Advice For Grow Room

Jimmie_s96

I'm a new patient and will be growing my own but I am having issues with setting up. I've done lots of research on the web but one person says one thing and another says something different so if you can assist I'd appreciate it!

I am using a space that is 4x3 and is located in a basement corner. Right Next to the 4x3 area there is an automatic dehumidifier that is vented outside, there isn't much I can do about that because it's bolted to my wall, not your typical 3 foot high dehumidifier. I bought my light set up already, it is a 600 watt hps with wing hood and then for vegging I'm using two four foot double bulb T8 fluorescents (4100K bulbs). There is drywall on the outside of this closet but nothing on the interior of the closet walls except the studs and basement cement wall on the opposite walls so I was going to nail up OSB on the inside with studs (then paint white or apply mylar) and as for the cement walls I was going to just paint them white. I am new at all of this so any advice will be much appreciated! The dehumidifier acts as an exhaust but I have no intake for fresh air from outside, is that okay as long as I have a fan inside blowing on them? Also the entire closet is probably 12-14 feet long by 4 feet wide but there are things on the other side that cannot be moved so I cannot really utilize any space over there(maybe I can utilize 2x1 right next to my water softener if needed..?), do I need to completely block this 4x3 space off from the rest of the closet so light does not escape the area? Also, Do I need to worry about heat from the light in a basement corner with winter coming? 

Thanks for your thoughts on my current headache...

I'm a new patient and will be growing my own but I am having issues with setting up. I've done lots of research on the web but one person says one thing and another says something different so if you can assist I'd appreciate it!

I am using a space that is 4x3 and is located in a basement corner. Right Next to the 4x3 area there is an automatic dehumidifier that is vented outside, there isn't much I can do about that because it's bolted to my wall, not your typical 3 foot high dehumidifier. I bought my light set up already, it is a 600 watt hps with wing hood and then for vegging I'm using two four foot double bulb T8 fluorescents (4100K bulbs). There is drywall on the outside of this closet but nothing on the interior of the closet walls except the studs and basement cement wall on the opposite walls so I was going to nail up OSB on the inside with studs (then paint white or apply mylar) and as for the cement walls I was going to just paint them white. I am new at all of this so any advice will be much appreciated! The dehumidifier acts as an exhaust but I have no intake for fresh air from outside, is that okay as long as I have a fan inside blowing on them? Also the entire closet is probably 12-14 feet long by 4 feet wide but there are things on the other side that cannot be moved so I cannot really utilize any space over there(maybe I can utilize 2x1 right next to my water softener if needed..?), do I need to completely block this 4x3 space off from the rest of the closet so light does not escape the area? Also, Do I need to worry about heat from the light in a basement corner with winter coming? 

I'm not quite keeping up with your description of your grow area and its surroundings.  The best advice I can give at this point is to consider the advice of the gorwer with a setup most similar to yours.  Take his advice only.  You'll get lots of opinions.  If you try to listen to everyone, the best outcome is that you'll pull all your hair out.

I am using a space that is 4x3 and is located in a basement corner. Right Next to the 4x3 area there is an automatic dehumidifier that is vented outside, there isn't much I can do about that because it's bolted to my wall, not your typical 3 foot high dehumidifier.

is the dehumidifyer in the closet or just next to it? if you can shut the closet door and put a filter+fan in the closet you should be ok smell wise, but if not, you may want to try getting some kind of carbon filter for the dehumidifyer to make sure no smells escape your basement.

I bought my light set up already, it is a 600 watt hps with wing hood and then for vegging I'm using two four foot double bulb T8 fluorescents (4100K bulbs). There is drywall on the outside of this closet but nothing on the interior of the closet walls except the studs and basement cement wall on the opposite walls so I was going to nail up OSB on the inside with studs (then paint white or apply mylar) and as for the cement walls I was going to just paint them white.

depending on your basement temperature in winter, it maybe a good idea to add osb and wall it up.

or you can always try it without the osb first to see how it goes.

I am new at all of this so any advice will be much appreciated! The dehumidifier acts as an exhaust but I have no intake for fresh air from outside, is that okay as long as I have a fan inside blowing on them?

yes, basement air is fine, since you have the dehumidifier sending air outside already, it will pull air from upstairs anyhow.

