Police Corruption In The D June 2014

June 19, 2014 at 5:33 pm
Commander of Detroit Police drug unit files whistle-blower complaint

Detroit— The lieutenant in charge of the Detroit Police Narcotics Section has filed a federal whistle-blower complaint, claiming he was the victim of racial discrimination and subjected to a hostile work environment for reporting wrongdoing in the drug unit.

Lt. Charles Flanagan, who is white, filed a complaint with the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission on May 28, four days after Internal Affairs conducted an audit of the Narcotics Section, his attorney, Mike Rataj, said Thursday.

When Flanagan, a 29-year police veteran who sits on the Harper Woods City Council, assumed command of the unit in November, Rataj said he uncovered numerous issues, including a sergeant who had failed to turn in 32 pieces of drug evidence confiscated from hospitalized suspects; and another sergeant who made up false evidence tags for items seized during drug raids including three flat-screen TVs, a laptop computer, and an Xbox 360 video game system. Flanagan alleges the officer kept them for personal use.

Flanagan claims he and two other white officers who are his friends were going to be transferred because he reported the incidents, which happened before he commanded the unit.

Deputy Chief Daryl Brown, who recommended the transfer, ran the drug unit when the alleged violations occurred in 2011. Brown, who is African-American, currently is in charge of the Criminal Investigations Bureau, which oversees Narcotics.

The May 24 Narcotics Section audit and subsequent investigation, which is ongoing, were launched after Flanagan informed Police Chief James Craig about the alleged violations, both Craig and Rataj confirmed.

Craig insisted he told Flanagan he would not act on Brown’s recommendation to transfer him and added: “I have not, nor will I make any personnel decisions based on race, creed, or sexual orientation.

“I’m the only person who can order transfers, and I specifically told Flanagan twice that despite the recommendation by the deputy chief, I wasn’t going to transfer him,” Craig said.

Flanagan, who was a narcotics officer in the late 1980s, claims in his EEOC complaint that Brown wanted to transfer him because he reported alleged violations by longtime allies of Brown, including the sergeant who allegedly withheld evidence seized from hospitalized suspects, who is now Brown’s driver.

“Deputy Chief Brown tried to transfer Lt. Flanagan because he reported his subordinates for possible criminal activity that took place under Brown’s watch,” Rataj said. “Since taking over narcotics, Lt. Flanagan has initiated six separate Internal Affairs investigations into things he’s uncovered.”

“People want to say everything bad only happened when Kwame (Kilpatrick) was mayor, but nothing has changed,” said Rataj, who represented the former mayor’s top aide Bobby Ferguson during a federal corruption trial. “When an officer tries to blow the whistle on wrongdoing, the people in charge retaliate.”

Craig insisted nobody retaliated against Flanagan, and said he quickly investigated all his claims of wrongdoing in the unit.

“When this investigation was initiated, it was against only one employee,” he said. “From that probe, we determined there were additional issues. We were trying to determine if seized property was accounted for, and through that review, we found additional property that hadn’t been accounted for.”

ghunter@detroitnews.com 
(313) 222-2134

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140619/METRO01/306190132#ixzz35Hmdg8Ry

Aparently it is more than just the cops! It comes down from the top, the mayor is the boss over the police commisioner, when they are both crooked the sheat runs down hill, when some one says hey this isnt right, It dont matter if the subject under investigation is a crook or a supposed crook, the people from up top make the decisions!

Bottom line is every one has a price!  I have a price, do you have a price?  Im pretty sure 98% of people have a price, they may not know it untill some one meets their price, but we have a price!

Alot of good people go into politics,  but the same people come out bad!  2% dont, they go in wanting to change the world and come out feeling as though they failed or can not make things right and within rule,

I totaly guessed at the % but I think you all get the picture, I was around polictics all of my life, politics realy does not make good bed fellows, all it takes is the right price and the pres and vice pres are enemy's, but no one knows it untill you read the memoirs after the fact!

blah blah blah

Peace

look if the police cant steal xbox's and flat screen tvs, what good is being a drug cop in the first place?

also, two things.

1. i bet this cop wouldnt have reported it if it were an all-white squad.

2. police stealing evidence? happens every day.

whistleblower lawsuit? it means he wants his millions and pension.

great, another fuckup for the tax payers. 

maybe we should make a law , something about govt employees not being able to sue the city/state?

would that help anything?

Edited by t-pain

I wonder, really wonder if they properly tagged and logged in-----or if instead they smoked----the 22 plants and the meds they took from me may 6, with no charges or ticket or fine.

They cannot find any paper or records relating to the raid of my grow may 6, and this is after many calls to the drug unit and the pros attorney.  The papers relating to the case number on the search warrant, they say, are 'missing.'

I'd sue but if i won, with Detroit in bankruptcy, what would I get?  Zippo and Zappo...

Most likely i'd get another raid...and this time they'd take my grow equipment, or smash it in place.

BOB:  TY, good idea, will stop.  i hear what is going on is Chief Craig directed the drug unit to raid everyone who ever posted or responded to an ad on Bud Trader and Craigslist Health and Beauty...don't have an idea if true.

Edited by pic book

They cannot find any paper or records relating to the raid of my grow may 6, and this is after many calls to the drug unit and the pros attorney.  The papers relating to the case number on the search warrant, they say, are 'missing.'

so are you happy theres no records and thus no case, or are you sad theres no records and thus no case?

did you get any of their badge numbers? if so take em to fed court. sorry to hear its all messed up man.

