What Do You Do With The Extra

TJB

First, thank you for those who responded with answers that helped. Second as I posted I am new to all this so excuse the hell out of me for asking a question That I was not able to find an answer to. Third, I have a day job so again excuse the hell out of me Knucklehead Bob for not responding as fast as you thought I should have. It was my understanding that it was ok because they are all over the place, seems they would not be open with a big sign out front telling you what it is if it was not legal but as I said I am new to all this and it seems like all the legal information is NOT in 1 place but you have to look at many places for answers.

The law regarding medical marijuana is interpreted differently in different parts of the state. Some jurisdictions allow dispensary activity and some don't. Some are attempting to ban ALL medical marijuana from their borders while others are welcoming it.

If there is a dispensary operating in your neck of the woods, go down and talk to them to see if they purchase weed from locals. If they do, put on some type of disguise and have a friend drive you to the dispensary to unload your wares. Use some common sense and operate under the assumption that someone is out to nail you for not complying with some arcane section of the law. Or, if you really don't want to tempt fate, destroy your excess medicine in any way you deem fit. The law gives no guidance as to how a grower is to get rid of excess ganja. I like to throw mine in the ditch in the neighborhood and then tell my neighbors that "Somebody threw a whole bag of weed in the ditch! Should I call the police!?" They always say "No! You just go home and calm down! I will call them for you!" Miraculously, the stuff is gone within hours!

Juusst kidding. But, there really is no legally prescribed way to rid yourself of excess marijuana. Get creative!

Hello, I am still very new to all of this and the one question I have that I can not seem to find an answer to is what to do with all the excess? It is my understanding that I can sell to dispensaries but I also understand I can carry no more than 2.5oz per patient so if I have 5 patients that is 12.5oz. Is there a legal way to carry more than that if taking to a dispensary or do I have to make multiple trips?? Hope that question was not to confusing.

You need to understand that the 2.5 oz limit per patient is what you can possess - not what you can carry or transport at any given time.  Understand that any amount you have at home, you possess....any amount you carry you also possess.  So add your transport/carry amounts together with your "at home" amounts and stay under 2.5 oz per patient. 

Learning so much already from you all. Most of it is depressing lol, better smoke something to take care of that  :bong7bp: It seems silly to allow for 12 plants per pt if u can only have at a given time 2.5 per. Seems like if not carful in the growing process there is to much time and the pts would be without the medication needed. I see why as someone posted earlier to stager growth.

I'd advise not selling to a dispensary that needs to copy your personal information, and the ones that don't until we get our laws right.

Most of us grow in a perpetual style already and will gladly share the simple techniques to stay legal and supplied all at once. It takes some hoop jumping

and some controls, but it is workable, but it ain't profitable unless labor is free. It is labor intensive to support multiple patient needs this way. but possible.

It is a bit of work, I'm growing for 4 but it is so much fun and exciting to see them develop that it does not feel like work. I am kind of shocked at all the learning that is required, sure isn't  just plant a seed and water type of thing.

Learning so much already from you all. Most of it is depressing lol, better smoke something to take care of that  :bong7bp: It seems silly to allow for 12 plants per pt if u can only have at a given time 2.5 per. Seems like if not carful in the growing process there is to much time and the pts would be without the medication needed. I see why as someone posted earlier to stager growth.

Then again some people say that 12 plants per patient isn't enough due to difficulty cloning, sexing, etc.

Think of it like your speedometer and you car's maximum speed.  You might be able to hit 139mph before your rev limiter shuts the fuel down......In other words, it is perfectly legal to have a car that will double the speed limit and has the speedo to prove it, but no none is forcing you to drive that fast. 

It is a bit of work, I'm growing for 4 but it is so much fun and exciting to see them develop that it does not feel like work. I am kind of shocked at all the learning that is required, sure isn't  just plant a seed and water type of thing.

I guess you could call it horticulture. It is becoming your profession. Congratulations on your new career.

