333.107, R 333.121, and R 333.127 are
rescinded as follows:

R 333.101 Definitions.
Rule 1. As used in these rules:
(1) "Act" means the Michigan medical marihuana act, Initiated Law 1 of 2008, MCL
333.26421 to 333.26430.
(2) "Applicant" means a qualifying patient applying for a medical marihuana registry
identification card on a form provided by the department of licensing and regulatory affairs.
(4) (3) "Conviction" or "convicted" means a criminal conviction of an offense by a guilty
verdict from a judge or jury, plea of guilty, or plea of no contest.

(4) “Legal name” means a qualifying patient or primary caregiver’s name as it appears on
a valid, lawfully obtained Michigan driver license issued under the Michigan vehicle code,
1949 PA 300, MCL 257.1 to 257.923, or an official state personal identification card issued
under 1972 PA 222, MCL 28.291 to 28.300, or a voter registration card issued under 1954
PA 116, MCL 168.1 to 168.992.

(12) (5) "Parent or legal guardian" means the custodial parent or legal guardian with
responsibility for health care decisions for a qualifying patient who is under 18 years of age.
(13) (6) “Petition" means a written request for the department to add new medical conditions or
treatments to the list of debilitating medical conditions under R 333.101(5) section 3(b) of the
act, MCL 333.26423(b).

(23) (7) Terms defined in the act have the same meanings when used in these rules.

R 333.103 New registration application; qualifying patient and primary caregiver.
Rule 3. (1) A qualifying patient apply for a registry identification card in a manner prescribed by the
department, which may include an online application. An applicant for a registry card
shall submit the required fee and all of the following:
(a) An original, completed application that is signed by the qualifying patient and
dated within 1 year of the date the application is received. The qualifying patient shall submit the original
completed application, which shall include all of the following information:
(i) Name The legal name, mailing address, and date of birth of the qualifying patient. The
address for the qualifying patient shall be a physical address located in this state. A qualifying
patient who is homeless shall not be required to provide a physical address, but he or she shall
provide a mailing address where the department can send correspondence regarding the
patient’s registry status.
(ii) Name The physician’s name as it appears on his or her Michigan physician’s license,
mailing address, and telephone number of the qualifying patient's physician who provided the
written certification.
(iii) The legal name, mailing address, and date of birth of the patient's primary caregiver, if
applicable. A qualifying patient may designate 1 primary caregiver to assist with his or her
medical use of marihuana.
(iv) A designation of whether the qualifying patient or the patient's primary caregiver, if
applicable, will be allowed to possess marihuana plants for the qualifying patient's medical use.
(v) An attestation by the primary caregiver named on the application that he or she agrees to
serve as the patient's primary caregiver. The attestation must be signed by the primary
caregiver and dated within 1 year of the date the application is received. The attestation
shall authorize the department to use the information provided on the application or as
part of the attestation to secure the primary caregiver’s criminal conviction history and
determine if he or she has been convicted of any of the offenses provided under section 3(h)
of the act, MCL 333.26423(h).

(vi) The department may require the attestation required under paragraph (v) of this
subdivision to be submitted as part of the supporting documents and information required
under subdivision (b) of this subrule.
(b) The supporting documents and information required under section 6 of the act, MCL
333.26426, which shall include all of the following:
(b) (i) Submit proof Proof of the patient’s Michigan residency. For the purposes of this
subdivision paragraph, an applicant shall be considered to have proved legal residency in this
state if he or she provides the department with either of the following:
(i) (A) A copy of a valid, lawfully obtained Michigan driver license issued under the Michigan
vehicle code, 1949 PA 300, MCL 257.1 to 257.923, or an official state personal identification
card issued under 1972 PA 222, MCL 28.291 to 28.300. The department may waive this
requirement if the department is able to verify the applicant’s Michigan driver license or
personal identification card online through the department of state.
(ii) (B) A copy of a valid Michigan voter registration.

333.26423(m), signed by a licensed physician in the course of a bona fide
physician-patient relationship as defined in section 3(a) of the act, MCL 333.26423(a), and
is dated within 1 year of the date the application is received. If the qualifying patient is under
the age of 18, written certifications from 2 physicians are required. The physician shall include
the legal name and date of birth of the qualifying patient, the physician’s name as it
appears on his or her physician’s license, physician’s license number, mailing address, and
telephone number on the written certification.
(e) (iii) If the qualifying patient is under the age of 18, submit a declaration of person
responsible form.
(2) The department may require that an application and all required supporting
documentation or information be submitted online in a manner prescribed by the
department. An online application process that meets the requirements of the act meets the
requirements of this rule.

