Review: Az Medical Marijuana Act Ce Class

found that the arizona dept of health has made an online continuing education class with the univ of arizona. so i figure i should do the online class and see if i learn anything useful.

http://www.azdhs.gov/medicalmarijuana/physicians/

the signup and class are free btw, if you want to take it. although it focuses more on the arizona law than mmj.

lessons are basically junk. if you've ever seen any continuing education for health care professionals (doctors, nurses, pharmacists etc) , you know they are heavily lacking in any teeth at all and are basically 3rd grader skill level. read one paragraph, answer a few simple questions. if you havent seen continuing education materials, you should check out a few. ask your doctor for some of his/her old lessons.

i say this because an amount of CE is required for health professionals each year in michigan, including 10 hours of live CE, which amounts to a person reading out loud the simple paragraphs to large crowds of health professionals who spend hundreds of dollars for this pleasure. so the CE system has been gamed, is setup to be a waste of time, has no practical benefit and was probably lobbied into law by the people running the CE programs. i feel the need to speak out against corruption whenever i see it. also as a patient, you may want to know how useful or up to date your doctors education actually is.

this stood out to me a little.

Lessons / ▶ Module #3 - Marijuana 101: The medicinal uses & risks of marijuana

All information taken from the Institute of Medicine (IOM) 2000 report entitled Marijuana as Medicine: The Science Beyond the Controversy & 1999 book entitled Marijuana and Medicine: Assessing the Science Base. Additionally the Arizona Revised Statutes and Arizona Administrative Rule informed the discussion.

outdated education is nothing new. but why teach from a 14 year old report and a 15 year old book?

Routes of administration- the flower/bud can be,
Smoked as a cigarette, cigar or in a pipe
Mixed with foods
Brewed as a tea

no mention of vaporization

Marijuana withdrawal symptoms:
Mild and short-lived (a couple of days):
Restlessness
Irritability
Mild agitation
Insomnia
Sleep EEG disturbances
Nausea
Cramping
Decreased appetite

cant say i've had any of that. of course i also havent been hooked up to an eeg while sleeping.

Institute of Medicine statement
“…this step should be seen for what it is—a last resort. Clinical evidence shows that existing treatments for pain, nausea, and malnutrition outperform marijuana in the vast majority of patients. To substitute marijuana for a more effective drug is to practice bad medicine.”
(2000, IOM, p. 104)

existing treatments? prescriptions kill, marijuana does not.

to practice killing patients is to practice bad medicine and whoever wrote this is an idiot.

it is not so easy to fine-tune the dose of oral medication….pharmaceutical companies are investigating…smokeless inhalers and nasal sprays to deliver THC.” (p. 12)

14 years after the report, there is still no marinol spray or inhaler.

Health risks associated with marijuana use:

Long-term

•Withdrawal symptom
•Headache, shakiness, sweating, & stomach pains

you can get long term headaches, shakiness, sweating and stomache pains from marijuana withdrawl? sounds like some alcohol withdrawls got mixed in here.

arizona's online continuing education class on medical marijuana law?

what do i rate it?

D- fail.

outdated info, incorrect info, waste of time.

Edited by t-pain

• 2 weeks later...

I have a MMJ card from AZ which expired this past March. I'll be moving to Michigan and back to my home town in about 3 weeks (currently living in Tennessee). Im hoping I won't have any trouble getting my card in Michigan. The past 10 months have been a hard living with my back pain due to a sports injury. All they want to do is pump you full of pills here. I'm all natural and organic type of guy. I look out for my health and well being of my body... Hopefully I won't have any troubles :)

I have a MMJ card from AZ which expired this past March. I'll be moving to Michigan and back to my home town in about 3 weeks (currently living in Tennessee). Im hoping I won't have any trouble getting my card in Michigan. The past 10 months have been a hard living with my back pain due to a sports injury. All they want to do is pump you full of pills here. I'm all natural and organic type of guy. I look out for my health and well being of my body... Hopefully I won't have any troubles :)

Welcome 

We can always use your help