Question About Hermies?

Me too.  And it seems that some strains and lines take the drop in light cycle much worse than 100f temps and such.   I made fem seeds one of my first grows over 25 years ago.  I had one male flower and it produced 6 seeds at the nodes and they all turned female with no male flowers.  I later collected pollen from late stage banana's and made fem seeds. I've been familiar with hermies for a long time and used them to create outdoor seeds some 20 years ago and stopped. I smuggled seeds back from puerto rico and got 1 of 3 to take.  Inside under 12/12 it hermied and had to be thrown.  Since I didn't know what it was and wanted to get something from it I put 4-5 of the clones I made, which were no good for indoors, outside.  They didn't quite finish like what I got in Puerto Rico but no one male flower on a single clone from it.  Phatt Fruity hermied indoors and outdoors but it hermied right off the bat inside and didn't even produce seeds because it threw a few male flowers about 2-3 weeks before finish outside.  Same with greenhouse seeds bubba kush.  Threw male flowers inside and not a one outside.  These last were from different seeds done inside and out.  the Puerto Rico strain was the only that hermied inside and it's clones didn't outside.  Different plants/strains take different things as different levels of stress.  An indoor bred strain has adapted and been picked for qualities in tune to a very different environment than outdoors and a lot of times you'll have the outdoor strain take indoor conditions as larger stressors and vice versa.  Lemon Skunk I couldn't hermie whether I sprayed it and screwed with the light cycle, nothing worked to get pollen from a female clone.  In my experience though a lot more hermies appear in the unnatural light drop inside than ever appear outside.

At least for me in my experience over 25 years and thousands of plants.  I also used to flower my plants at the 2nd internode to keep size down as I did 4-5 per bucket and pulled the males resulting in 1/8th oz to 1 oz plants(accounting for thousands indoors) and only 4-10 outside every year.  never really had any outside hermies but the sample is MUCH smaller. The early flowering could've also added stress to the 18-12 drop.  Them's my experiences though.

Edited by Norby

I grew with clear panels for awhile and was mystified at the amount of moon light that would enter the flowering room monthly.

I have screwed up lights with failed timers, power outage/timer reset mishaps, moon light too, and never had a hermie that way. The only hermies I had were from seed packs that would hermie largely. most likely due to genetics or breeder room follies.

Here's a quote from DJ Short. 

The "goal" at the center of most of my breeding targets would be to replicate, as near as possible, the experiences produced by the great land-race varieties of old: Highland Oaxacan or Thai, Santa Marta or Acapulco Gold, Guerrero Green, Panama Red or Hawaiian Sativa? or the hash from regions such as Lebanon, Afghanistan or Nepal. The indoor grow environment is too generic to fully replicate the great old legends. Therefore, it was necessary to settle for the next best thing: happy Sativa/Indica crosses that would perform well indoors. (It is interesting to note here that most of the fine land-race Sativa were hermaphroditic, though sometimes only minimally.)