Kindfolk Here!

howdy!

I'm new to this forum and would first like to thank the moderators and members for the all of the information available on this site

I am in the process of relocating to Michigan and look forward to being a legal cardholder and caregiver

I have been a med user and grower for years and years and have participated in various forums along the way

I have quite a bit to share when it comes to cultivation tips tricks helpful hints and encouragement but I am completely new to the legal cardholder/caregiver game and welcome any advice on the topic

I look forward to getting to know the members here and participating in the forums

kindfolk

Welcome, kindfolk!  Enjoy.

The first things that come to mind with regards to be a registered cardholder, is to maintain a copy of all paperwork submitted to LARA, and always use certified mail/return receipt.  Be prepared to exercise a great deal of patience when waiting for a change form to be processed.

peace

Not asking why you're moving to Michigan, but if it's for medical reasons and unless it's for a particular hospital's services, you may do well to consider another state, unless you have a lot of patience for the system we have that is "going through the ringer".  If not for the big family I married into, I would have likely moved years ago.  Not that I dislike Michigan, but it's not my home state, and I'm used to moving every three to five years.  It's a big world out there.  See as much of it as you can.  :)

So, you're a musician.  What instrument(s) do you play?

You will do well to get a cuppa coffee and spend some time reading:

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/%28S%281ehq5oz5kvqjif45d0lfliuu%29%29/mileg.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-Initiated-Law-1-of-2008

The entirety of our law is three pages, separated into ten sections, some of which are very short and of little consequence to your ends. You will want to pay close attention to sections 3, 4, 7, and 8.

Welcome nugget.

Edited by GregS

I play anything that makes noise

started on drums/percussion then guitar and vocals

now I'm learning piano and having fun with the virtual instruments in GarageBand on iPad :)

although I came of age during the 80s glam rock era I am more of a folkie/hippie type and tend to gravitate to acoustic music and I love to sit around the campfire with guitars and good friends and howl at the moon!

I'm hoping to find some like-minded musicians in the area when I get settled

as for the move to Michigan

the med mj didn't factor into the equation but definitely going to be a nice bonus

an friend of mine has property he is retiring to and had a run of bad luck and health issues and needed someone around to help him with things it just so happened that I was looking to make a move

it was simply good timing timing and the right opportunity

so here I come :)

Bay City is my old hometown. I thought I had to get out as a young guy, but when I did and found what was happening in other cities, I came to understand that it is a great town. If you play professionally, there are venues for that. It is a party town. Always has been.

I recommend Dr. Paul Meyer of Saginaw for consultation. He will adequately document and follow you.

thanks greg

I have been trying to find out what I can about things to do in the area

my buddy is a bit of a recluse and I'm quite the opposite

I'm comfortable meeting new folks and enjoy socializing

I'm a fan of the craft beers and love to go to festivals!

Bay City sounds like it might my kinda town!

I'm not really a "club" kinda guy and don't really do the Friday/Saturday night bar scene unless I'm playing music but I'm all about a good "happy hour"!

I appreciate the doctor suggestion as I will be needing a solid doc who is MJ friendly

my buddy has his card but his family doc wouldn't sign for it and he had to find another doc to do it

I think I would prefer to see 1 doc who I could count on for my basic medical needs

thanks greg

I have been trying to find out what I can about things to do in the area

my buddy is a bit of a recluse and I'm quite the opposite

I'm comfortable meeting new folks and enjoy socializing

I'm a fan of the craft beers and love to go to festivals!

Bay City sounds like it might my kinda town!

I'm not really a "club" kinda guy and don't really do the Friday/Saturday night bar scene unless I'm playing music but I'm all about a good "happy hour"!

I appreciate the doctor suggestion as I will be needing a solid doc who is MJ friendly

my buddy has his card but his family doc wouldn't sign for it and he had to find another doc to do it

I think I would prefer to see 1 doc who I could count on for my basic medical needs

Bay City knows all things beer. It is simple on a nice summer night to take off on foot and stop in at several local bars. They are nicely scattered through some neighborhoods, and happy hour is spoken at most, if not all, of them. Midland Street is a nuts to butts weekend party. Frankenmuth is not far and has a number of beer celebrations. I had been involved with a local craft brew club until my wife's and my own my medical issues became prohibitive. They have grrreat monthly meetings and put on frequent brew demonstrations at events. The club does not require that you brew yourself, but welcomes anyone who is looking for great suds. There are a lot of festivals and other community things going on alll summer, and you will not find a better fourth of July fireworks celebration anywhere. Many events happen on the water, and water sports are there for the taking. Winter sports, except skiing, are there too. You don't have to travel far to find places to board or ski if that is on your bucket list.

The only downside is that employment is difficult to find unless you are trained in a field, best in medicine. It used to be a factory town but that has almost entirely disappeared. There remain a few scattered job shops, but no major employers in manufacturing.

