Convincing The Skeptical

washtenaut

I have tears. thank you for sharing this.

my dogs tumors also respond positively to every application of the healing oil. Without it she would have been euthanized years ago.

The topical application doesn't seem to affect her mentally or physically in the spots used. I believe an all around moisturizing  lotion containing this oil would

be beneficial to us all

my vet is a holistic animal healer, but I am afraid to broach the subject, what a shame. I fear recourse for the animal treatment.

I tried the pet angle too..... but still they don't love me over there   lol

The board tenants are making calls looking for more tar and feathers.  Wonder what that's all about?

----------------------------------------------------

OK, if you have watched or read about cannabinoids and cannabinoid receptors, you now know that they are in animals too, including pets.

After the jokes die down, if you have an older pet with health issues, it may be worth further research.  Note, I am not any sort of medical professional.

If your pet is tolerating its medicine well and it is effective, certainly do not change anything.   At this point my non-professional opinion would be to consider this option when there isn't really much else that your vet can do.

DO NOT FORCE SMOKE INTO YOUR PET'S FACE.  I am talking about cannabis based medicines, such as glycerin tinctures, for pets, especially pets nearing the end of their life.  Or, the concentrated oil can be smeared onto treats or even right onto the teeth of a pet that has no appetite.  It will be absorbed through the tissues in the mouth as it melts.  Capsules can easily be made from the concentrates if your pet can take them.  Start with the tiniest of dosages and work up to an effective dose.

Why, would anyone do that to their pet, right?  Well, as with people, it largely has to do with positive effects and lack of negative side effects.

The big three positive effects I suppose are pain reduction, appetite stimulation, and restful sleep.  As with people too, an animal will need a few doses to get used to the medicine and may lose some coordination with the initial doses.  Be careful around stairs or drop-offs.  Watch the animal until it falls asleep.  If given a large dose be watchful as the pet could wet the bed.  They sleep very soundly and typically wake up, go outside to do some business, come in, and head to their food bowl.

I guess it shouldn't be all that surprising that veterinarians haven't started reusing it as medicine, at least the vast majority of them.  Few enough doctors believe in the benefits and people are telling them directly.  Not many dogs are talking, even after ingesting cannabis.

I want to mention one, certain to be doubted effect that I witnessed first hand.   The concentrated cannabis oil, when repeatedly applied over the course of a month or two, can shrink mast cell tumors on the skin of a dog.  My dog, due to anesthesia problems could not withstand more surgery.  I had read about this cannabis possibility, had the oil on hand, and so started melting my dog's leg tumor over the course of six weeks.  

When I returned to the same vet that had refused to remove the growth under a local, he was very surprised and wanted to know what I had done.  I only took the dog to clean the wound because  it now appeared that he was going to survive for a while and I was afraid that it might get infected.  After cleaning up the wound area, the vet said, "the growth was now hanging on by a thread, so I removed it and sewed it up"  

Several months later I had to put the dog down.  Eventually his problems compounded and I couldn't take watching the struggle.  On his last morning before our ride to the vet however, he had a good appetite.

Sorry for your loss 

What was the Dogs name ?

Edited by bobandtorey

Since his passing he has transformed into a Saint.  We certainly had some rough patches in the early years.  I remember once thinking that I'd like to neuter him to help correct his bad behavior, but I had already played that card....lol.  

We grew to become great buddies.  We all know our pets don't live forever when we start the relationship but that doesn't mean we don't feel their loss as deeply as losing any of life's connections.

Here was the earlier thread on dogs.    http://michiganmedicalmarijuana.org/topic/42951-medical-marijuana-is-going-to-the-dogs/?hl=kramer

• 4 weeks later...

This possibility seems very exciting given the terrible rise in autism rates

Medical Cannabis May Treat Autism

Once thought to be the sole domain of criminals, jazz musicians, and beatniks, marijuana is coming into the mainstream as a viable treatment for a wide variety of ailments, including autism. For many, medical cannabis is now found to be a treatment that works when all others have failed. After pharmaceuticals cease working and other medically prescribed treatments come up lacking, many parents have found that plant medication is what works for their kids and family.

In addition to the stunning anecdotal evidence, scientists at Stanford and UC Irvine have found that the active ingredients in cannabis, cannabinoids, are indicated in the treatment of autism-linked mutations and Fragile-X syndrome. The Stanford study found that the endocannabinoid system, which is the body’s natural cannabinoid system, was disrupted in autistics, and that marijuana helped the system correct itself.