Edited by GregS

Dry the whole plant with roots and count it as a plant.  This way you can better gauge how much of each you need. cut off 2.5 ounces of each and leave the rest hang in a humidified cabinet.  Mark how long it takes to go thru a plant and put the next one of that type into flower when you get down to what lasted you 8 weeks last plant.

plants need not have roots to fit the definition in MCL 333.7401(5):

i agree buy i think if you where to levee some on the plant it may work out better if Leo comes to look at them because if you where to cut and hang-up branches Leo may count each branch

i know of a case that it  did happen  to someone

These are ways you could get yourself out of trouble but I'm not so sure that law enforcement is still going to consider your stash of hanging plants is unusable after you have been taking buds off it to use. It would be a good job for your attorney, and worthy of a pat on the back if he actually got this idea to fly. I wouldn't consider it a good plan to follow if you want to be in the 'most safe' category. Once they are dry and usable you can bet that there are a lot of law enforcement individuals that will want to call it usable no matter if it's on a huge stem or not.

I am not talking about storing dry marihuana on the stalk; I am talking about drying plants whole to avoid confusion about how to count them. There is a big difference.

Not everyone understands that. I'm sure some folks reading here might think that you can take your 2.5 off and leave the rest hanging as a dry but unusable plant. It's worth a try but not really very good advice for those trying to be as safe as they can. The 'non cowboy' types might find it a tough row to hoe when the law comes knocking.

..all of which is ridiculous, except for the dealers looking to hide behind a card. It is flat out EASY to comply with this law. Why would someone want to have more patients than they could legally provide for?  more plants than they need?  more stored buds than needed?   with such simple techniques freely available to the curious, I see only one reason to be concerned with hiding plants, hiding buds, or being concerned with plant counts over the 12 allowed. Cut and dry, as needed.  Police don't just show up normally, they are foolishly invited by many.

What if the police come? whatever....... dried, drying, stored, packaged as needed, I am always legal. My patients request a delivery on a schedule, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Breaking the schedule breaks my perpetual design, and requires a patient replacement in most cases. Obviously patients we choose to be part of our registry are the backbone of our legal success. Choose wisely.

..all of which is ridiculous, except for the dealers looking to hide behind a card. It is flat out EASY to comply with this law. Why would someone want to have more patients than they could legally provide for?  more plants than they need?  more stored buds than needed?   with such simple techniques freely available to the curious, I see only one reason to be concerned with hiding plants, hiding buds, or being concerned with plant counts over the 12 allowed. Cut and dry, as needed.  Police don't just show up normally, they are foolishly invited by many.

What if the police come? whatever....... dried, drying, stored, packaged as needed, I am always legal. My patients request a delivery on a schedule, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Breaking the schedule breaks my perpetual design, and requires a patient replacement in most cases. Obviously patients we choose to be part of our registry are the backbone of our legal success. Choose wisely.

Well grass, some folks don't have 5 carded patients so they don't have the coverage of 12.5 usable. Also, some grow techniques don't work well with the perpetual garden. Makes them always riding the edge. Some folks want to grow outside once a year. Think about how others might have a problem even though your position makes it easy for you. Everyone having a challenge isn't a dope dealer hiding behind a card. There are patients in certain situations, obviously not like you, that can possibly have a challenge staying under section 4 numbers.

Vacation?  Worry about a 4 oz. plant being 16+ wet.  Maybe you want to try a new strain and don't know what it will yield wet.

As for drying plants with roots on, what's wrong with that?  I've done it numerous times with great results.

Edited by Norby

As for drying plants with roots on, what's wrong with that?  I've done it numerous times with great results.

Didnt you get the memo?  if it aint the grassmatch way it aint kosher.

Its a little hard to follow sometimes cause his way sway back and forth in the breeze of opinion and propaganda  $$$

He lost me with the I dont lie line a few months ago...lol  Still waiting for his I walk on water   post

truth is it hard to trust folk that sell their own out for any amount of silver.  let alone crucify a poor long haired missionary for spreading the  truth and helpin the poor

but we praying for EVERYONE daily, even for those who would dis our savior

Peace

Vote EVERY Chance You get.  Your Future Depends on it!

The Real Prohabitionists....Do Not want Home grows,  outdoor grows, 12 plant counts or decriminalization.  They do want to restrict your grow rights, limit your numbers, over regulate your opp,  and sell you everything,

Curing your meds whole is a very good thing until it some how cuts into someones profit.

