Need New Bulbs... Which Brand?

Letterhead954

It's time to buy new grow bulbs. I've been using Digilux since I started 2 1/2 years ago without any problems. However, the online reviews aren't so good. I use two 1000W HPS lights in flower and one 600W HPS in veg. What brand would you folks recommend, why, and where's the best place to get them? I can't spend a ton of money, and I can get the Digilux 1000W HPS for as low as $55 ea. Thanks for any input.

I use plantmax bulbs, they have almost the same spetrum output as an eye hortilux, for flower, and for veg i use the MH plant max bulbs.. I pay 22.00 ea,, and have seen no noticiable change in plant growth.. I have reccomended them to others and they also see no differece   ....

I order them online form,      https://www.1000bulbs.com/

Edited by Willy

I have used hortilux, ushio, sunmaster, plant max, digilux, and maxlume and probably a few others. I've have not seen any difference. About two years ago I bought four new maxlumes to replace four older bulbs. The store had a light meter so I bought that too. The new bulbs were maybe 5-10% brighter than the old ones. I replaced one bulb and checked output against the others about two weeks later and there was no significant difference. In the months that followed, there was no significant difference in brightness between the new bulb and the other three that were about a year older.

My anecdotal experience told me that unless you want to replace bulbs every couple of weeks, probably there isn't anything to gain in replacing working bulbs. In my experience, the brightness leveled off and then stayed consistent until failure. So I no longer replace working bulbs and am pleased with the decision.

In the past I have given used bulbs to new growers on a shoestring budget. I know of one grower who is using two of these used bulbs three years later and sees no reason to replace them. I can think of better ways to invest in a grow than new bulbs.

Edited by Highlander

I use plantmax bulbs, they have almost the same spetrum output as an eye hortilux, for flower, and for veg i use the MH plant max bulbs.. I pay 22.00 ea,, and have seen no noticiable change in plant growth.. I have reccomended them to others and they also see no differece   ....

I order them online form,      https://www.1000bulbs.com/

i buy from this site as well, and i use a $25 light meter whose needle tells me when to change, and by the way, after i started testing every bulb at least once per month--

my replace-rate dropped by half.   I'm a simpleton and do batteries the same way in my ppm and ph meters.

I have used hortilux, ushio, sunmaster, plant max, digilux, and maxlume and probably a few others. I've have not seen any difference. About two years ago I bought four new maxlumes to replace four older bulbs. The store had a light meter so I bought that too. The new bulbs were maybe 5-10% brighter than the old ones. I replaced one bulb and checked output against the others about two weeks later and there was no significant difference. In the months that followed, there was no significant difference in brightness between the new bulb and the other three that were about a year older.

My anecdotal experience told me that unless you want to replace bulbs every couple of weeks, probably there isn't anything to gain in replacing working bulbs. In my experience, the brightness leveled off and then stayed consistent until failure. So I no longer replace working bulbs and am pleased with the decision.

In the past I have given used bulbs to new growers on a shoestring budget. I know of one grower who is using two of these used bulbs three years later and sees no reason to replace them. I can think of better ways to invest in a grow than new bulbs.

BTW, you cannot receive messages....box full????

• 4 months later...

For people who have bought online, have you had any luck with replacing bulbs that are either a) dead on arrival, or b) die within the 1 year warranty period?  I've heard several stories of people getting a great deal on a bulb via Amazon, etc., but it shows up dead or dies within days, and then the seller refers them to Plantmax for the warranty rather than just treating it as a normal return-and-replace.  Nobody seems to have had success getting through to the manufacturer.

I'd love to save 50% on my bulb purchases, but if I've got no recourse on duds I'd rather just support my local grow store. 

I think you are protected by Amazon as well (within 30 days).

That's where I saw the complaints on the Plantmax.  5 out of 21 reviews were either DOA or shortly thereafter.  It appeared that nobody was compensated.

I've used Hortilux, Plantmax, GE, Philips, Venture, and Digilux and never had a problem with any of them save for a Digilux that only lasted 4 months.  Since I bought it from my local shop they just swapped it out for a new one.

• 1 month later...