The UC Irvine study showed that once the cannabinoid system was regulated with marijuana, autistic mice improved in measures of anxiety and open-space acceptance. While neither study found that the plant medicine was a cure, the door is open to further research, giving hope to autistic patients.

Continued at   http://guardianlv.co...-treats-autism/

Or this article from more of a business perspective   http://www.mainstree...-treat-autism-0

This study talks about THC injections bringing on paranoia.  That problem was mentioned in an earlier thread on cannabis use by several posters.

This is also one of the reasons patients do not seem to like using Marinol (synthetic THC) as much as the whole plant or whole plant extracts, in my opinion.  I believe that the CBD lessens the anxious feelings but the researchers weren't looking at CBD in this study.  Cannabinoids working in concert has been called the 'entourage effect'.

Study Sheds Light on Marijuana and Paranoia

By Peter Russell
WebMD Health News
Reviewed by Rob Hicks, MD
July 17, 2014 -- An in-depth investigation has concluded that people who smoke marijuana are much more likely to have paranoia than people who don't use the drug.
The study also identifies psychological factors that can lead to feelings of paranoia in people exposed to the main psychoactive ingredient in marijuana, THC.
(continued at link)

http://www.webmd.com...2314_hdln_2&mb=

A new study suggests that a few strong whiffs of black pepper can calm anxiety brought on by marijuana
How Black Pepper relieves Cannabis Anxiety

By Owen Smith   — 17 Jul, 2014

http://cannabisdiges...nnabis-anxiety/

From the article

While working at the Victoria Cannabis Buyers Club I was able to teach some of the members about Black Pepper. While benefiting from the medicinal effects of THC, these patients suffered from bouts with anxiety while medicating.

Most patients who have tried this simply took a few sniffs of the black pepper to receive an almost immediate effect. Others have reported that after chewing on pepper corns they felt relief within an hour...

The role of cannabinoids in prostate cancer: Basic science perspective and potential clinical applications

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC3339795/

Indian J Urol. 2012 Jan-Mar; 28(1): 9–14.

(From the Study's Conclusion Section)

It is our conclusion that it would be of interest to conduct clinical trials involving medicinal cannabis or other cannabinoid agonists, comparing clinical markers such as PSA with controls, especially in men with bone metastatic prostate cancer, whom would not only benefit from the possible anti-androgenic effects of cannabinoids but also from analgesia of bone pain, improving quality of life, while reducing narcotic consumption and preventing opioid dependence.  (See the entire report at the nih.gov link above)

GW Pharmaceuticals  http://www.gwpharm.com  is targeting prostate cancer in their research.  The following is from their site, under the R&D tab, 'Therapeutic Areas', Oncology

The possibility that cannabinoids, including endocannabinoids, may treat cancer is supported by an ever increasing body of available evidence. In simple terms, cancer occurs because cells become immortalised; they fail to heed customary signals to turn off growth. A normal function of remodelling in the body requires that cells die on cue. This is called apoptosis, or programmed cell death and this process fails to proceed normally after malignant transformation. As will be discussed in greater detail below, THC, CBD, and perhaps other phytocannabinoids promote the re-emergence of apoptosis so that certain cancer cell types will in fact heed the signals, stop dividing, and die.

Regarding Prostate Cancer specifically:

Cannabinoid receptors (both CB1 and CB2) are present in significantly higher concentrations in many human prostate cancer cell linesipresenting themselves as a potential target in the treatment of this condition. In addition to this, there is published evidence pointing to a dysregulation of the endocannabinoids in prostate cancer cell lines, further supporting the potential development of cannabinoids for its treatment

Marijuana Treatment for Parkinson's Highlighted in Robin Williams's Death

http://www.mainstree...ss-death?page=1

From the article

Researchers reported that smoked administration of the drug created "significant" improvement in the symptoms suffered by research subjects including dramatically decreased rigidity, tremor and pain and increased ability to properly rest. Patients also reported that the effects lasted for as long as three hours. No adverse effects were reported.

This research report is pretty technical but it gives an intro to this topic.  Published online Mar 5, 2014

Cannabinoids for treatment of Alzheimer’s disease: moving toward the clinic

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC3942876/

From the report

CONCLUSIONS AND THERAPEUTIC IMPLICATIONS

Considering the numerous complex pathological mechanisms involved in the progression of AD, treatments targeting a single causal or modifying factor offer limited benefit. Cannabinoids, however, exhibit pleiotropic activity, targeting in parallel several processes that play key roles in AD, including Aβ and tau aberrant processing, neuroinflammation, excitotoxicity, mitochondrial dysfunction, and oxidative stress. Cannabinoids improve behavioral disturbances, as well.

