Former Medical Marijuana Dispensary Owner Arrested Again On Marijuana And Gun Charges

GRAND RAPIDS, MI – The man who got a plea deal and a delayed sentence for marijuana charges is now in jail after he was arrested again for marijuana and gun charges.

Samer Hamed was a co-owner of the now defunct Purple Med marijuana dispensary at 1365 Plainfield Ave. NE but was one of several West Michigan men arrested in February 2013 when the state courts decided that the businesses did not conform to the Michigan Medical Marijuana Act.

Hamed, 43, pleaded guilty in January to manufacturing and delivery of marijuana and the Kent County Prosecutor’s Office dropped additional marijuana charges and a count of maintaining a drug house.

But because the courts are still trying to work out what is and is not legal under the voter-approved marijuana act, it was agreed that Samer would not be sentenced until November. If the court reversed its decision, Samer could withdraw his plea.

Related: Former medical marijuana dispensary owner pleads guilty to drug charge, hopes for change in law

However, police on May 7 used a warrant to search Hamed’s home near Four Mile Road NE and the East Beltline Avenue where they say they found 20 ounces of marijuana, a rifle and a shotgun.

Hamed is again charged with manufacture and delivery of marijuana, this time as a repeat offender meaning the maximum penalty goes from four to six years. He is also charged with being a felon in possession of firearms, also as a repeat offender and faces a maximum sentence of 10 years in prison.

Hamed’s scheduled Nov. 18 sentencing instead took place on Aug. 5 where Kent County Circuit Court Judge Donald Johnston sentenced him to five months in jail.

Hamed remains in the Kent County Jail on a work-release sentence that allows him to maintain his employment while returning to jail when not on the job. There is no such provision in prison.

Hamed is scheduled to return to court later this week for a probable cause hearing on the new charges.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2014/08/former_medical_marijuana_dispe_1.html

thank you for the stat zap!

maybe the majority of marijuana with a card offenses are taking pleas needing only court appointed attorneys? are you speaking of marijuana with a card issues in particular, or all alleged crimes?

I'd like to know how many people were arrested in 2013/2014 with cards, how many took a plea, and how many of each were repeat offenders?

after the phone call, and the retainer, I'm curious of how many of the actual represented, carded, have prior records. I don't expect you to be able to answer that, but I am curious. Lots of truths reveal themselves when 5k is passed over the table I bet, and the case is investigated. I suspect some callers are shy, or repeat offenders don't need your services maybe. The jails are full of repeat offenders, some who retained private council.

One of the stupidest things in Michigan is a pot store owner. I've been honing my skills of stealth for decades and people open an ILLEGAL POT STORE complete with advertising. This is like a brain surgeon watching someone with a steak knife and a flashlight doing brain surgery. It's actually painful to watch and hear about. 

I know of at least one person who now only occasionaly comes and posts here, before that he was in here all the time, this person got caught growing, than this person got caught growing again, and than this person's aquantance got caught giving meds to a non carded person, and than the grower got caught again!  true story I left out names, but im sure most know who im talking about!

I dont care if i am legal or not if something happened and I got popped, it would not happen too me again, especial 3 times in the same county?

and they try and raise funds here, and I phaqing poor, I would like to start a donation for ME just to live a better life than I can afford, isnt that kinda the same thing? people keep getting caught over and over and ask for help, well for phaq sakes help your self before  yoiu ask me for help!

Peace

thank you for the stat zap!

maybe the majority of marijuana with a card offenses are taking pleas needing only court appointed attorneys? are you speaking of marijuana with a card issues in particular, or all alleged crimes?

I'd like to know how many people were arrested in 2013/2014 with cards, how many took a plea, and how many of each were repeat offenders?

Thanks 

i have posted this on this sire before and someone can look it up Cannabis arrest are up 400% after the Law had passed so IMHO doesn't seam like  Law 1 of 08 is working

very well at least for some but i'am not defending this person because i have no facts yet 

And repeat offenders are often easy targets or ( Low hanging fruit ) and some think they are legal to grow Cannabis 

Peace From

Bob &

People mostly call us to fight marijuana charges because they feel their rights have been violated. I have never had a prospective client lie when asked about criminal history. There is no reason to lie to me, honestly. I always ask, it is important.

Obviously I have none of those statistics you'd like to see, and might like to see them myself, though I doubt they exist. I simply provided the small amount of information I could accurately add to the analysis. It is only worth what it is worth as the observations of one person from one perspective, albeit a perspective with a lot of visibility.

