Caregiver Costs Of Supplies

credfield

examples.  My basement was dusty and I went thru 1 - $100 and 2 - $200 carbon filters figuring that out.  Now I have an inline Phresh filter coming for $230 so the dust doesn't block the filter.  I think I took care of the dust though by mopping.  Before that I bought a 4 inch fan and hepa filter to feed air into the tent.

I realized my air filter in the tent cooling the lights and filtering the smell also pulls humid air from outside from venting the heat outside. Now I have to build a doghouse to house a 6in fan to take air from outside and pass it thru the lights to take the heat outside and if I dust shroom it that's another $100+.  In the winter I'll vent it back inside but this is something I didn't plan on.  I may have to add a co2 system since I'm trying to ac and maintain humidity levels and won't pull air when it's 80% humidity outside.  Every grow is specific in it's needs depending on what your working with

So you are saying that there are simply some people that cannot grow plants, or are they just giving up too soon? I am not sure I can be convinced that it is impossible for some. The plants really grow on their own, the grower just needs to learn not to harm the plants with their creativity.

No, they can learn they choose not to change their habits or pay good enough attention.  Not knowing the difference between a teaspoon and tablespoon can get someone over and over if they choose not to learn.  Or the if this is good more is better idea.  If people can't get over that they can't succeed.  Some people can't take direction and are always right even if they fail. If you fail 3-4 grows and can't afford the dispensaries prices you've wasted a lot of time and money and may not be able to go on.  Maybe one or 2 would be too much of a loss.  Some just want the advanced grower strains for their first grow, etc.   Many reasons people fail when they didn't have to.  Your right though.  Some just get hit with too many problems and give up.

now why would I do that in a public forum ?

my yields are just enough to supply the few patients that help me pay for my growing costs. Luckily none of my registry require any more than the Act mentioned.

btw-four $600 to replace bulbs would reflect 2 1k lights, 2 600 watt lights, both hid, both high end, and  10 t5 4 foot bulbs. mine are replaced when my meter says so, sometimes once  in a year, sometimes twice in the year .  I'm  lucky to get a couple ounces here and there. That factor alone would be relevant in any garden cost analysis.  

I agree that the equipment should be factored in, but it should be averaged over the lifespan of each piece. It can be done pretty easily if a cost breakdown per component could happen.

@grassmatch that information could help a lot if you would indicate your yields.

google is your friend. youtube has loads. Those were the sources many of us used, and you will not find an universal consensus. Books work great too. Amazon is at your fingertips. You are only limited by your imagination.

Edited by GregS

one day I bought a neat gizmo that meters output.

mine from amazon cost $19 delivered.  stupid growers change bulbs w/o reading output.

now, on the thread topic, cost to grow; presently i am aware of only one org that tracks grow costs: thc academy of southfield. thc academy does not track hydro--they don't teach hydro.  they only teach indoor soil-grow and they track a few graduates of each class and produce an annual summary---and give the info to grads of thc only.   for 2nd, 3rd and 4th year grads costs ranged from $180 per oz down to $65, and averaged $105.

they don't track 1st year grads.

Grads growing in colo had the $65 cost, and also had the lowest average cost per ounce=$75, vs michigan's average $105.  but also, grows in colo averaged 61 plants vs 17 plants in michigan.

thc's figures don't include labor.   capital costs are spread out over 3 years.  operating and capital costs are broken out separately.  

Edited by pic book

note:  my quibble with thc is that they do not allow a grower to list:

accounting and tax advice

advertising

crop insurance premiums

education costs (including from thc academy where tuition is from $600 to $3500).

legal expense

mileage

thc academy says they disallow those so they are comparing apples to apples. i say they compare grow-an-ounce costs and ignore the costs of being in business.

also, they don't break out any diff in cost per kilowatt hour for elect.

Edited by pic book

credfield:  if you take the thc academy one-week class and follow their indoor soil/strains/bulbs/room set-up, and grow using their method and calendar, your cost per oz in year 2 or 3 or 4 will fall between $65 and $180 per oz, not counting labor or certain costs thc disallows. 

credfield:  the academy will show you it is amazingly simple to grow an oz of weed of some certain strains when following directions hands-on and having the proper equipment.  it is for the rote of their system-for-dummies that people pay tuition. 

you will learn on your own what pains it is to manage costs.  

they don't show you anything on how to do the difficult to impossible:  manage patients and supply when pats come and go with no or short notice and plant numbers consequently roller-coaster.  they show grow, you have to learn biz for yourself---and that is what being a cg is about, and that is where high costs pop up, in the gearing up and slowing down-----not, not from equipment malfunction /replacement or capital expenditures. 

course, their grads end up in 16 states so they aren't geared to mi's specific needs of a cg---except to continually turn out usable high-quality product.