And again, Dr. Meyer will follow you as his regular patient. By all means consult with him and see if he is your kind of guy.

When will you make your move?

Edited by GregS

bay city sounds like a good time and I'm predicting that I will make some memories there!

my buddy has not ventured "that far" yet so I didn't realize it was such a happening place and now I'm intrigued!

where can I get an events calendar? do they have an "entertainment scene magazine" or the like?

I'm a big fan of Michigan beers! Founders and of course Bells as well as Dark Horse are a few of my favorites

I'm ready to try my hand at home brewing and would like to check out the beer club! thats got my name written all over it!

it's definitely going to be an adventure

I'm coming up the weekend of the 13th and 14th and we are planning a daytrip to bay city so I will be able to give you my first impression soon enough :)

This is the town newspaper for starters. Scroll down the menu at the top left and select entertainment. When you get close to town please let me know.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCIQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mlive.com%2Fbay-city%2F&ei=ZNOPU-jcJYSMyASXsYKYAw&usg=AFQjCNEzgmEfxZMx5v92j2Ql5SeZV_GIYQ&sig2=y22PLT7gEOP2ldzvStB4lA&bvm=bv.68235269,d.aWw

Beck's Dark is a favorite and I buy Sam Adams unless I can find Sierra Nevada. I still have all of my brewing equipment and have been making noise about finding someone to help me use it. My back and shoulders are totaled. I can bottle it or keg it, and always enjoyed having it on tap at home, and am more than happy to share the wealth.

Edited by GregS

HA!

Yes I am well aware of the botanical relationship between hops and mj

it is no coincidence that artists and musicians tend to gravitate towards hoppy beers ;)

I definitely consider myself a "hophead"

IPA's are my favorite beers and Sierra Nevada Torpedo is my go to brew

I have a keeper from a run of Cali-0 x Blueberry that is a citrus delight and I have often thought about dry hopping with it :)

since you have the equipment and experience and I have the desire to learn maybe we can work out a collaborative effort ;)

thanks for the Bay City events links

I'm looking to check out Kenny Loggins and Eddie Money as well as both the pink Floyd tribute and the Led Zeppelin tribute

I love hearing about the doctor walking in to see a patient with a guitar hopefully he is excepting new patients as I will probably get along with him :)

thanks again for referring me to him

MEAD from Tupelo Honey is so tasty.

And it can be some powerful stuff. It makes for the most horrid hangover, but we have the cure. I served a mead one year at Thanksgiving. Most everyone was pretty impressed. It was made with locally raised honey in Cridersville, Ohio and a fruit drink concentrate I used to sell off a Schwan's truck that they no longer carry, but I expect a workable substitute can be readily enough found. Even without the stuff it's great. mmmmm. Sierra Nevada American Ale blew my skirt. I haven't been able to find it for the last couple of years, but haven't been able to get out enough either. Sam Adams mixes things up nicely seasonally to make things interesting, and I am not far from a couple of very nice fine casual brew restaurants. I find Guinness to be a little overrated, and I hate that they put that floaty thing in the bottles reducing the volume. Microbrews largely disappeared off store shelves when the economy tanked this last time and variety could certainly be better. All the more reason to whoop it up with friends and make your own. The boys and girls in the club offer many pleasant surprises.

Where will you reside kindfolk?

Edited by GregS

MEAD from Tupelo Honey is so tasty.

Tupelo Honey???

I know that it is one of my favorite Van Morrison songs but is this a brand or simply a type of honey? I have yet to see mead for sale...

can you buy it and are there certain brands that I should be looking for?

I recently tried mead for the first time and was impressed with the complexity as well as the potency and I look forward to learning a bit more about it and sampling some different recipes

maybe eventually making some myself

as much as I enjoy the different flavors and effects of alcoholic beverages, I have learned that moderation seems to work best for me and I don't overindulge very often these days :)

Edited by kindfolk

Sierra Nevada American Ale blew my skirt. I haven't been able to find it for the last couple of years, but haven't been able to get out enough either. Sam Adams mixes things up nicely seasonally to make things interesting, and I am not far from a couple of very nice fine casual brew restaurants. I find Guinness to be a little overrated, and I hate that they put that floaty thing in the bottles reducing the volume. Microbrews largely disappeared off store shelves when the economy tanked this last time and variety could certainly be better. All the more reason to whoop it up with friends and make your own. The boys and girls in the club offer many pleasant surprises.

Where will you reside kindfolk?

Well that is interesting to hear about the craft beers disappearing...

in Cincinnati they have quadrupled (at least) in the last 5 years

even the grocery stores have a decent selection these days

I am all about variety, quality and freshness so I am going to have to find a good beer store when I get there!

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is my standard

I can deal with Blue Moon and Sam Adams but anything below that is the equivalent of smoking brick weed for this beer snob

I will definitely stock up and come prepared when I head that way next weekend :)

and I think Gladwin is the closest town to where I will be residing