Michigan Senate Leader Says He’S On Board With Medical Marijuana Bills

The top lawmaker in the state Senate says he’s now on board with legislation to allow medical marijuana dispensaries in Michigan.

Senate Majority Leader Randy Richardville, R-Monroe, is now also embracing a bill that would allow state-certified patients to use edible and other non-smokable forms of marijuana.

Richardville was not a fan of the legislation when the state House approved it late last year. But he says that has changed as he’s heard more from supporters of the bills.

“This is for well-meaning people and it’s all for medical purposes. And [patients and caregivers] came and gave some moving testimony,” said Richardville.

“There’s so much to learn about that topic, and I didn’t know a lot about it. And I didn’t realize how difficult smoking is for some people and the different ingestion techniques that are important to them.”

Supporters of House Bill 4271 say dispensaries allow people to get treatment right away, instead of having to wait for a caregiver to grow and cultivate marijuana. They say that process can take months. Patients with certain diseases, such as cancer, sometimes don’t live long enough to get the benefits of medical marijuana.

A number of state Supreme Court rulings in recent years have made it impossible for dispensaries to operate the way they did when Michigan voters first approved the state’s Medical Marijuana Act in 2008.

Advocates say House Bill 5104 is also necessary because a recent Michigan Court of Appeals ruling limited legal medical marijuana use to smokable forms. They say children and people with respiratory illnesses should not be forced to smoke cannabis. Products like candies, lotions, and oils can produce unique benefits and some don’t produce a “high” effect, according to patients and caregivers.

Richardville chairs the Senate Government Operations Committee, where the bills sit now. He expects to move the bills to the Senate floor over the summer. He says a vote in the full state Senate could come as early as September.

I like to hear some positive news now and than but im sure not getting my hopes up yet!

I truly would love for both bills to pass, seeing as how the s.c will not hear a few cases that involve medibles, as far as despensarry's I will be very happy to have them for pt's who need them, I just dont want to lose any of  our grow rights, plant counts or usable amount we can have now, I actualy think 5104 is fair as far as counting the different tinctures, medibles and oils for the amount that is in the bill, I most def can live with that, and add the despenses with their medibles, it should make it a whole lot better for pt's who only use oil or tinctures, etc,

Thanks for another Great post  Bob!

Peace

Time will tell how many patients will be prosecuted because he decided to play politics with this healthcare  issue and to 'sit on the bills'.  He had all of the evidence and all of the testimony in plenty of time to advance the bills before the session ended if he sincerely wanted to be helpful. 

There is a part of the brain that 'lights up' on MRI's when people get totally disgusted.  I'm willing to bet that it is the exact same area of the brain that lights up when interacting with politicians.  I don't know how people can remain close enough to them in order to work with them.

I tried to be somewhat politically active early on in this battle.  I had myself convinced that it was a matter of educating the politicians.  I made appointments with my Rep and my Senator and I wrote them quite a few letters and emails in an attempt to enlighten.  It is clear to me that that educational phase ended long ago.  I have completely lost my taste for political interaction at this point as it has become all about money and the deals.  You know, slimy politics as usual.

Well in fact, the good Senator does not get any of the donations.  They go to his Leadership PAC to be distributed to candidates of his choice....

In that case I retract my original statement and amend it as follows;

I guess paying them off at the fundraiser helped.

Time will tell how many patients will be prosecuted because he decided to play politics with this healthcare  issue and to 'sit on the bills'.  He had all of the evidence and all of the testimony in plenty of time to advance the bills before the session ended if he sincerely wanted to be helpful. 

There is a part of the brain that 'lights up' on MRI's when people get totally disgusted.  I'm willing to bet that it is the exact same area of the brain that lights up when interacting with politicians.  I don't know how people can remain close enough to them in order to work with them.

I tried to be somewhat politically active early on in this battle.  I had myself convinced that it was a matter of educating the politicians.  I made appointments with my Rep and my Senator and I wrote them quite a few letters and emails in an attempt to enlighten.  It is clear to me that that educational phase ended long ago.  I have completely lost my taste for political interaction at this point as it has become all about money and the deals.  You know, slimy politics as usual.

