Rescued Akita Needs Home

wozerdozer

Wozer,you are now officially a Rescue volunteer. You have done more than your share to help this lovely dog. Proud to know you. You will find that Rescue folks are the best people in the world. MHS should be able to help provide you with the documents you need.  When you see that pretty girl get a loving home,you will cry and never regret how you helped her. You will meet some wonderful,honest people. Good job,Wozer. Good Karma coming your way. :angel:

Edited by jointedone

Just an update guys. Blue Moon Akita Rescue is going to take her in for me.

I just have to get her to them in Denver Co. I checked into flying her to them.

But they want her vaccination and vet records. Ive only had her since rescue.

I dont have none of that cause she wasnt my dog. Im going to contact some

dog transport companies tomorrow but im thinking they will want the same

documentation. Im also going to contact the humane society again and see if

they can help me out with that. They helped me with her vet bills so far.

Thanks

Wozer

P.s. If anyone knows of a reliable transport service I can call or any other

reccomendations please let me know.

I've been out of town with no signal. How big is she? That she is protective is a plus. So is the fact that they can be let outdoors year around, and that they like cold environments best. That they don't take command particularly well is an issue. Has she been trained in obedience?

Edited by GregS

It is very tempting. I would love to have my own "pack" of Akitas!  Sadly, I would be biting off much more than I could chew or afford. 

There has to be somebody out there for her.

Have you tried contacting any Akita breeders? You can find them on the AKC website. They may have more resources for rescue options.

They would be excellent security fenced outside your fully enclosed facility. Is she registered? 

Edited by GregS

I've been out of town with no signal. How big is she? That she is protective is a plus. So is the fact that they can be let outdoors year around, and that they like cold environments. That they don't take command particularly well is an issue. Has she been trained in obedience?

She was 87 pounds when i first found her. she lost 10 pounds in the first week. Shes healthy again so id say 87+ pounds. Shes quite

the lover but if she is in her kennel or in my back yard she is very protective and looks very convincing. My brother for example can walk by the gate to the back yard and she goes ape ship untill he goes away. I can go over imediately and let het out and since im there she will let my brother pet her without any problem. As for obedience I really dont think shes ever been trained but the right home and the right owner shes smart enough to learn. I havent been able to work with her like i do with my dogs cause they dont get along.

You are doing alot of good Wozer........... Good on you my friend.........

Thanks ozzrock. I could use some good right about now.

Wozer,you are now officially a Rescue volunteer. You have done more than your share to help this lovely dog. Proud to know you. You will find that Rescue folks are the best people in the world. MHS should be able to help provide you with the documents you need.  When you see that pretty girl get a loving home,you will cry and never regret how you helped her. You will meet some wonderful,honest people. Good job,Wozer. Good Karma coming your way. :angel:

Ive still got some hoops to jump through. Everyone from transport services to the Rescue wants vaccination and medical records for this dog. I dont have them cause shes a rescue. I contacted the humane society and they require me to have her spayed before they will pay for her to get vaccines. They will pay for the spay also.

Thanks

Wozer

So then they know she is not spayed already? This is where all the donations come in. All Rescues require neutering. We all pay for the dogs ourselves,or make deals with the Vets for lower cost care. Hey Wozer,did any of the Vets check to see if she is microchipped? Someone could be looking for her.I just thought of that. We chip all the dogs that come through our rescue now.

How do they know she isn't spayed already? Is she young? You don't HAVE to send her to a rescue. You may find a person suitable that might need a dog right now. Maybe that person needs a dog to help their broken heart. I've done many private rescues. You know her better than a stranger does. Sounds to me like you know how to handle more aggressive breeds and can make a good decision. Could be that person is here on this site. But please do spay her. All the shelters and rescues are full to the brim,hundreds of dogs are euthanized everyday. I mean puppies and kittens too.

I've been out of town with no signal. How big is she? That she is protective is a plus. So is the fact that they can be let outdoors year around, and that they like cold environments best. That they don't take command particularly well is an issue. Has she been trained in obedience?

GregS you seemed interested in my Kierra. If you are looking for a loving loyal friend that will also protect you this girl is for you.

Even with her injuries people were drawn to her everywhere i went. They seem to look rite passed the fact she was injured and would say what a beautiful dog you have. I wish i could keep her myself. But because of my other dogs she has to be rehomed. Its just not fair to her to be locked in my basement or in my back yard by herself. She dont get the love she deserves being locked up. And she also doesnt get to give the love she wants to give either. Shes definitly a friend that deserves to be by someones side not locked up.

