Do You Dry Inside Of Your Grow Room ?

trichcycler

I'm intrigued with the idea.

my garden is snug inside an outbuilding, triple wrapped, foil bubble foil, light tight, and sealed. excellent atmospheric controls. C02 augmented, no sprays, no bugs. My current dry room is located inside my home though, and the room, a walk in tent inside a large closet, is also controlled hum/temp/air exchange. No problems ever in either room.   Now, because of Zap, I want to dry in my grow room, inside a ventilated tent. Then, all of my activity except use, packing, etc ,will be separated from my home.  I began trimming in there instead of in my home last year, and glad.

I wonder of the legal end of this total separation, even power meters,  but the other obvious issues would be solved too.

Yes,

I dry Inside my locked grow area, outside my grow room's light/air curtain. The dry area is a small tent, can fan, small stink sock, lined with rope for hanging bits of plant. Never an issue for years. Harvest table, dry tent, flower room, all in a single area. Temp inside the grow room never over 82, outside the grow room never over 77. Easy, because it's subterranean. Might be more difficult in your case to regulate temp - especially if your flower room is kept at 85F ~45-55% rH... ideally the dry room should be a little cooler.

I'm concerned with possible off smells. I've sampled dispensary meds and others that was like  mouth full of swamp/basement/dirt etc. I've got plants at all different stages of finish in the flower room, not just sweet buds. Some are 18 inches tall with zero flowers in fresh dirt, others are 5 feet tall with lots of nugs. I've never detected off smells/flavor with this type of growing, however drying may be a different animal.

I've sampled some herb from a couple dispensaries and from other patients that were like a mouth full of fertilizer/dirt/basement/pissy pocket flavor/smell and that turned me off to any but near sterile drying. There are tutorials that strongly suggest drying in a non growing controlled area, and others that have no issue. I'm so confused, I'm going to dry one plant out there and see what happens.

This is a good idea, when you don't mind gpw struggling to rise to 1.0  By all means, keep inefficiency in the loop at all times.  After all, efficiency is not economically goood (or necessary) until we cease being a cottage industry and have a free market in cannabis and it's, ho hum,  just another commodity, fungible with every other commercially grown batch of dahlias.  Didn't Walt Whitman write an ode to inefficiency?  Wasn't it called The Plebian Leaves of Grass?

how will drying in a grow room struggle the attempt to rise above a gram per watt ?  I don't understand, although I appreciate the Whitman reference.

This is a good idea, when you don't mind gpw struggling to rise to 1.0  By all means, keep inefficiency in the loop at all times.  After all, efficiency is not economically goood (or necessary) until we cease being a cottage industry and have a free market in cannabis and it's, ho hum,  just another commodity, fungible with every other commercially grown batch of dahlias.  Didn't Walt Whitman write an ode to inefficiency?  Wasn't it called The Plebian Leaves of Grass?

I dont dry in my g.r, I only have one room in my basement, the room was 18 x18 I built a wall down the middle now my g,r is 9 x18 lite tite and air tite, the other half of the room is my office/mancave with a window and normal to most folks basement finished rooms, I have a locked door to get inside of my man cave and another locked door to get into my g,r, so if im in my  man cave with the door open there is still another locked door to go thru to get to my grow, I have 2 tents in the grow room, one for budd and one for veg with plenty of room for clones or seedlings, I never plan on having a large grow, (one of the bennifits of being a pt/c.g with a c.g) I prefer to dry my plants at a slower rate than I have gotten from drying inside the g.r, and that is pretty much all there is to it for me, No one goes into my man cave but me, sometimes I leave the door open, If I have no plants hanging, but to be honest im not realy worried about any one catching me in my man cave with plants hanging, when I have plants hanging in there I lock that door also!

I realy see no benifit to drying on a net in the g.r other than to dry it quicker so you can deliver it quicker! and I can most def tell the dif between my drying and curing techiniqe than my c.g's, he is most def a better grower than me, but not a better dryer and curer! most growers in my area dont flush their plants out at the end of grow either, and I can realy taiste the dif, but also I water with nutes for 2 waterings and than just pure ph'd water for one the whole life of the budd cycle, I have found it to be a good way to keep my ppm's in a good range and also my ph,

so no I dont dry in my G.R but where I dry is in the other half of the room and it is cooler and is all still in the same place as my room w/o the heat of the grow room.

I honestly have absolutly nothing to worry about as far as smell goes where I live,

but grassmatch I smell you stink! :yahoo-wave:

Peace

mouth full of fertilizer/dirt/basement/pissy pocket flavor/smell

This came from overfertilization, overly quick drying (low RH, high temps, fans blowing over buds), overly slow drying (high RH, low temps, crowded buds, and especially when wet buds are smashed into unclean jars). You need to keep your dry area clean and well controlled in terms of temperature, humidity, and cleanliness regardless of the location. I think we are better off making decisions based on what we can measure, and Cervantes already gives you a good guide for the factors that make for a good dry area temp, rH, very moderate airflow, and lack of light. Just follow those. 

You can't say that a basement dry would give a basement flavor/smell because not every subterranean grow is maintained like an old wet celler. True enough, basements are more subject to high rh, low temps, mold, water intrusion, naturally, but good growers take the necessary steps to mitigate all the above problems. For me that meant mortar work, insulation foam, stone sealants, dehumidifer with drain hookup, and correcting the slope on my property to drain water away from the basement. 

