Kindfolk Here!

while I often run into stressed out or just uptight folks who I believe could benefit from the relaxing effects of moderate alcohol use, I also understand that it is not for everyone

the potential for abuse is obvious due to its availability and legality and I tend to believe that there is genetic aspect to consider as well

I have family members who seem to have the 'gene' and simply cannot sit down and have a couple of beers but instead tend to drink until they pass out or the beers gone whichever comes first

and while they are able to function in society and as far as going to work and paying their bills there are obvious negative effects on their relationships and physical health

so I don't push my agenda too hard although I will say if you are only going to drink one beer a month do yourself a favor and drink something other than Coors :P

It's only that Coor's Gold relates to a special time of life.  The infrequent consumption started a long time ago when a Doctor told me that a particular pharmaceutical had the potential of being hard on the liver, and alcohol would likely compound the possible effect.  No more pounding a pitcher with the guys at the enlisted club a few times a week.  Now that I no longer take pain pills (although my doc asks every visit if I want some), if by chance we ever meet, I'd be honored if yourself or Greg introduce me to a quality brew. 

Cheers!

It's only that Coor's Gold relates to a special time of my life...if by chance we ever meet, I'd be honored if yourself or Greg introduce me to a quality brew.

Cheers!

that is interesting and I get it

I would think it has to do with the smells and flavors and their relationship to memories

I have found that a lot of people feel the same way about music in that they are not necessarily connoisseurs of music but rather what they like was what they listened to at a time in their life when things were good for them

very often folks stick with what was popular during their high school or college years in an effort to relive those memories

I have had the pleasure of meeting up with and befriending quite a few folks that I met on message boards over the years

although I am new here, I plan to stick around so maybe we will have the opportunity to get together and enjoy that beer sometime :)

One of our pals is a brewmeister. Thats how I got to try mead. The Gorilla is right,that stuff will knock you like moonshine.....It is a tasty sipping drink,reminded me a little of a desert sherry. He had a couple different blends. I knew about wine,but had no idea that beer is also unique in it's blends of hops. It even smells different,like wines do. But I can only drink a little bit because of my guts. That turned out to be the reason I stopped drinking..............plus I was a drunk.

Well cheapshades, like I said, Beck's Dark is a favorite full bodied and malty beverage. The hop profile and results are not as pronounced as are, say, a pale ale and certainly not as an Imperial Pale Ale. If Pete's Wicked Ale is still around I would not hesitate to recommend that. Even Sam Adams Boston Lager is a good choice and it is readily available, and they have a nice very drinkable summer ale out right now. You will find that hops provide the bitter to balance the sweetness of the malt sugar, along with floral and citrusy characteristics that vary much like different strains of cannabis do from each other. Styles are as many and varied as wine, ty jointedone. If you like to sip only occasionally, Porters and Stouts are nice. I find Scotch ales marvelous. Enjoy.

So I'm a beer geek, and I like that.

Edited by GregS

Once again have reached my quota of "likes" for today, dagnabit.  

I did get a six-pack of Sam Adams Boston Lager a few months ago and it was quite good.   :)

You're on your way friend. I found Sam Adams Cherry Chocolate Bock an excellent sipping beer. It was available through the holidays in variety packs, and I look forward to it again.

Ya know, Sam Adams does a very good job with all their products. I've never complained about quality or value, and certainly not the available variety.

Kindfolk all I can say is I spent a few hrs in the shade medicating with greg and my face hurt for at least a week, he is good people, I can only imagine doing the bay city thing with him lol.

If you get cbs out of flint, where you are moving to, bay city is always on the news for their good things, they have all kind of cool events, I would like to go see the big ships one day there, im prob an hr north of bay city and yea its a nice place!

welcome to the mitten!

Peace

This guy makes mead from different kinds of honey. Clover honey has a stronger honey taste. Orange blossom  honey is milder and slightly fruity. He has his own bees.

Wow, I have known a couple of beekeepers near here, but they are long passed away. They worked with the apple orchards in the County. I like this guy already. Brewing is a much more involved hobby than some might think. The benefits are obvious. I miss it, along with cooking, especially outdoors and generally playing with my food. I used to make sausage, Canadian style bacon with loins, and was constantly making jerky. At one point I had the notion that I'd like to own and operate a meat market and specialize in processed meats. Again, my health got in the way of that. I still enjoy food and drink, but it has lost some of its appeal because of the limitations. My own cooking has always been my favorite.

Tupalo is a tree the honey is made from.  My friend is a beekeeper.  My favorite is the spring raspberry honey from around my place in NY.  Second is the basswood honey that has a minty licorice type flavor. 

I can start drinking again, maybe I'll start brewing too.  I made some beer that was dry hopped with a bud each in a six pack.  Can't remember the style I brewed but remember it was some of the best I've brewed to date.  I learned out in Washington State when I was on the way to a birding job in Oregon.  Came back to Ny and entered the upstate NY brewers assoc. contest and placed second in the English Ale category.  Scottish ales were some of my favorites.  Dry hopped is great but too much hops gets to me now.  I still love it but can't have more than one before I need something more clean on the palate.

Sam Adams Boston is one of the best summer beers.  So fresh and crisp, my favorite.  I love that the breweries around Mi have testers.  You can get 6 or more varieties and still have only 2 beers worth.