Also the entire closet is probably 12-14 feet long by 4 feet wide but there are things on the other side that cannot be moved so I cannot really utilize any space over there(maybe I can utilize 2x1 right next to my water softener if needed..?), do I need to completely block this 4x3 space off from the rest of the closet so light does not escape the area? Also, Do I need to worry about heat from the light in a basement corner with winter coming? 

well, if there are windows that you can see light at night inside your basement, it may cause nosey neighbors to call police on you.

is there a door on the closet you are using ? if yes, you probably do not need to seal off the 4x3 area, and it will just cause you a lot of trouble for nothing. as long as you dont mind the rest of the stuff in the closet to smell like freshly grown marijuana plants :)

there are reasons to seal off your grow room. one is to limit the smell, control the humidity and temps. you would not believe how much smell these plants will produce. many grow books recommend a sealed room with a fan+filter pulling air from inside and filtering it outside (of the grow room) to make the grow room have negative pressure, and thus smells dont escape.

you may want to watch some videos on youtube of 'how to construct a marijuana grow room' . if just for ideas only.

4x3 is small, but doable. 600W is ok, a good starter.

i hope you mean the flower area is 4x3, and you are vegging elsewhere? if not, using that 2x1 area for vegging would be a good idea.

what heat are you worried about from the light?

most basements are cool , esp in winter, so the heat of a bulb can warm the grow space up nicely to keep the plants happy.

if you are worried about it starting something on fire, as long as you dont enclose the lamp too closely (e.g. allow it to have at least 2-4 feet on all sides of the lamp from any surface) it shouldnt be a problem.

if you are worried about it getting too hot, i dont think a 600W lamp will heat a 12x4x10ft size closet more than 20F. so if basement is 60F, closet should not get to 80F. but you should of course monitor it. and if you have a negative pressure pulling air in from under the closet door, you wont have any problems.

of course i am not a master grower, so my answers might not be the best.

be sure to ask more questions.

heres a list of things i would recommend:

grow calendar/diary to remember when to water/fertilize/prune

automatic water timer (watering manually is not fun.)

fan+carbon filter ($200-400)

light/fan timers

smoke detector (more smoke detectors cant hurt)

4x3

dry basement

already have a working dehumidifier

all good so far !

is the basement heated?

cooled?

year round day and night?

water heater in the room(?) gas or electric?

With 12 plants in your space you'll have a blast!. More, maybe a headache.

Don't over think the walls, like I did. simple plastic or flat white paint will suffice.

cannabis odor can be troublesome for some. consider a medium size air scrubber for odor control.

If you have a door to the space( that should have a lock on it) an intake vent could be cut into and installed there. Your ambient household air will support your needs.

Your dehumidifier is getting its current make up air from somewhere, and that may be negated by a door, not sure. the room will need a fresh air exchange, unfortunately the machine is venting 100% of all of your awesome smells to the outside. you may wish to consider disabling it, and getting a normal one for the space.

your rh, temps, etc parameters can be found in the grow bible by Jorge Cervantes. I've followed every one in there, grew in a 2x4 closet in my home, and had great success from 1st time out and never a room issue. I carried the same control factors into a 480sqfot space separate from my home, with great success again. I hate trial and error ! there needs be no guessing with indoor gardening.

good luck, we're all very helpful here, don't be shy.

genetics chosen yet?

What kind of Deuy is that? Only ones I can think of that vents out is a dessicant- excellent for moisture removal, horrible for masking odors. If that's what you have then definitely need to disable it & get refrigerant based model. Or open vent outside & take ur chances.

It's an easy breathe system that we had installed some years back, it is vented directly out of the basement through the wall (it's slim but probably 6-8 feet tall) and it is directly next to my 4x3 flowering area. I have a small basement window that has a vent in this closet but there are no close neighbors so nothing to worry about there, plus I am Legal now :). There is a gas water heater in the utility closet as well but it is about 4-5 feet from the end of my 4x3 flower space, should be fine since I'm only using a 600 hps and 2 t8 4 ft fluorescents to veg? My veg area is now about 4x1, it's not much but room is not my friend within this closet, veg area is directly next to my water softener and well tank but since I am only one who goes in there it should be fine I think, any input is always nice from you pros... I am trying to figure out how to separate the veg area and flower area so that the different lights don't reach both sides, is black poly plastic just a fire hazard? Should I separate the veg area from the water softener and well tank as well? Maybe another sheet of plastic? The clones will be ready in about a week...