R 333.105 Declaration of person responsible form.
Rule 5. A declaration of person responsible form is required for any qualifying patient who is
under the age of 18. The form shall include all of the following:
(a) A statement that the qualifying patient's physicians has have explained to the patient and the
patient's parent or legal guardian the potential risks and benefits of the medical use of marihuana.
(b) Written Cconsent of the qualifying patient's parent or legal guardian to allow the qualifying
patient's medical use of marihuana.
© Written Cconsent of the qualifying patient's parent or legal guardian to serve as the patient's
primary caregiver and to control the acquisition, dosage, and frequency of use of the marihuana
by the patient.
(d) The qualifying patient’s parent or legal guardian shall provide proof of parentage or
legal guardianship by submitting a copy of a power of attorney or documentation issued by
a governmental entity.

R 333.109 Verification of information.
Rule 9. The department shall verify the information contained in an application and the
accompanying documentation, which may include, but is not limited to, the following:
(a) Contacting each an applicant or primary caregiver by telephone, e-mail, or by mail. If
proof of identity cannot be determined with reasonable reliability, the department may require
the production of additional identification materials.
(b) Contacting the parent or legal guardian of a qualifying patient who is under the age of 18.
© Verifying that a physician is licensed to practice in the state.
(d) Contacting the certifying physician directly by telephone, e-mail, or mail to confirm the
validity of the written certification.

R 333.111 Fees; patient refunds.
Rule 11. (1) The A qualifying patient shall pay a $60.00 fee for a new or renewal application.

(2) A primary caregiver shall pay a $25 processing fee each time the department is
required to secure the primary caregiver’s criminal conviction history and verify his or her
eligibility to be a registered primary caregiver. The processing fee applies to new
applications, renewal applications, and change forms that designate a primary caregiver.

(2) The application of a qualifying patient who fails to
submit the required fee or whose primary caregiver fails to
submit the required processing fee is considered incomplete and shall be denied.

(3) (4) The A registered qualifying patient or registered primary caregiver, as applicable,
shall pay a $10 fee for a revised or duplicate copy of the registration identification card for the
qualifying patient or the primary caregiver. If a duplicate card is requested, the
qualifying patient or primary caregiver shall submit the required fee with a
statement attesting to the loss or destruction of the card.
(5) A registered qualifying patient or registered primary caregiver, as applicable, shall
submit a $10 fee with the change form required in R 333.119.
(6) A registered qualifying patient or primary caregiver is not eligible for a refund if any
of the following occurs:
(a) The qualifying patient’s application is denied or the qualifying patient withdraws
from the registry program.
(b) The department has processed the application or change form and issued a registry
card to the patient or primary caregiver.
© The department determines the primary caregiver listed on the application or change
form is ineligible.

R 333.113 Registration approval; denial.
Rule 13. (1) Pursuant to section 6© of the act, MCL 333.26426©, the department shall
approve or deny an application within 15 business days of receiving a the original completed
application, and the requisite required fees, and required supporting documentation and
information.
(2) If an application is approved, within 5 business days of approving the application, the
department shall issue a registry identification card to the registered qualifying patient and the
registered primary caregiver, if applicable. For the purpose of this subrule, “issue” means the
department has printed the registry identification card and mailed it to the qualifying
patient and registered primary caregiver, if applicable. The registry identification card shall
include all of the following:
(a) The legal name, mailing address, and date of birth of the registered qualifying patient.
(b) If the registered qualifying patient has designated a primary caregiver, the legal name,
mailing address, and date of birth of the registered primary caregiver.
© The issue date and expiration date of the registry identification card.
(d) A random identification number.
(e) A clear designation showing whether the registered primary caregiver or the registered
qualifying patient will be authorized to possess marihuana plants for the registered qualifying
patient's medical use. The designation shall be determined based solely on the registered
qualifying patient's preference.
(3) When a registered qualifying patient has designated a primary caregiver, the department
shall issue a registry identification card to the registered primary caregiver. The registered
primary caregiver's registry identification card shall contain the information specified in subrule
(2) of this rule.
(4) If an application is denied, within 5 business days of denying the application, the
department shall mail the applicant a denial letter that states the reasons for denial. The
department shall deny an application for any of the following reasons:
(a) The applicant qualifying patient, did not provide the physician's written certification.
provided an incomplete application or incomplete supporting documents or information.
(b) The qualifying patient or caregiver, if applicable, did not submit the required fee.
(b) © The department determines that any information provided by the applicant qualifying
patient, primary caregiver, or physician was falsified, fraudulent, incomplete, or cannot be
verified.
© (d) An applicant fails to provide a physical address located in this state. This subdivision
shall not apply if the applicant is homeless. The qualifying patient designates a primary
caregiver on the application and the department determines the primary caregiver is
ineligible.
(d) (e) The applicant qualifying patient, primary caregiver, or physician, as applicable,
failed to meet the requirements of R 333.107. sign and date the application, caregiver
attestation, or written certification.
(f) The department was unable to verify the information provided.
(5) A qualifying patient whose application is denied
may reapply at any time by submitting a new application and the supporting documents
and information as specified in R 333.103. Any fee that a patient submits with an
application that is denied is valid for 2 years from the date the department received the fee
and may be used by the patient to reapply. This provision does not apply to processing fees
submitted by primary caregivers who the department has determined to be ineligible.

