Rental Inspections

cindy48647

I hope Mr komorn or any other attorney can answer me this important question.
I had a rental inspection today and hid the fact that I'm a caregiver. I turned lights and fans off in my room in the basement before the city inspector came.
The room in my basement has 3/4 inch plywood walls and a locking door.
The electrical box , smoke detector, furnace, hot water heater are not in my room, so i thought there would be no reason for him to want in there, well he thought differently , he wanted to go in there to make sure it wasnt a bedroom, i told him he could not go in there , i told him it was my office and storage, he told me he would come back to inspect it at another time.
Do i have to let him in there? The act says no one goes in the room accept the caregiver and their patient, one attorney said I' m entitled to a certain amount of privacy.
The attorney said once i told the inspector that it wasnt a bedroom , that should have been the end of the conversation.
Plus i dont want anyone from the city knowing im a caregiver.
Help, anyone?

many people have had inspections... maybe just tell him whats up and let him inspect it.

technically no one is supposed to be in there, but in my non-legal opinion, you would be ok to let him inspect the room itself.

bet the city guy has seen it already in other peoples houses.

or you can just move all your plants to another room while hes in there.

good luck.

The landlord knows I grow , the issue is the law states no one is allowed in there.

inspectors concerns were if the room was a bedroom, he had already checked the panel box.

I told him it was storage.

I really need for an attorney on here like Mike K.to let me know what to do.

He said hes coming back, he's gonna set up another day.

Should i let him in there ?

As it goes, more facts are needed to really give a more precise answer.

Is this a city official?  If it is then they may have a legal right to inspect the premises, to ensure safety to the renter (ironic), if it someone else, non-government related, the answer may be different. The building inspectors of local governments (depending on the code) often times have tremendous authority and serve as a quasi-LEO. So the answer really depends on who is this inspector?

Something else that would be important to know, is when the last inspection.  It seems strange that the inspection would not have taken place prior to you getting the lease or moving in or the city allowing the renter (you) to move in and take possession of the premises without first having the inspection. The general rule is that when renting, the cities will require the homeowner to ensure that the residence is habitable, safe and livable. The inspection is to ensure these things, to avoid liability and mostly to get a fee for the city. 

If you decide to let the inspector in, make sure you video tape the crap out of him. Every word of every conversation. Collect your evidence now, for the worst case scenario. I would start with " hello" your name is ? And you say you work for the city? In what capacity ? You told me that the city requires inspections every three years? You told me that this inspection is required by law? You understand but for that assertion, I would not let you inspect my house? I explained to you that I am a patient, caregiver, in compliance with the MMMA, and no one but myself is allowed in that room? You understand that Mr. Inspector ? Get the answers on video, his face, his words. Etc.. If you get messed with, this evidence could be valuable later.

Your first question can be, "May I see your credentials please?" If you can schedule the inspection you can clear out the grow to another part of the house until it is over. Get with the local municipal zoning office and find details regarding home inspections, if only for the sake of knowing.

Good luck. I don't think it too complicated. Just be smart about it.

Gary fisher. I live in bay city now.

Greg S.

I won't hide my stuff, I'm not going to go through this every three years.

I have two herniated discs plus arthritis in my back an as u can guess, I can'tdo aa lot of lifting, I refuse to end up in the emergency room over this.

I did not tell the inspector the first time he was here that I was a caregiver or a patient, I figured it was none of his business.

If and when he comes back I will tell him then and pull out the rules for him to read.

I will also have this videotaped like Mike said.

My biggest fear is that my daughter and grandson are staying with me till she gets her own place, which hopefully will be soon as I'm a nervous wreck having my grandson here.

The inspector knows there is a baby (2 year old ) living here , I only hope that cps doesn't get involved.

Gary fisher. I live in bay city now.

Greg S.

I won't hide my stuff, I'm not going to go through this every three years.

I have two herniated discs plus arthritis in my back an as u can guess, I can'tdo aa lot of lifting, I refuse to end up in the emergency room over this.

I did not tell the inspector the first time he was here that I was a caregiver or a patient, I figured it was none of his business.

If and when he comes back I will tell him then and pull out the rules for him to read.

I will also have this videotaped like Mike said.

My biggest fear is that my daughter and grandson are staying with me till she gets her own place, which hopefully will be soon as I'm a nervous wreck having my grandson here.

The inspector knows there is a baby (2 year old ) living here , I only hope that cps doesn't get involved.

Maybe shoot a short video of you walking into the room and looking around.  Start with shooting the local news so you have something to prove the date and time the video was shot.  If all he needs to know is that the room is not a living space, a video will do that.

Do what greg said and move your stuff to another room for inspection of the basement room. The law says no one else should have access to the grow room. If the prosecutor is an donkey rectum they might get you for it and saying that it had to be inspected won't help you. The law doesn't make exceptions for anyone else to be in the room which means it shouldn't be a grow room if someone else needs to get in the room. It's a pain in the donkey to move it but you'd rather do that then deal with charges.

I think the obvious thing is to move the plants to another room till he goes away... and pray the electric is up to code for him.. Extension cords will sink your boat,, Or just flat out tell him , I am a medical MJ patient, my medicine is in there, and under MMMA/MMP and Michigan state law means, you shall not pass!.. 

Edited by Willy