Thanks for the replies so fast, you are all already making this a bit easier for me, I appreciate it much!!!

disable that dehumidifier, and replace with a smaller stand alone unit. Meter readers, nosy cops, etc WILL smell your garden, and WILL cause issues. I don't ever want to read here that your meter reader turned you in and the smell was the probable cause. do it, and do it now--lol

the pilot light under you heater will help you big time. Don't worry about fresh air, it's in there. If you expand, you'll need new directions though. Cold temps are no worries, but mold and mildew are. keep that dehumidifier se to 45-50 RH. Dry your harvest somewhere else besides the basement for best results, in another contolled area.  I use an "s" shape plastic curtain as a light lock I can walk in and out of like a mini maze curtain. The plastic wont start on fire unless fire touches it. Keep fans, flames, electrical cords etc away from combustible items, and off of the floor if possible.

welcome back GregS

A common oversight we see in advice is the issue with creating negative pressure in a basement.   Sure this helps keep smell confined, but if you're drawing large volumes of air through a filter and then discharging that outside of the basement, the resulting negative pressure can create issues not only with the efficiency of your furnace/AC but also you might be creating indoor air quality issues, such as a gas water heat that won't vent properly.

Has that ever been a real problem? It seems like that would take an extraordinary air flow. With a standard closed room with air leaks, is there really any chance of a problem? Are you speaking of creating negative pressure in the room containing the unit itself, or the whole basement?

How would somebody tell if it is a problem?

I don't know what the chances are of a problem in a room vs. not a room etc or really very much about the topic at all....certainly not enough to give advice other than "be careful."    I saw this problem develop first hand while working in a basement grow area where the water heater was located outside the veg room (and outside the flower room too).  The water heater was a gas unit with a passive vent (as opposed to those with a power vent with a small blower inside).   I had put on a load of laundry and when the water heater kicked on, you could actually see the exhaust spilling out the bottom of the steel "chimney" where the exhaust piping met the top of the water heater.  The exhaust was visible because it was cold outside so the air coming in from the chimney was chilly and the water vapor was easy to see.  I then shut off the 6" blower for the veg scrubber and could see the water heater exhaust start slowly flowing out the chimney as it should, rather than into the room. 

Here's a link to some relevant discussion:  http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?591732-Basement-Negitive-Pressure

I'm not an HVAC guy, so I can't specifically answer your questions.  I just have read enough to have developed a concern for this.  A quick google search for "basement negative pressure" will bring up loads of information on the dangers of negative pressure and gas appliances.  For my own use, I sleep pretty well with a CO/natural gas detector.

i dont know why everyone gets this wrong. you grow in a closet (or grow tent) inside of the basement. you create negative pressure inside the closet/tent and just vent back into the basement.

no muss, no fuss, no crazy airflow problem at all.

For someone using smaller lights, that is great.  But trying to deal with the heat from a few 1,000watt lights has many growers venting to the outdoors or to upper floors of the house.

i dont know why everyone gets this wrong. you grow in a closet (or grow tent) inside of the basement. you create negative pressure inside the closet/tent and just vent back into the basement.

no muss, no fuss, no crazy airflow problem at all.

recall op has a built in wall mounted dehumidifier that exhausts directly outdoors, a bit different than your scenario..

Does not a pilot light generate CO2? Is running exhaust up a vent pipe a worthwhile investment?

Here's a truth;

My c02 generator runs 12 hours on and off, with a pilot always on . With the burners off the pilot light will keep my tight room at around 600ppm's eventually, until I open doors etc. With burners set they maintain a 1500ppm with a few fire ups a day. My carbon monoxide tester has never sounded, unless I test it under my vehicle exhaust, and my o2 sensor never alarms without tests also, in the room. I burn propane to produce c02 with zero exhaust.