Man I'm thirsty now and it's wayyy too early :)

Edited by Norby

Sam Adams Boston is one of the best summer beers.  So fresh and crisp, my favorite.  I love that the breweries around Mi have testers.  You can get 6 or more varieties and still have only 2 beers worth.

Man I'm thirsty now and it's wayyy too early :)

I picked up one of their summer variety packs yesterday. There are a couple that look pretty interesting.

tick tock

Greg you are right. All the orchards out here have beekeepers and lots of hives. I wonder if you could make a mead from peach blossoms or cherry blossoms. But I do know that last year there was a bee disease that killed off a lot of the honeybees. Now there is a bat disease,a fungus that makes their noses look white. It's spreading all over the State and affecting every species of bat in Michigan. I have noticed less bats and a lot more viscious skeeters. One of the bigger orchards is now making a hard cider,I don't know what kind of apples,or if it is a blend.Guess I better check that out. The only thing is that cider is not pasturized,  so if you have immune issues you probably shouldn't drink it. In the garden today cutting Peonies,I was getting torn up bad by those lousy skeeters.  DANG. You guys should smell these peonies. Each one has a different smell,most hybreds today have no smell at all. Just like you guys smell your plants,I do too,lol.

ok, breakfast done and the dog walked.  Decisions, decisions.  Sundog Amber, Founders dry hopped pale ale or Arcadia's Anglers Ale?  Caramel malt and toasted barley, sounds like a Scottish ale ingredients. Looks like Sundog wins. :)

Yay

When you get right down to it Norby, there is no way you could have made a bad decision. I am intrigued with the Sundog. I looked for a Scotch Ale yesterday and could find nothing on the shelf.

Greg you are right. All the orchards out here have beekeepers and lots of hives. I wonder if you could make a mead from peach blossoms or cherry blossoms. But I do know that last year there was a bee disease that killed off a lot of the honeybees. Now there is a bat disease,a fungus that makes their noses look white. It's spreading all over the State and affecting every species of bat in Michigan. I have noticed less bats and a lot more viscious skeeters. One of the bigger orchards is now making a hard cider,I don't know what kind of apples,or if it is a blend.Guess I better check that out. The only thing is that cider is not pasturized,  so if you have immune issues you probably shouldn't drink it. In the garden today cutting Peonies,I was getting torn up bad by those lousy skeeters.  DANG. You guys should smell these peonies. Each one has a different smell,most hybreds today have no smell at all. Just like you guys smell your plants,I do too,lol.

Absolutely. Mead can be made with any kind of honey. It's like cannabis. It's allll good.This is the first I've heard of the fungal bats, but I found this on the bees: "...in a first-of-its-kind study published today in the journal PLOS ONE, scientists at the University of Maryland and the US Department of Agriculture have identified a witch’s brew of pesticides and fungicides contaminating pollen that bees collect to feed their hives. The findings break new ground on why large numbers of bees are dying though they do not identify the specific cause of CCD, where an entire beehive dies at once."

You can pasteurize cider yourself by heating it to 120-130 degrees and keeping it there for about 20 minutes, which is what is done to commercially pasteurize many products. Dunno what I'd do without cider and caramel vodka and spiced rum with a little cinnamon at Halloween. I would think the vodka would help to further sterilize the stuff. I really like the smell of spring and desperately miss trout fishing at this time of year along with a tasty brew by the fire. My wife has allergies on top of respiratory failure so I keep the house closed and the air filtered for her. Sqeedoes have been and always will be among the most vile creatures on earth.

Edited by GregS

BLECCH!!! Stay away from Sam Adam's Blueberry Hill. It is the first style they make that I have found undrinkable. I will use it on my steaks 'n chicken on the grill, but won't be buying it again. Fortunately there are only two bottles in the twelve pack.

Edited by GregS

• 2 weeks later...

I spent the past weekend in Michigan and had a great time!

went to Bay City Friday afternoon and had lunch at River Rock cafe where the walls were covered with concert posters that definitely contributed to the alternative vibe

cool mom and pops kinda place with a decent craft beer selection and way above average bar food!

I had the walleye lunch special which was fantastic and my buddy had what he said was the best bowl of chicken noodle soup he has eaten in years

I had a cappuccino Stout from a brewery I had never heard of and a familiar Bell's two hearted ale

we tried to check out a couple of compassion clubs but were informed they had been shut down...

I enjoyed the feel of bay city and will definitely be going back for a pub crawl to check out more of what it has to offer and as far as entertainment goes!

I spent the past weekend in Michigan and had a great time!

went to Bay City Friday afternoon and had lunch at River Rock cafe where the walls were covered with concert posters that definitely contributed to the alternative vibe

cool mom and pops kinda place with a decent craft beer selection and way above average bar food!

I had the walleye lunch special which was fantastic and my buddy had what he said was the best bowl of chicken noodle soup he has eaten in years

I had a cappuccino Stout from a brewery I had never heard of and a familiar Bell's two hearted ale

we tried to check out a couple of compassion clubs but were informed they had been shut down...

I enjoyed the feel of bay city and will definitely be going back for a pub crawl to check out more of what it has to offer and as far as entertainment goes!

You haven't begun to scratch the surface young Jedi. River City has been a hard partying town since Michigan's lumbering heyday and never got away from it. 

What a great tradition.