What To Do When You Find An Illegal Grow On Your Property?

Yesterday I went on a walk in the back yard, it's not huge but it's about 8 acres, and I found 8 large plants that had been freshly watered. I tore them down put them in trash bags, and burned them in the fire pit. I also talked to one of my neighbors to let him know he should keep his eye on the property. The only thing is I've been having panic attacks, worrying about being raided because someone was growing illegally without my knowledge. We live really close to the airport and the cops fly over the neighborhood every year. I guess I'd have a reason to be stressed out if it was later in the year.

i just happen to know a farmer that has mj show up at least yearly  in the spring planting season.. lol ,, he just sprays it with round up weed killer.. although he will leave one or two if there planted back outta site.. dont know why :)

I'm sorry Mr. Pain, I disagree, the plants were really close to a neighbor that has kids, the only thing I recall hearing a officer say (concerning medical) that I agree with is this, "We treat it like medical, and if a person had a script for narcotics he wouldn't leave them laying around the house where they were easily accessible to children.". I think pot should be treated the same way, if we're to be taken seriously, at all. Please know that I meant no offense, and I do appreciate the input. Different viewpoints at the "round" table, is what makes our country great. I think everyone should have the right to do anything they can to prevent cancer, and to pursue happiness, as long as it doesn't impede someone else's pursuit along the way. Our laws just haven't caught up yet, and until they do I'll keep following what they do allow to the T.

@restorium- what was the outcome of your call?

Edited by slipstar059

@Willy I blame all these asshats on YouTube giving instructions on guerrilla growing. Even people with full medical grows seem to like posting "how to" videos (maybe they feel it gives them street cred?). Meanwhile the 80 year old men and women, who've worked their whole lives to buy a few acres, are the ones to feel the consequences of their actions. I know I'm most likely making to much of this, but I've also never once had to deal with it. You can't tell me the cops would believe that it wasn't mine "come flyover season" if I hadn't been the one to find it.

I do believe it's a neighbor but the guy I talked to had an immediate reaction, of "call the sheriff they might want to set up some sort of sting," but he changed tune, when I said, "for all I know they were yours, I don't want problems with my neighbors, I'm just letting people know it's not going to fly on my property." He seemed like a nice guy and a straight shooter, he also told me he has game cameras on his property and he could set them up to face the area I found them. I put a no trespassing sign right in the middle of where the patch was.

I'm sorry Mr. Pain, I disagree, the plants were really close to a neighbor that has kids, the only thing I recall hearing a officer say (concerning medical) that I agree with is this, "We treat it like medical, and if a person had a script for narcotics he wouldn't leave them laying around the house where they were easily accessible to children.". I think pot should be treated the same way, if we're to be taken seriously, at all. Please know that I meant no offense, and I do appreciate the input. Different viewpoints at the "round" table, is what makes our country great. I think everyone should have the right to do anything they can to prevent cancer, and to pursue happiness, as long as it doesn't impede someone else's pursuit along the way. Our laws just haven't caught up yet, and until they do I'll keep following what they do allow to the T.

@restorium- what was the outcome of your call?

I called 911. They sent the State Police who bagged and tagged them. Then they sent out the DEA guy on the team. He asked me if there were more. I said it's probably all over out in the woods. He didn't look. He said his knee hurt. I'm trying to stay legal and some arse plants some scraggly marijuana right out behind my house. I don't want to know who did it I just want it gone and I don't want to get caught taking it down. It worked good in my opinion. Cover your arse if you have anything to lose. I kept all their business cards just in case it happens again.

I'd put a game cam up to see who was brazen enough to trespass on my property, and dumb enough to think I wouldn't confiscate the evidence, when it's time.

Or I could have just sit there like a sitting duck all summer ^^^ and work on my lines I'm gonna tell the cops if they happen to find my neighbor's plants. Naw. I don't like that option. Most folks see the beauty in what I did.

It was a good learning experience. Funny at times. 911 sent out two women state troopers. They introduced themselves and asked where the plants were. We started towards where the plants were and one of the troopers said they could smell them already. I didn't see how that could be because the plants were young and sad, no smell coming from them at all. As we went a little further she bent over and said AH HA, here is some right here. She plucked a nice ripe bud of cat nip and stuck it under her nose and sneezed. I told her it was catnip and we have a ton of it growing wild around here. I took them over to the two patches with around 20 plants in each one. They pulled the plants and commented that they thought they had been started indoors because of the potting soil in the holes. I'm thinking that someone really set me up bad, not sure it was on purpose, but set up just the same. We looked around close by for more patches and didn't find any. They were at my house for over an hour and we talked a little about cannabis. The trooper, (not the 'uneducated' one who thought catnip was cannabis) said she knew where there were a few plants growing nearby and she could see them from the road. She said she drives by them every day in her own car trying to catch someone watering/tending them. She got a call on her phone and she was going to meet up with some DNR officers for lunch. She asked them over the phone if she could trade some plants for walleyes. I'm sure she was kidding. The DEA guy came over the next day. I think he was just a trooper that was sort of 'borrowed' by the feds. He asked me some questions and asked if I would show him the grow areas out back. I did. He could barely walk in the woods. His knee was messed up. I asked him to search the whole woods. He said he would but never did. Have not heard a word in 4 years. I would do it exactly the same way if it ever happens again.

I have an idea, we have lots of state land out there, keep it off private citizens property, as was said it puts the crap pile right on them.. poor form i say, poor form.. if i want meds out in my back 40 i'll put it there myself thank you! 

Just a concerned citizen doing his civic duty! :yahoo-wave::thumbsu::yahoo-wave:

Lol. ;-)

Rest- I get what you say re covering your donkey, esp in today's society. Won't knock you for looking out, but it is awfully unsettling nonetheless. Calling the cops that is.

I like the response of the op- take the initiative to clear it up, talk to a few of the neighbors to let em know/feel them out, put up a sign, and not call the cops. Good on you. I'd personally even be willing to find them on the land, explain my concerns/the situation it puts me in, and to kindly ask that they do it no more. Bet the conversation would go just fine, and no cops ever needed.

Just seems wrong to get in bed w the cops, even if it is to protect yourself.