News! Medical Marijuana Bills To Hit Senate Floor Next Week!

suneday11

I just wanted to bring up an argument against testing, in case it might make a difference. There's no way that testing will be able to tell if there's mold in the cannabis thats being brought in.

The only way to tell is by destroying 100% of the cannabis, and testing everything. If a caregiver brings in a limit of 15 oz, and a gram gets tested, it won't tell you if the whole batch is contaminate free. 15 oz could be 15 different plants, and the gram could have been sampled from every plant, but the one that had pest/mold issues. In the end you still have to take the farmer at his word.

If you look at the dried product, you can physically see, contaminates, insect frass, and mold. At that point the provisioning center should turn down the cannabis, or accept any consequences of selling a tainted medicine.

I would argue if a large company like GPW pharmaceuticals doesn't do impurity testing in-house, and have no testing requirements imposed, then the caregiver with 5 patients should be allowed the same leniency.

If Plant/seedling count is a "growers" issue, then testing should be as well.

Edited by slipstar059

I just wanted to bring up an argument against testing, in case it might make a difference. There's no way that testing will be able to tell if there's mold in the cannabis thats being brought in.

The only way to tell is by destroying 100% of the cannabis, and testing everything. If a caregiver brings in a limit of 15 oz, and a gram gets tested, it won't tell you if the whole batch is contaminate free. 15 oz could be 15 different plants, and the gram could have been sampled from every plant, but the one that had pest/mold issues. In the end you still have to take the farmer at his word.

If you look at the dried product, you can physically see, contaminates, insect frass, and mold. At that point the provisioning center should turn down the cannabis, or accept any consequences of selling a tainted medicine.

I would argue if a large company like GPW pharmaceuticals doesn't do impurity testing in-house, and have no testing requirements imposed, then the caregiver with 5 patients should be allowed the same leniency.

If Plant/seedling count is a "growers" issue, then testing should be as well.

I also wonder how labs would go about testing a non-homogeneous pile of greens.  I know when samples are analyzed (for example) for diesel fuel contaminants, metals, the sample is delivered to the lab in about a 4-8 oz. jar.  The lab then "homogenizes" the sample and takes maybe a gram our so out of that for analysis.  So without sample collection and preservation protocols, how would this be done with cannabis?  Take 15 oz, toss it in a grinder, the extract one gram?  Or take a random sample from the pile of buds and analyze only that?  In order to have valid analytical results, there needs to be a standard procedure for sample collection, transport, storage, preservation, etc.  All those procedures/hoops to jump through/documentation to keep = more and more money.

All for a plant that has a death count of 0. Mold and all. The legalization movement likes to remind us all of that fact, right up until they start investing in testing centers. Also on the sheriffs assoc. opinion, they're right, medical cannabis, and marijuana are the same thing. Recreational users will receive the same medical benefits, as non-medical users. It's akin to eating an orange, when you're not sick, being healthy doesnt negate the vitamin C.

Edited by slipstar059

There are protocols to testing herbal type products and how a sample should be attained, and how many different samples are needed.

Agreed that it isn't absolute,... but proper standards can be had,... usually by enlarging production, unfortunately, to create more uniformity.

In other words, you need to be a large-scale grower before it makes sense to incur the costs of testing. 

aka...we shift the benefit of growing to folks who can incur the costs.  = the benefit is to the large-scale grower?  So for the patient who has a good command of his plants...he can't compete?

Not if testing is involved.

I mean,.. in Colorado, they do testing for each warehouse based on max 10 pounds of marijuana.  A CG can't even compete with that type of thing in Michigan.  To par costs down and actually do full extensive panel screening of cannabis, it needs to be larger scale.  Figure(just for general) that full across the board screening costs $1200.  A patient has 2.5/oz max, a cg has 15 oz max,  a large scale producer has 10lbs, all at the same cost of testing. 

So yea,...

I just talked to Senator Meekofs office and they told me this bill will probably not be voted on. Which means it will die. So I will continue to be a criminal making medicine for my husband as will other family members and patients in Michigan. Thanks Michigan liars aka Senators Richardsville lied he knew this bill would die in the lame duck session. You can argue the language and fine points here as much as you want but the bottom line is that I and many others will continue to risk incarceration for providing medicine to our loved ones. I am in the same category as your average drug dealer in the eyes of the law. Im pissed

Meekof is not the Senator in control of this during this session.  Next session yes, this one nope...

I sat through more meetings yesterday refining language, and I believe I will be back tomorrow doing the same.  Certainly I am not the last word on anything, but, to declare the bills dead, is premature.  

When and if that changes I will post here and let ya'll know...

From my perspective, things are still in play, and I do believe the votes are there in the Senate for both bills to pass (that is called a whip count)....

Let me also add that in the meeting yesterday was 13 state officials from multiple areas, all working on language.  Bleep Meekof, he was not there, nor were his staff.  Why?  Well, they weren't invited.  Sen Richardville had his chief of staff there as did Rep Callton.  Do you really think this type of work would go on if there was no chance of a vote?  Sen Richardville (Majority Leader) and Gov Snyder are leading the way on this.  It is my belief that they have far more juice than that little fat man with the note pad in his hand, Arlan...

As long as the language is done and vetted, I trust these bills have a strong chance of being voted in....

please take a deep breathe... it's not over till it's over...

Does anyone think they will be able to make their own cannabis oil at home if the bill does pass ?

Not going to stop me. Legally?

The limitations on quantity for an individual patient could very easily make it so that no patient could make any legally at home. If you are using cannabis to treat your condition(s) in multiple ways there's no room to make oil and stay within the MM Act. It is fathomable legally, but it would be an amazing juggling act with crop rotations, multiple forms of cannabis on hand, and extraction methods. 

Edited by Restorium2