Question About Hermies?

So not I, but my Uncle has recently noticed that in his flower room there is a plant that is deep into flowering, that has hermied..or, at least one of the branches has. This plant is far enough along in its' flowering that it has seeds already formed in places, but only along that one branch and the connected branches. A thorough investigation led to noticing no other seeds on any of the other branches, but he has inquired as to what to do with it. The other plants in his grow area aren't that far into flower yet, but he fears that the hermie may have already dusted his poor ladies and ruined his sensimilla (sp?) crop.

So I come to the board asking: What is your input here? I didn't really know what to tell him. He is under the impression that maybe if he cuts off just that branch, the plants in the room will be safe.

cut it

cull it

remove the strain from your garden.

call it what it is.

if there were no direct stress reasons for the hermi  ie - light penetration at night, or maybe an interruption of electrical service during flower period then i can't think of any good reason to keep genetics around that tend to hermi and throw nanners...

also..

in my experience.. remove the plant from your flower area immediately if not sooner...

turns out.. usually for every one "nanner" you may find or see there are 4 more you won't see...they are very difficult to spot until they mature..

i learned the hard way..

arguably over and over again..

with a difficult strain that i wanted to keep

now i know.. once you see a nanner.... pluck her immediately..

Edited by mibrains

Thing is, that plant has been in that room of his for...well over two months and he didn't so much as notice the thing. That's the real question here, does he just let it finish out to collect the seeds, or does he still yank it? He has no problem letting it finish if he must and simply hashing/turning it into oil, along with any other seeded and "infected" plants. The plants that are in there now are the last plants being put into that room, as his new one will be finished and ready for the next group.

Thing is, that plant has been in that room of his for...well over two months and he didn't so much as notice the thing. That's the real question here, does he just let it finish out to collect the seeds, or does he still yank it? He has no problem letting it finish if he must and simply hashing/turning it into oil, along with any other seeded and "infected" plants. The plants that are in there now are the last plants being put into that room, as his new one will be finished and ready for the next group.

Simple. Bad plant. Bad strain. Bad seeds. Why bother collecting anything from it? Kill it and move on. With a plant count, we can't abide with the slackers.

Hermies in the later weeks of growing are usually caused by light stress from a continuous 12/12 light cycle which is unnatural. I have never understood why very few people don't try to duplicate a natural light cycle that decreases over the entire light cycle.

I duplicate the natural light cycle close to 35 degree latitude starting at 14 hours and ending at 10 and it will eliminate the hermies, will not affect yield and will finish them better. Genetic hermies are overwhelming and will appear much sooner in the cycle.

I've not once, not ever once, even so much as read that particular tidbit before. 12/12 stressing. pfffff...I'm calling shenanigans.

ANY strain can be made to have hermaphrodites and the easiest way to do it is with light stress. ALL feminized seeds are created from hermaphrodites. Give me any strain and I will create hermaphrodites with it just by manipulating the light cycle. I'm not speculating here, I've done it! I never make a post based on speculation its all from LOTS of experience.

You never read about creating a more natural light cycle but I read all the time how people have hermaphrodites. if you want to argue that a 12/12 continuous cycle is natural, go ahead, don't believe me, I don't care. Good luck with your hermaphrodites.

You don't hear a lot about hermaphrodites outdoors do you. It's because the lights are never on for 12/12 every day.

Edited by mzman1968

???

No hermies outdoors? 

I call shenanigans!  Get out the brooms!

Also, explain equatorial strains...

I didn't say there are zero hermaphrodites outdoors, I said there are a lot less occurrences. Yes some phenotypes are genetically disposed to be hermaphrodites but the occurrence is very rare just like it is for humans hermaphrodites. Since you think I'm lying why don't you explain to everyone why there are less outdoors.

If you don't know what an equatorial strain is you're obviously ignorant! It's a strain equal to all others. LOL

Shenanigans? Explain how I will benefit by lying.

Do you want to know why you never read about stuff like this, because idiots like you that don't know bunny muffin want to argue with people that do. You obviously don't have any evidence to support you speculation or else you would post it instead of an BS argument like "Shenanigans".

I'm not going to argue, you're right. Keep telling people what you think and not what you know. Post what you want, I won't be reading it. Goodbye!

ANY strain can be made to have hermaphrodites and the easiest way to do it is with light stress. ALL feminized seeds are created from hermaphrodites. Give me any strain and I will create hermaphrodites with it just by manipulating the light cycle. I'm not speculating here, I've done it! I never make a post based on speculation its all from LOTS of experience.

You never read about creating a more natural light cycle but I read all the time how people have hermaphrodites. if you want to argue that a 12/12 continuous cycle is natural, go ahead, don't believe me, I don't care. Good luck with your hermaphrodites.

You don't hear a lot about hermaphrodites outdoors do you. It's because the lights are never on for 12/12 every day.

Isn't there 12 hour of day and 12 of night at the equator? 365 days of the year. 

the sun can come 'up' and go 'down' within 12 hours, but before it comes up and after it goes down, theres quite a lot of indirect light.

so if you want more 'natural light' you'd need to have different tier lighting systems. probably some cfls for an hour before 12 hours of HPS then another 30m-hour of cfl light after that.

dont even get me started on the moon.

Hahaha...

Ahh yes,... well how about you show any proof that hermies occur less outdoors?  Would love to see that one. Gimme some science.

Until then, I call shenanigans.

It happens less outdoors because of the all at once drop from 18 to 12 indoors.  I've had it happen trying seeds produced outdoors and using them inside.  Some, not all but some of the time the strain is used to a couple minute a day change in light cycle.  I've also used fem seeds outside that I had hermies with indoors and they didn't hermie outside.  I blame it all on the stress of a 6 hour drop in light cycle overnite that some strains and fem seeds see as a stressor enough to try and produce pollen.

If you use a perpetual garden system there is no way to go thru a 1-3 minute drop in light cycle and ramp it back up again.  Everything is at different points of flowering at all times.  I do have 3 lights on 2 timers where they are 1/2 off each other.  One side of the room gets light for a half hour before and the other a half hour later.

And outdoors doesn't cause extreme amounts of stress?  Dark and rainy for 4 days straight. 100 degree heat for days.  etc etc.

I dunno, I have seen hundreds of thousands of plants indoors and outdoors in my days, and I have seen about the same amount of hermies either way.  *shrug*