Any Bike Riders? (Motorcycles Of Course)

So I'm looking at the Harley-Davidson 2014 Iron-883 as a first bike. It msrps' low for a bike and seems like it would be a solid all around deal, but I want to know if there are any riders here on the board that have any input into the subject. "First bike" is a relative term, I have ridden dirt-bikes before and know how to shift, clutch, etc.

I think its a terrible first bike choice.  You should learn how to ride first on a old bike like a honda 550 or something similar.  I watched a guy crash one of these harley 883's into the curb in front of my house.  It was literally his second hour on the machine and his first bike ever.

Second, why buy a brand new bike for your first?  You ARE going to lay it down.  I'd rather lay down a cheap beginner bike than a '14.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree.  I used to ride but speaking of knees that's why I can't anymore.  Too many people used to be bike snobs and you weren't cool unless you had a Harley.  I love that line though Knucklehead Bob.

I'm lookin' into one of these ,

14-hd-tri-glide-ultra-bs-large.jpg

before I end up in one of these !

19988.jpg

My grandfather has a Trike, Bob. He loves it to death. I've ridden on that thing before too and I can vouch for how smooth of a machine it is. In regards to your concerns Gary, keep you mind I will be participating heavily in their new riders training course, as well as a local one.

Can't say I've ever been on one of the Can-Ams, but they seem like nifty machines. They have a "beefed" up version of those that they will be introducing as small vehicles called the Elio (advertised at 84mpg though, and under 10k to boot.)

In regards to electric motorcycles, I think I'll wait for this beautiful machine to hit the market.

I think I'll stick to buying American, thanks.

Edited by AbominableDro-Man

2015 Indian Scout.  It's 69 cubic inches/1130 CC's.  A relatively low price of $10,990 compared to the rest of the Indian line.  

http://www.indianmotorcycle.com/en-us/stories/2015-indian-scout?wt.mc_id=269FF8D9-B419-E411-8E83-0050569A00BC&wt.mc_ev=email&WT.mc_id=

Got a '47 Chief in the basement on the stand on it's way to restoration .  :))  

Got a '47 Chief in the basement on the stand on it's way to restoration .  :))  

Sweet! Would love to see pics!  I often think about finding a basket-case something or other to tinker with, or just a rolling chassis for a long term build.  But alas, priorities must be set, reminds the wife, like the front porch and the roof. So I'll just go check my lottery ticket now.  :)

Sweet! Would love to see pics!  I often think about finding a basket-case something or other to tinker with, or just a rolling chassis for a long term build.  But alas, priorities must be set, reminds the wife, like the front porch and the roof. So I'll just go check my lottery ticket now.   :)

I know what you mean because I've had it for some time and only have a fresh $ rebuilt $ motor $ . It is/was a mostly there basket when I got it and it's going together $ very slowly $ . At least it's going together . I think I just have too many projects and not enough $  . Good luck on the lottery  :))