It is a full time thing washtenaut. They never sleep, so we can't either. 

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.

Plato

Hmmm, happy to suggest I was wrong. Perhaps this means the bills will move out of committee & become law this year? darn good job to the patients that must have testified, and to whomever that paid him enough cash. I am truly a bit surprised.

B&T- tried to pm you but kept getting error messages. Would you be willing to shoot me a pm? Thank you!

GASEOUS FORM.    ) 7 GRAMS OF MARIHUANA-INFUSED PRODUCT IF IN A GASEOUS FORM

still wondering what that  is ?  is that Hast Oil?

I think it comes from the old Beatnik slang,

"Hey Daddy-O this weed is a gas!"

beatniks.gif

GASEOUS FORM.    ) 7 GRAMS OF MARIHUANA-INFUSED PRODUCT IF IN A GASEOUS FORM

still wondering what that  is ?  is that Hast Oil?

I was part of the task force that covered that topic.  I asked it's origin and I advised that it was not correct verbage, and most certainly an error.  I was told it came in thru the ACLU and their rep said specifically to me, "it came from the Washington State law, so it must be real."  Truthfully I believe it was a simple error that got thru.  And yes, I too believe it is in regard to hash oil, as the 7 grams equal one ounce of credit towards one's 2.5 ounces.  I have no proof on what got mistransposed (there is a made up word!) from Washington, but over the last 7 months I have come up with the theory that they are referring to the extraction method rather than the final product in this case alone on that part of the bill.  So it could be they are referring to a C02 extraction of an ounce being equivalent to 7 grams of oil.  I do not believe it is going to be changed, however, and I hope it won't be a matter for Judge Henry Saad's court (COA), because I guarantee that his interpretation will be unfavorable...

This just goes to prove that people can reconsider previous stands on an issue and I will further state that this is a sign of the times, Surely more to follow in the near future.

Thank you to all the patients who testified and wrote letters, Hayduke and others who have worked so hard to make this possible.

I do not believe it is going to be changed, however, and I hope it won't be a matter for Judge Henry Saad's court (COA), because I guarantee that his interpretation will be unfavorable...

He will probably require that it be mixed with petroleum to be considered protected under the act.

I was part of the task force that covered that topic.  I asked it's origin and I advised that it was not correct verbage, and most certainly an error.  I was told it came in thru the ACLU and their rep said specifically to me, "it came from the Washington State law, so it must be real."  Truthfully I believe it was a simple error that got thru.  And yes, I too believe it is in regard to hash oil, as the 7 grams equal one ounce of credit towards one's 2.5 ounces.  I have no proof on what got mistransposed (there is a made up word!) from Washington, but over the last 7 months I have come up with the theory that they are referring to the extraction method rather than the final product in this case alone on that part of the bill.  So it could be they are referring to a C02 extraction of an ounce being equivalent to 7 grams of oil.  I do not believe it is going to be changed, however, and I hope it won't be a matter for Judge Henry Saad's court (COA), because I guarantee that his interpretation will be unfavorable...

Maybe it's a measurement of the smoke Saad will be blowing up our azzes.

It's as good a theory as any I've heard.

Edited by GregS

searching for gaseous in wa.gov

http://www.wsp.wa.gov/breathtest/docs/webdms/DRE_Forms/Manuals/aride/Student%20Manual%20(ARIDE)%20-%20November%202007.pdf

inhalation is the act of introducing a substance directly into the respiratory system through the nose and mouth for the purpose of absorbing the substance through the alveoli in the lungs. for a substance to be effective when inhaled, it must be in a gaseous state. this is a very rapid method of absorption and is often referred to as huffing, sniffing, or smoking. inhalation is a common method of administration for cannabis, narcotic analgesics, dissociative anesthetics, hallucinogens and CNS stimulants.

so there you go. smoking is gaseous.

SO, so so so so so

volcano bags full of vaporized cannabis/smoke is 'gaseous'. now you know. and knowing is half the battle.

am curious if vaped volcano bags keep their gaseous state or if the thc sticks to the walls of the bag and returns to a liquid/solid form when cooled? pretty sure it turns back into a solid/liquid at that point.

Edited by t-pain