Senate Bill For Cannabis Patient Gun Rights

washtenaut

This would be a move in the right direction for the safety of patients using cannabis medically.  Currently this is used as a chess piece to force a plea given the severe penalties for possession of firearms and cannabis, even with those using cannabis medically (as well as recreationally in 2 states) under their state laws.

Dr. Bob

A 2011 letter issued by the ATF told federal firearm licensees that they are not allowed to sell ammunition or firearms to marijuana users, even if that person is in full compliance with state laws. "[A]ny person who uses or is addicted to marijuana, regardless of whether his or her state has passed legislation authorizing marijuana use for medicinal purposes, is an unlawful user of or addicted to a controlled substance, and is prohibited by federal law from possessing firearms or ammunition," the letter states.

I take this as taking away gun rights.. 

The letter was addressed to and explains the responsibilities of federal firearms licensees, not patients. If being a medical marijuana patient removed gun rights, the police and prosecutors would not return firearms seized from patients and caregivers after a dismissal or acquittal, but they do. The federal statues referred to in the letter do not criminalize gun ownership for patients.

No, but it does require the applicant to lie about their use of a controlled subatance. Even if the patient believes they are not addicted nor using an illegal substance, the fed considers it differently. So, according to them, checking no on the apllication is a lie, and that is a crime, I believe. If you check yes, as they desire, then you get denied on an app. In effect, they remove your right from to be able to purchase & legally possess, or to commit a crime by falsifying info on an app. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

There are complications when purchasing, but certainly basic gun rights are not affected, except to the degree that has already been discussed. Firearms are returned to patients and caregivers routinely after cases are resolved.

I agree and have seen it happen to some but at what cost i tell people as you do that Guns are legal for MMJ cg/pt but i wouldn't have them unless you have the $$$ to support having them

22 Jun 2014 09:56 AM EST

Bill would let medical marijuana patients own guns

A Montana senator on Wednesday introduced an amendment to a House appropriations bill that would bar federal prosecution of medicinal marijuana patients who own or possess firearms.

The proposed amendment by Sen John Walsh, D-Mont., would prohibit the use of federal funds to prosecute gun owners based on their status as registered medical marijuana patients in states

that allow medical use of the drug. The measure does not cover recreational marijuana users in Colorado and Washington, two states that have legalized limited recreational use by adults. In a

statement, Walsh said "This measure will ensure that patients can hunt, purchase ammunition and protect their homes without fear of prosecution."

http://www.allmediany.com/news/25530-bill-would-let-medical-marijuana-patients-own-guns