Dr00G D0Gs

Most of us know that drug dogs are used in cases which involve no probable cause and thus a way to stomp all over our 4th amendment protection against searches.  Drug dogs commonly make mistakes and have about the same probability of false positive as flipping a coin with Abraham Lincoln on it.  Recently, in New Mexico, a drug dog named LEO, who police claim is extremely well trained at detecting narcotics, led police to two separate incidences of false positives.  Both of these separate incidences resulted in detaining the driver and bringing them to the hospital to be anal probed; after hours of anal torture, no drugs were found, while the innocent victims were sent a $1000 medical bill from the hospital.1 ,2

Since the introduction of legalized cannabis in Colorado & Washington, police have had to reevaluate their dogs training on picking up narcotics.3  Drug dogs do not signal any differently for Marijuana, cocaine, methamphetamine, heroin; to the dog, it is all the same.

Recently, I was stopped by a MSP trooper with a K9 unit for having a 2"x3" parking pass on my rear view mirror.  The parking pass sticks out maybe 1" more than my mirror.  He claims you are not allowed to put anything on your mirror while driving.  Michigan state statue seems to say otherwise.4  He immediately asks me to step out of the car and come sit in his car.  I exit the vehicle but decline to sit in his car.  After interrogating me with questions, he asks about narcotics.  I say, "no."  Then he asks about marijuana and says "i dont care if you have a small personal amount, i just want to know and will not arrest you".  I hesitate and say "Yes I do have my medicine in a locked enclosed container in my trunk."  He asks to see it and see that it is transported properly.  After all of this, he tells me to stand next to his vehicle while he interrogates my passenger.  He asks the passenger the same questions and then goes on to ask if he brings his drug dog out will it hit on the car for narcotics. We tell him we have no idea what his dog will do but we are not transporting narcotics or weapons of any sort.  Finally, he lets me go on my merry day after a hardcore shake down.  Which finally leads me to my question and discussion for the members here:  Because I am a patient and have had marijuana in the car, i absolutely believe the dog would hit on my 30 year old vehicle.  If the dog hits on my car and he searches my car and finds nothing but my marijuana, what type of consequence can follow for the trooper?  Or could I possibly be compensated for my time?  After all, I would have been detained on the side of the interstate for hours without probable cause when I did not a darn thing wrong.  Is this something an attorney might pick up or is it a total waste?  How can us patients avoid being harassed by law enforcement with drug dogs?  I really hate traveling because is it your most vulnerable exposure to police; they can do whatever they want.

1.) http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2014/01/14/new-mexico-man-given-forced-colonoscopy-by-cops-wins-16-million-settlement

2.) http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/11/06/1253597/-Another-outrageous-traffic-stop-in-New-Mexico#

3.) http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-08-22/drug-sniffing-dogs-pose-a-problem-in-states-that-legalized-marijuana

4.) http://www.legislature.mi.gov/%28S%2813y3vd45lx3hhneoeeu31155%29%29/mileg.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-257-709

Edited by garyfisher

Why can cops lie like a sack of poop? And get away with it?Take YOUR dog with you next time.

My dog was with me in my vehicle.  It would have been a showdown to the death.

I really want to complain to his superior but I doubt it will result in anything besides a waste of my time and breath.

Either way, this was a waste of my time, which made me late for work.  Meanwhile, FIBs are speeding down the interstate while texting and driving erratically.

Edited by garyfisher

MSP has harassed me twice, including handcuffing me, abandoning my vehicle off the side of a road, taking me to their station, only to let me go (w my legal meds), but walk back to my car. Not even a ticket, though they had nothing to cite me about. Took about 2.5 hours in total. We had a debate about mmj in the car though, lol.

There's a group called Freemen, which I only bring up becausr they have a theory about holding a fee schedule for illegally detaining & what not. You basically present it to them at the time you feel your rights are violated & then perform collections on them afterwards, right down to going to court. Not well versed, but recall reading a bit here & there. They don't feel requiring to register is legal & have a whole doctrine about how to fight them. It's an interesting response to all the overcriminalization.

I have heard that they are phasing out drug dogs sniffing for mj.  I can't remember where i saw the article though.  I also don't know how long that takes the phase out the ones that do sniff for MJ.

They said they were going to phase out drug dogs at Colorado airports. Then some 'groups' complained that would just open the door to smuggling out of Colorado. I don't think it was ever implemented due to bribes to Colorado politicians.

Why bother? They have the TSA to let anything or anyone through. They bout went running when I told them I have an ostomy pouch. Please,DO check it!

BRILLIANT...

i had one..i so remember how it feels to contain "waste" in a bag... strapped to my midsection...

life is so strange...

truth be told...it would be a great place to "hide" things.. so long as you are prepared to rinse...then repeat..

MB,don't you remember the poor old fella at Metro that had a urostomy pouch,they pulled on the tubing so it became disconnected. In public,this poor man had pee running down all over him,they would not hold the plane so that he could clean himself up. He had to get on that plane and his RN had to try and change his clothes and ostomy items in the airplane crapper. Man that was a big story to us ostomates. How humiliating. Even people with prosthetics and other disabilities have had to fight for our rights to be treated the same as anyone else. I bet you already know that. United Ostomy Association backed a bill and fought for it..Once the chick from TSA saw my supplies packed,she didn't mess with me. So,never mess with a person with an ostomy bag.....they might fling it at you,BWAHAHAHA! A REAL LOADED beatch slap! :lol:

So,never mess with a person with an ostomy bag.....they might fling it at you,BWAHAHAHA! A REAL LOADED beatch slap! :lol:

:)

too funny... sorta..

it is really sad how the "security" forces tend to treat medical people...

i am so fortunate i did not have to travel during the 6 months i had my ostomy bag connected while i was waiting for my colon to heal before reconstructive surgery..

so many people cannot understand the dignity issues that arise when a persons colon fail's and they are reduced to using a man made body worn waste disposal catch system when their body needs to immediately dispose of daily byproducts...

thank you Jointedone for helping me laugh out loud tonight :)

Edited by mibrains

If I wouldn't have had support from other ostomy pts,I wouldn't have been able to get through it. Thank God for Cleveland Clinic. I'm not ashamed to say I left my butthole in Ohio.....M GO BLUE! :butt2:   Us ostomy pts can be real funny,you can laugh about it or cry. Or both. I met many decent compassionate people with ostomies ,all ages,from chidren to oldsters and most are MMJ all the way. But we were all so angry about what  the TSA did to this poor old guy in public,that the UOA got a federal bill passed on procedures for searching people with prosthetics and other medical devices. And nobody can ever call me a butthole................ ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Gary he let you go because you did not consent to a search or fall prey to this LEO's vile ways..

great job ! !

it is so important to know your rights.

never ever consent to a search.. even if they did call the drug dog up... keep your ground.. never consent.. once you have explained the reason a dog would hit on your vehicle it stands to evidence that they can't use that dog hit for a probable cause warrant.

keep in mind a dog showing a hit only indicates drugs are present and a crime exists.  now with legal cannabis that is simply not true so the entire premise cannot be enforced.

its important to know when to fight or argue your position and when to shut your mouth and have your rights violated by LEO.