Getting Bigger Yields?

mdc623

Hello everybody, I wanted to get some advice and feedback about getting bigger yields.  I consistently only get a max of about 1.5 oz per plant.  I use a 1000 watt hps light so I don't believe lighting is a problem.  I am thinking that my fertilizer could be the problem.  I use iguana juice bloom organic fertilizer only and water with it every other watering.  I used to use iguana juice grow for veg. but stopped when I was told it is not necessary and affects cloning when using fertilizer in veg. (please correct me if that is wrong).  I veg my plants under a 90 watt LED light and 3 other 50 watt compact flourescents so I am not sure if that is enough.  Can somebody recommend a non-organic fertilizer set of products that would get my yields over 2 oz per plant? Or any other recommendations would be much appreciated.  Thank you. 

Your yields will depend on a number of factors, mostly, in my experience, depending on the maturity of your plants before they are put into bloom. That is a trade off in bringing them along quickly v taking extra time to bring them to harvest. Otherwise there is a remarkable increase in hydroponically produced cannabis as opposed to growing in soil. 

Edited by GregS

No clue on your medium but...

typically fert isn't the problem in soil

Pot size is the key unless you are doing hydro

Too many people think that placing a plant in a 5 gallon bucket is the answer but I stagger my grow containers in stages

Beer cup - 1/2 gallon - gallon- 3 gallon 

This stagger is how I get 4 ounces from even low yield strains in 5 gallon containers

I average at least 2 ounces  in 3 gallon

Pushing fertilizer is usually worse than slow and steady

My best results are fewer plants and scrog

Downside is longer veg time

Edited by Beans

veg lights should be supplemented with t5 or metal halide, and duration increased. Most will veg and increase in root size, height, and girth. with some topping at 10 inches you'll have a bush of colas in no time. I veg about 40-60 days and flower for around 60 days/full cloudy trichomes. Your fertilizer is an awesome choice, and you can use half of the directed amount when using foxfarm/happyfrog/promix soil substrate. a little in veg is fine, but with those soils together veg will be ok for a month or so in a couple gallon pot. I clone in a medicine cup, root in a beer cup, veg and flower in a square 2 gallon pot. I used to use one gallon bags and loved them except supporting 4 foot plants with a one gallon base was difficult. 1.5 oz is not too shabby, clip clip, top top in veg, you could double that harvest.

One of the keys is to have a good veg. As some folks have already stated, giving the plants more time in veg is your first step to a bigger harvest. Take care of things early on and you will be rewarded.

Folks are also pointing out another big variant, which is your soil/mix. I'd look at adding some things to promote soil life. I'm no expert on the AN line, so maybe the iguana juice has you covered, but I always add a fish/kelp/sugar combo throughout veg and a few weeks into flower to support soil life. Look for a microbial stimulant if you think it may help.

Lastly, top, bend, fim those plants the best you can. Again, as other people have noted, more light in veg is going to boost vigor.....that in turn will allow you to top, bend, trim, and fim. Do these things before your plants are put on 12/12. Only stress plants if necessary when they are in flower. Transplant a week or so before 12/12 if you transplant before flowering.

no one suggested a higher yielding strain?

plant pot size, lights, veg time, water schedule, water quality , soil and water ph, temperatures, root oxygen levels and fimming/topping/lst are the top yeild checklist items.

ferts dont affect yields that much as far as i remember.

you know the basics right? 

plants like 75-85F

roots like 60-70F

ph is 6.3 for water/soil? but can use different ph if you use cleaner water (spring water or rain water). remember to get rid of chlorine from your tap water!

need some air circulation for transpiration.

make sure your plants are planted at the right depth. you can pile dirt up the stem until the first set of seed leaves. the plant will make roots out of its stem. like tomatoes/peppers.

inspect your roots after harvest. show us pics and we'll judge your roots.

you should fix your possible problems before trying yeild boosters.

i think CO2 is a good yeild booster, but thats for advanced growers imo.

good luck.

Edited by t-pain

no one suggested a higher yielding strain?

plant pot size, lights, veg time, water schedule, water quality , soil and water ph, temperatures, root oxygen levels and fimming/topping/lst are the top yeild checklist items.

ferts dont affect yields that much as far as i remember.

you know the basics right? 

plants like 75-85F

roots like 60-70F

ph is 6.3 for water/soil? but can use different ph if you use cleaner water (spring water or rain water). remember to get rid of chlorine from your tap water!

need some air circulation for transpiration.

make sure your plants are planted at the right depth. you can pile dirt up the stem until the first set of seed leaves. the plant will make roots out of its stem. like tomatoes/peppers.

inspect your roots after harvest. show us pics and we'll judge your roots.

you should fix your possible problems before trying yeild boosters.

i think CO2 is a good yeild booster, but thats for advanced growers imo.

good luck.

All very good words their T-pain thanks  using the co2 is how i would grow also

Thank you all for the great advice.  I am going to add some light to my veg room and try the staggering method beans mentioned and start to scrog.  I definitely do need to start a journal/calender too.  I'm glad I didn't just go out and spend $200 on a new line of ferts so thank you all for that haha

Thank you all for the great advice.  I am going to add some light to my veg room and try the staggering method beans mentioned and start to scrog.  I definitely do need to start a journal/calender too.  I'm glad I didn't just go out and spend $200 on a new line of ferts so thank you all for that haha

Around here you would divide that 200 savings between those that posted and helped you save that money................. The thing is to be completely honest with yourself in which ones really helped you........... Just kidding.......... Happy growing my friend and don't forget to give a little love to those plants as well...........