Thank you

If someone had those statistics it would help show how things are and what goes on in a Court room and that is why i can't get them and will never be able too 

Population is up since 08

amount of mj users may be up since 08

amount of repeat offenders is up since 08

some folks don't know what "12" plants mean since 08

some don't understand a clone is a plant is since 08

some cant figure out how to lock a garden door since 08

some growers need to blab to everyone about their garden since 08

repeat offenders have always been low hanging fruit before 08

repeat offenders often drive illegally since their registration in 08

some registrants cant figure out what 2.5 ounces is since 08

growers are less likely to privatize their gardens since 08

friends, fellow growers, dispensaries, hard to tell he difference for some since 08

Growers are allowed to sell to five patients, some cant keep a lid on it since 08

Stink socks have been largely ignored since 08

some difficult parts for many registrants are listed above. I still believe that nobody should be arrested for a non violent cannabis crime, but facts are facts. the rules are easy. a handful of people get caught up with the law. remember, if nobody knew what you were doing, than nobody would know what you were doing. When you tell a buddy, you may have told a neighborhood.

The Act has protected hundreds of thousands of patients and caregivers. To say it doesn't work because you irresponsibly invited the police to your door isn't fair. Perhaps the "Act" has been misunderstood by those few hassled, but most everyone can quickly ascertain the reasons police came in the first place, since08

there may be many points to consider since 08. 2008 was the first year in my life

that I've witnessed people smoking in front of police.

if you're speaking of yourself for instance, you would do well to mention the reason the police even knew you existed in the first place. speak of your room, its lock, your plant count, and the people that you told all about it maybe? I'm sorry you got caught up in the mess B&T, really sorry. I am not picking on you or your circumstance, but to say the act doesn't work is rubbish. It is clearly working for many more than not is all. Statistically following the rules as written, + a spot of common sense= a trouble free registration with no leo to contend with.

if you're speaking of yourself for instance, you would do well to mention the reason the police even knew you existed in the first place. speak of your room, its lock, your plant count, and the people that you told all about it maybe? I'm sorry you got caught up in the mess B&T, really sorry. I am not picking on you or your circumstance, but to say the act doesn't work is rubbish. It is clearly working for many more than not is all. Statistically following the rules as written, + a spot of common sense= a trouble free registration with no leo to contend with.

Thanks

IMHO you may be missing the point i'am talking  about Medical Cannabis

Thanks

IMHO you may be missing the point i'am talking  about Medical Cannabis

feel free to explain exactly how the police knew you.......

You cant continue to act as if this is a trap to ensnare registrants. It isn't true. you broke rules and the police were informed, you got caught, accepted a plea bargain right?

Thanks

No i am not saying the Act is any kind of a trap IMHO the Act is the best thing since  sliced bread for Michigan and the sick that uses Cannabis for medical reasons 

and also i/we didn't break any of the rules of the Act 

And the police found out because Leo called the THC-F to make sure we had our Recommendation i know this because i called THC-F and they told me that 

Thanks again for the replays 

A former marijuana dispensary owner arrested on drug and gun allegations - charges that cost him to lose a plea deal for a delayed sentencing while courts clarify Michigan's medical marijuana law - plans to fight the latest offenses, his lawyer said Wednesday.

Samer Hamed, the 43-year-old former owner of Purple Med marijuana dispensary at 1365 Plainfield Ave. NE in Grand Rapids, rejected a plea deal that would have resolved allegations of marijuana and felon in possession of firearms from a May 7 arrest. Authorities said he had 20 ounces of marijuana, a rifle and a shotgun.

Prosecutors offered him a chance to plead guilty in exchange for taking five years off his potential 10-year maximum sentence if he's found guilty.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2014/08/former_marijuana_dispensary_ow.html

Thanks

No i am not saying the Act is any kind of a trap IMHO the Act is the best thing since  sliced bread for Michigan and the sick that uses Cannabis for medical reasons 

and also i/we didn't break any of the rules of the Act 

And the police found out because Leo called the THC-F to make sure we had our Recommendation i know this because i called THC-F and they told me that 

Thanks again for the replays

how would the police know that you were even @ a clinic, mailed an application, or even who you were? Didn't you plant before the application was even mailed to the state? how did the cops know anything of your garden in the first place? that is the point.

As long as you play the innocent victim card here, I promise to explore your case until I here facts otherwise from you here. Not to place blame, but to clarify your statements each time to new posters. do you have a link to your pdf charges, plea, and warrant?