If your interested pm me and we can go from there. Have a great day!

Wozer

She was 87 pounds when i first found her. she lost 10 pounds in the first week. Shes healthy again so id say 87+ pounds. Shes quite

the lover but if she is in her kennel or in my back yard she is very protective and looks very convincing. My brother for example can walk by the gate to the back yard and she goes ape ship untill he goes away. I can go over imediately and let het out and since im there she will let my brother pet her without any problem. As for obedience I really dont think shes ever been trained but the right home and the right owner shes smart enough to learn. I havent been able to work with her like i do with my dogs cause they dont get along.

Thanks ozzrock. I could use some good right about now.

Ive still got some hoops to jump through. Everyone from transport services to the Rescue wants vaccination and medical records for this dog. I dont have them cause shes a rescue. I contacted the humane society and they require me to have her spayed before they will pay for her to get vaccines. They will pay for the spay also.

Thanks

Wozer

My limited experience with them is that they are difficult to train.

She may be a purebred dog.....was she carrying a purse with her papers in it? (SARCASM) Know what,Wozer?  I know lots of people are telling you what to do. Maybe you should think about turning her over to Mich Humane Society in Detroit. They will evaluate her,and decide whether she can be placed. If she is a biter,then there really is nothing you can do,short of having her muzzled all the time....or get her teeth pulled out. yes,I have seen this too. That ain't no life for a dog like that. And you would be liable,doesn't matter if you tried to help her and don't actually "own" her. Like I said before,some things are worse than death for an un-wanted dog. We have had to put down dogs that could not be placed. It's heart breaking,and makes me hate people that break a dog so that they can never be repaired. This is the dark side of Rescue. She has already suffered a bad attack.whether it was from humans or other dogs. Sometimes you have to make the hardest decision.............but the person that threw her away is the one that won't feel any guilt. You have done just about everything you could.  This is just my advice from experience as a Rescue volunteer.

Edited by jointedone

Im not even close to throwing in the towel jointedone. Ive never saved a life before. I will find this dog safety even if I have to drive her to Denver Colorado myself. She deserves it. It might have been different if I was already part of a rescue team when I found her. But putting her down now would be the same as letting her die in the park. I know i cant save them all but this one I will. Im sorry if I made her out to sound like a bitter dog. Cause shes not. Shes not use to kids and she dont get along with my dogs. When she growls at people when shes in her cage or locked in my back yard she is only protcting her area and doing her job. Not being bitter. Shes a good girl and I know she will make someone very happy. Ive come this far with her ill see this through with her one way or another.

Call me stubborn:-)

Thanks

Wozer

Some may call you stubborn....I call you determined and kind hearted.  Ever think that this girl was sent to you for a reason? Maybe to show you how important rescue is to people and dogs. One dog at a time. That's all we can do. Not everybody is right for Akitas. I sure found out that Jack Russells are pretty tough dogs,they are little but man you should see them go after varments.!

Yes I have. And that is why I wont give up on her. And no Akitas arent for everybody.

But this Akita is right for sombody. And if I have it my way I will find that somebody

and she will live happily ever after. I know thats a fairy tale but right now someone

out there is looking for and needing the love that this girl has to give. And I really

want to find them. So Ill keep on looking. Persistance pays off sooner or later:-)

Thanks

Wozer

Ya know man, i got my Shepard that way,, it wasn't damaged other than mentally, she was starved and showed signs of hit abuse..   i let her live under the porch for months (yes i fed her)  before i decided to take her in,, snow made that decision for me,, but since i had lost my own dog a year earlier, I guess I  kinda needed her.. if you know what i mean.. She is protective as all get out,, and wont leave my side.. she walks me to the bathroom, and waits right there.. she isn't a biter, but if someone comes in the yard,, well she is all about protection..(all bets are off) i'll let you piece that one out.... well my main point was i had a cat for lots of years, and one thing this dog can not live with is a cat.. I kept them apart for 3 yrs.. after which the cat died.. it was old around 16yrs...   but i guess what im saying is that in time you can adjust them to live with other dogs.. you just need patience and lots of time :).. so if you have to you can keep that dog.. Ya i know,, i didn't want another one either, but once you save them animals i feel you have to live up to the good deed.. you saved it,, its yours now.. LOL  wish i could afford another dog.. but i can't.. good luck bro.. and keep up the good deed...you did the right and honorable thing .. hats off to ya..