Local Doctor Sentenced For Kickbacks And Not Reporting Med. Marijuana Certifcation Money

GRAND RAPIDS - An Okemos doctor is sentenced to two years in prison accepting kickbacks and for not reporting cash income from signing medical marijuana

certifications. Dr. Shannon Wiggins was given the sentence in federal court.

A statement form the Department of Justice says, "The convictions arise from an Indictment which charged that between January 2004 and April 2011 Dr. Wiggins

conspired with her husband, Mohamad Abduljaber, to receive kickbacks for referring patients for electrodiagnostic testing. Dr. Wiggins also admitted signing a false tax

return which did not accurately disclose cash income that she earned from signing medical marijuana certifications. "

Abduljaber has entered guilty pleas to the same charges and will be sentenced in October.

Dr. Wiggins was also ordered to to pay $285,781 in restitution to Medicaid and the IRS and to forfeit $550,000. Dr. Wiggins's also loses her medical offices at 4415 Grand

River Ave. and 2310 E. Michigan Ave. in Lansing, a 2009 Jaguar, and a 2006 Cadillac Escalade.

http://www.wilx.com/home/headlines/Local-Doctor-Sentenced-for-Kickbacks-and-Not-Reporting-Med-Marijuana-Certifcation-Moneyy-272349921.html

Edited by bobandtorey

Right Willy, this story is much more involved than just mmj recommendations.

We know how the media loves to spin stories for headlines.

I know several people who had Dr. Wiggins as their PCP prior to Prop 1 passing.

I understand that she is kind, compassionate and caring.  Those I know who went

to her felt blessed they found a Dr. that really cared about them.

I am not condoning nor condemning her actions, only stating what I'd heard.