Dispensary

Recreational marijuana is now legal to buy in Colorado, and it's not cheap. But pot smokers who waited in five-hour long lines weren't necessarily looking for a deal on Green Wednesday.

"Our most expensive strains sold the quickest," said Toni Fox, proprietor of Denver's 3D Cannabis Center, to The Huffington Post. "We're closing Monday and Tuesday next week to reassess after the large volume of sales we are seeing."

The Huffington Post spoke with owners at many of the roughly 30 dispensaries that sold legal weed on New Year's Day, and they all said the same thing: an eighth of an ounce of marijuana, which would have normally sold for as low as $25, was fetching anywhere between $35 to $70, after taxes.

The proprietor of Denver-based Medicine Man revealed to The Denver Post that, after taxes, the shop was selling an eighth for about $64, and although The Associated Press found at least one shop selling the same amount for as much as $70, Marijuana.com found that the average price right now is approximately $65.

So which strains were the most popular? All of them, according to dispensary owners throughout the state. But many also said their own custom and award-winning strains were big sellers as well.

Many shops raised prices or enforced a purchasing cap of one eighth-ounce in order to mitigate against a possible marijuana shortage.

Prices were also increased by the new 25 percent tax -- 15 percent excise and 10 percent sales -- on all marijuana purchases in the state that voters approved in November, along with any other local jurisdictional taxes on top of that. Marijuana sales are expected to generate nearly $70 million in tax revenue for Colorado in 2014.

But some dispensary owners, like 3D's Fox, chose to absorb the cost of excise tax in order to keep marijuana prices competitive. Fox told HuffPost that her most expensive eighths sold for approximately $50 after taxes.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/02/marijuana-prices-colorado_n_4532463.html

I remember 'regs' costing an average of $15 per 1/8th. in 2000.

Approx. $4.30 per gram.

2014 brings us to $70 per 1/8th. (# used for this example) = $20 per gram.

Making an avg. yearly increase of what... just under 4 bucks ?

For med quality and choices. 

Whether the cost increase reflects annual cost of living increases.. dunno.

Is the cost/s worth it?  Don't know that either.

I know that I can now have a conversation with my very anti cannabis father

with out being the worthless pot head he once thought I was. 

Bringing our medicine out of the dark ages... hummm, Nothing is free.

an fyi... math is not my strong point and my calc's may very well be wrong :D

I am sure some one more skilled in this area will correct any errors if needed.

Well one is asking 25/gm for "Top shelf mj", the prices go from 10 to 25. And you don't even get to sample it because of our stupid law.I guess they make more money selling tiny amounts,can't blame them,they have costs too. But that isn't the way I like it. Gas costs a lot and is a factor also.Imagine how much the price will go up when the State realizes what a tax base they have. IRS,anybody? This law sure did come with a lot of "what ifs",didn't it? Was it worth it? I don't know.

and then, with legal outdoor gardens sprouting up everywhere we'll be suffering the costs of a "bad growing season" just like other commercial crops. Maybe politicians will begin to subsidize us growers with cash so that we stop growing, and instead make more money with a legalized import from Mexico, or China, like corn. After M onsanto floods the air with gmo cannabis pollen and every garden has a gmo plant in it, they'll come door to door arresting indoor growers for patent violations, while we turn each other in to save us from prosecution, like other local food crop farmers. After rogue indoor growers are virtually eradicated the company will release a super growing 5%'er that we will all be required to be providing to patients. There might be periodic checkpoints for product irradiation tagging and inspection/record keeping. Transporters will be required to stop and pay for a bag tag to avoid arrest............farming can be really complicated. I hope politicians don't mess this up for the country and the majority of its people. :))<_<

Prices were also increased by the new 25 percent tax -- 15 percent excise and 10 percent sales -- on all marijuana purchases in the state that voters approved in November, along with any other local jurisdictional taxes on top of that.

Proclaim the mantra!

Tax and Regulate, Tax and Regulate!

Bet that is the ONLY way legislators would support it. So we get screwed again. Bill,I don't agree with the regulate part. You can buy zillions of cartons of cigs,and buy plenty of booze at one time.I've always wondered how a CG with 5 pts could ever make the limit of what they can carry.They must have to go back home and get more to make their deliveries. Govt put limits to shut up the anti MMJ and the booze lobbies. I know I drive all around with 50 pounds everyday...........................SARCASM,in case you are reading,LEO.

ah jointedone, its not really like that. when I have a full house I don't generally deliver to more than one patient on one day. Very rare to have five patients at one time that want the 15 ounces I could carry. The real issue with that would be the amount of cannabis I would have to have harvested to amount to l5 dry ounces=60 ounces, which would be a foolish thing. I harvest enough for the next two deliveries, and myself to keep legal limits of useable marijuana on hand. Its a juggle for sure, but I've got it down now for a few years. Truth be told, five patients at one time is a job, and I don't want a job. I keep a spot or two open for

those exceptional harvest times when I'll accept a short term patient, a new grower caregiver or the like.

Not really intrested in relocating happy where I'm at just wondered how things worked there. Seems like you guys are 5 years behind is. Which is odd. As far as driving I don't believe the arrest rate is up but I could be wrong.

It's pre-1284 here... just, generally speaking, more hostile with police attitudes & court rulings. Were it not for several rulings as of the last year or so, we were truly pre-1284. Has been lots of push back by legislators & city ordinances as well.

Another big issue is how transparent the corruption is out here- we might have popular support amongst the general population, but the cops & da's & politicians & judges are heavily invested in maintaining the status quo, and that is directly tied to money & livelihood. MI as a whole is also tied in w privatized jails. Thry just view it as a threat. Although CO has it's issues, no doubt, the farther East you go the less progressive the instituions get, and the more it's about preserving & securing personal interests.

That's my take on it. There is a totally different vibe to place, and again, it's all very transparent in effect. But, this place has hustle, which is good & bad depending on which side of whichever line you stand.

Why wouldn't a dispensary with a front of a few collective caregivers, who hardly keep much product on the shelf, or cash in the drawer, just enough to satisfy the smack and grab uniforms,  buy their supply from MI locals for $7/gram and send it off to their Vegas affiliates to sell for $70/gram?  well, that would be "illegal" you say?...( like a dispensary is in the first place right.)

Maybe our illegal dispensaries are just a front for a larger export business? Vegas is well known for these types of entrepreneurial venture capitalists, just saying..

Why wouldn't a dispensary with a front of a few collective caregivers, who hardly keep much product on the shelf, or cash in the drawer, just enough to satisfy the smack and grab uniforms, buy their supply from MI locals for $7/gram and send it off to their Vegas affiliates to sell for $70/gram? well, that would be "illegal" you say?...( like a dispensary is in the first place right.)

Maybe our illegal dispensaries are just a front for a larger export business? Vegas is well known for these types of entrepreneurial venture capitalists, just saying..

Vegas is a mecca of underground grows. For a very long time cali folks have been setting up shop & running a route back. Not anything all the cops along that corridor dont already know, so no spilled beans here. Tons of pretty much every group in the biz is set up already. They are an export state.

Metro down there is also about as corrupt as the D. They are paramilitary, hard on growers (legal or otherwise), and do evething in their power to subvert the medical laws. It's old school... right down to bumping any case they want to prosecute to the fed. It is a hostile place to grow, yet its big biz nonetheless.