Jame's Story

Let's take thisone step back from this defined outdoor grow which we live with now.

Outdoor grows were to be banned, were drafted to be banned, and that representative I mentioned to bitchh at if ya didn't like the language(Rep. Cavanaugh) is actually the ONLY reason there is ANY outdoor grows in Michigan AT ALL.

Is the language not great? no need to answer

Could it have been better? no need to answer

Is this the best that was possible in the current environment that existed? Obviously

So,... be happy ANY outdoor grows exist because they were a mere whim from not existing.  I mean,.. one bad morning from the republican rep's would have meant NO outdoor growing at all.

Did Rep. Cavanaugh produce insufficient language? Slightly by a couple words as many have said in this thread.

Was it the best he could do in the environment he was stuck in?  Obviously.

So,... bicker and moan as we all did do; but remember, we are fortunate to have any outdoor guidelines whatsoever.

Norby, you make valid concerns, but you are not getting the underlying reality:  At a governmental level, marijuana is still a taboo.  We are very lucky the citizens of Michigan voted this carve out law so we could grow and use.  I attempt in every meeting to keep the intrusions from being as horrid as they could be if written by our nay sayers alone.  But realize the MSP, PAAM, ACLU, CDAM, CPU, legislative staff, and bill sponsors... all get to have a voice.  The results are often times not fully successful for any group.  That is called the art of compromise.  When you parse my words hard, and do not read the spirit of what I wrote, you miss the meaning of my post.  No one puts rippers ahead of patients, rather law enforcement is concerned about crimes and criminals causing problems.  You are missing the point there my friend.  Additionally, our elected officials want a freakin' top.  Is that worth pissin and moanin about?  Are there not better things to put your energy into?

I am not discounting your right to be irritated by the process.  It is a bull in a china shop for sure.  But just complaining is not going to help change anything.

Vote for Schauer and Totten for Gov and AG if you want change.  Vote out Rep's and Sen's who betray your ideals and trust.  Work on a campaign for a candidate of "your" choice.

I often feel a lone wolf in Lansing, but I will not complain, rather I keep at the good work (ala the new conditions panel), (ala suggesting language changes that help neuter some of the worst aspects of bills), in conjunction with Mal, Zap, and members of CPU. 

So your saying the gov't doesn't belong to the people anymore and no politician will stand up for us so we need a revolution and to start hanging the ones putting us in jail in the town square?  I'm with ya!

When the art of compromise puts someone in jail for 5 years and a felony for no chicken wire on top of an outside grow the law fails to make sense and looses credibility for all laws.  I'm only trying to stave off the complete downfall of society here. :)  The politicians should take heed before the absurdity ruins it for the future of all laws.

Edited by Norby

So your saying the gov't doesn't belong to the people anymore and no politician will stand up for us so we need a revolution and to start hanging the ones putting us in jail in the town square?  I'm with ya!

Look Norby. If you are unable to travel to Lansing or to your elected officials' local offices, by all means use other forms of correspondence. I think you will find it a great use of your time and energy. They do pay attention to comments from constituents, and especially if you put it to them in reasonable terms. I know you can do that.

sorry man, that is not what I am saying at all.  I am saying elected officials get to weigh input from many sources, and that is a fact.

I am saying they also get to write laws and vote them in force.

While your statement is mildly amusing, it shows your lack of serious intent to appreciate the real life nature of what goes on.

As Mal adroitly says above, and I witnessed it first hand and did lobby work with Zap first hand first party on this:  there would have been no outdoor growing without Rep Cavanagh's complete support.  He took much of our language and used it. He took much of our concepts and used it.  Did we still cringe when the words were not as perfect as we would have liked?  Yes... but...

I don't think that is worthy of revolution and bloodshed, ever, at all...

I stand by all my kind advice for you in the quote you mention.

So it comes down to growing a couple and participating, or stop whining about your inability to get your way...

Look Norby. If you are unable to travel to Lansing or to your elected officials' local offices, by all means use other forms of correspondence. I think you will find it a great use of your time and energy. They do pay attention to comments from constituents, and especially if you put it to them in reasonable terms. I know you can do that.

Not with unreasonable people.  Ive wrote letters in NY and look what happened in that state.  They just write you back with the excuse of public safety.  How can you fight that?  If they see an unreasonable risk it's hard to quash that.  We saw it from the White House.  Bunk studies used to make national policy.  Sorry but I don't think it will work, esp. writing the one rep who tried and didn't get it right.  Do I write the one who supported us and tell him he did a bad job?

Michelle and I have been talking lately.  She read a book about ASD and is pretty convinced I'm there.  I don't have a good grip on people and feelings.  I'm not very nice when it comes to logic and freedom and laws.  I'm realizing, the more I read, that most of my problems are related to ASD.  I get frustrated and lash out verbally and don't realize that I'm making someone feel bad.  I don't think I'm the right person to be a spokesperson for MJ.  I'd either land in jail or hurt the cause.  Plus my confidence level in public is lacking because of it.  Sorry.

The quote about people swinging in the square was sarcasm, mostly :)  I know it doesn't come across well in type but....  Believe me, you don't want me talking to politicians.

Although i did get them to drop my home value from 175k to 105k and get the city water put in thru my intimidation techniques in the town I used to live in.  I think they did it just to get rid of me because they were scared :)  I had to back up at one point because the tax woman lied to me and said i lied.  I've never thought of hitting a women before and it scared me. Situation I didn't like to be in and could've got ugly but it worked.   I'm not good at all with confrontation and frustration makes me a loose cannon. I'm shaking writing this right now.  I've got problems.

