Canadian Medical Marijuana Recalls

Wild Bill

There have been three recalls of medical cannabis since the Canadian government ruled home grows illegal on April 1,2014, forcing patients to buy their meds from government approved commercial growers. This is the latest.

Remember this when they start pushing to get rid of home grows here "for the safety of the patients".

I found it interesting that the same product was being sold as "White Widow", "White Shark" and "Peacemaker". Try one of each! :yahoo-wave:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How medical marijuana growers make sure they're selling quality pot

Health Canada, which licences marijuana producers under its Marihuana for Medical Purposes Regulations, says the company will send out appropriate packaging and a postage paid shipping container to anyone wishing to return the tainted product.

Health Canada says most mould does not present a significant health risk, but can cause infections in those whose immune systems have been weakened by serious illnesses.

"If clients wish to destroy the product at home, they should add water to the marijuana to render it unusable, mix it with cat litter to mask the odour and dispose of it with regular household waste," Health Canada said in a written statement.

Neither the company nor Health Canada have received any reports of adverse reactions from use of the mouldy batch.

This is the third recall of medical marijuana since Health Canada radically changed the rules on April 1, moving approved production from a cottage industry of thousands of loosely regulated growers to a commercially competitive sector.

On April 18, Health Canada recalled a batch of Purple Kush from Greenleaf Medicinals of B.C. due to manufacturing irregularities.

Peace Naturals Project voluntarily recalled a batch of marijuana May 9 when it tested positive for bacteria exceeding acceptable limits.

Edited by Wild Bill

WOW! Can you only imagine how many people growing in their basement smoked molded weed???? Or worse sold molded weed to patients who smoked it????? COMPLETELY UNREGULATED OR TRACKED AND NO RECAL TO SAVE THE REST?!?! WHO WAS LOOKING OUT FOR THE SAFETY OF THOSE PATIENTS???

Your excuse to not having control and regulation over this industry is uneducated. People like you, who think this is your right, do more harm to the industry than good.

Edited by StuckInTheNorth

WOW! Can you only imagine how many people growing in their basement smoked molded weed???? Or worse sold molded weed to patients who smoked it????? COMPLETELY UNREGULATED OR TRACKED AND NO RECAL TO SAVE THE REST?!?!

Your excuse to not having control and regulation over this industry is uneducated. People like you, who think this is your right, do more harm to the industry than good.

I disagree. I am able to closely monitor the conditions in my small personal grow much more closely than a large warehouse type grow could ever hope to.

I do not sell or give cannabis that I grow to anyone else, nor do I smoke it. I have no interest in the industry and couldn't care less whether or not any of these financial ventures succeeds or not.

What makes you think that it is not my right to grow a plant?

WOW! Can you only imagine how many people growing in their basement smoked molded weed???? Or worse sold molded weed to patients who smoked it????? COMPLETELY UNREGULATED OR TRACKED AND NO RECAL TO SAVE THE REST?!?! WHO WAS LOOKING OUT FOR THE SAFETY OF THOSE PATIENTS???

Who was looking out for the safety of these patients?  Seems like the patients had to as they made a recall AFTER COMPLAINTS FROM PATIENTS,  NOT FROM A SCREENING PROCESS!

The same as what happens when someone get's sick from a burger.  A person has to get sick first.  Unfortunately the system is so large the source can contaminate more people than a small cottage industry would and it's much harder to track than a small cottage industry.

Who was looking out for the "safety" of those patients? Those patients themselves, my friend. Caveat Emptor and all that stuff. The problem with government looking out for the "safety" of individuals is that the government gets to define "safety". More often than not, the government goes overboard in their attempt to be all things to all people. Health Canada itself admits that " most mould does not present a significant health risk", yet they banned home grows ostensibly for the reason that moldy weed presents a health hazard to people? It seems that they just used "safety" as an excuse to ban home grows when the real reason is because they wanted to "save" people from the EVIL, FRIGHTENING, GOD SAVE US FROM IT!, marijuana. Now that they have control over the "safety", they will use this excuse as a foot in the door to enact all kinds of draconian controls and we will be right back to the place that we are trying to escape from - illegal marijuana and all the BS that that entails.

If this stuff is going to be "legalized" it needs to be legalized all the way and that includes growing it in your own backyard - period.

When readily available temp/humidity controls will completely eliminate the possibility of mold in an otherwise clean indoor garden, what could possibly be a grower's excuse, personal or commercial, and especially commercial medical. I cry for the savings had by not employing proper controls, in personal and commercial ventures.

Who was looking out for the safety of these patients?  Seems like the patients had to as they made a recall AFTER COMPLAINTS FROM PATIENTS,  NOT FROM A SCREENING PROCESS!

The same as what happens when someone get's sick from a burger.  A person has to get sick first.  Unfortunately the system is so large the source can contaminate more people than a small cottage industry would and it's much harder to track than a small cottage industry.

You know very little about growing cannabis my friend mold doesn't automatically grow in everyones basement most of us have environmental control of every aspect of our gardens from the growth to the drying and curing process not one time have I had one single bud turn moldy and we are talking about hundreds of plants since April of 09 so hows about you educate yourself because you sound very uninformed .

