Our Section 8 Defense And Court Drama...

Geeze Townsend. It's not like you cannot afford to help out from time to time. Your practice relies on writing certs, a lot of certs, which requires little to no medical treatment. It is easy money that permits you to practice within your obvious limitations as a physician.

Expert Witness Fees: How Much Does An Expert Witness Cost?

Expert witnesses are a critical part of most important cases.  The fees an expert witness charges will be one of the factors you consider when selecting an expert.

SEAK, Inc., The Expert Witness Training Company, regularly surveys expert witnesses regarding the fees they are charging.  According to SEAK’s National Guide to Expert Witness Fees and Billing Procedures:

1. 74% of expert witnesses require an up-front retainer.  The median initial retainer fee for an expert witness is $2000.
  2. The median hourly fee for file review/preparation for all non-medical expert witnesses is $245.
  3. The median hourly fee for file review/preparation for all medical expert witnesses is $350 (43% higher than for non-medical experts).
  4. The median testimony hourly fee for medical expert witnesses is $500/hour.
  5. The median testimony hourly fee for non-medical expert witnesses is $275/hour.
  6. On average, expert witnesses who testify mostly for defendants command higher fees than expert witnesses who testify mostly for plaintiffs.
  7. Expert witnesses who testify mostly for plaintiffs are significantly more likely to require an up-front retainer from retaining counsel.
  8. Almost half (47%) of expert witnesses require a signed retention agreement prior to initiating work on a case.
  9. 53% of all expert witnesses have a cancellation policy whereby they retain all or a portion of a deposition or trial appearance fee for cancellations made within a certain specified time prior to the scheduled date.
  10. 33% of all expert witnesses charge a minimum number of hours for deposition testimony.
  11. 31% of all experts charge a minimum number of hours for trial testimony.

Geeze Townsend. It's not like you cannot afford to help out from time to time. Your practice relies on writing certs, a lot of certs, which requires little to no medical treatment. It is easy money that permits you to practice within your obvious limitations as a physician.

Again you show your ignorance.  Medical marijuana is about 1/4 of my practice and the majority of my headaches given the attitudes of prosecutors and the incessant snipping of trolls such as yourself.  In fact, it may well become less in the next couple of months- I've been offered positions setting up programs out of state as a consultant and we are adding non-marijuana related services to the existing offices here in Michigan.  It really isn't worth the hassle sometimes.

But I have a great solution here...why don't YOU be Zaps new expert?  You seem to know everything there is to know about this, it looks like a match made in heaven!

Dr. Bob

Expert Witness Fees: How Much Does An Expert Witness Cost?

Expert witnesses are a critical part of most important cases.  The fees an expert witness charges will be one of the factors you consider when selecting an expert.

SEAK, Inc., The Expert Witness Training Company, regularly surveys expert witnesses regarding the fees they are charging.  According to SEAK’s National Guide to Expert Witness Fees and Billing Procedures:

1. 74% of expert witnesses require an up-front retainer.  The median initial retainer fee for an expert witness is $2000.
  2. The median hourly fee for file review/preparation for all non-medical expert witnesses is $245.
  3. The median hourly fee for file review/preparation for all medical expert witnesses is $350 (43% higher than for non-medical experts).
  4. The median testimony hourly fee for medical expert witnesses is $500/hour.
  5. The median testimony hourly fee for non-medical expert witnesses is $275/hour.
  6. On average, expert witnesses who testify mostly for defendants command higher fees than expert witnesses who testify mostly for plaintiffs.
  7. Expert witnesses who testify mostly for plaintiffs are significantly more likely to require an up-front retainer from retaining counsel.
  8. Almost half (47%) of expert witnesses require a signed retention agreement prior to initiating work on a case.
  9. 53% of all expert witnesses have a cancellation policy whereby they retain all or a portion of a deposition or trial appearance fee for cancellations made within a certain specified time prior to the scheduled date.
  10. 33% of all expert witnesses charge a minimum number of hours for deposition testimony.
  11. 31% of all experts charge a minimum number of hours for trial testimony.

Interesting, considering there are generally weeks of prep, staff time, not to mention travel from Clare to Ironwood, West Branch, Antrim Co, and other points around the state.  Looks pretty in line to me.  In fact, pretty good.  Point of fact, my fee is based on $300 an hour.  Good attorneys, like Michael, charge around $250 an hour.  I don't know for sure what his fee is, but if folks need him and are willing to pay it, apparently it is worth it.  Guess you could say, the same goes for me.

But hey, that's just my opinion.  

Dr. Bob

Edited by Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob you say that mm rec's only represent a 1/4 of your practice, what does the other 3/4 do?  I know you help people with addictions, but I also know you wont be a primary care giver to mm pt's, I asked you myself If I got certed by you could you be my dr. for my other medical needs, you told me no!

It realy is none of my biz what you do and what you charge, so am I to understand that 3/4 of your practice is to get people off of opoids?  I would love to have my primary care dr. renew me and see me a few times a yr for my other needs right down to flue shots.