Not with unreasonable people.  Ive wrote letters in NY and look what happened in that state.  They just write you back with the excuse of public safety.  How can you fight that?  If they see an unreasonable risk it's hard to quash that.  We saw it from the White House.  Bunk studies used to make national policy.  Sorry but I don't think it will work, esp. writing the one rep who tried and didn't get it right.  Do I write the one who supported us and tell him he did a bad job?

Michelle and I have been talking lately.  She read a book about ASD and is pretty convinced I'm there.  I don't have a good grip on people and feelings.  I'm not very nice when it comes to logic and freedom and laws.  I'm realizing, the more I read, that most of my problems are related to ASD.  I get frustrated and lash out verbally and don't realize that I'm making someone feel bad.  I don't think I'm the right person to be a spokesperson for MJ.  I'd either land in jail or hurt the cause.  Plus my confidence level in public is lacking because of it.  Sorry.

The quote about people swinging in the square was sarcasm, mostly :)  I know it doesn't come across well in type but....  Believe me, you don't want me talking to politicians.

Although i did get them to drop my home value from 175k to 105k and get the city water put in thru my intimidation techniques in the town I used to live in.  I think they did it just to get rid of me because they were scared :)  I had to back up at one point because the tax woman lied to me and said i lied.  I've never thought of hitting a women before and it scared me. Situation I didn't like to be in and could've got ugly but it worked.   I'm not good at all with confrontation and frustration makes me a loose cannon. I'm shaking writing this right now.  I've got problems.

Then Norby. There are others here that can do and have done the heavy lifting. Hayduke is one of them. Here's a shout out to all of you who do contribute in some reasonable way. We know frustration too, and are glad to pass your concerns along, provided we can frame them inoffensively, sort of. 

Edited by GregS

• 1 year later...

The verdict has been made as I sit at the councils table. She struggles to open the sealed envelope and starts the verbiage used to describe it. NOT GUILTY, Dan pats me on the back as I look to his side. I was poised and never overly excited,just content in the moment. The peace that was given beforehand, was enough to handle whatever the verdict would have been. Now it's uplifted and removed, nice to say that I won't have to deal with it anymore. From Dan's expertise and knowledge capability, this is only the third section 8 case, to ever make it to trail. Let alone win, within 37 mins, after deliberation! One step closer to where God wants me to be, thanks to him, I will find my niche.

The verdict has been made as I sit at the councils table. She struggles to open the sealed envelope and starts the verbiage used to describe it. NOT GUILTY, Dan pats me on the back as I look to his side. I was poised and never overly excited,just content in the moment. The peace that was given beforehand, was enough to handle whatever the verdict would have been. Now it's uplifted and removed, nice to say that I won't have to deal with it anymore. From Dan's expertise and knowledge capability, this is only the third section 8 case, to ever make it to trail. Let alone win, within 37 mins, after deliberation! One step closer to where God wants me to be, thanks to him, I will find my niche.

Again thank you 

This is none of my business but i do wonder how much $$$$ did this all cost you i do understand that no one could put a dollar sign on all the Stress or just fighting for something that you know is the right thing to do 

As you may know i follow a lot of case's and go to Court support all the time i've seen the worst of the worst from (  Mr. Hartwick ) to the  ( Mr.Redden ) case i've seen someone with 169 plants

get Dismissed ( In Oakland County ) i've seen case's where someone spent time in Jail for driving with cannabis in their car in many city's  

What is your feelings on HIPPA ? now that your name is all over the Inter-net like mine and many others ?

I plan on starting something just to start something that if cannabis is a medicine and i do believe it is then why does everyone's  know we use cannabis ?

Edited by bobandtorey

My name is James Rose and I live in southwestern Michigan. I was raided by the state police today. I was in compliance with state law having an enclosed fenced area for outdoor plants. I had 24 outdoor plants within the locked gate system, locked by 2 locks at the gate. I had 32 indoor plants locked with a coded deadbolt lock inside a barn style garage. They took all my outdoor plants because they were saying the top of the fence was not fenced. That violation gave them the right to take everything including the indoor plants that were securely locked. They took all my manufactured and cured cannabis which totaled about 4 ounces. I do not know if I will receive the felonies they listed to me. I will be told via phone.

This is what Detroit Chief of Police James Craig is telling (has told) his lieutenants is Detroit's policy for 2016.  My best black buddy had this happen to him last year in East Detroit.  August 16 of 2015 he got no charges but lost every plant, both in and out, for having no top on his outdoor.  Last week he and his wife went to Detroit Police headquarters and were told the policy in Detroit this year is the same as it was last year.  So buddy isn't growing outside this year.  He says:  i don't care what the law is, everything is about what is going to happen if i don't do what they want.

Congrats to you, James, on your fantastic outcome.  Maybe your case will serve as a precedent for even Detroit PD to drop their requirement for a top.

Edited by pic book

• 2 weeks later...

This case should set a tone but it's now weighing heavy on Dan and his future cases. The judge has pretty much gone off the deep end after loosing my case and making Dans life a living hell. My job is doing the same, so the battle was won, but the war persues. The school has been coming at me with all different angles trying to get rid of me, but now I'm smarter this time around!

This case should set a tone but it's now weighing heavy on Dan and his future cases. The judge has pretty much gone off the deep end after loosing my case and making Dans life a living hell. My job is doing the same, so the battle was won, but the war persues. The school has been coming at me with all different angles trying to get rid of me, but now I'm smarter this time around!

Wow ! 

thanks for the up-date i sure can see things more clearly today people win and you did but the hardest part is the learning thing that you and i know winning is only part of it i'm better today knowing more how things work in a Court room and how one sided it is and has been for a long time when it comes to cannabis the evil Weed 

i hope you keep up the good work because theirs plenty work left to do if we all want to use cannabis as a medicine Imho