Then, because of these widespread properties of cannabinoid compounds, targeting the ECS could represent a unique and reliable opportunity to advance toward an effective therapy against the AD. Moreover, cannabinoids might represent a safe low-cost therapy, with their natural origin and low side effects profile. From our point of view, the success of cannabinoid-based therapy in AD could be increased taking into account two important aspects: (i) the use of a combination of compounds that cover the whole spectrum of therapeutic properties described for cannabinoids, i.e., combination of CB1 and CB2 receptors agonists plus CBD, which presents interesting neuroprotective properties spite of its mechanism of action remaining poorly understood, and (ii) the early initiation of the treatment in the neurodegenerative process, which ensures the integrity of the ECS target components and increases the possibility of curbing the exponential degenerative progression toward dementia.

Cannabis finds its way into treatment of Crohn’s disease

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/24356243

From the report

In ancient medicine, Cannabis has been widely used to cure disturbances and inflammation of the bowel. A recent clinical study now shows that the medicinal plant Cannabis sativa has kept its expectancies proving to be highly efficient in cases of inflammatory bowel diseases (IBD).

In a prospective placebo-controled study, Naftali and coworkers (Clin. Gastroenterol. Hepatol. 11,1276-1280. e1., 2013) have shown what has been largely anticipated from anectodal reports, that Cannabis produces significant clinical benefits in patients with Crohn’s disease. The mechanisms involved are not clear yet but most likely include peripheral actions on cannabinoid receptors 1 and 2, and may also include central actions.

There is also this report that I mentioned in an earlier thread

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/23648372

Cannabinoids as therapeutic agents in cancer: current status and future implications
Published: July 17, 2014

http://www.impactjou...233&path[]=3664

From the report

Conclusions and future directions
Cannabinoids exert a direct anti-proliferative effect on tumors of different origin. They have been shown to be anti-migratory and anti-invasive and inhibit MMPs which in turn degrade the extra-cellular matrix (ECM), thus affecting metastasis of cancer to the distant organs. Also, cannabinoids modulate other major processes in our body like energy metabolism, inflammation, etc.

These data are derived not only from cell culture systems but also from more complex and clinically relevant animal models. Before cannabinoids could be used in clinical trials, there is need to explore more knowledge on several issues such as anti-tumorigenic and anti-metastatic mechanisms as well as which type of cancer patient populations would be more responsive for cannabinoid based therapies.

Data presented in this review suggest that cannabinoids derived from different sources regulate differently signaling pathways, modulate different tumor cell types and host physiological system. It is important to understand which of the cannabinoid receptors are expressed and activated in different tumors as each receptor follows a different signaling mechanism

------------------------------
And, from the GW Pharmaceutical website  http://gwpharm.com/oncology.aspx
Info: Cannabinoids in Oncology

The possibility that cannabinoids, including endocannabinoids, may treat cancer is supported by an ever increasing body of available evidence. In simple terms, cancer occurs because cells become immortalised; they fail to heed customary signals to turn off growth. A normal function of remodelling in the body requires that cells die on cue. This is called apoptosis, or programmed cell death and this process fails to proceed normally after malignant transformation. As will be discussed in greater detail below, THC, CBD, and perhaps other phytocannabinoids promote the re-emergence of apoptosis so that certain cancer cell types will in fact heed the signals, stop dividing, and die

This report from the National Cancer Institute is interesting too

http://www.cancer.go...age4#Section_26

From the report

Cannabinoids may cause anti-tumor effects by various mechanisms, including induction of cell death, inhibition of cell growth, and inhibition of tumor angiogenesis invasion and metastasis Two reviews summarize the molecular mechanisms of action of cannabinoids as antitumor agents. Cannabinoids appear to kill tumor cells but do not affect their nontransformed counterparts and may even protect them from cell death.

Multiple mechanisms involved in the large-spectrum therapeutic potential of cannabidiol in psychiatric disorders

Published 5-Dec-2012

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC3481531/

From the Report's Abstract Section

Cannabidiol (CBD) is a major phytocannabinoid present in the Cannabis sativa plant. It lacks the psychotomimetic and other psychotropic effects that the main plant compound Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) being able, on the contrary, to antagonize these effects. This property, together with its safety profile, was an initial stimulus for the investigation of CBD pharmacological properties.

It is now clear that CBD has therapeutic potential over a wide range of non-psychiatric and psychiatric disorders such as anxiety, depression and psychosis.

