Has Anyone Experience With Veterinary Use Of Mmj?

TJBDVM

I am new to the forum but did not find any reference to use of MM in animals on the list.  Is there anyone with knowledge of use in veterinary medicine?  I have numerous old and young patients who might benefit if I can learn to dose and prescribe it correctly. But I don't know if any legal questions have been addressed if that could be possible.

TJBDVM

successfully.

legal issues are with issue. a holistic veterinarian is well aware of animal cannabis use in her field, but afraid to acquire it and prescribe it to patients for their animals.

I would not provide medicine for other than my own animal. It's pretty darned important to know the animal well and be tuned into responses, reactions, etc. Dosing is individualized but starter dose recommendations done by weight. I only have experience with canine and equine varieties myself, and only with my own medicine.

Edited by grassmatch

my lab is 100 lbs the same weight as my ole lady, so I just dose them the same, mostly to quiet them both down, but I feel bad for my dog, I have her on a diet and now she is getting the munchies and I cant give her treats, but her old bones to seem to be as slow as they were! :yahoo-wave:

on the serious side, ive had many friends break peices of vidoden for their old dogs and mine seems to gravitate to me when I burn one, we used to sit and partake with each other, I think she may just like it medicenly now!

Peace

:bong2:

(I posted this earlier in the 'Convincing the Skeptical' thread)

OK, if you have watched or read about cannabinoids and cannabinoid receptors, you now know that they are in animals too, including pets.

After the jokes die down, if you have an older pet with health issues, it may be worth further research.  Note, I am not any sort of medical professional.

If your pet is tolerating its medicine well and it is effective, certainly do not change anything.   At this point my non-professional opinion would be to consider this option when there isn't really much else that your vet can do.

DO NOT FORCE SMOKE INTO YOUR PET'S FACE.  I am talking about cannabis based medicines, such as glycerin tinctures, for pets, especially pets nearing the end of their life.  Or, the concentrated oil can be smeared onto treats or even right onto the teeth of a pet that has no appetite.  It will be absorbed through the tissues in the mouth as it melts.  Capsules can easily be made from the concentrates if your pet can take them.  Start with the tiniest of dosages and work up to an effective dose.

Why would anyone do that to their pet, right?  Well, as with people, it largely has to do with positive effects and lack of negative side effects.

The big three positive effects I suppose are pain reduction, appetite stimulation, and restful sleep.  As with people too, an animal will need a few doses to get used to the medicine and may lose some coordination with the initial doses.  Be careful around stairs or drop-offs.  Watch the animal until it falls asleep.  If given a large dose be watchful as the pet could wet the bed.  They sleep very soundly and typically wake up, go outside to do some business, come in, and head to their food bowl.

I guess it shouldn't be all that surprising that veterinarians haven't started reusing it as medicine, at least the vast majority of them.  Few enough doctors believe in the benefits and people are telling them directly.  Not many dogs are talking, even after ingesting cannabis.

I want to mention one, certain to be doubted effect that I witnessed first hand.   The concentrated cannabis oil, when repeatedly applied over the course of a month or two, can shrink mast cell tumors on the skin of a dog.  My dog, due to anesthesia problems could not withstand more surgery.  I had read about this cannabis possibility, had the oil on hand, and so started melting my dog's leg tumor over the course of six weeks.  

When I returned to the same vet that had refused to remove the growth under a local, he was very surprised and wanted to know what I had done.  I only took the dog to clean the wound because  it now appeared that he was going to survive for a while and I was afraid that it might get infected.  After cleaning up the wound area, the vet said, "the growth was now hanging on by a thread, so I removed it and sewed it up"  

Several months later I had to put the dog down.  Eventually his problems compounded and I couldn't take watching the struggle.  On his last morning before our ride to the vet however, he had a good appetite.

Or, some time ago, there was this thread talking about Vet Dr Doug Kramer.  Unfortunately Dr Kramer met with an early demise and some of the links to his site may no longer function.

http://michiganmedicalmarijuana.org/topic/42951-medical-marijuana-is-going-to-the-dogs/?hl=kramer

or this MSN article

http://living.msn.com/family-parenting/pets/off-the-leash-blog-post?post=80613e11-8e01-48c5-8167-f58411a5f525

Here were some historical veterinary uses of cannabis

http://antiquecannab.../Veterinary.htm

I had a fifteen year old rottweiler who always enjoyed eating fan leaves. As his health declined I tried to make sure he always had some available. He would eat some and leave some so I guess he just ate what he wanted or needed. All I gave him for medication was that and an aspirin a day.