FREE the WEED

Edited by beourbud

that is why you dont grow all 12 at the same time, If you have lets say 5 pt's you should get more than you need out of cropping 4 plants a month, every time you pull one out of budd you pull one out of veg to put back into bud, you get a perpetual going, if you still wind up with more than you need or less than what you need that adjust, dont grow a persons full plant count, even if you only have one pt, you would have 4 in veg, 4 in budd and 4 spots for clones, cut clones 2 wks before you put plants into budd, as long as you pay attn you should do fine.

If your a c.g you only want the amount you are allowed by law, if you are going to take a chance and open a despense at this time, you realy should have a large bank acct for your legal issues that will surely follow!

Peace

I wasn't always a caregiver for others, nfact I was a patient grower first, faced with all of the same issues. I figured if I cannot do this legally and safely, then I cannot do this. I didn't figure out how to be legal overnight, and the net did little to help stay legal. I did however find a wealth of info related to "getting away with", "as long as they don't know" advice. Outside growing is challenging in our state for sure. I tip my hat to those able to do it legally. But if it's not done legally, then what value does it have here in the forum? I suppose five patients with handfuls of cash could be there on harvest day to take up the slack and keep one legal, but locating those five/avoiding a no show creates challenges again.

I don't think that "every challenged grower" is a dope dealer of course. Rather than attempting to assist those trying to get away with something I figure it safest to focus on safe proven ways to supply one or six patients legally full time. If a certain grow technique does not allow for a legal operation to continue, then it is not a viable technique at all.  Performing anything can be challenging for some, even growing legally I suppose. But there are these proven techniques now to refer to and remove the challenges faced by growers, all except greed, a human condition.

Norby,

I haven't had more than a two day vacation since 2008, ahh, the sacrifices of being legal. I do worry about a four ounce plant being 16 when its cut. I harvest according to my wet weight, not according to the weight in a week. A half plant harvest is a regular occurrence here, after all scheduled deliveries are complete, leaving an ounce or two of assorties for me. I keep a scale between my hanging tray rack and it's hook. No guesswork here, I can see the results instantly.

Allowing a plants' flowers to die slowly is called DYING, not DRYING. First it will become unhealthy, then it will die, then it will dry. Check out some botany papers for those facts. Mostly quantified with other herbs, but cannabis is an herb too. The practice of harvesting at peak ripeness is age old and stops the progression of life much sooner than if roots/dirt are intact. Roots contain a lot of hormones and water too, not so good for the finished flowers to be scavaging for.

I'm sure it's a good product for you, but good is subjective. I know people smoke hermaphrodites and say its good, but I know better. Pollen is not good to smoke. 

peace, I need a vacation ! That can be a subject someday for the allowance of others in a garden to tend......

beourpud,

My electricity bills are large enough that my patients always force me to accept money to help pay those bills. After all, I'm providing a service and product that they are not willing to produce themselves. I love your philanthropist venture, and wish I could give away money too.

On another note, I have never persecuted you, or anyone for giving their wares away for free. The Grassmatch way is legal, is your way also legal? How can you cut trees down once a year and be legal, while guaranteeing an uninterrupted supply for your

patients? I could give 2 chits how you grow, why you grow, or if you spread your overages to a hundred people, shooting accusations towards those actually striving for legality is just pooh, a common product of your mouth, to be expected. good to see you back again brother

I wasn't always a caregiver for others, nfact I was a patient grower first, faced with all of the same issues. I figured if I cannot do this legally and safely, then I cannot do this. I didn't figure out how to be legal overnight, and the net did little to help stay legal. I did however find a wealth of info related to "getting away with", "as long as they don't know" advice. Outside growing is challenging in our state for sure. I tip my hat to those able to do it legally. But if it's not done legally, then what value does it have here in the forum? I suppose five patients with handfuls of cash could be there on harvest day to take up the slack and keep one legal, but locating those five/avoiding a no show creates challenges again.