GW Pharmaceuticals is also investigating the use of cannabinoids for mental disorders.

http://gwpharm.com/p...conditions.aspx

On the basis of laboratory evidence, anxiety and depression are promising targets for cannabinoid medicines and there are some preliminary human data in support of thisi,ii. Emerging evidence suggests that the cannabinoid, cannabidiol (CBD), possibly in combination with other cannabinoids, may have potential utility in schizophrenia not only as an anti-psychotic, but also in the alleviation of the metabolic and inflammatory abnormalities associated with the disease.

CB1 antagonists may have a role in relapse-prevention in the treatment of addictioniii. Other possible targets for the future based on human anecdote or limited laboratory research include bipolar affective disorder, post-traumatic stress syndrome, eating disorders, and insomnia

This is my understanding of how it can be effective on so many illnesses.  

(Recall that I am not a medical professional )

The reason it works on so many diseases is that cannabinoids are similar to our body's own endocannabinoid molecules which are used to regulate very many bodily processes.  The endocannabinoids are used to communicate between many different cell types in our bodies.  Cannabinoid receptors are found in nearly every organ in the body

When we are healthy, we can self regulate imbalances that happen in our bodies.  We are designed to do just that.  Endocannabinoids, as it turns out, are one of the messenger molecules used by our body to self regulate.  This includes things like blood pressure, blood sugar, inflammation response, nerve signals, and more.  Cannabinoids often provide a feedback signal in the messaging process

Consider that if the body is lacking in messenger molecules, the natural re-balancing signals do not get through and so the body does not bring itself back into balance.

We can, in some cases, provide plant molecules that so closely resemble our own endocannabinoids that these are able to function as the messengers.  Once the signals are restored, the body again self regulates and brings itself back into balance.

This is my understanding of how it can be effective on so many illnesses.  

(Recall that I am not a medical professional )

The reason it works on so many diseases is that cannabinoids are similar to our body's own endocannabinoid molecules which are used to regulate very many bodily processes.  The endocannabinoids are used to communicate between many different cell types in our bodies.  Cannabinoid receptors are found in nearly every organ in the body

When we are healthy, we can self regulate imbalances that happen in our bodies.  We are designed to do just that.  Endocannabinoids, as it turns out, are one of the messenger molecules used by our body to self regulate.  This includes things like blood pressure, blood sugar, inflammation response, nerve signals, and more.  Cannabinoids often provide a feedback signal in the messenging process

Consider that if the body is lacking in messenger molecules, the natural re-balancing signals do not get through and so the body does not bring itself back into balance.

We can, in some cases, provide plant molecules that so closely resemble our own endocannabinoids that these are able to function as the messengers.  Once the signals are restored, the body again self regulates and brings itself back into balance.

Cannabinoid Deficiency May Explain A Variety Of Health Conditions http://b4in.org/t2dv

As we know, endocannabinoids are naturally produced within the body and play a major role in overall health. Similarly, medical marijuana and phytocannabinoids derived from cannabis have exhibited a number of therapeutic benefits.

Researchers Propose The Idea Of Cannabinoid Deficiency

The list of conditions tied to cannabis is wide-ranging and steadily growing. Whether cannabinoids are providing relief from migraines, fibromyalgia, or irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), the mechanism involved is largely the same; success is often attributed to activation of the body’s cannabinoid receptors.

Striking similarities between a wide variety of conditions, each shown to respond well to cannabinoid treatments, brings about an interesting question.

Is it possible that a “cannabinoid deficiency” could be the underlying cause of these ailments? A number of researchers believe that just may be the case, Ethan Russo: Clinical Endocannabinoid Deficiency

Dr. Ethan Russo is the Senior Medical Advisor at GW Pharmaceuticals, the company responsible for Sativex and Epidiolex. One of his most notable contributions to cannabis knowledge bank can in his study “Taming THC,” in which he discussed the synergistic effect of terpenes in cannabis

“Deficient cannabinoid levels may be the underlying cause of numerous conditions alleviated by cannabis.” - Ethan Russo.

In 2004, however, Dr. Russo proposed the idea of clinical endocannabinoid deficiency (CECD) in a study published in Neuro endocrinology letters. He suggested that deficient cannabinoid levels may be the underlying cause of numerous conditions alleviated by cannabis.

“Migraine, fibromyalgia, IBS and related conditions display common clinical, biochemical and pathophysiological patterns that suggest an underlying clinical endocannabinoid deficiency that may be suitably treated with cannabinoid medicines,” he explained.

I am not a medical professional either  :)) 

Chronic Pain And The Therapeutic Benefits Of Medical Cannabis

http://www.medicalja...dical-cannabis/

From the article

The fact that these receptors are found in the two major body systems responsible for producing the sensation of pain, the immune system and the nervous system is what gives cannabis its therapeutic relevance in the chronic pain space.

