Christian Conservatives Should Favor Pot Legalization

http://www.mlive.com/lansing-news/index.ssf/2014/06/ken_braun_the_ideology_and_the.html

A Detroit News poll last week showed a slight majority of likely Michigan voters (52.1 percent) still opposes legalizing the possession of marijuana for personal consumption. If true, then Michigan is lagging the nation. A Pew Research Center survey last month revealed support for banning pot nationwide had fallen to 42 percent, down sharply from 52 percent just four years earlier and 60 percent in 2008.

The Detroit News poll may have an accuracy problem. A Michigan ballot initiative proposing to legalize marijuana for medical users in 2008 won with 63 percent and 3 million “yes” votes. Successful measures such as this in other states, and voter-approved legalization in Colorado and Washington, are part of a strong national trend in favor of pot legalization shown by the Pew polling. It seems unlikely the opinion of Michigan voters has regressed so far back toward banning the weed.

But if it has, then the Detroit News poll also shows why. Of those who self-identified as “strong Republican” voters, an astounding 70.6 percent oppose legalization. No other political subset is remotely close: Opposition among those who “lean Republican” was only 53.2 percent, barely more than the average of all voters.

The so-called “religious right” is a likely driver of this opposition.

article has 700 comments on it, far more than any other mlive marijuana article i've seen ...

must have hit some interesting parts of the 'net where they like to comment.

When I had to ride the Senior Bus last winter,everybody including the driver was older than me.(HOLY CRAP) Anyways,I had a chance to ask what older people thought about MMJ. OMG. They were all for it. Rode that dumb bus for 21 days until my treatment was over. I gave one wild old lady one of my candies that I carry with me. Everyday for 21 days,is she was on that bus with me,she wanted the candies. I told her I couldn't give them to her,she said FECK the law and wanted me to help her get her card!I told her I didn't make the candies myself and then she wanted to get her card. No old people give a crap. They just wanna have fun. And I AM old but still younger than the rest of the riders. All of them wanted the candies. Now theres a big market of oldsters that are smart enough to know that the medications they are being force fed from their Drs are so that Dr can take advantage of Medicare. If you are ever in a group of old people,ask them what they think of MMJ. They all want it legalized in any form. Oh,and don't argue with one of those old folks. They can kick yer arse.....................................

When I had to ride the Senior Bus last winter,everybody including the driver was older than me.(HOLY CRAP) Anyways,I had a chance to ask what older people thought about MMJ. OMG. They were all for it. Rode that dumb bus for 21 days until my treatment was over. I gave one wild old lady one of my candies that I carry with me. Everyday for 21 days,is she was on that bus with me,she wanted the candies. I told her I couldn't give them to her,she said FECK the law and wanted me to help her get her card!I told her I didn't make the candies myself and then she wanted to get her card. No old people give a crap. They just wanna have fun. And I AM old but still younger than the rest of the riders. All of them wanted the candies. Now theres a big market of oldsters that are smart enough to know that the medications they are being force fed from their Drs are so that Dr can take advantage of Medicare. If you are ever in a group of old people,ask them what they think of MMJ. They all want it legalized in any form. Oh,and don't argue with one of those old folks. They can kick yer arse.....................................

Reading things like that is the coolest way to start my day.

Not exactly an overly religious person myself, but was watching a segment on the 700 club about overcriminalization & the harms to everyday decent people. Its not much, but there seems to be a growung realization that our gov't has run amok. Perhaps mj can piggyback on that sentiment, sharing some common ground w the religious right.

pat robertson, host of the 700 club backs legalizing marijuana

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/08/us/pat-robertson-backs-legalizing-marijuana.html?_r=0

legalizing marijuana is really the better choice vs the drug war in all respects.

no one even tries to defend the drug war anymore. you notice they dont even want to call it a drug war??

like not calling it a war will hide the casualties or something?

no, you cant hide the dead veterans, the dead policemen, the baby scarred for life because some swat team donkey rectum threw a flash bang grenade into the babys crib.

the drug war exists and it is one of the worst wars we've ever had.

Something else to be said for that regards senior participation in politics. I worked for the Bay County Council on Aging as my first job after high school. Groups of seniors would ride in buses to Lansing to address their concerns and contact with D.C. was just what they did. These folks have the time, being largely retired, and long life experience to understand how things work. I have seen Snyder making overtures to them, and Schuette the same. We are not only active, but a substantial voting block, and especially now when we boomers are coming to that stage in our lives. We grew up with cannabis and know the comfort it can bring to our lives, and we are a  huuge demographic and voting bloc.

Edited by GregS

Gorilla,I converted every old person on that bus. All they wanted was the freedom to CHOOSE alternative therapies. But of course medicare does not cover and holistic medical treatments. I have a 94 year old FIL that is dying. With family and friends,we take care of him so he can maybe have his wish of dying in his own bed,not in a hospital on a vent. He has melanoma. Those darn Drs know full well this is a fatal disease.I went nutty on one of them because he kept telling Gramps he had to go every week for blood work. Lying scumbag,even Gramps caught on to that one. He old,not STUPID. He does not want chemo,or radiation. We all die. He is dying,COPD,kidneys shutting down,but he has no pain. This is what dying does,your body is worn out,he is not afraid or worried about it.When I ask him how is he feeling,he is still a smart donkey and says "I don't know,I've never been 94!" We will do everything to respect his wishes. As a WWII Vet and as a man,he deserves this. We all do.