I've said it over and over, my costs are about $27 /oz (indoor)

The three biggest reductions in cost

1) Hydroponics

2) Vertical Lighting (for flower at least)

3) Self-mixing nutrients ($200-300 savings per month, a "right sized" grow room savings would be more like 50-100 bux per month)

Including everything consumable - not including equipment costs or genetics costs - which - at least if you can sell all the high quality product you make - you should return in 1-2 harvests at most. Does not include my labor, does not include my free construction expertise, does not include time spent accounting, does not include "opportunity cost" i.e. the cost of me throwing away my goods due to our laws. Does not include delivery expenses.  I count those as business/distribution costs outside of the realm of production - in accordance with standard (non MJ) industry practice. 

Edited by Guanotea1

After 3 years of growing seriously and making tons upon tons of mistakes, I think it is very wise for you to seek out this type of information and even direct help from those that have done this before.

I replace bulbs when they burn out. In the case of HPS's almost never mH maybe once a year. I replace floro bulbs when they start to visably dim, almost never. I've never replaced my cheap digital ballasts, and they've never failed (iPower).I use cheap $20-$30 bulbs, and blind testing has shown no practical difference in yield or in quality vs. Top end bulbs. Same goes for high-end vs. low end ballasts. Although I can never be sure, without actual controlled trials and lab testing. I can tell you for sure that a cheap, well worn, bulb is much mightier in the hands of someone that knows what they are doing than a brand new expensive bulb in the hands of an ill-informed novice.

$65 per oz in soil is a semi-reasonable number.

180 per oz after years of experience seems insane. What is the yield per 1K light in that case? 4 oz? To use our common, incorrect but easy to understand system, 0.5 Grams per watt is pretty much the lowest end of where any experienced grower should be operating. That translates to 11 oz per 600W, or about 18 oz per 1000W. Best case scenarios closer to 1 gpw, usually hydro, higher than that and you are the 1% and likely only growing production strains.

Consumable cost must also be very high. Expensive pre-mixed soil substrate, combined with expensive off-the-shelf "MJ-Specific" nutrient packages to blame for that?

And then of course electrical usage...

Bigger dehumidifiers are much more efficient than smaller ones, mini split AC's much more efficient than portables or even the best window bangers. These two things will amount to hundreds of dollars of savings each month in electrical usage esp during the summer.  I...simply... can not imagine paying even $80 per oz produced even if that accounts for biz costs - I'd go completely broke within months at my current level of overproduction/underselling.

look at dispensary prices in your area (weedmaps website)

take a few dollars off of those prices. thats usually what cgs are charging. i could be wrong.

let me put it this way, for $20 of seeds, $200 in fencing, $50 in water, you could grow 12 plants outdoors.

add in $30 for nutes.

lets say 6 pounds for 12 plants

$300 / 6lbs = $50 per lb

$3 / oz for outdoor.

theres a 'grow marijuana for cheap' book out there which details the lowest cost per oz indoor i think.

just depends on grow conditions and electricity costs etc.

almost impossible to refute or dispute these costs because not all people use the same amount of nutes, amendments, etc.  Some use more and get different quality of meds.

Some use less and get less. 

This topic has been so beat down that is comes down purely to the individuals style and budgets, space, amount of power they are running.. etc, etc.

The costs go across the board.

If being a pot grower is so hard and not profitable,why do it? Your choice. Man are you right.This subject has been beaten to a pulp :horse:  and the same people still complaining about how they are not paid enough. The fake caregiver stuff is on it's way out because they got all greedy....just like any other capitalist or corporation.  Tough luck. Soon most pts won't be able to afford the cost of a Dr.visit,200.00,fee to the State,100.00 for us that are not disabled. What a scam. LEGALIZE. Put the Courts,the Judges,the Cops and AG out of business. That is all they understand.....MONEY. I know I will never renew my card again.