Im only asking because I want a dr that does family practice and certs, is that to much for me to ask?

Peace

All this talk of expert fees is not pertinent. A certifying doctor testifying on behalf of a patient's certification is not an expert witness.

Good point. Their testimony would require very little prep as long as the chart reflects compliance. Townsend. Do you keep those records current, accurate, and readily available? We cannot simply take your word regarding the ratio of your practice in certs. You have been known to lie. 

All this talk of expert fees is not pertinent. A certifying doctor testifying on behalf of a patient's certification is not an expert witness.

Ah, review the definition of 'expert witness'.  We certainly are.  We are also NOT a party to the case, and had nothing whatsoever to do with the actions that led to the charge.  We are experts for the defense to confirm the validity of the certification, the medical need, the amounts required to treat and are the foundation of the Section 8 defense.  No doctor/expert, no section 8.  That has been shown time and time again and you were there last night on Planet Greentrees and know it to be true.

Dr. Bob

Edited by Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob you say that mm rec's only represent a 1/4 of your practice, what does the other 3/4 do?  I know you help people with addictions, but I also know you wont be a primary care giver to mm pt's, I asked you myself If I got certed by you could you be my dr. for my other medical needs, you told me no!

It realy is none of my biz what you do and what you charge, so am I to understand that 3/4 of your practice is to get people off of opoids?  I would love to have my primary care dr. renew me and see me a few times a yr for my other needs right down to flue shots.

Im only asking because I want a dr that does family practice and certs, is that to much for me to ask?

Peace

Most is pain management, the rest is suboxone therapy.  We are one of the few pain clinics that allow pain patients to use traditional medication and medical marijuana, same with suboxone.  Our suboxone program is full and has a waiting list.  We do not do primary care as a regional practice.  Obviously there is a consulting aspect to the practice as well, and we are adding additional procedures completely unrelated to pain, addiction or cannabis in the very near future.

Dr. Bob

The neurosurgeon was my doctor testifying about my condition, not just an expert witness. Why is it not a good comparison?

Did he, as a medical expert, testify about your physician condition, future treatment and potential for recovery?  Do you know the difference between an expert witness and a witness of fact?  Did you need him to offer opinions?

Think about that and what goes into having an opinion that means something.  Greg doesn't understand that concept well.  If the records were all that were needed, they are provided to the attorney to submit and should suffice.  The reason the doctor is brought in is to validate them and offer an opinion on several issues.  That is one of the reasons they are an expert, not a witness of fact.  My office manager could validate the records.  We don't charge to provide records with a request.

Dr. Bob

It is very possible and likely that your doctor was an expert witness, Restorium. But doctors testifying in a section 8 hearing or trial are not qualified as expert witnesses.

My attorney and I disagree.  I ONLY testify as an expert.  To suggest a treating physician in one case is an expert but because it involves marijuana they somehow aren't makes no sense.

Edited by Dr. Bob

Did he, as a medical expert, testify about your physician condition, future treatment and potential for recovery?  Do you know the difference between an expert witness and a witness of fact?  Did you need him to offer opinions?

Think about that and what goes into having an opinion that means something.  Greg doesn't understand that concept well.  If the records were all that were needed, they are provided to the attorney to submit and should suffice.  The reason the doctor is brought in is to validate them and offer an opinion on several issues.  That is one of the reasons they are an expert, not a witness of fact.  My office manager could validate the records.  We don't charge to provide records with a request.

Dr. Bob

He was all of that. Cross examined and rebutted against another expert witness. All for $800. It was all sworn deposition. I wasn't even there when it happened.

Edited by Restorium2

My attorney and I disagree.  I ONLY testify as an expert.  To suggest a treating physician in one case is an expert but because it involves marijuana they somehow aren't makes no sense.

In light of a straightforward definition of a bona fide relationship, there is little to dig hard about. It is very clear and simple. It's not like motions and briefs must be filed by you.

Do you keep charts current, accurate, and readily available please?

Rule 702. Testimony by Experts

If scientific, technical, or other specialized knowledge will assist 

the trier of fact to understand the evidence or to determine a fact in

issue, a witness qualified as an expert by knowledge, skill, experience,

training, or education, may testify thereto in the form of an opinion or

otherwise, if (1) the testimony is based upon sufficient facts or data, 

(2) the testimony is the product of reliable principles and methods, and

(3) the witness has applied the principles and methods reliably to the

facts of the case.

Rule 702. Testimony by Experts
If scientific, technical, or other specialized knowledge will assist 
the trier of fact to understand the evidence or to determine a fact in
issue, a witness qualified as an expert by knowledge, skill, experience,
training, or education, may testify thereto in the form of an opinion or
otherwise, if (1) the testimony is based upon sufficient facts or data, 
(2) the testimony is the product of reliable principles and methods, and
(3) the witness has applied the principles and methods reliably to the
facts of the case.

The certifying physician is a party to the case by token of the MMMA.