Edited by t-pain

so are you happy theres no records and thus no case, or are you sad theres no records and thus no case?

did you get any of their badge numbers? if so take em to fed court. sorry to hear its all messed up man.

I'm sad at the corruption.  

As to badge numbers, all 8 of them were without badges on their all-black military uniforms (not even a different-color stripe on them).  Their concern about cameras was comic.   Soon as they had the 3 of us cuffed and on the floor they ran around yelling, "Where's the cameras?  Find the cameras.  Take the cameras."  And one officer yelling back at the leader in frustration, "What camera?  Where?"  

They had no badges but I got one name; the lead man.  He signed the search warrant return (the receipt, so to speak).  

I hope the whistle-blower suit succeeds in ripping all the corruption out of our police department.  I like Detroit.   It's been a good home and want to to see it resurrected.

I wonder, really wonder if they properly tagged and logged in-----or if instead they smoked----the 22 plants and the meds they took from me may 6, with no charges or ticket or fine.

I'd sue but if i won, with Detroit in bankruptcy, what would I get?  Zippo and Zappo...

Most likely i'd get another raid...and this time they'd take my grow equipment, or smash it in place.

They sold it , good money on the streets ya know... ;)

I'm sad at the corruption.  

As to badge numbers, all 8 of them were without badges on their all-black military uniforms (not even a different-color stripe on them).  Their concern about cameras was comic.   Soon as they had the 3 of us cuffed and on the floor they ran around yelling, "Where's the cameras?  Find the cameras.  Take the cameras."  And one officer yelling back at the leader in frustration, "What camera?  Where?"  

They had no badges but I got one name; the lead man.  He signed the search warrant return (the receipt, so to speak).  

I hope the whistle-blower suit succeeds in ripping all the corruption out of our police department.  I like Detroit.   It's been a good home and want to to see it resurrected.

Again we are sorry Pic Book about your raid/ripoff and Leo knows how bad it can go if they are caught of camera (with a great Lawyer) because there was one just a few months ago that got caught and sent to jail a few of them i forget which City

What i would do is have a Camera that has a feed off line so that even if they find it you will still have the tape. We used to sleep with are clothing on for days because of not knowing when they where going to come back and take us to jail we knew they where coming but when ? 

I also know of some that Leo just waits for 2-3 years and then charges someone so we understand living their in fear is no way to live 

I hope the whistle-blower suit succeeds in ripping all the corruption out of our police department.

sorry, nope. detroit police dept has been under 'federal oversight since 2003 for allegations of police brutality and ill treatment of prisoners.' according to wikipedia.

this is just another payout. maybe some old guys get early retirement or something. nothing changes.

also chief james craig cant investigate corruption while kevyn orr bankrupts the city and tells police to take paycuts and pension cuts. the police would never agree to any cuts if they were on the chopping block.

i'm sorry my analysis of the situation is not more positive. i have a realistic view based on current and past events, news stories and other evidence.

http://www.freep.com/article/20131223/NEWS01/312230079/Detroit-police-consent-decree-monitoring

yeah....

Pic Book,

The author of the Det. News story, George Hunter, is a personal friend.   His specific responsibility at the News is reporting on crime and the police in Detroit.  He tried to look into the news stories that were posted on here a few months back when it was reported that the Det. police raided some dispensaries and took $ and product, but no charges.   Regrettably none of the dispensaries would talk to him.  No one wanted any publicity.   If you are willing to talk with him he might be able to dig into what happened.  Of course the downside is his interest is in publishing a news story, something you too might not want.

Dad used to say that a person smart enough to be a good cop would inherently be smart enough not to accept the post today.

Don't know how it is here, but in back in Oregon during the 90's had a friend that went thru the academy. He expressed to me that they did psychological & intelligence testing, where they discouraged recruiting people that scored too high on intelligence. Apparently they were deemed to have problems within the system & didn't last very long (compared to those scoring lower).

Makes sense, same issue w the military. You'd have to be highly altruistic, and still be able to deal w all the frustration from working within a corrupt system that regularly fails society. Plenty of other endeavors that would be more rewarding, both in pay & satisfaction.

We're left w the bullies of junior high & those that can't get a better position in a different field. My buddy graduated but eventually quit. He was what I would qualify as a decent type of person, was surprised he joined to begin.

Similar deal w politics in that we don't have our brightest & best participating. The old ideals of 'to protect & serve' are gone anyway.

My nephew lived in Detroit this was 5 or 6 years ago and a west side suburban police department raided him. They where trying to break into his safe and the 2 1/2 sledge they where using after a few blows the top would fly off. When the top of the sledge came flying off after 3rd swing came back and knocked officer out cold. The officers pillaging the user floors heard the nice of the officer in the basement knocking himself out came running down to see my nephew laughing his azz off and there comrade out cold then proceeded to beat my nephew. Took him back to suburban jail held him for 3 days no charges ever filed and they got a nice windfall. One azzifer even thanked my nephew for making his kids X mis

My nephew lived in Detroit this was 5 or 6 years ago and a west side suburban police department raided him. They where trying to break into his safe and the 2 1/2 sledge they where using after a few blows the top would fly off. When the top of the sledge came flying off after 3rd swing came back and knocked officer out cold. The officers pillaging the user floors heard the nice of the officer in the basement knocking himself out came running down to see my nephew laughing his azz off and there comrade out cold then proceeded to beat my nephew. Took him back to suburban jail held him for 3 days no charges ever filed and they got a nice windfall. One azzifer even thanked my nephew for making his kids X mis