He seemed to be reasonably comfortable up until the day he just laid down and died peacefully. Maybe it was just in my imagination but I believe it helped him to dignified end. I'll be forever grateful that I didn't need to have him put down and he went naturally on his own.

ok im officialy sad!  I would do anything for my dog!  she is my bestest friend she is always happy to see me, and it dont matter who is home that dog wants me, I call her my shadow, she is a black lab had I gotten her when she was a pup I prob would have named her that,

My dog star was my lady's dog when we met,  from day 1 that dog loved me, my lady is always saying dont take my dog away from me (meaning she loves me more than any one, im the dominate male) no one pays attn to her like I do, my kids want a pet they always ask, I say what the heck is this dog named star? she is your pet, I didnt bring her here, you already had her, the dog likes to be loved, I give her love, if she is near me she gets petted, I even let her get on my lap lol, she weighs a 100 lbs she is a big beautiful lap dog, my lap dog, I have now been with her for 7 of her 9 yrs, I couldnt imagine life w/o her, I know it will happen one day, but I have no doubt I will go get a rescue dog when she passes,  Im a scruffy rough kind of guy, but kids and pets seem to gravitate to me, I cant go sit at a beach by meself to get some peace that some kids or dogs come see me, I wind up being the baby sitter of children at the beach lol, I know it is only because I give people and pets attn when they come see me!  I guess life isnt so bad eh?

Peace

Come to me when you decide on a Rescue,Jim. That's what I do. Doesn't matter where the dog is,I have contacts all over the country.     I can tell you're a dog lover :thumbsu: We had a 50 lb Bassett Hound that ate a 13x13 pan of goof brownies. I didn't know she did it. I thought the dog was dying,she stumbled more than usual and had a dumber than usual look on her face. Called my vet,all upset,he's 20 miles away. So i'm crying and in walk both of my smart butt sons,I say "The dog is dying,you have to drive us to the Vet." I am wondering why they are smiling......Then the younger one says,"Ma,she ate a pan of reefer brownies". Vet calls me back a couple hours later to see how she was doing. I told him what happened. I hear nothing on the other end of the phone,then hear hysterical laughing. FROM MY VET!  He said not to worry about it,that if anything could hurt her it would have been the chocolate. Then he asks me if he can tell this story to other Vets! I said okay as long as he didn't say who it was. That dog slept for 3 straight days. I even clipped her nails,that was always a big ordeal. I don't think I have seen anything funnier than a stoned Bassett Hound.

Edited by jointedone

I am new to the forum but did not find any reference to use of MM in animals on the list.  Is there anyone with knowledge of use in veterinary medicine?  I have numerous old and young patients who might benefit if I can learn to dose and prescribe it correctly. But I don't know if any legal questions have been addressed if that could be possible.

TJBDVM

My dogs got into some strained leaves from a batch of butter quite a while back, and they were absolutely miserable for about 14 hours. Couldn't walk, scared to be touched...all in all, a bad situation. BTW, blowing smoke into a dogs nose or any other BS I've seen people do is indeed animal cruelty. Don't be THAT guy.

I recently lost my 11 yr old German Shepherd Thunder. He had elbow surgery 4 years ago. This led to bad arthritis and swelling in his elbow. He had been on daily pain management meds (deramax) for about 2 years. The meds began to not work as well as time went on. They also cause organ damage. I gave him glycerin tincture at times and also my hard candy. He preferred the candy. He ate a few pieces and then would rest and sleep comfortably. I started small, and increased as I saw fit. He never showed any adverse signs and it was never forced on him. I will use again if my pets ever can benefit!

RIP Thunder.

^..^

Edited by janefacej

janefacej,I am so sorry about you losing your best friend. Since I am a die hard rescue volunteer I need to tell you about a beautiful GSD female whose owner just had to go into a nursing home. She just came in a couple days ago. She is 7 years old. If you may be interested in her. The clinic is is a rescue we have worked with for quite a few years,and have adopted mostly older and handicapped Jack Russell terriers. But 9 months ago we adopted a GSD puppy that was left tied to the Vet Clinics door one morning. If you would like to see her and learn more about her,they have a facebook page,Richland Animal Vet Clinic,in Richland Mich. If you are interested after you read her story,PM me.Again,I am sorry you lost your buddy. It's so heartbreaking. All I can think of is how this lovely girl will miss her owner,we have found that GSDs are very loyal. Thanks for reading this post.  Maybe two broken hearts can be helped.

Paulie is 10 months old now and has started his service dog training. I fall a lot and want to stay in my home .He is learning to help me get up when I do fall. They really are good dogs,although very different from JRTs. And now Paulie has the bestest home ever with his new sister and a mean azz cat! Love you guys,so glad we got to meet! EPIC DAY! :yahoo-wave:

Edited by jointedone

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Dogs respond completely differently from humans when it comes to drugs. In an experiment, a dog was given a dose of heroin that would have killed 4 humans. All it did to the dog was make it a little sleepy.

Opposite end for dogs & weed though. Iv only seen a couple of accidental dosings where they got into medibles & it screws them up. Basically as jointed pointed out in her experience. One was even peeing on themselves, just unable to move. Light doses seem amusing, heavy doses & scared for their wellbeing until it passes. Just dont want anyone thinking dogs can handle it like champs.