I don't think that "every challenged grower" is a dope dealer of course. Rather than attempting to assist those trying to get away with something I figure it safest to focus on safe proven ways to supply one or six patients legally full time. If a certain grow technique does not allow for a legal operation to continue, then it is not a viable technique at all.  Performing anything can be challenging for some, even growing legally I suppose. But there are these proven techniques now to refer to and remove the challenges faced by growers, all except greed, a human condition.

Norby,

I haven't had more than a two day vacation since 2008, ahh, the sacrifices of being legal. I do worry about a four ounce plant being 16 when its cut. I harvest according to my wet weight, not according to the weight in a week. A half plant harvest is a regular occurrence here, after all scheduled deliveries are complete, leaving an ounce or two of assorties for me. I keep a scale between my hanging tray rack and it's hook. No guesswork here, I can see the results instantly.

Allowing a plants' flowers to die slowly is called DYING, not DRYING. First it will become unhealthy, then it will die, then it will dry. Check out some botany papers for those facts. Mostly quantified with other herbs, but cannabis is an herb too. The practice of harvesting at peak ripeness is age old and stops the progression of life much sooner than if roots/dirt are intact. Roots contain a lot of hormones and water too, not so good for the finished flowers to be scavaging for.

I'm sure it's a good product for you, but good is subjective. I know people smoke hermaphrodites and say its good, but I know better. Pollen is not good to smoke. 

peace, I need a vacation ! That can be a subject someday for the allowance of others in a garden to tend......

Allowing plants to be cut is dying also.  cut flowers in water I could see but not cannabis hanging in the dark to dry.  I'm sure there is medicine in them their roots too.  Always remember good is subjective when you say that.  Unless your criticizing my abilities to judge "good".  Unless you quantify just what "bad" is in the roots and what happens to it your not really saying much.  Just because there are hormones in the roots doesn't mean they are different than in the rest of the plant or that they somehow move into the plant when they didn't when it was growing.  And you also don't quantify slowly and I never said to leave dirt on the roots or leave the whole rootball along with the stringy roots.  Sorry, I was looking for a more detailed description to judge whether it's enough to worry about or detect.  A plant dies pretty quick when you deleaf it and take off 90%+ of the roots(probably more when you count surface area).  At a certain point you increase dry time which would probably cause more problems with the smoke than leaving the roots on in winter or other dry environments.  To me just saying leaving the roots on is bad is quite misleading since different drying environments require different methods to achieve best results.  Esp. when science has progressed knowledge and methods in cannabis and we don't have to look to other plants anymore.

Sounds like you do need a vacation.  I'm sure your way is great for you but remember good is subjective.

Edited by Norby

your way is perfect, for you. I tell you that while growing organically there are bacteria on the roots and in the dirt that have no business being in or around your finished buds. E.Coli comes to mind. I can say that doing this will also prolong drying time increasing the mold spore count in your dry room area, a concern for some growers.

I certainly am not trying to get you to change your successful ways, why would I? do what works for you. I can tell you there is no thc in the roots, and that hanging them upside down so they can flow into the buds is an old wives tale. If it makes one feel better though, awesome. I'm not prepared to "show you the bad" points of leaving roots on a cannabis plant while drying, but hope you will research this yourself. I have, and forgot why,

but I remember it is not good per Oaksterdam U. Their teachings are also subjective, so a grain of salt is necessary. Some growers put their rootball, with plant attached, into boiling water, even boiling sugar water, expecting this to somehow change a drying bud. Some stick spikes in the stalks before they harvest, for the 50% thc increase they say. don't let my findings change your practices, find them for yourself, and accept or decline the ones that work for you.

roots may contain medicinal compounds, and maybe should be dried for the findings. Leaving them attached is just not worth the risk to me is all, or Jorge Cervantes, or Oaksterdam U, but maybe everyone else does it, so , grain of salt. I followed every suggestion made by these two pro's and have suffered zero issues. I have to stick closely to the notion that every issue is caused by one of those parameters not being met. I'll leave the scientific study to you smart folks, and just follow simple instructions for provisions.

peace man

Norby,

The Art of dying is initslef dyeing i agree 

I have done it for many years now almost 5  all inn all and can tell someone the drying weight of wet cannabis anytime and i'am looking also for work at this time