Cops Raid Wrong House And Fatally Shoot Home Owner.

SWAT Team Shot David Hooks At Home After Tip From Meth Addict

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/07/david-hooks-shooting-swat_n_5949318.html

45 hour search of the guys house and cannot find any type of contraband whatsoever...

Deputies shot and killed a man inside his Georgia home last month following an apparently bogus tip they received from a confessed meth addict and thief.

East Dublin resident David Hooks, 59, was killed because, according to Laurens County Sheriff Bill Harrell, he aggressively brandished a gun at the SWAT team that broke in his back door. But Mitchell Shook, a lawyer for Hooks' widow, contends that the sheriff has misled the public about the shooting and raid, which turned up no drugs.

The sheriff's office obtained a search warrant based on a tip from a thief who claimed he had found 20 grams of methamphetamine inside a bag he stole from a vehicle at Hooks' home, Georgia station WMAZ reports. According to the warrant, Rodney Garrett claimed that he thought the bag was filled with cash but that he later discovered it contained meth. Garrett said that he then turned himself into the sheriff's office because the drugs made him fear for his safety.

Garrett, a known drug abuser, also stole a second vehicle, a SUV, from the Hooks home.

The word of a thief shouldn't have been enough to obtain the warrant, Shook told the Macon Telegraph.

He also disputes assertions that the sheriff's office has made about Hooks' killing.

Sheriff's deputies raided the home without identifying themselves, Shook said, contrary to their claims that they told Hooks they were officers with a search warrant. The sheriff's office had also said they fired at Hooks for aggressively pointing a gun at them near the back door, but Shook alleges that the deputies blindly shot at Hooks through a wall without knowing who was there.

When Hooks' wife saw men in dark clothing heading for their home at 11 p.m. on Sept. 24, she woke up her husband and told him that the thieves who had stolen their SUV were back. Hooks grabbed a gun and headed to the door, according to Shook.

Deputies shot more than 16 times, Shook said in a statement.

Authorities searched Hooks' home for 44 hours, but found no drugs, according to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Hooks' family says that he didn't use drugs or sell them. They say he ran a successful construction company.

The Laurens County Sheriff's Office and the Georgia Bureau of Investigation, which reviews all officer shootings, didn't respond to HuffPost's inquiries. Calls to Shook were not answered either.

We Need to End the WAR on Drugs!

Only then can some respect for each other's choices happen.

When someone other that myself tells me what to put in My body I say This is My Body!!

That is the basis for it all...

End the war!

End the war!

There is and there will be No Other Solution!!

Now How do We as Citizens do this nationally?

That's the root of the problem, right there.

Edited by ilynnboy

Ban - no Knock raids !

no matter what there should be NO EXCUSE for a no knock raid.

do the research LEO on the location and American Citizen before you go and destroy lives and property and kill pets and families...

it is far time we citizens speak up and make LEO Know their target and be responsible about containing them before acting in any capacity.

A no knock raid should be reserved for situations where there is a known risk of violence towards an officer.  A no knock raid is to get the jump on the people inside so they can't harm an officer or destroy evidence. At what point is the prevention of the destruction of evidence valued more than the risk of the loss of life? Either the cops' life or the people inside?

If the target of the investigation is violent it seems to me like getting the jump on them outside the house is safer than breaking into their house. If they really want to harm someone they have easier access to a weapon while inside than walking to their car or something.

What happened to good old fashion stake outs? Watch the suspect and spring on them when they're carrying a bag of groceries.

I just don't get this. I don't get it. I don't get how anyone can think this is the best way to catch a suspect.  Who comes up with this crap?  This policy crap.  If I hear my door crashing in at 4am who knows what I'd do while half asleep. Your instinct is to grab something for self defense.  I wonder what the percentage is of cops getting killed on a no knock versus a regular raid.

Policing in this country is a failure. Too much politics and unprofessionalism. Not enough oversight.

I also wonder if violence by police rises in the years after a war (Iraq) when police forces recruit military folks with PTSD and a blood thirst.

The number of no-knock raids has increased from 3,000 in 1981 to more than 50,000 in 2005, according to Peter Kraska, a criminologist at Eastern Kentucky University in Richmond.[1] Raids that lead to deaths of innocent people are increasingly common; since the early 1980s, 40 bystanders have been killed, according to the Cato Institute in Washington, D.C.[1]

One way to fix this problem:   SUE THEM UNTIL THEY CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!

I would think that this guys family could collect quite a bundle in a wrongful death lawsuit?

Right but  michigan made a law to protect there pigs from any legal action....full immunity ticket..

One way to fix this problem:   SUE THEM UNTIL THEY CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!

I would think that this guys family could collect quite a bundle in a wrongful death lawsuit?

I hope so because his family was dependent on him and now he is gone.

No amount of stacks of paper will bring him back.   It's just paper.

• 2 weeks later...

Whiskey tango foxtrot, they took the word of a drug-addled thief who stole their effing vehicle?  They used to hang thieves right up through the Victorian era. 

Now they take their word as an excuse to invade the home of an innocent citizen and kill him in cold blood.

Hopefully the widow has enough assets--both fiscal and social--from her husband's business that inshallah she can afford a top-notch legal team.

I hope the careers and freedom of the cops involved are curtailed for life.  Ditto for their superiors and their superiors' superiors all the way to the prosecuting attorney, the chief of police, the mayor, and the judge who signed the warrant.  Oh, and that gutter scum of a thief!

OK I'd better stop, anger is a serious sin and right now it's coming out of my ears...

I just looked this up. The thief was a meth addict. Hmmm, no chance it was his meth.

He stole guns and a truck from the guy shot by the po po.

The dead man's lawyer sent a private eye to the jail to interview the meth addict thief and the sheriff cut the interview short.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/14/david-hooks-georgia_n_5961842.html

Someone's hiding something.

Loser po po killing people constantly.

What kind of drug addict, out stealing people's cars to fund their habit, finds their drug of choice, and then fears for their safety? I think it's more likely the police department was using a stingray, and tracking large amounts of phone usage, and came accross, a successful construction worker, calling his foremen, and workers, from a central location (his home). Possibly in conjunction with a noided out meth users story.