Ny Times Calls For Repeal Of Federal Ban On Marijuana

zachw

Neither did the aboriginal inhabitants of this continent . Look what happened to them .

Europeans are bad motherfukkers. It is an embarrassment that I enjoy things because native Americans and other minorities were exploited. Genocide and slavery are the most disgusting things in American history. Monied interests continue to push us into corners. 

Edited by GregS

I don't like that they didn't explain that getting caught with mj usually leads to a drug treatment program.  It did for me and the drug treatment counselors told me they'd sign my release if it was just mj but my drinking needed looking into.  So if I lied about my drinking I wouldn't have had to go to drug treatment for MJ in their eyes.

Nice post, Franks. 

I was trying to recall, when did we start sliding down this slope of political news reporting?  I can recall that in my house growing up, Cronkite, Huntly, Brinkley, and Dan Rather, were viewed as honest, telling it like it was types.  I didn't really know what political party they were in.

Today, there are slants and agendas everywhere.  I do move around to different sources to try to get some balance but yeah, some TV sources, such as FOX and MSNBC, both make me laugh with their shameless bias.

When and where did we start to get such politicized reporting?  Did FOX start this?  Just askin...

I consider that Rush the gasbag started the thing and that he has some serious mental health issues.

They never got into potential benefits but only discussed potential dangers of cannabis in that article. I guess that's fair enough, since they are suggesting legalization without regards to any medical aspects. 

The practice of smoking it appeared in Texas border towns around 1900, brought by Mexican immigrants who cultivated cannabis as an intoxicant and for medicinal purposes as they had done at home.

its kind of bad that the new york times cant even do a little research on the subject of when people started smoking marihuana.

those anti-athsma cannabis cigarettes? advertised in newspapers in 1870.

Edited by t-pain

My my Chauncy,you really are a koolaid drinker aren't you?  Wow you got it all goin on. Is that you backing Hamas and bombing Israel? You're a blowhard like all libturds.  You really do think you are better than other people? Pathetic.

What is a "libturd?"

You do realize that as soon as you start using jr high school terms you loose any credibility, don't you?

What''s your point?

Things were going great until the Great White Christian theft of this and any other continent that they invaded and deem the aboriginal inhabitants as heathen savages that have no God , no law and order . It's a good thing they had those good God fearin' Great White Christians to show them the err of their ways , steal their land and give them God , law and order . Here's the icing on the cake of those allowed to survive , they are still free to leave the reservation .

Edited by knucklehead bob

Things were going great until the Great White Christian theft of this and any other continent that they invaded and deem the aboriginal inhabitants as heathen savages that have no God , no law and order . It's a good thing they had those good God fearin' Great White Christians to show them the err of their ways , steal their land and give them God , law and order . Here's the icing on the cake of those allowed to survive , they are still free to leave the reservation .

I am in complete agreement. It is disheartening to see Native Americans' excessive deference to white ranchers in gas stations and restaurants in Montana and the orchard owners of the Willamette valley and near the coast in Oregon. It is the same with black people in Baldwin. There appears to remain a lot of fear in those populations. Just an observation. At the Indian resort complex in Mt. Pleasant I saw  what appears to be much the same. I found myself overtipping. A lot. I cannot stand to see people grovel for any reason. Because I take that reason to be prior and continuing discrimination it is all the more distasteful. It does me a lot of good to meet minority individuals who have overcome that and found a way to stand as equals.

I lived through most of the civil rights movement and squarely in the intense confrontations and violence of the sixties. Watching Detroit burn is an image I can't unsee. Western American history is rife with massacres and mutilation of Native American populations, and most heinously women and children. Reading that history makes my blood boil. The hatred for Central Americans and Mexicans running from abject poverty and violence to this country that is regarded as the best hope on the planet I will continue to condemn.

Are you kidding me? I think you better watch your posts,it isn't just LEO watching anymore.

I have yet to see much, if any, editorializing with Al Jazeera; a legitimate world news source that covers the most disturbing region on Earth. There is certainly no extreme rhetoric, the kinds we see on Fox News and msnbc. The new "One America" news channel offered with ATT professes to be unbiased, but shows otherwise in its more than occasional jingoism.

We'll have to agree to disagree. There is no other option for me.

Why can't marijuana distribution be handled like liquor distribution? The State of Michigan handled liquor distribution for years and made money doing it until John "Butthead" Engler sold the business to his buddies for a song. The state could contract with private growers and processors and then distribute the product through liquor stores. Easy to set up and regulate..