In my case my airflow is largely seperate grow room to dry tent - although they are located feet away from eachother, I maintain a different temperature and humidity in the dry area. My grow area is maintained with 1500PPM CO2, 82 degrees, and 50% rH and my dry area is 65-77F 45-50% rH.

i  dry my bud in the grow room....after the harvest...shut the lights off and hang the plants...keep the exhaust fan on low just to keep some air flow.....everything stays in the locked room....when its ready i paper bag it and from there it goes into jars...then i vacuum pack it in mason jars...zp

in a vert grow every inch matters, any inch used for another purpose still counts in gpw calcs and impedes efficiency.

yeah, in business, I guess. but in a hobby, who gives a chit about grams per watt really.

please explain how the size of the room is counted in gpw calcs ?

Edited by grassmatch

mouth full of fertilizer/dirt/basement/pissy pocket flavor/smell

This came from overfertilization, overly quick drying (low RH, high temps, fans blowing over buds), overly slow drying (high RH, low temps, crowded buds, and especially when wet buds are smashed into unclean jars). You need to keep your dry area clean and well controlled in terms of temperature, humidity, and cleanliness regardless of the location. I think we are better off making decisions based on what we can measure, and Cervantes already gives you a good guide for the factors that make for a good dry area temp, rH, very moderate airflow, and lack of light. Just follow those. 

You can't say that a basement dry would give a basement flavor/smell because not every subterranean grow is maintained like an old wet celler. True enough, basements are more subject to high rh, low temps, mold, water intrusion, naturally, but good growers take the necessary steps to mitigate all the above problems. For me that meant mortar work, insulation foam, stone sealants, dehumidifer with drain hookup, and correcting the slope on my property to drain water away from the basement. 

In my case my airflow is largely seperate grow room to dry tent - although they are located feet away from eachother, I maintain a different temperature and humidity in the dry area. My grow area is maintained with 1500PPM CO2, 82 degrees, and 50% rH and my dry area is 65-77F 45-50% rH.

now now, I wasn't picking on basement grows at all.

I never tasted those all at the same time either.

I assure all that my controlled drying room smells much different than my controlled flowering room. I would hate to detect an off flavor because of that. we'll see though.   I could control the atmosphere in the tent, but the room and tent will share the air still. Maybe a HEPA intake filter would do the trick, or at least make me feel better.....

Its the off flavors/smells coming from a grow room that I was concerned about.

I knew you weren't picking on basement grows. I knew what you meant by basement smell basically that old wet cellar smell that is common in poorly controlled basement atmospheres. I'm just sayin', no need for basement grows to smell that way even though they often do.

In my case I've got 2 10" carbon filters inside my grow room which has a light/air curtain (mylar). Outside the grow containment area there is very little of the funky grow room smell, and in that outside area, there is my dry tent. Inside my grow room the temp/rh is controlled directly by mechanical means but outside the temperature is maintained by the magic of being between a source that's always too hot (grow room) and a source that's always cold (underground). BUT you will be between a source that's too hot (grow room) and a source that's too hot (grow room). 

Suck air from a low point in the grow room, check the temp/rh values to see if in range. A laser thermometer would work there too. If you are still in good shape, which I doubt, then you could go about with a small test to see if using grow room air has a negative impact on your product. You are a man of refined tastes yes? where others may notice no difference you may... and for all I know it could be for the positive as taste is subjective... so I don't think anyone will be able to fully answer your question.

Edited by Guanotea1

I knew you weren't picking on basement grows. I knew what you meant by basement smell basically that old wet cellar smell that is common in poorly controlled basement atmospheres. I'm just sayin', no need for basement grows to smell that way even though they often do.

In my case I've got 2 10" carbon filters inside my grow room which has a light/air curtain (mylar). Outside the grow containment area there is very little of the funky grow room smell, and in that outside area, there is my dry tent. Inside my grow room the temp/rh is controlled directly by mechanical means but outside the temperature is maintained by the magic of being between a source that's always too hot (grow room) and a source that's always cold (underground). BUT you will be between a source that's too hot (grow room) and a source that's too hot (grow room). 

Suck air from a low point in the grow room, check the temp/rh values to see if in range. A laser thermometer would work there too. If you are still in good shape, which I doubt, then you could go about with a small test to see if using grow room air has a negative impact on your product. You are a man of refined tastes yes? where others may notice no difference you may... and for all I know it could be for the positive as taste is subjective... so I don't think anyone will be able to fully answer your question.

interesting, I have done this, and chose a sealed room, as you did?  I think I saw.

It's fair to say a negative smell in the grow room could affect the end result of the product, dried wherever. I've grown outdoors now, outdoor ventilated grow room, in a half dozen tents inside my home office, in a greenhouse also, and I prefer the sealed controlled scrubbed room, cept for the fuel to operate it of course.

I've dried a dozen different types of herbs year round, 50-100 pounds of them ...NO not cannabis, but food herbs, like thyme, basil, rosemary and have tried lots of different places. none beat the dry room I use for cannabis, so far. But I'll cut one soon and at least dry a branch in the grow room, and in a ventilated filtered tent in the grow room. Once those food herbs are turned into oil I cant tell the difference, but there must be one if its noticed in the leafy material I think.