Hello everybody, I wanted to get some advice and feedback about getting bigger yields.  I consistently only get a max of about 1.5 oz per plant.  I use a 1000 watt hps light so I don't believe lighting is a problem.  I am thinking that my fertilizer could be the problem.  I use iguana juice bloom organic fertilizer only and water with it every other watering.  I used to use iguana juice grow for veg. but stopped when I was told it is not necessary and affects cloning when using fertilizer in veg. (please correct me if that is wrong).  I veg my plants under a 90 watt LED light and 3 other 50 watt compact flourescents so I am not sure if that is enough.  Can somebody recommend a non-organic fertilizer set of products that would get my yields over 2 oz per plant? Or any other recommendations would be much appreciated.  Thank you. 

How many of those 1.5 oz's do you have per light? If you have 20-25 I'd say you are doing fine. If not maybe some better lights for veg are in order. I use 600's for veg and pull 10-12 oz's a plant but only can fit 4 under each 1000 watt light.

Around here you would divide that 200 savings between those that posted and helped you save that money................. The thing is to be completely honest with yourself in which ones really helped you........... Just kidding.......... Happy growing my friend and don't forget to give a little love to those plants as well...........

Ok ozzrokk, the checks in the mail haha

How many of those 1.5 oz's do you have per light? If you have 20-25 I'd say you are doing fine. If not maybe some better lights for veg are in order. I use 600's for veg and pull 10-12 oz's a plant but only can fit 4 under each 1000 watt light.

shishka, I'm getting about 1 to 1.5 oz per plant off of about 7 or 8 plants per 1000 watt light.  I am vegging in a 4 by 4 tent that is about 7 feet tall.  Sometimes I cram about 20 plants in the tent so I think I might need more space if I am to get more light in there or maybe just do about 6 plants and grow them bigger.  What do you think? I was using 3 gallon bags but just started using 5 gallon instead. 

10-12 ounces is a ridiculous weight for a caregiver to tend to, as well as being a lot of weight to have drying according to the law. If one plant develops an issue, 10 ounces is sometimes a registry of 5 patients total monthly. Growing several smaller ones allows some buffer for garden issues, power failures, and a stellar selection of genetics year round.

10-12 ounces is a ridiculous weight for a caregiver to tend to, as well as being a lot of weight to have drying according to the law. If one plant develops an issue, 10 ounces is sometimes a registry of 5 patients total monthly. Growing several smaller ones allows some buffer for garden issues, power failures, and a stellar selection of genetics year round.

Wait... wait.... you are killing a very successful grow and calling it ridiculous...hold your roundup.

If it's not your cup of tea then it's not. But is it really ridiculous? Sounds great to me. Get er done. If you are not flinging your stuff all around flagrantly, and you are in a position of strength, cops are not yield police normally. 10 ounces on a plant is like heaven on Earth to most of us.

shishka, I'm getting about 1 to 1.5 oz per plant off of about 7 or 8 plants per 1000 watt light.  I am vegging in a 4 by 4 tent that is about 7 feet tall.  Sometimes I cram about 20 plants in the tent so I think I might need more space if I am to get more light in there or maybe just do about 6 plants and grow them bigger.  What do you think? I was using 3 gallon bags but just started using 5 gallon instead. 

So many factors go into yield. Are you topping your plants? How long do you veg them for? It should be easy for you to get your yields over two ounces per plant, it may just come down to time and having patience in veg.

If you are only getting 1-1.5 per three gallons of medium there is no reason to go up to a five gallon pot. I would recommend maximizing the three gallon first. You should be able to hit 3 ounces rather easily in that size pot if in soil. Simply switching to more medium without adjusting other factors will not help and may very well hinder your plants as they sit with water logged roots due to the root system being too small for the pot. If you have the three gallon pot full of roots before flower I'm sure you would be yielding more than you currently are.

Sounds like a good book or growing oriented forum would be of help.

I'll agree, it's not for everyone...

I kind of feel like you when I see warehouses with 36,000 watts and 72 plants of "legal grow"

Makes me feel like a small fish.

Edited by shishka

what do you mean, high yields????????????

take 3 seeds, say greenthumbs chem# 4 x g13.  veg in 5 gals under 1000 metal halide in promix bx.  feed house and garden.   ppms 800 veg, 1000 flower, ph 5.6. drain to waste.  veg to day 54.  flower under 1800 watts hps hung vertical (3x600s) over each plant. chop at day 110.  the guy who journaled this----seed-to-dry-buds from aug--oct 2013----got 31.5 oz off the best yielding of the three, and only 26 dry oz off the poorest, and 16,800 views and counting...until the site went off the air last may.

about this yield dr. greeenthumbs said oh! zone and g13 in rdwc do 3-4 pounds; and chem#4 x g13 only 2-3 pounds; and greenthumbs noted a state site in maine that journaled those strains in rdwc getting the aforementioned yields.

how these hi yileds were achieved is known.  but u kno, everybody does it their own way and then when own way don't work for crap, comes on here and says, "Why can't i re-invent the wheel?".