I dont know much about the negative pressure but that water heater is brand new, and its a very efficient power vent that vents out the wall.The room is not completely air tight, up top by the rafters is still open between studs because the rafters stopped the drywall, i was gonna use small squares of osb to block it off but now I am unsure. If I was to put a small vent in the door that would help with pressure in the room but would smell escape even if I leave the dehumidifier on low and vented outside?

Has that ever been a real problem? It seems like that would take an extraordinary air flow. With a standard closed room with air leaks, is there really any chance of a problem? Are you speaking of creating negative pressure in the room containing the unit itself, or the whole basement?

How would somebody tell if it is a problem?

Basically all water heaters (or any open flame burner) has incomplete combustion that produces carbon monoxide along w co2. A few hundred cfm of negative pressure will pull air back into the basement from a passive exhaust tube hooked up yo a water heater.

Guy I knew could smell it & would complain of headaches. Personally felt he had an ongoing issue of mild, continuous co poisoning. Brought my pricey co2 controller in there & within sev minutes of the water heater running would spike the co2 close to 2500 ppm's... didnt have a co monitor on hand, but it hadbto be over safe limits... probably over 100ppms, just a guess.

A smoke pen or matches will visually show the backdraft as well.

I understand what you mean but I believe that would only occur if the room was airtight, there are vents in the basement that are both cold air intake and forced air vents (for the furnace) so as long as my utility closet is not air tight I should be fine. Gonna finish making preparations today and hope everything goes good, a couple CO2 detectors can't hurt!

("The types that hate their job and come home and slam beers on the couch are not satisfied with what I do. Oycodone, mscontin, Prozac users are generally not happy with my services.")

Making sure that I do not accept a patient that I am sure I cannot help is important to me while attempting to get those patients  the help they need quickly. If I entertain the idea of caregiving for someone when I know I most likely will not be able to help them I'd be doing a disservice .  Experience has taught me which patients to invite into my registry for the best positive patient outcome. Job haters who slam beers nightly have always been the types that I find I cannot service properly.

The patients that are most happy with me fit certain models admittedly, coincidentally/incidentally . I provide this service at very low cost to my patients, barely enough to continue servicing this way......The last thing I want to do is complicate my life with types who historically do not like me or what I do. 

All of the people I know and love actually are happy, patients and friends, good and bad health, love their job, life, and people. Misery loves company though, and I feel blessed to be surrounded in life by others who feel as I do. It wasn't always like that for me, until I realized I had choices.

Yes, this narrows down my patient pool significantly, good thing I don't care if I have patients or not. If they are to be, then it's up to me.

But imagine surrounding yourself with just patients that love you and what you do for them, never having issues, knowing and trusting them on another level? We have permission to do so.

Namaste

I hope you've not misunderstood. My post said nothing about how good I was. I am flattered that you can see that just from my posts though, because frankly, I try to be the best I can be all the time. I owe it to myself, and to you too. You should be suspicious hun, of everyone, even here. You are in a marijuana forum, and don't know but a fraction of the players. You say you feel vulnerable at times, and are suspicious of many others too, like doctors and lawyers and posters here, s should follow your instinct.

I just do what I do that is best for me. The key was to find others that share the same expectations as I do with medical cannabis. I'm smart enough to know I cant satisfy everyone. there is no "best" mj, or best grower, just different flavors and habits is all.

So I set out to locate others with similar dispositions. it's by no error that the majority of my patients have been artists, musicians, self employed, nerds, hippie girls and guys. they always have a smile on their face, are happy to see me, and I actually look forward to working for them.

Now, honestly, if I became money hungry, and needed additional income, I would let everyone and anyone enter my registry at will, set a minimum delivery, and just sell and re register often. I pay no regard to the lifestyles they may live, or the company they keep, or their criminal record, their education, points of interest, hygiene, drinking or drug habits, living arrangements and stuff.

That's not me. I want to know clean hippie girls, and rock and blues musicians, and more witty nerds. Why you say? because I can of course, this is my show, it belongs to me, and I'll do with it as I please. I love my results, so I'm going to keep on doing what I've always done, and expect the same as I've always got.

love