R 333.117 Biennial renewal; expiration of registry identification card; fee.
Rule 17. (1) Pursuant to section 6 (e) of the act, MCL 333.26426(e), a registry identification
card shall be renewed on a biennial basis to maintain active status as a registered qualifying
patient or a registered primary caregiver.
(2) A registry identification card shall expire on the first day of the month 2 years following
issuance of the card be valid for a period of 2 years.
(3) An applicant for renewal of a registry identification card shall submit an application and the
required supporting documents and information as provided in R 333.103 and R 333.105, as
applicable.
(4) If an applicant fails to comply with subrules (1) and (3) of this rule by the expiration date on
the registry identification card, the registry identification card shall be considered null and void
and of no further effect. The applicant may submit a new application to the department.
(5) An applicant may submit a renewal application up to 60 days before the expiration
date on the registry identification card. A registry card is not renewed unless the
department approves the renewal application prior to the expiration date of the registry
card.
(5) (6) The department shall verify the renewal application information in the same manner as
specified in R 333.109.

R 333.119 Changes in status; notifications; requirements.
Rule 19. (1) In order to update registry information for a qualifying patient or primary
caregiver, the After a registry card is issued and before the renewal period, a registered
qualifying patient, registered primary caregiver, or the registered qualifying patient's parent or
legal guardian, as applicable, is responsible for notifying the department of a change in may
submit a change form to the department to do any of the following:
(a) The Change the registered qualifying patient's name. Proof of change of name shall be
satisfied by submitting the documents required to prove residency as specified in R 333.103
or documents specified in subrule (3)(a) of this rule.
(b) The Change the registered qualifying patient's address.
© The registered qualifying patient's primary caregiver. Change the individual designated as
registered qualifying patient's primary caregiver, including removing or replacing the
current registered primary caregiver.
(d) The Change the registered qualifying patient's legal guardian. Proof of change of legal
guardian shall be satisfied by submitting documentation consistent with R 333.105(d).
(2) A registered primary caregiver may submit a change form to the department to do any
of the following:
(a) Change the registered primary caregiver's name. Proof of name change shall be
established by submitting a true copy of an official record, a certified marriage license,
divorce decree, or a legal name change document. A true copy is an exact copy of a
document with no alterations or changes.
(b) Change the registered primary caregiver's address.
© Terminate the registered primary caregiver’s status as a patient’s primary caregiver.
(3) Any changes made under subrule (1) or subrule (2) of this rule do not take effect until
the department has verified and processed the requested change or changes. Receipt of the
new registry card or cards will be notification that the changes have taken effect.
(4) If the department is notified by a registered qualifying patient that the removes or
replaces a registered primary caregiver for the patient has changed under subrule (1)© of this
rule, the department may shall notify the initial primary caregiver by certified mail at the
address of record that the caregiver's registry identification card is null and void and of no effect.
(4) (5) If a registered qualifying patient's certifying physician notifies the department in writing
that the patient has ceased to suffer from a debilitating medical condition, the department shall
notify the patient within 14 20 business days of receipt of the written notification that the
patient's registry identification card is null and void and of no effect. The registry card shall
become null and void upon notification by the department to the patient.
(6) Any notifications the department makes under subrules (4) and (5) of this rule are
subject to the confidentiality provisions in R 333.121 and section 6(h) of the act, MCL
333.26426(h).

R 333.121 Confidentiality. Rescinded.

they took out the confidentiality rule .... hmmmmm.

Rule 333.123 Complaints.
Rule 23. The department shall refer criminal complaints against a registered qualifying patient
or registered primary caregiver to the appropriate state or local authorities. This includes
instructing the individual making the complaint to contact the appropriate state or local
law enforcement authorities.

