too hot a mix for me, they include nutrients in the mix,  call it augmented.. never worked well  for me, i finally gave up on soil altogether, went to hydro..... but when i used soil, promix was all i used, from start to finish.. I did soil for a looooong time..

Edited by Willy

I use happy frog/pro mix together for all seedlings/clones since 2008. I have used HF alone and though I didn't find it hot I did find that it might need a tiny bit of help in the drainage department, hence the promix. Using the promix by itself required me to water ridiculously often. I would think it would be super for a drip system though for the fast drainage.

fyi Ingredients: Composted forest humus, sphagnum peat moss, perlite, earthworm castings, bat guano, humic acid (derived from Leonardite), oyster shell and dolomite lime (for pH adjustment).

I'm not denying that this mix could be hot for some seedlings/clones. I know my earthworm farm soil is awesome for flowering plants, not so good for newly rooted ones though.

Yeah I've seen mixed views on this. I've always used HF on ready clones, which worked great of course. But first time doing seeds so want to make sure I get this right. I don't want them to be stunted(or worse ) early on because of the medium. Reason I'm looking for the right medium is because I'm putting them in party cups( germinated in paper towel). With it being my first time I'd rather not mess around with cubes and all that right now. Read a lot about different options and think this route will be the safest, as long as the medium is fine.

I could drain the cups( HF/Perilite ) a few times to lower the ppms. Let em sit long enough to where they are moist and toss those lil magic beans in there. Place the cups in the vented dome with heated mat , wait til they get curious and pop their heads thru the soil then shine the spotlight on them.

Sound good enough?

Then once they reach true veg stage, gain some strength ....treat em for any possible diseases. Spent all month reading about "cannabis aids ". Whether it be broad mites, russet mites, TMV, nematodes...not taking anymore darn chances. Hence the reason I'm starting from seed now. Michigan is no longer safe from west coast problems. But anyways, yeah....I guess Happy Frog. Lol

Edited by WarriorScholar

Willy, I'd love to do hydro but after 3 years of making every mistake in the book with soil(but never twice so give me some credit) I can finally say Ive mastered it. I did however think this 5 other times only to discover growing cannabis is like the movie inception.

Luckily my obsessive ways led to more studying than all my years of school combined(did wander the halls a lot tho) and I can safely say I can now get optimum growth. I know I could in hydro eventually as well but simply can't afford to start.

But speaking of that, I was looking into Hempy buckets. After I'm done phenotype hunting I will probably experiment with those.

i've been growing in Hempy buckets for years and its the easiest way i know to grow some meds...but i've decided to do a grow in dirt and i've been doing some research on different soils and soil combinations...Mibrains posted a soil recipe..KISS using ProMix as a base (available to view on this site)..Subcool has a super soil mix...he states that the best results he's had using a national brand soil as a "base" was fox farms ocean forest mixed 2 to 1 with light warrior..he also names Roots Organics as a good base soil..you can google subcool super soil and read whats he's got to say about a few other base soils as well.....i'm going to run a few beans in each,MiBrains and Subcools soil combo's,both being "water only" formulas,  to see if one has any advantages over the other...i'll say this though,it costs more than a couple bucks to buy the required ingredients to get started even thou you can make several batches over time ...the start up ain't cheap ...i hope this helps...bp

Thanks for the tips.

Yeah ive read about those...organic way..making your own. Obviously the best route and ill eventually get to that but in meantime its either keep going with store bought and treat it ...or hempy's. First time doing seeds so sticking with same soil for now until I find the right pheno's.

And there being 5 diff strains(strawberry diesel, chronic, thc bomb, cotton candy, blue dream) gonna have to pay close attention. Much diff than going with clones.