Making Washer Machine Hash.

t-pain

12 members have voted

1. 1. washer machine hash

• more than just this guy are using washing machines to extract hash
    • nah its just this crazy guy.
    • no more buying edibles or extracts from dispensaries for me.
    • its not a big deal.
    • its disgusting!

seriously, this is a thing?

a washer machine? you couldnt buy some food-grade essential oil extractor?

you couldnt just use an industrial sized blender or whisk?

or hell, even a power drill with agitator bit and clean food grade bucket?

you had to use a $50 washer you got off craigslist? really?

http://blogs.westword.com/latestword/2014/07/hash_recall_washing_machine_colorado.php

And finally, he says he isn't doing anything out of the ordinary - everyone uses repurposed washing machines in the industry.

real quote or made up? just him or is everyone doing this?

Edited by t-pain

I would also say you can simply refab a washing machine easily. I mean, it isn't like there is much to a washing machine. A motor, a belt, a tub and a valve.  Refab it to be food safe, keep it clean and sterile between uses. No big deal at all.

the top plastic liner, coating on the drum, water intake hoses, valves, outlets, plastics, pump ..... none of these are food safe and can leech out toxins from the plastics. remember the whole BPA plastic thing ?

you can refab it, but you'd have to replace darn near the entire thing, minus the engine and the shell.

you think they refabbed it with a food safe pump?

O345VMV.jpg

Edited by t-pain

oh hey look, theres a video.

is there any other step that you think maybe people dont know about, that would cause some surprise?

any other repurposed tools that people are using in the marijuana trade i should know about?

more video? oh no...

those all look like food grade garden hoses too :)

not sure what i'm complaining about. people in columbia transport this stuff in their butts. must be not a big deal.

tons of videos apparently. enjoy

Edited by t-pain

If you use treated city water in your lines and if you run a quart or 2 of bleach through an empty load then I doubt there is much to worry about.  If you're concern about bpa leaching into your hash but you mow your lawn without a respirator on then I'd say you're misplacing your priorities.  A typical lawn mower puts more crap into the environment than a car does.  And you are breathing that in as you mow.

bpa is one concern. i mentioned valves, gaskets, seals, hoses and the pump too. are all of the lubricants, oils, etc food safe?

do you know what food safe means? do you know why we use food safe materials in food processing?

bleach in an empty load will not reach all of the parts of the machine that touch the product.

a washing machine was not built to be sterilized between runs.

now you want bleach residue in your hash?

your argument is you dont want to use sterilized tools to prepare an ingredient in an edible product?

or that its 'safe enough' for you?  

was thinking something like this:

others may not be as easy to clean:

search for 'candy coating machine' for more.

Lubricants don't get into the water line.  It's a closed system.  No difference between the water running through them or running through your home water supply lines.  You turn on a valve, they open.  Turn it off, they close.  Washing machine hash has been made as long as I can remember.  Don't know of any problems related to it.

As for sterilization, a normal washing machine that is used regularly is pretty clean to begin with.  When disinfecting things one usually uses a teaspoon of bleach per gallon of water.  Running the machine with 2 quarts is sure to kill any bacteria.  You can splash the water on the upper surfaces and wipe them down.  That should be more than adequate.  If you run the machine after the bleach cycle it will be rinsed plenty.  You can actually add household bleach of the unscented variety to drinking water to sanitize it so any minor residual after a bleach run and then a plain water run should be insignificant and no problem.

Add to that that the bacteria that can harm you doesn't generally reside in a washer unless you ran your clothing through after you gutted your deer or ran your shoes through after you cleaned up the dog poop.  Other waterborne issues are protozoa and organisms like giardia.  If that's in your water then you have a problem with the supply not the washer because they don't just pop out of thin air they travel only through water.

BPA leaching isn't usually much of an issue unless you are heating the plastic like cooking something in the microwave.  And I don't know if the washer drum has BPA in it anyway.  Mine doesn't as it is stainless steel.

I think you're creating a whole lotta hoopla over nothing.  If I were going to be concerned about anything concerning marijuana that I didn't grow myself it would be pesticides.

Mold?  After running bleach through it?  Whatever little standing water is in it isn't an issue after the cleaning procedure.  The only water left is the very small amount of residual that is caught between the pump and the drain at the time the pump evacuates all of the water on the drum side of the pump.  There is no check valve on the pump so the water that has run through the pump and towards the drain goes back into the drum after the pump has sucked all of the water out of the drum and sent it to the drain side.

All of your problems are non problems.  You're just looking for something to complain about.  That, or you need to find a problem so you can exercise your solution.

Why not just dry it an kief it?  Seems to me like using water in the first place defeats a purpose.  Why not make a pollen sifter and use a paint shaking machine?  or put a sifter boox on top of a washer or dryer or rig one of those machines with the belt that shakes your waist for you to loose weight?

Again tpain, another non problem.  Even the article you posted gives advice of how to kill bacteria.  It suggests running an empty load.  Hmmm, sound familiar?  Like I said earlier a teaspoon of bleach per gallon of water is what is suggest as a disinfectant.  I suggested running 2 quarts through a washer empty and then running a second "dry" load.  The bleach and hot water is going to kill anything.  Clearly you don't like the idea of washing machine hash and you didn't even know about it until a few days ago.  It has been made that way for decades.  You don't like it so you have a chip on your shoulder and you've decided to be a solution looking for a problem.

I've participated in wash machine kief. perfectly acceptable to me and us. I've never seen a cheapler better solution for a field of mj reduction. I'd be concerned with the ole lady coming home and discovering the shenanigans and noticing the unit is now all clogged up with mj bits, scuffed floor, water mess... best done outside I'd say. 12 plants reduce quick enough with a paint mixer and a five gallon bucket o ice.

Again tpain, another non problem.  Even the article you posted gives advice of how to kill bacteria.  It suggests running an empty load.  Hmmm, sound familiar?  Like I said earlier a teaspoon of bleach per gallon of water is what is suggest as a disinfectant.  I suggested running 2 quarts through a washer empty and then running a second "dry" load.  The bleach and hot water is going to kill anything.  Clearly you don't like the idea of washing machine hash and you didn't even know about it until a few days ago.  It has been made that way for decades.  You don't like it so you have a chip on your shoulder and you've decided to be a solution looking for a problem.

There is a difference between sterile and clean.  Bleach will be reduced in it's ability to sterilize with organic matter present.  Particulate matter(minerals) would still be able to get into the final product.

Any mineral present is something you ingest anyway.  Your dishwasher is no different.  There is a small amount of standing water in it at all times just like in a washing machine.  Guess I had better stop washing my dishes in it as it isn't "food safe." 

This argument is just a bunch of malarkey.  Ever known someone to get sick from washing machine hash?  I remember a while back when Colorado made some guy recall all sorts of food products because he used washing machine hash in them.  They didn't find anything wrong with the products just didn't like that he used a washing machine to make the hash.  Ah what the heck, let's just regulate the hell out of it and leave it to the hands of the government.  That will keep us safe.  Government regulators are your friend.

Ever work in a restaurant?  Doesn't matter how "food safe" the equipment is it is processes and people that make the difference.  If you've worked in a restaurant then you've seen some pretty nasty practices.  My daughter worked as a server in a steakhouse and told me it wasn't uncommon to see a grill cook drop a finished steak on the floor and then just throw it on the grill for another minute or 2 before putting it on your plate.  Think about that the next time you bite into your filet mignon.