Additionally, and importantly, there are a lack of cannabinoid receptors in the brainstem region, the area of the brain responsible for controlling breathing, thus the dangerous side effect of respiratory depression found with high dose opioid use, is not a factor in cannabis therapy.

In practical application, cannabis therapy can be used in conjunction with other chronic pain therapies. In his clinical practice, Dr. Rabe reports, “We have many patients who come in on higher doses of opioid medications. Through using cannabis, in conjunction with other therapies, they are able to lower their daily opioid requirement.”

This is a fairly recent overview/study of the subject

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC3820295/

Clinical endocannabinoid deficiency (CECD) revisited: Can this concept explain the therapeutic benefits of cannabis in migraine, fibromyalgia, irritable bowel syndrome and other treatment-resistant conditions?

30-Jun-2014
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/24977967

From the Conclusion section of the report

Subsequent research has confirmed that underlying endocannabinoid deficiencies indeed play a role in migraine, fibromyalgia, irritable bowel syndrome and a growing list of other medical conditions. Clinical experience is bearing this out. Further research and especially, clinical trials will further demonstrate the usefulness of medical cannabis. As legal barriers fall and scientific bias fades this will become more apparent.

This is also an interesting article
Cannabinoid Deficiency May Explain A Variety Of Health Conditions

http://www.medicalja...lth-conditions/

A Glossary to Help in Deciphering the Research Studies

Thanks to poster 'in vivo' at the Michigan Medical Marijuana Association board, here is a glossary of terms with wiki links.  The research reports that I linked to above use a lot of unfamiliar terms, at least to most of us.  You might find this helpful.

http://michiganmedic...44364-glossary/

From the link

An agonist is a chemical that binds to some receptor of a cell and triggers a response by that cell. Agonists often mimic the action of a naturally occurring substance. Whereas an agonist causes an action, an antagonist blocks the action of the agonist and an inverse agonist causes an action opposite to that of the agonist.

Here are listed some of the medicinal properties of THC for those that feel it is just for stoners.  This info is from the link below.

THC is a partial agonist at CB1 and cannabinoid receptor 2 (CB2) analogous to AEA, and underlying many of its activities as a psychoactive agent, analgesic, muscle relaxant and antispasmodic.  Additionally, it is a bronchodilator, neuroprotective antioxidant, antipruritic agent in cholestatic jaundice  and has 20 times the anti-inflammatory power of aspirin and twice that of hydrocortisone. THC is likely to avoid potential pitfalls of either COX-1 or COX-2 inhibition, as such activity is only noted at concentrations far above those attained therapeutically.

This table shows the medicinal effects of the various cannabinoids and terpenes.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....946/table/tbl1/

Taming THC: potential cannabis synergy and phytocannabinoid-terpenoid entourage effects

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC3165946/

Old dope, new tricks: the new science of medical cannabis
26 August 2014, 9.48pm BST

http://theconversati...-cannabis-30828

This is from an Australian article

THC clearly has important therapeutic effects in multiple sclerosis and pain, in stimulating appetite in HIV or cancer patients, and even for anxiety disorders, such as post-traumatic stress disorder.

No medicine is perfect: opiates control pain but may be addictive and constipating; antidepressants lift mood but may numb you out and ruin your sex life; statins can lower your cholesterol but can cause muscle wastage. All drugs are poisons, it’s just a matter of the dose you’re taking.

Cannabis has its own positives and negatives, and the risks involved in its regular use, particularly during adolescence, continue to be well ventilated. But if we’re clever about our use, then it can be a most valuable therapeutic: a voyage of rediscovery is long overdue.

Why is it so "funny" to some people that are ignorant of the benefits of MJ? What are they afraid of? And why haven't the greedy politicians jumped at this new tax revenue? Reminds of that Beatles song," Piggies." Wash, don't ever be afraid to stand up for the truth and the right way. Never sit on your hands when you know what you are doing is right. No matter what your just cause is. Let people call you names,they are the ones that are wrong,not you.

I would point out that studies sponsored by the National Institute on Drug Abuse, until very recently, were designed to show the harm of cannabis rather than its possible medical benefits.  Keep that in mind when reviewing the studies.

Cannabinoid and opioid interactions: implications for opiate dependence and withdrawal.

17 September 2013

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/23624062

From the research report

Research over the past decade has shed light on the influence of endocannabinoids (ECs) on the opioid system. Evidence from both animal and clinical studies point toward an interaction between these two systems, and suggest that targeting the EC system may provide novel interventions for managing opiate dependence and withdrawal.