R 333.125 Revocation; nullification; notification.
Rule 25. 
(2) (1) A registry identification card that is later determined to be based on fraudulent
information is null and void and of no effect.
(4) (2) The department shall send written notice by certified mail to a registered qualifying
patient or the patient's registered primary caregiver of either of the following: intent to revoke
or nullify a registry card or cards. This subrule does not apply if a patient has requested
the nullification of his or her caregiver’s registry card or a registry card was issued by the
department due to an administrative error.
(3) The department shall send a final written notice to a registered qualifying patient or
the patient’s registered primary caregiver when a registry card or cards is revoked or
nullified.
(5) (4) The notice referenced described in subrule (4) (2) of this rule shall include the right to
request a contested case hearing. If the request for hearing is not filed with the department within
21 days from the date the notice was mailed by the department, the right to request a contested
case hearing shall be waived.

R 333.126 Withdrawal.
Rule 26. (1) A registered qualifying patient or registered primary caregiver may
voluntarily withdraw from the Michigan medical marihuana program.
(2) A registered qualifying patient or registered primary caregiver who chooses to
withdraw from the program shall submit written notice to the department stating he or she
no longer wishes to participate in the Michigan medical marihuana program. Upon
receiving confirmation from the department that his or her withdrawal has been processed,
the registered qualifying patient or registered primary caregiver shall destroy the registry
identification card.
(3) A registered qualifying patient or registered primary caregiver’s withdrawal from the
Michigan medical marihuana program will not result in the destruction of any confidential
records the department is required to maintain under section 6(h) of the act, MCL
333.26426(h).

R 333.127 Management of medical marihuana. Rescinded.

Rule 333.131 Review panel for reviewing petitions for additional medical conditions or
treatments; terms.
Rule 31. (1) The department shall appoint a panel of not more than 15 members to review
petitions to add medical conditions or treatments to the list of debilitating medical conditions
under R 333.101 (5) section 3(b) of the act, MCL 333.26423(b), and to address the palliative
and therapeutic benefits that use of medical marihuana will provide for the medical
condition or the treatment of the medical conditions. The panel shall meet at least twice
each year and shall review and make a recommendation to the department concerning any
petitions that have been submitted that meet the requirements of R 333.133(1).
(2) A majority of the panel members shall be licensed physicians, and the panel
shall provide recommendations to the department regarding whether the petitions should
be approved or denied.
(3) The members of the review panel shall be appointed for a term of 4 years. A member
of the panel shall not serve more than 2 terms and 1 partial term, consecutive or otherwise.
However, a panel member serving on the effective date of this rule may complete the term
to which the member was appointed.
(3) (4) The department shall provide staff support to the review panel to assist with the
scheduling of meetings, conference calls, dissemination of petition-related materials, and to
perform other administrative duties related to the performance of the panel's review.
(4) (5) A quorum majority of the review panel of those who are present at each meeting
shall concur with the recommendation in order to be considered an official recommendation of
the panel.

Rule 333.133 Petition to add qualifying diseases or medical conditions; review panel;
recommendations.
Rule 33. (1) The department shall accept a written petition on a form prescribed by the
department from any person requesting that a particular medical condition or treatment be
included in the list of debilitating medical conditions under R 333.101 section 3(b) of the act,
MCL 333.26423(b). The petition shall include current medical, empirical, and evidence-
based data, including both of the following:
(a) A summary of the evidence that the use of marihuana will provide palliative or
therapeutic benefit for the medical condition or a treatment of the medical condition.
(b) Articles published in peer-reviewed scientific journals reporting the results of research
on the effects of marihuana on the medical condition or treatment of the medical condition
and supporting why the medical condition should be added to the list of debilitating
medical conditions under section 3(b) of the act, MCL 333.26423(b).
(2) If the petition does not contain current medical, empirical,
and evidence-based data as described in subrule (1) of this rule, the department shall
return the petition to the petitioner as incomplete.
(3) Upon receipt of a petition that meets the
requirements in subrule (1) of this rule, the department shall do all of the following:
(a) Transmit the petition to the review panel.
(b) Give notice of a public hearing not less than 10 days before the date of the hearing.
© Accept comments on the petition for a period of 5 business days beginning on the date of the public hearing.
(4) After a public hearing, the department shall forward the petition and any public comments
made that were received during and after the hearing to the review panel for review discussion
and to vote on a recommendation to the department director. 
(5) Within 180 days of the date the petition is filed with the department, the department director
shall make a final determination on the petition. The approval or denial of the petition shall be
considered a final department action subject to judicial review under the act.
(6) If the petition is approved, the department shall create a document verifying the addition of
the new medical condition or treatment to the list of debilitating medical conditions identified
under section 3(b) of the act, MCL 333.26423(b). Until such time as these rules are
amended to officially recognize the medical condition as a qualifying debilitating medical
condition, the department shall develop a policy that allows the new medical condition to be used
as a qualifier for a registry identification card.

this is just a copy paste, i didnt get a chance to edit out all of  the strike-thru parts.

Edited by t-pain