Happening Now - Drug Teams Searching Five Medical Marijuana Dispensaries

I agree, they should be getting it from their caregivers, but things happen, have you ever heard of catastrophic failure, leo coming in to steal your plants etc? 

Your response seems a little lacking in compassion and understanding doc, I expect  more  understanding, caring and compassion from people in your profession, especially from you as you make your living working with these patients.  Shame on you.

It isn't lack of compassion, it is what the community has been saying for quite some time, since the McQueen decision.  Dispensaries and easy access without effort have led to the demise of compassion clubs that taught folks how to grow for themselves and served as facilitators to meet potential caregivers.  There is a bill in the legislature allowing for dispensaries, but it hasn't passed and been signed yet.  We do have a legal caregiver system in place and many of us have strongly recommended it from the start, given the current law.  

It irritates me when people say things like dispensaries are needed because otherwise patients can't get meds, or that they are somehow better because the alternative is using meds that 'someone grew in their basement', or the other pro-dispensary/anti caregiver-self growing patient rhetoric that seems common in this issue.

So once again, patients are not helpless because some illegal dispensaries were shut down, they have the means to obtain meds.  The only difference is that the organizations that used to help them (the original model compassion clubs) don't exist for the most part and patients who, rather than learn to grow their own or get caregivers as the law requires, relied on these storefront shops that are here today, gone tomorrow depending on the whim of the local prosecutor.  This is not the time to point fingers, or question compassion, but to act and try and rebuild the system while we wait for the legislature to process the provisioning center and medibles bills.

Dr. Bob

You missed the whole point of my post.  "Some will have no where to turn to."  Do you not care?  That Sir was the point!

You missed the point that a supply doesn't just go away... POOF. LEO didn't take the supply away. They took away the illegal middle man. Where do you think the dispensary was getting their supply? Mexico? Then it's good it's gone. California? Then it's good it is gone. Michigan growing Patients and Caregivers? Hook a brother/sister up. No dam now. No easy short cut to flingggg.

I agree, they should be getting it from their caregivers, but things happen, have you ever heard of catastrophic failure, leo coming in to steal your plants etc? 

Your response seems a little lacking in compassion and understanding doc, I expect  more  understanding, caring and compassion from people in your profession, especially from you as you make your living working with these patients.  Shame on you.

Change form?

The one thing I will clearly say in support of these dispensaries is that now they are gone, patients are being forced to the black market while they make new, legal, arrangements.  If ever a counterproductive piece of law enforcement existed, this is it.  It created crime out of a question of legal justification to be argued in court, not taken out on patients.  Especially ironic is the fact that it will all be legal by next April I suspect, it seems as though it was some last minute 'enforcing for dollars' and I have have said so publicly.

The argument that there 'can't be selective enforcement of laws' used by those supporting the raids doesn't hold water.  Jaywalking is also against the law, and far more people are killed by jaywalking than by going to a dispensary.  Yet we don't see helicopters over intersections or 'intersection enforcement teams' keeping us safe.  Why, because of seizures and enforcing for dollars against soft targets.  Why investigate a meth lab, or risk your safety raiding it, when you can go to a well marked, medical dispensary?  Then you not only get the headlines you want to gain public support for your 'narcotic team' but you get a little geld to use as you wish.

Dr. Bob

Edited by Dr. Bob

As a compassionate caregiver myself I wish dispensaries were legal and popular. I am unable to supply a patient requiring grams at a time. I completely understand the need for that specific provision though, and find those who do without are often those who need little. 

From a patient perspective I'm upset with the amount of time the state will take to make it legal for someone to provide to me. Forcing a sick patient, maybe new to cannabis without any "connections", to wait at all for relief is inhumane.

Sending them to the streets can be dangerous activity, with unhealthy results. 

TC has an ordinance that specifically allows for dispensaries.  That does not make them legal after the MSC decision.  As a person who's collective closed upon that very day over a year and half ago, I have found zero lapse in service and reliability within our network.  Obviously the market demands these types of "provisioning centers", but I can't believe these places in TC are open or that the Traverse City Business Admins continue to allow them to open on a basically "If nobody complains, its ok" mentality.  While I think that open marketplaces would be a benefit to all cannabis consumers, I do not wish to see the law so blatantly broken in order to profit and I think that these businesses are currently doing the community a disservice by exposing themselves and patients to potential prosecution and negative media portrayal.

• 4 weeks later...

Who are they to turn to?  Perhaps registered caregivers as the law allows?  Or wait until the law is changed to allow dispensaries?

Dr. Bob

...or go cannabando, agreeing to sec. 8 elements in a signed, notarized statement spelling out the particulars after obtaining a signed, notarized affidavit that a doctor has stated...

The section 8 comment is pretty funny.  I do recall in another thread here that a patient with a decent case is in their second year of court drama in a section 8 hearing.

yeah, section 8 is there, but it depends on your pocketbook as to whether you have any chance of making it work.  Unless you have a signed document admitting your guilt (and clear intent to go cowboy outside of section 4), then it is a moot point.

Dr. Bob

The section 8 comment is pretty funny.  I do recall in another thread here that a patient with a decent case is in their second year of court drama in a section 8 hearing.

yeah, section 8 is there, but it depends on your pocketbook as to whether you have any chance of making it work.  Unless you have a signed document admitting your guilt (and clear intent to go cowboy outside of section 4), then it is a moot point.

Dr. Bob

Gee B*B. Did that patient sign and notarize the necessary documents?

Edited by GregS

Have a nice one Greg, not going to get into another mindless debate on your silly legal theory. 

Have a nice day.

Dr. Bob

Didn't think so. Run along. This is not an argument you're looking for if you're smart about it. But then, we've seen how smart you aren't.

Edited by GregS

I just don't like when people portray the general local marijuana market as something insanely dangerous and black market and OMG what about the kittens!!!

It might not seem that way to us seasoned users, but imagine the grandparents who are now peeling the wool off their eyes and seeking relief. Their experience in the bar or at the festival could definitely be negative while trying to procure medicine.