Armonk Man Faces Federal Charges After Drug Raid

bobandtorey

NORTH CASTLE – An Armonk man who authorities say was part of a 2011 conspiracy to ship and distribute 240 pounds of marijuana was arrested during a raid of his home Thursday morning in which cash, marijuana and heroin was seized.

Dana Lieberman, 46, of 16 Hemlock Hollow Road, is charged with conspiracy to possess marijuana with intent to distribute and possession of marijuana with intent to distribute in a federal grand jury indictment handed up on Tuesday in U.S. District Court in the Eastern District of Michigan's Southern Division. Two other defendants, Kona Barbera and David Fruchter, were arrested in Michigan.

Lieberman, a property manager, developer and investor, was arrested after federal Homeland Security agents with a search warrant entered his house with members of Greenburgh Drug and Alcohol Task Force and North Castle police. Authorities seized $135,000, 10 cell phones, 1/3 pound of hydrated marijuana, what was described as "a small amount of heroin," packaging materials and an alleged "drug ledger" with the names of customers and the amounts they owed from a closet safe in the house.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Douglas Bloom said during a bail application hearing Friday in U.S. District Court in White Plains that the conspiracy charges stem from a 2011 incident in which Lieberman was to receive 100 kilograms (about 240 pounds) of marijuana from a Dutchess County-bound aircraft that was intercepted by authorities.

Lieberman, who spent 9 months in a Cayman Islands jail in 1999 on a drug charge, faces a minimum five-year prison sentence if convicted.

"To say that this case is a strong case is an understatement," Bloom said, describing Lieberman as "a significant flight risk."

Lieberman's lawyer, Philip Russell, told Magistrate Judge Judith C. McCarthy that his client "has strong family ties and has no place to go ... His hope is that he can travel to Michigan as needed (for court). He plans to plead not guilty."

Lieberman, wearing jeans and a black Harley-Davidson T-shirt, nodded in agreement. During a break in the two-hour proceeding he turned to Bloom and said he was not a flight risk.

"I'm not afraid of this," he said. "I face everything in life, and I'm going to face this. I'm going to beat it."

Bloom did not respond.

After considering the arguments, McCarthy denied the bail application and ordered Lieberman held, but said he could make another bail request to the federal court in Michigan; Russell said he will be in touch with authorities there next week.

"I'll go there and make the same application we made here," he said.

http://www.lohud.com/story/news/crime/2014/08/29/armonk-man-faces-federal-charges-drug-raid/14794491/

Years ago we used to steam compressed bricks to fluff them up again. That's the only thing I can think of as 'hydrated marijuana'.

Yep that was the standard practice for those over compacted bricks I hated that they would squish it together so tight it would break apart any seeds that were in the brick .

Yep that was the standard practice for those over compacted bricks I hated that they would squish it together so tight it would break apart any seeds that were in the brick .

I learned my lesson with a pound of Jamaican. I tried to break it apart with my hands and ended up with a bag of half seeds and half dust.