You know very little about growing cannabis my friend mold doesn't automatically grow in everyones basement most of us have environmental control of every aspect of our gardens from the growth to the drying and curing process not one time have I had one single bud turn moldy and we are talking about hundreds of plants since April of 09 so hows about you educate yourself because you sound very uninformed .

You should reread or ask me to explain because I have no clue where you got that I'd think mold grows in everyone's basement.  I'm talking about the canadian recalls.  Of course it's easier to control a small garden than a large warehouse with dozens of workers.  I was talking about how they tried to sell that BK and McD's would be safer and easier to regulate then dozens of locally owned and locally supplied burger joints and they aren't.  the larger the corp and the more they control market share the more unsafe people are.  Cottage industry, ma and pa, etc are much safer for the people.  I know i'm bad at getting my point across on the computer but I've read it 3 times and still don't see where you got that from.

Oh, did you quote mine instead of stuck in the north's post?

Edited by Norby

Ok....lets try this with less frustration. I understand the environment here is anti control of the industry, and I can respect your mentality, but I do not have to agree with it, nor do you have to agree with mine. Everyone gets to voice their opinions, so why not voice mine.

I am very familiar with cultivating marijuana, in a basement. And have done so in the State of Michigan, under the very poorly written law. I am also personally familiar with the developments in Canada, and the requirements set forth by that governement under it new law. I am pro marijuana for medical uses, and I am not against marijuana for recreational use, however I do feel a country should learn to walk, before it runs....and by all means, Canada having rescheduled in its country is far ahead of our great USA with its thinking.

I in no way stated that people growing in their basement automatically have mold. In fact, when discussing molded marijuana, it typically develops during the drying and curing process, even for those with all the needed airflow and humidity control in their operation. Often times you could have just one or two small buds develop mold in an entire batch simply because they didnt get the best airflow during the process as the rest of the batch.

I in no way stated that YOU personally will have molded marijuana. I am sure you are all quality cultivators and well versed in your expierence in the industry, as most always claim.

Personally, I will say that I am ALWAYS learning. Everyone makes mistakes.....to say that you don't, makes you a perfection of life and all should worship you.

I believe that under a well written law, that allows for personal cultivation of marijuana, you should have the right to grow your own plants, for your own personal use. Just as you can brew your own beer, or bake your own bread or have your own backyard garden.....but when you want to sell that beer or that bread to someone else, and receive financial compensation for it, then you are required by law to following all regulations for food safety. How many times have you heard of an ecoli outbreak on bagged lettuce? The governement requires a very detailed process for those companies selling their product to tracked each and every one of their products in order to conduct a proper recal and enforce public safety. When this happens, the company will also go through dreadful inspections of their facilities to find out how it happend, and potentially face being put out of business if they can't fix the problem to ensure it doesn't happen again.

So when you are growing marijuana for yourself, I think that is no problem what so ever. But when you are a caregiver, growing marijuana for another human being, and charging them for your services, you should be held accountable in all the proper ways for that individuals health and safety. They are consuming a product, that if not produced or handled in the appropriate way, could potentially cause them harm. What protection do they have? Can they sue you? What if another patient was given the same product, how would you ensure they were made aware or better how would you ensure they didn't continue using the product?

Now....I am not saying YOU would do this or have this problem, but you can't deny that there are many in this industry for the wrong reasons, or who aren't expierenced enough to care for another person. I have read messages on this site where patients complained of having received molded marijuana and their caregivers or those they bought it from did not care. Come on, seriously?!

When a product for consumption is produced for others, and financial compensation is received for that product, there should be rules in place to ensure safety.

Canada is doing just that. Yes, they took away everyones personal privilage to grow, and I do not agree with that, but the direction they have chosen for this industry is better than most countries and their approach to medical marijuana. It is still a schedule 1 in our great country.....

This is my personal opinion on the matter, I am not trying to attack your views or opinions, nor do I wish to be attacked because of mine. You can voice yours, I am simply voicing mine. The great thing about life is we don't have to agree.

I wish you all success in the industry or use of marijuana. I personally hope Michigan changes their approach and regulates the industry more on a state level, with clear cut rules and regulations. So people can operate safely, instead of in the grey areas. Im tired of seeing people arrested because they THOUGHT it was ok to do this or that. I'm tired of seeing people INTERPERET a law to benefit them personally and then suffer the concequesnces. I am very tired of seeing criminals abuse the system here.

Ok, I'll disagree then.  You realize you can get your meds wherever you want.  Places can test without being regulated(required to test).  I do.

Why do you want to force the state to have all the same regulations even if they sell to less than 20 people that they know?  You realize some people still trust people in this world and realize, even with all the regulations there are still recalls, deaths and a hard time tracking these huge producers and getting from someone you know is actually better than corporations mega grows.  You realize that people who sell veggies at the end of their driveway are exempt from USDA regulations because they don't sell hi volume and are much easier tracked than the corporations(which they said would be easier to track)(maybe still can't use banned products and such but not regulated like stores).  Why do you want it differently than the way that a lot of small communities still get a lot of their food?  If the regulations are not there you can still get some business for false advertising if they don;t test.  Right now you can go on iron labs website and see if dispenses are testing by viewing their open results.  Regulating is a way to keep a lot of small part time jobs out of the hands of the people though.